• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I'd rather have the entire roster of Kirby Star Allies be in the game than a lot of characters

please give us a fighting mode hal

blackghost

Smash Champion
I've loved Ashley for years.
The thought of a little girl studying the dark arts and enslaving demons was awesome to me, I was surprised top see she had such a following here though!
The Ashley thread was great, so full of joy and hope and really cool people, it's a shame no one there got their wish.
i wanted ashley or the SOLE purpose of her and Bayonetta being a pair in a story together with its a great callback to bayonetta original game.
Bayonetta.(Character).600.641838.jpg

yes this is a screenshot. bayo is a legit 8ft tall.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
To be fair of those 6 commonly mentioned echoes, all of them are very very likely
But which of the 6 make it is why everyone is just kinda going nuts
I highly doubt we WONT get one or two or maybe even three of them but who exactly is up in the air
All of them have a good chance so thats part of the excitement
Dixie: I'm half and half on her. On the one hand you can feasibly make an echo out of her if you use Diddy as a base and trade out the right moves, but on the other hand there are traits to her that would make for a more unique implementation. It's definitely a character I want to wait and see how things line up for her, especially since she does have the popularity to at least be considered.

Black Knight: Again, half and half. He has circumstantial evidence that can be taken different ways (the lookalike knight being changed and Ike's BK alt being tweaked) along with having a great amount of popularity among FE fans. He also did get a Mii Costume back with DLC, but that can go either way as it meant well for Chrom and King K. Rool, but Takamaru and Ashley are still stuck in their current roles.

Isabelle: If she's not a unique character, she's an Echo. Her rise in popularity and prominence I do not think will be ignored and I legitimately would be surprised if she's not playable at all.

Medusa: Her and Viridi have an interesting relationship when it comes to being Palutena's Echo. Viridi has more popularity, but may not be feasible as an Echo due to her different stature from Palutena, while Medusa is much more fitting, but doesn't quite have her popularity. I'm not sure how this will go for her, but she does have history within the franchise and there is her VA apparently liking a tweet that asked if she was approached to voice Medusa in the game (though that can mean anything depending on what she intended by it), so the possibility is there.

Shadow: His AT is currently MIA and he's the second most popular Sonic character according to official polls, he definitely has a great chance to be an Echo.

Ken: Again, he has a great chance. He makes a lot of sense to be an Echo due to being THE original clone fighter, and with Ryu's colors being tweaked similar to Samus, there's definitely room to believe he's been made playable.

I'd be happy with all six of these though.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I'd rather have 4 playable Sonic characters than 7 Fire Emblem characters.

GO GET YOUR PITCHFORKS, I CAN HANDLE IT
Well that’s not something to cause a riot for...you get a parade
1199553A-03E6-4537-90B8-A559D7968AD7.gif

Bionichute

Smash Champion
You have to account for the fact they brought back and polished nearly 70 old characters. And a lot of them have got some very significant changes and improvements. There's also the fact they remade one-hundred stages. I don't think it's that unreasonable for there to only be 6-8 unique newcomers.
I think it is when Smash 4 had a year less of development time and still managed to fit in 15 new characters, and still brought a lot of changes to veterans (Bowser is basically an entirely new character). Of course I'm obviously not saying the same thing for returning characters (Well the ones that aren't pichu and young link) but they still have a general idea of the character since they already had designed sets, so the resources wouldn't be AS heavy as a newcomer would be, meaning that there would be more resources for new characters.

Thats just how I see it anyway

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I'd be kind of upset if Viridi made it in before Medusa..Viridi didn't even physically appear in Uprising while Medusa is the original villain of the series and moves to pull from that even echo Smash Palutena's.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Where's our resident expert vaanrose vaanrose to tell us about how modeling works and how long it'd take to bring back older veterans like Wolf or Pichu in comparison to newcomers?

Last edited:

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'd rather have 4 playable Sonic characters than 7 Fire Emblem characters.

GO GET YOUR PITCHFORKS, I CAN HANDLE IT
That's kind of setting the bar low. Everyone knows Fire Emblem fans would never waste their pitchforks. You only get a couple of them per save file after all.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Where's our resident expert vaanrose vaanrose to tell us about how modeling works and how long it'd take to bring back older veterans like Wolf or Pichu?
I never said that they were easy to bring back. The modelling and animations are probably the most difficult part of the returning characters.

D

Deleted member

That's kind of setting the bar low. Everyone knows Fire Emblem fans would never waste their pitchforks. You only get a couple of them per save file after all.
But what if I need them for later?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Where's our resident expert vaanrose vaanrose to tell us about how modeling works and how long it'd take to bring back older veterans like Wolf or Pichu in comparison to newcomers?
I think Pichu and Wolf are different from the fact that while Pichu just seems like an easy upgrade Wolf got a whole ****ing redesign.

though i know nothing about modelling so yeet

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Good point. Go get your credit cards and orbs, I can handle it.

Roberk

Smash Champion
"Well MY [subjective opinion] is MORE DESERVING than YOUR [subjective opinion]. Your [subjective opinion] is WRONG because I don't like it KNOW that my [subjective opinion] is BETTER."

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm happy YL is back... I'm just not happy that his model (and Chrom's) is clearly lower quality than the rest of the cast.
Chrom was probably half-baked because he was recently made. Young Link does have no excuse though

But you think I meant literal in-game pitchforks?
no
im hoping he has dignity to not play gacha

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I feel an important distinction needs to be made. This is aimed at nobody in particular, just something I want to address after spending a few weeks here.

There are three distinct categories by which characters fall into people's predictions- you predict the character because you like them, you predict the character because you think they deserve it, and you predict the character because you expect it. These three categories often overlap for individual characters for people, but they're the three main reasons I see.

Predicting a character because you like them is essentially what it sounds like- you like the character a lot and want to play as them in Smash. I see this often from people who acknowledge that their character of choice is a long shot, but occasionally see it slip through the cracks and appear on people's serious roster predictions. For me, a character I want but have no real basis otherwise to say should be in Smash is Amaterasu. Okami is my 3rd favorite game of all time, but beyond that, she's only appeared in one (and a half?) games on Nintendo systems, so I don't feel she deserves it, and she's a third party, so nor do I expect her.

Next comes the 'this character deserves to be in Smash' arguments. These typically amount from a character's history or massive fan demand. Before their confirmations, Ridley and K. Rool were definitely in the 'deserve it' category- the two were major villains in their franchises, so one would believe they deserve to be showcased alongside Bowser and Ganon. Even if you didn't particularly like them, you could see the case that they deserved to make it, but at the same time they were not expected, K. Rool due to the general 'mistreatment' of the Donkey Kong series, and Ridley due to Sakurai's prior comments. A character 'deserving it' can be subjective, but is a component for making an educated pick for the roster.

And last, comes expecting a character. Expecting a character is a result of evidence and circumstances supporting their appearance, such as the removal of the Dark Samus and Chrom skins for Samus and Ike that led many to believe those characters were arriving. On the flipside (I feel like I really pick on Ashley fans a lot, I really don't mean it, I felt like she could have been cool), people began to just expect Ashley because she had been showing up so much via Badge Arcade, advertising, and the resources put into her game in t new WarioWare. However, whether or not she 'deserved it' was entirely up in the air, as she was just one of the many side characters from the franchise and hadn't even been introduced until the third game in the series.

All in all, what I'm getting at is that there are things to consider when predicting characters- how much you, or even a majority likes them doesn't really matter, but what does contribute to a likely pick is a combination of factors that show they 'deserve it', and evidence in favor of their inclusion. For instance, Majora's Mask isn't particularly high on my list of favorite Zeldas, but on the other hand, I recognize that-
A) Majora's Mask is one of the most revered games in history, with a colossal impact on pop culture, and Skull Kid/Majora are some of the most beloved villains in Zelda, and-
B) The return of so many Majora's Mask elements, like Young Link and Great Bay returning, and the apparent removal and replacement of a fan-favorite Assit Trophy, along with MM3D's release's proximity to the project plan-
Puts a great deal of backing towards Skull Kid's likelihood, despite me not particularly wanting him.

A combination of these three factors needs to be looked at when judging character picks- how much you like them doesn't really matter, but a combination of legitimate evidence in their favor, as well as known popularity, history, or impact, is vital to making good picks. Again, this is not aimed at any particular people or their character choices, just some general guidelines to pick... outside of the ever-prevalent 'Sakurai pick' that nobody has any real hope of pinpointing.

Michaelrexx

Smash Cadet
So ridiculously excited for this game. Probably more than I ever have for a game. The only thing that's bothering me just a bit is that I can pinpoint a few moves on the new characters that look like they're ripped straight from other characters, which they are I'm pretty sure lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom