• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
That image everyone always shares of the three links is deceptive. They're not that similar in height.

The issue isn't that Young Link is too big, it's that he's a completely different art style. Adult Link looks extra dainty because of his modern proportions, while Young Link looks big because of his 90s proportions. His head, feet and hands are larger than A Link's, even though he IS quite a bit smaller. That problem will never go away.
Y'know, i'm not even a fan of Skull Kid, but if you put every Mario character together in a picture like this they would all look different.
If you put every Pokemon character in a picture like this they would all look different. The Zelda series should get to look a little different.

Last edited:

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of this image, it bothers me due to another photo of YL having softer hair. Like HOW do you go from soft to blocky looking hair just like that?
All I can think is that the pictures were taken at different points in development? Maybe his model looks better in more recent builds of the game? Maybe I'm being too hopeful but I really do hope his model looks more consistently high-quality by release...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That image everyone always shares of the three links is deceptive. They're not that similar in height.

The issue isn't that Young Link is too big, it's that he's a completely different art style. Adult Link looks extra dainty because of his modern proportions, while Young Link looks big because of his 90s proportions. His head, feet and hands are larger than A Link's, even though he IS quite a bit smaller. That problem will never go away.
The Chad 90s Anime Aesthetic pulls through again

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I understand the whole "in development" point, but why prominently show that image when it's clearly unfinished? Who signed off on that?
The same person who signed off on Chrom's everything.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Is Young Link's Model really that bad though? I know that Chrom's looks pretty rough but I didn't think Young Link's looked that bad. Am I just overlooking something?
I've brought this up before, but a big difference between Young Link's Model and Chrom's model is the art direction. Young Link's model isn't great on a technical level, but he looks spot on from an aesthetic level. Chrom, meanwhile, really just doesn't look like Chrom to me. His face doesn't match, his eyes are wider, which completely changes his personality, his jawline is wrong, in general he's kind of just been given a generic anime face. But his model's also bad on a technical level, too.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm gonna be real... I'd be mad that it wasn't Quote, Undyne, or literally any other popular indie game character. I mean, compared to Undertale and Cave Story, Shante doesn't have the true popularity or *cough*money making power*cough like those two. I mean, Cave Story was the posterboy for the Nintendo Wii Shop and Undertale is like... Undertale.
And yet, Shantae is the only one of those that's popular enough to, you know, have more than one game.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

This image is just... troubling.
I swear, it deadass looks like whipped cream.

This is a pretty old picture though, because luckily later images like his fighter video and some segments during the E3 and August Direct removed that problem.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
800px-SSBUWebsiteYoungLink2.jpg

I think this pic does a much better job of showing what Young Link will look like in the full game. The hair looks much better.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
I understand the whole "in development" point, but why prominently show that image when it's clearly unfinished? Who signed off on that?
Yeah, this is one of the things that's been bothering me. If this really is an image from early in development... why have it on the site to begin with? Sure it could be a comparison image, like "Here's how he looked early on, he looks much better now" but if that is the case it should be communicated.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Also, on the subject of Young Link, I'm still really hoping he gets an alt costume that replaces all his weapons with their Majora's Mask designs.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I've brought this up before, but a big difference between Young Link's Model and Chrom's model is the art direction. Young Link's model isn't great on a technical level, but he looks spot on from an aesthetic level. Chrom, meanwhile, really just doesn't look like Chrom to me. His face doesn't match, his eyes are wider, which completely changes his personality, his jawline is wrong, in general he's kind of just been given a generic anime face. But his model's also bad on a technical level, too.
Believe it or not, Chrom doesn't have an anime face, if he did I'd argue he looked on model.

The odd thing about the Awakening characters in this game and Smash 4 is that they often tried to look like Japanese models, so you have this strange combination of anime and real life features makes his face look really odd.

That's my theory anyways.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I'm fine with seeing unfinished work because it makes the comparison with the final product that much more interesting.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
View attachment 159441
I think this pic does a much better job of showing what Young Link will look like in the full game. The hair looks much better.
Oh sure, Young Link looks great in this picture. But on the other hand, something seems really off about Dodongo's character model.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Just to note, Bit.Trip has seven games. If more games = more popularity, then Commander.Video should have been in smash before Little Mac or Shulk.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Believe it or not, Chrom doesn't have an anime face, if he did I'd argue he looked on model.

The odd thing about the Awakening characters in this game and Smash 4 is that they often tried to look like Japanese models, so you have this strange combination of anime and real life features makes his face look really odd.

That's my theory anyways.
Well, I mean, "anime" as a catch-all is about as descriptive as "comic book style" is over here.

Kozaki Yusuke is fond of much lighter stylization than the average "anime character," which actually should make it easier to translate the designs into 3D. And yet...

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm happy Young Link backs, he was my favourite Link. And that Wario picture, he looks absolutely stunning. Can't wait to see more

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

I love how the Zelda characters have designs based in different games instead of just 1-2 like the last 3 (I suppose 4) games

:ultlink::ultsheik:- BOTW for Link overall while Sheik has her gear straight up taken
:ultzelda:- ALITP/ALBW
:ultganondorf::ultyounglink:- OoT/MM
:ulttoonlink:- Wind Waker

Some great design representation for them

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
They are clearly rushing pretty hard to get the game actually done. I'd expect some weirdness before the first few patches hit, just saying.

Also I'm a gameplay guy. If you like the floaty Link type of character, the way I look at it your main has two chances to be good. I can't imagine going into this game specifically wanting one of Young Link vs Toon Link; just approach them both neutrally and play whichever one turns out better while being happy you get double chances at a strong character. Toon Link was pretty average in 4, but I think the fundamental design is actually pretty strong and Toon Link was a major sleeper for Brawl's entire lifespan so I think it's a moveset worth taking seriously in an unknown new game especially with two shots at turning out well.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I love how the Zelda characters have designs based in different games instead of just 1-2 like the last 3 (I suppose 4) games

:ultlink::ultsheik:- BOTW for Link overall while Sheik has her gear straight up taken
:ultzelda:- ALITP/ALBW
:ultganondorf::ultyounglink:- OoT/MM
:ulttoonlink:- Wind Waker

Some great design representation for them
They went so far to represent several game and now TP, which was the main game being repped the last 2 games has none. That makes me a bit sad tbh. They have to fix that and upgrade Midna to playable.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

I don't really have a problem with his proportions. Maybe he is a bit on the big side, but I can let that slide.

What I do think is interesting though is that Zelda seems to be slightly taller than Link again. I do like him as tall as or a bit shorter than her, so her BotW incarnation was meh to me. I still preferred her to be a colder queen like in TP so this new cheerful version will take getting used to. The Dorf's looking great sizewise compared to Link, Zelda, and YL.

Still, I'm pretty happy with the state we have currently. I could always use more Zelda characters though...Urbosa...Midna...Skull Kid....

They went so far to represent several game and now TP, which was the main game being repped the last 2 games has none. That makes me a bit sad tbh. They have to fix that and upgrade Midna to playable.
Twili Midna as a Zelda echo is also an option I'd be okay with. She might need to be a bit taller, but there's still loads of space to still be shorter than Ganon. That would be epic.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The lack of any MM-influence on Young Link is a shame. Young Link with the Razor Sword like in official art would be rad.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I still wish we got Midna as a Twilight Princess rep.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I don't really have a problem with his proportions. Maybe he is a bit on the big side, but I can let that slide.

What I do think is interesting though is that Zelda seems to be slightly taller than Link again. I do like him as tall as or a bit shorter than her, so her BotW incarnation was meh to me. I still preferred her to be a colder queen like in TP so this new cheerful version will take getting used to. The Dorf's looking great sizewise compared to Link, Zelda, and YL.

Still, I'm pretty happy with the state we have currently. I could always use more Zelda characters though...Urbosa...Midna...Skull Kid....
I like Link being really short and slim. Helps make the odds seem more stacked against him. Also why I generally prefer the younger Links. You have a Link like TP Link, who, yes, has a neat design, but he's tall, fit, covered in layers of chainmail and leather and just generally looks ready to go kick butt. It hardly takes courage to enter a fight when you're a badass.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
So as a point of reference, I decided to hack together a graphic detailing potential hints of Isabelle's possible inclusion. This is the last time I'll bring her up unless she's confirmed or deconfirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom