• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I don't actually know whether or not she'll be in. To me it's more of a toss up since Wayforward added some very odd things with their final DLC for Shantae: Half Genie Hero that could be taken as a way to slip past a NDA. I fully expect her as at least an assist trophy though since she was right there with Shovel Knight in the ballot period and he was added as an AT. In the end it's all speculation though and none of what we're saying right now really matters. The characters have already been made and our voices were heard 3 years ago. There's really no point getting riled up over each other's opinions, just respect them.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
I don't know guys I'm not sure Inkling has a shot.
:ultpacman: I see how this is gonna be.

I mean, Inkling is a stretch but like, Mario? I don't know why people are so confident in him making it, he hasn't been relevant in years and his franchise is basically dead. What do you guys think?

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Last one for the night.

Thank you sam☆jam for the Skull Kid stock icon
skull_kid.PNG

Made about 9 of these now. 7 are possible. 2 are goemon.
Might make more tomorrow. See if I can hunt down more speculated newcomers that were leaked.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I'm more confused why people think everyone has a shot of returning..there are always cuts..at the very least Young Link won't, Toon Link replaced him.
Let's you and I have a talk. Shall we?

Cave Story is an iconic game. For a time, it was THE indie game. This game, made by one single man as a labor of love, essentially BEGAN the indie market as we know it. Cave Story codified "the indie game," and is extremely widely considered a classic (you are literally the first person I've seen imply it isn't a popular title). Quote has made numerous appearances throughout the years, and though the game's creator has shown no interest in a sequel, Cave Story continues to be released again and again even now, something not many older indies can boast. Cave Story is iconic enough that Quote could very feasibly ever be granted the honor of a slot in Smash.

Undertale lacks that history, but what it has is a staggeringly vast following. In its year of release it was one of the most popular games RELEASED. It has a poignant story and plays with meta elements in some fascinating ways. The fanbase is so widespread and pervasive that they have become a meme in their own right, more or less. The appearance of Sans and Papyrus alone in a Nintendo Direct was considered big enough to warrant its own "headline" rather than a slot in a sizzle reel. Undertale may not have icon status just yet, being young, but it is INARGUABLY popular.

Shovel Knight is an example of a Kickstarter campaign run amazingly well. Yacht Club Games have been extremely dedicated to fulfilling every single promise they have made, to the point that what were originally mere moveset swaps blossomed into separate titles; the extra campaigns are so massive they are LITERALLY considered and sold as distinct games. To claim they don't count as a new game is asinine and frankly disingenuous. The man himself quickly became a massively widespread indie icon, to the point he has made appearances in countless games, including Rivals of Aether and a little-known title called SUPER SMASH BROTHERS ULTIMATE. He also has the distinction of being the very first non-Nintendo-made amiibo figure, which is pretty notable in its own right.

Shantae is a platformer series that began on GBC. In the time since, it has done absolutely nil that is remotely comparable to the above games. Granted, she has made appearances in crossover titles as well, but her games are absolutely, objectively not as momentous as any of the aforementioned.

Bottom line. If Shovel Knight, one of the biggest poster boys of Nindies, can only appear as an Assist Trophy... Shantae stands no chance. Period.
Yet for some reason the only Indie characters coming up in conversation frequently during the time of the Ballot were Shovel Knight and Shantae. Qoute or Sans would pop up sometimes, but nowhere as much as those two. Remember, if this game is based off the Ballot, then it's a worldwide popularity contest mixed with Sakurai's unpredictability. Impact and Subjective things aren't as important in this case.

As I said though, Shovel Knight hadn't released in Japan at the time of the Ballot nor when the SSB Ultimate Project Plan was made in 2015. Shovel Knight released in Japan in 2016, localized by Nintendo, to a rather lukewarm reception, which is a shame, so even after release Fan Demand was mostly from the Western front while Shantae may have been requested more evenly between regions (likely more in the West, but Japan still quite likes her).

I've always said, based on all known information, that they had equal chances due to fan demand worldwide being likely closer to equal..but that I didn't see either being particularly likely..

That said..the sadist in me does want to see the storm that'll happen if Shantae is playable and Shovel Knight's an assist..itll make the Waluigi one look like a light drizzle I suspect..though hopefully with no threats to Sakurai..

Last edited:

Professor Lexicovermis

Smash Journeyman
I'm more confused why people think everyone has a shot of returning..there are always cuts..at the very least Young Link won't, Toon Link replaced him.

Yet for some reason the only Indie characters coming up in conversation frequently during the time of the Ballot were Shovel Knight and Shantae.

As I said though, Shovel Knight hadn't released in Japan at the time of the Ballot nor when the SSB Ultimate Project Plan was made in 2015. Shovel Knight released in Japan in 2016, localized by Nintendo, to a rather lukewarm reception, which is a shame, so even after release Fan Demand was mostly from the Western front while Shantae may have been requested more evenly between regions (likely more in the West, but Japan still quite likes her).

I've always said, based on all known information, that they had equal chances due to fan demand worldwide being likely closer to equal..but that I didn't see either being particularly likely..
Quote was discussed. I saw quite a few individuals (myself included) suggest him as a big possibility.

And if you specifically mean "frequent" well, you're still incorrect: there was quite a bit of talk of Sans.

Last edited:

blazefan519

Smash Ace
Gonna call it a night guys. Besides it getting a teensy tiny bit heated there for a second, I had a nice time talking with you all. See ya later :)

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Quote was discussed. I saw quite a few individuals (myself included) suggest him as a big possibility.
I know, I edited my post to add that Quote and Sans had occasional mentions, I meant the frequency of how often they were brought up. I saw many, many more mentions of Shovel Knight and Shantae over any other Indie character.

Omniomega

Smash Apprentice
In terms of new character reveals and the current trend going about. This puts a smile on my face :D

So now let's play a game.

What's the character you want revealed and who do we gotta kill to make it happen :D

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Are you guys serious?
K Rool just had a hit game on the Wii U, and another on the Switch, of course he'd get in.
But Inkling? She hasn't been relevant since the snes era and a cameo in a Mario baseball game.
Unless Sakurai starts listening to fan requests, Inkling has no chance.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know, I edited my post to add that Quote and Sans had occasional mentions, I meant the frequency of how often they were brought up. I saw many, many more mentions of Shovel Knight and Shantae over any other Indie character.
And Freddy.
Don't forget Freddy. :V

Noipoi

Howdy!
In terms of new character reveals and the current trend going about. This puts a smile on my face So now let's play a game.

What's the character you want revealed and who do we gotta kill to make it happen :D
I want Geno to kill Wario, only to regret it terribly when he realizes Wario isn't Booster.

I want Incineroar to kill Pikachu-Libre, there's only room for one wrestling Pokemon in this game.

I want Isabelle to accidentally destroy the cunning god of death and kill Ridley.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I discovered this picture in my folder for a while and with :ultmegaman:, :ultmario:, :ultluigi: and :ultkingdedede: dying, I found Sakurai's master plan.
Sakurai.jpg

Yes I know it should be on the right hand, but I do not care. :p
Gonna call it a night guys. Besides it getting a teensy tiny bit heated there for a second, I had a nice time talking with you all. See ya later :)
Good night! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
WHAT IS A GAME?!

A MISERABLE LITTLE PILE OF CODING?

BUT ENOUGH TALK... HAVE AT YOU!
That reminds me. I love how in every single reaction to the August Direct (at least that I watched), everyone quoted that line when Dracula showed up.

If there really is a story mode, and Dracula is a boss in it, I want that exchange quoted, word for word, before you fight him.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
is there even a smash game in development
Not as far as we know, but there is a rumor floating around that Smash 4 is getting a port.

There's going to be nothing new except for a bunch of newcomers and returning veterens who were previously cut, a new artsyle, redone stages, new game modes, significant changes to the game's engine and mechanics, a plethora of new items, pokeballs and assist trophies, and even a new title.

You know, typical port stuff.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
One thing I never understood is how having a strong history with Nintendo helps Shantae. If the idea is to push Shantae as the representative for indies in Smash, they’d definitely go for a character that’s way more popular. I don’t think she’s anywhere close to being the face of indies. I barely see talk about Shantae outside of Smash, but I do see Shovel Knight, Cave Story, and Undertale get discussed all the time. Given how Cloud was chosen to be the Final Fantasy character because he’s the most popular, I would think a more popular indie would be chosen to represent indies. Plus it’s just more marketable.

However since WayForward’s been all quiet lately, I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s in the game in some form. I wouldn’t be happy if she’s playable. To tell you the truth she’s the one character I’m actually actively against, and part of the reason is because of how obnoxious WayForward was during the ballot. Thanks to that one ****** posting that pic with Sakurai and the #Seeyouinsmash crap we’ve got a bunch of misinformation spreading about “Sakurai visiting indie studios” or “WayForward spoke with Sakurai multiple times”.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Not as far as we know, but there is a rumor floating around that Smash 4 is getting a port.

There's going to be nothing new except for a bunch of newcomers and returning veterens who were previously cut, a new artsyle, redone stages, new game modes, significant changes to the game's engine and mechanics, a plethora of new items, pokeballs and assist trophies, and even a new title.

You know, typical port stuff.
Sounds similar to most fighting games getting sequels. Weird.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I can't decide if Pit crawling out of the window in that comic or Peach throwing Toad out all ''Take him instead" is the best part of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom