• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'm happy YL is back... I'm just not happy that his model (and Chrom's) is clearly lower quality than the rest of the cast.
Yeah, I wanted Young Link back too.

Even though I use Toon Link and not Young Link. :laugh:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Is Young Link's Model really that bad though? I know that Chrom's looks pretty rough but I didn't think Young Link's looked that bad. Am I just overlooking something?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So here's a topic that hasn't been brought up.

In Smash 4, Omega stages often took some neat liberties. They were all clearly based on the same place as the normal stage but were often a different part of it. For example, Onett's omega form takes place on the Drug Store and Pirate Ship's omega form takes place on one of the outposts.

Now, I'd like you to think about all the new stages and all of the stages that weren't in Smash 4. Do you see any unique locations where omega and battlefield forms could be?

I got one, I think that Saffron City's omega form could just be the helipad.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I wanted Young Link back too.

Even though I use Toon Link and not Young Link. :laugh:
Toon Link is my favourite incarnation of Link in-universe, but to be honest his playstyle in Smash is a bit too floaty for me. I like Young Link's stockier build and more grounded movement, and he also represent two of my most nostalgic games of all time. He reminds me of when I was just a boy myself.

Bionichute

Smash Champion

In Smash 4, Omega stages often took some neat liberties. They were all clearly based on the same place as the normal stage but were often a different part of it. For example, Onett's omega form takes place on the Drug Store and Pirate Ship's omega form takes place on one of the outposts.

Now, I'd like you to think about all the new stages and all of the stages that weren't in Smash 4. Do you see any unique locations where omega and battlefield forms could be?

I think its going to be more difficult now that Omega and Battlefield forms now all share the same properties.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Omega Havenbow could be two big leaves touching tips, to make a flat platform.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

Brinstar Depths Omega form is on Kraid's belly.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Models aren't final. Odds are it'll look better by launch. How much better? Dunno. Could be minimal, could be a lot.

Michaelrexx

Smash Cadet
I think its going to be more difficult now that Omega and Battlefield forms now all share the same properties.
Oh no ): I just realized they may all just be somewhat basic looking platforms. Since they're all basically the same size. Unless that's not what he meant

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
But that's just one image. In his gameplay video he looks stunning. He looks great.

Okay yeah, that's a good point.
I certainly hope he looks better in motion while I'm playing the game. But the stills make him look very strange. He does look a bit better in the trailer, though it still bothers me a little how clay-like and artificial his hair looks.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Green Hill Zone's omega form could be the top of the spiral.
Rainbow Cruise could be the magic carpet.
Summit could be the plateau of an icy cliff.
Just spit balling some ideas here.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Fine by me. If every omega/battlefield version is the exact same, then that means more variety in backgrounds and music when watching competitive.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Fine by me. If every omega/battlefield version is the exact same, then that means more variety in backgrounds and music when watching competitive.
Oh yeah its absolutely a good thing, its just more of a problem when trying to think up creative ways they could do it lol

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah its absolutely a good thing, its just more of a problem when trying to think up creative ways they could do it lol
I imagine quite a bit of time was spent brainstorming how they could make every single Omega/Battlefield stage work and have identical geometry!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Say hello to your pokefloats Omega form
pokemans_713.gif

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I imagine quite a bit of time was spent brainstorming how they could make every single Omega/Battlefield stage work and have identical geometry!
Actually, there's a video floating around where its shown that the basic Battlefield's main platform has a hitbox that doesn't match its model. So they can deviate a lot as long as it basically fits within those measurements. Its kinda weird

Noipoi

Howdy!
Say hello to your pokefloats Omega form
View attachment 159433
I like to imagine six years ago Sakurai went to Gamefreak and said-
"Yo, i know i just got Greninja but in 6 years i'm making a Pokefloats 2 and i'm gonna try to make every stage viable, do me a solid?"
And Gamefreak replied with-
"we got u fam"
And thus Avalugg was born.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Actually, I think there'd be more people who'd enjoy the "Kraid belly" stage than y'all would imagine...

Except me. I know stuff...
Untitled.png

I seriously didn't need that thought.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I just realised that just a little over 50% of characters have a blog post now. Only 36 vets left!

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
The main problem with Young Link's model is that he's just

Real Big
That image everyone always shares of the three links is deceptive. They're not that similar in height.

The issue isn't that Young Link is too big, it's that he's a completely different art style. Adult Link looks extra dainty because of his modern proportions, while Young Link looks big because of his 90s proportions. His head, feet and hands are larger than A Link's, even though he IS quite a bit smaller. That problem will never go away.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
That image everyone always shares of the three links is deceptive. They're not that similar in height.

The issue isn't that Young Link is too big, it's that he's a completely different art style. Adult Link looks extra dainty because of his modern proportions, while Young Link looks big because of his 90s proportions. His head, feet and hands are larger than A Link's, even though he IS quite a bit smaller. That problem will never go away.
Whoa, that is an awesome picture. Here's hoping we can take the same picture with Skull Kid and Impa beside them soon! <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom