• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I still wish we got Midna as a Twilight Princess rep.
A Midna & Wolf Link duo would have been my first pick of a Zelda newcomer. Yeah it'd be a different Link, but it'd be in a form completely unlike any of our other Links and he'd be sharing the spotlight with someone else. And those two characters combined would really stand out moveset wise to. Ah well.

Hopefully Skull Kid at least makes it in.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I think I'd prefer Hyrule Warriors Impa admittedly. But Skyward Sword Impa would be a good second choice.

Of course in a perfect world we could get both variants as alternates, but..... yeah.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
MM Kokiri Sword - Hero's Shield
Razor Sword - Hero's Shield
Gilded Sword - Mirror Shield
Great Fairy's Sword - Mirror Shield
Not to mention the Majora's Mask Bow and Hookshot!

As for the Boomerang, though, uh... yeah, I got nothing for that one. he throws a zora fin out of nowhere

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
And yet, Shantae is the only one of those that's popular enough to, you know, have more than one game.
Yeah, unlike Cave Story, Undertale, or Shovel Knight, Shantae is Popular and has a series of good games. Cave Story was a one off, Toby Fox implies Undertale is too (which, really, where is there to go anyway), and Shovel Knight still needs to show he won't be a one hit wonder.
Also, on the subject of Young Link, I'm still really hoping he gets an alt costume that replaces all his weapons with their Majora's Mask designs.
I was honestly a bit let down they went with his OoT design again. I know it's iconic and was used in Melee, but MM was where Young Link was the focus rather then Adult Link and also had him actually able to use the Bow and Hookskot.
MM Kokiri Sword - Hero's Shield
Razor Sword - Hero's Shield
Gilded Sword - Mirror Shield
Great Fairy's Sword - Mirror Shield
Only problem with that is they'd have to drastically shorten the Gilded Sword and Great Fairy's Sword, which I honestly wouldn't like despite loving the Gilded Sword.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Yeah, unlike Cave Story, Undertale, or Shovel Knight, Shantae is Popular and has a series of good games. Cave Story was a one off, Toby Fox implies Undertale is too (which, really, where is there to go anyway), and Shovel Knight still needs to show he won't be a one hit wonder.
uh my dude we literally have three shovel knight games, cave story has been released multiple times with changes, and undertale was literally the most popular game of the year it released. Shantae is a mediocre platforming series that is only popular with a very vocal minority. its less smash worthy than Bit.Trip is

Poopyhead

Smash Cadet
Believe it or not, Chrom doesn't have an anime face, if he did I'd argue he looked on model.

The odd thing about the Awakening characters in this game and Smash 4 is that they often tried to look like Japanese models, so you have this strange combination of anime and real life features makes his face look really odd.

That's my theory anyways.
I don't have this problem so much with the FE characters as I do Little Mac. They made him look more Japanese in Smash and left him with his Japanese voice which is completely unfitting to the Mac I know. I wish all the TORIYA and exaggerated grunting would die out, it's so annoying.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I think I'd prefer Hyrule Warriors Impa admittedly. But Skyward Sword Impa would be a good second choice.

Of course in a perfect world we could get both variants as alternates, but..... yeah.
I really doubt we'd get Hyrule Warriors Impa as a fighter. I think they'd rather represent the main series with her then a spin off developed by a third party when given the choice. At most I could see them giving her a few attacks in reference to Warriors, but that's assuming they make her a totally unique fighter in the first place as opposed to a simple Sheik echo.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
WATCHMOJO POSTED THIS:

What your biggest change in Smash Bros Ultimate?
What do you think about this?
I saw the video, but I think WatchMojo forgot to mention about the drastic Final Smash changes. Although the game claims that everyone is back, that's actually a false statement when you consider that the transformation Final Smash fighters are not fully playable anymore.

Similarly, with Charizard being part of the Pokemon Trainer again, we've lost Mega Charizard X.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
This is the type of post that will make you tons of friends around here. Surely.

Last edited by a moderator:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
it is still a crime he wasn't in hyrule warriors
Agreed~

I'd love Hyrule Warriors Impa. It's just down to if Sakurai would use spinoff over canon.

As for the Boomerang, though, uh... yeah, I got nothing for that one. he throws a zora fin out of nowhere
It's believable he could still have his OoT Boomerang.

What's your problem? Can people not like a girl character without some lewd reason? That's a pretty offensive statement, get over yourself.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I saw the video, but I think WatchMojo forgot to mention about the drastic Final Smash changes. Although the game claims that everyone is back, that's actually a false statement when you consider that the transformation Final Smash fighters are not fully playable anymore.
They said "Everyone is Here", not everyone is back. Just because they're not playable doesn't make the statement false, because they're still there.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
As a straight female, no I do not want to **** her. I really like her games and want to see her in Smash. Is that so hard for people to grasp?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

Of any series that needs full alt costumes and not just recolors, it's Zelda. They have such different designs in each game!

I really want to see...
:ultlink: - TP tunic, TP Magic Armor, TP Sumo pants, BotW Soldier outfit (No helm). And fix the Fierce Deity properly, not weird green.
:ultzelda: - TP dress, BotW royal gown, BotW prayer dress, HW dress
:ultganondorf: - TP armor, HW armor, WW robe
:ulttoonlink: - WW Outset

YL should absolutely get some MM stuff. I always wondered why he had the blue hookshot in Melee since YL in OoT couldn't use it...but in MM, YL has a yellow one. It'd be fun if he got an alt costume looking like he did in HW - where he wore the Keaton mask on his head - and then he could get the Razor sword/Hero's shield as his arms.

But if we're gonna talk Zora fins...Zora Link is 100% my favorite transformation...

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
fact is, undertale and shovel knight have passed 1m / 2m copies respectively (i imagine undertale has significantly more since that pretty dated post), which is like the actual definition of popular lol – people showing their support in the most tangible way we can really measure

additionally, all three have continued to release on multiple platforms since their debuts. shovel knight in particular has received expansion packs which are almost new games, in that they're new content which fans of the series continue to buy. not to mention shovel knight being popular enough to appear in games like roa, yooka-laylee, and uh, smash ultimate

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
What's your problem? Can people not like a girl character without some lewd reason? That's a pretty offensive statement, get over yourself.
I literally have no idea why people get so defensive over these really mediocre platformers and really want her in Smash. Can you give me a reason why Shantae is better than Shovel Knight? Maybe I'll understand then.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
People like him you just have to ignore and move on with your day. Nothing good can happen dealing with a pessimist like that.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
uh my dude we literally have three shovel knight games, cave story has been released multiple times with changes, and undertale was literally the most popular game of the year it released. Shantae is a mediocre platforming series that is only popular with a very vocal minority. its less smash worthy than Bit.Trip is
We have 1 Shovel Knight game with 3 expansions, not 3/4 Shovel Knight games. A port even with changes is not a new game. I know it was, I own it, will own it again on Switch, Undertale is one of my favorite Indie games. I disagree, that's a subjective statement, it's popular enough to surpass it's Kickstarter goal, and uh huh, yeah, sure.

Maybe you should just admit you don't like Shantae and move on, you don't have to justify it, it's a personal opinion, everyone's is different.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
No one's asking for Skyward Sword stuff...
Stage, music, an AT character, and a color pallet...good enough
They went so far to represent several game and now TP, which was the main game being repped the last 2 games has none. That makes me a bit sad tbh. They have to fix that and upgrade Midna to playable.
You can keep her as an Assist Trophy to make room for Skull Kid and Impa as playable characters
Yeah...Let’s Go Shantae as the 1st playable Indie rep

Or people actually like the character herself and not due to how she looks...****ing isn’t a good reason to assume someone wants a character for
:ultlink: - TP tunic, TP Magic Armor, TP Sumo pants, BotW Soldier outfit (No helm). And fix the Fierce Deity properly, not weird green.
Inb4 :ultyounglink: becomes Fierce Deity

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
So as a point of reference, I decided to hack together a graphic detailing potential hints of Isabelle's possible inclusion. This is the last time I'll bring her up unless she's confirmed or deconfirmed.
Speaking of Isabelle
Thanks to Splat for the Stock Icon
isabelle.PNG

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I literally have no idea why people get so defensive over these really mediocre platformers and really want her in Smash. Can you give me a reason why Shantae is better than Shovel Knight? Maybe I'll understand then.

Come on now.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
There is no reason because it's all subjective. You can't say that Shovel Knight is definitively better than Shantae and vice versa because at the end of the day, it's personal taste. I prefer Shantae's games thus want her in Smash more, plus she's been with Nintendo ever since her conception on the GBC, giving her even more reason to be in. It's fine if you don't like her and wanted Shovel Knight more, but you can't sit her and overgeneralize a character's fanbase and act all high and mighty over an opinion. Get over yourself.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Like???????? If SHOVEL KNIGHT just gets to be an assist, why would ANYONE think that Shantae would be playable?????????

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
There is no reason because it's all subjective. You can't say that Shovel Knight is definitively better than Shantae and vice versa because at the end of the day, it's personal taste. I prefer Shantae's games thus want her in Smash more, plus she's been with Nintendo ever since her conception on the GBC, giving her even more reason to be in. It's fine if you don't like her and wanted Shovel Knight more, but you can't sit her and overgeneralize a character's fanbase and act all high and mighty over an opinion. Get over yourself.
Truth. It always falls to preference. Like how I want Goemon in these games even though most people give him the same look they gave Richter.
There are many, many character worth being in a game like smash. Lets hope for really good mods

Also, Is Impa a certain, or is she speculation? I heard Skull Kid was a definite from leakers. But I feel like that was a band wagon. I am still lost on who is supposed to be definite at this point. (in reference to leaks)

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
No respect for Adult OOT Link smh
Might look a bit similar to some of his others, but why not? Bring it along!

Also, in re: to the Zora Link above...wouldn't Zora Link be an awesome alt costume too? He does use one of the fins like a shield in MM... I'd totally be down for that, even if it were a bit on the awkward side.
Inb4 :ultyounglink: becomes Fierce Deity
HE **** WELL HAD BETTER!

I have no problem with him just getting a rehash of Triforce Slash - or a clone of Ike's - as long as he puts on the mask and becomes FD first.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
Like???????? If SHOVEL KNIGHT just gets to be an assist, why would ANYONE think that Shantae would be playable?????????
1. Her popularity is immense in Japan as well as here
2. Has a stronger history with Nintendo than any other Indie Character
3. Because people have opinions and just want her in

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't help that BOTW Link doesn't quite stand up straight like Young Link so BOTW Link looks a bit smaller than he should.
Still, I think Young Link should be a tad more... lithe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom