• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackghost

Smash Champion
He says he's not a Smash guy. So, assume he isn't, what's the motivation to lie? And what sense would Dante in Smash even make?
dantes inclusion from capcom perspective makes sense. classic capcom in MegaMan modern capcom in dante (could also be monster hunter).
plus dante vs. bayonetta is something many people have wanted to have in one game for a long time. Bayonetta and dante are believed to be in the same universe and they have the same creator. smash is a game about making dream matchups happen that is a dream matchup.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
So it's not entirely the same build from E3? So maybe it's gameplay changes, stages, and options, and possibly more vets?
The way they worded it, it sounds like it's the got the same content as before, just with more stuff (presumably, Lucina, Chrom, Dark Samus, Simon, Richter and K. Rool).

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
Well, that's a little disappointing but it's better than it being exactly the same. Was particularly hoping to see stage morph and final smash meter as options.
They tend not to give a lot of rule controls to people playing a demo on a show floor.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Do we actually have concrete evidence the publicly playable demo has ever been different between events? I don't mean like placebo "this felt different" stuff but like some distinctly observable mechanics that are clearly one way at one event and different at another? If so I'd be very interested in the list; that would be great data stuff.

That kill with the cannonball is hilarious, but did anyone really come off that thinking anything but "you know this special really looks pretty bad"? I kinda like some of K.Rool's normals, as plain of a character as he looks like he'll probably be, but man his projectiles are just really uninspiring with what we've seen so far and they grow less inspiring to me the more times I watch them in action.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Something else, I haven't seen anybody else mention it or maybe it was mentioned elsewhere and earlier and I didn't see it because I wasn't here:

Xander's "...wins!" is entirely removed from both footage. It just says the character's name now.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
They tend not to give a lot of rule controls to people playing a demo on a show floor.
That is true but some have changed up the options, like letting some of the competitive players play 5:00 minute 3 stock at CEO.
Something else, I haven't seen anybody else mention it or maybe it was mentioned elsewhere and earlier and I didn't see it because I wasn't here:

Xander's "...wins!" is entirely removed from both footage. It just says the character's name now.
That is something that I noticed, which is odd.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Not entirely on board with either Dante or Heihachi considering they were in PSASBR. I would rather see other characters not related to that crossover series.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
dantes inclusion from capcom perspective makes sense. classic capcom in MegaMan modern capcom in dante (could also be monster hunter).
plus dante vs. bayonetta is something many people have wanted to have in one game for a long time. Bayonetta and dante are believed to be in the same universe and they have the same creator. smash is a game about making dream matchups happen that is a dream matchup.
So...can we get Heihachi and Scorpion, too?

That'd be funny

D

Deleted member

I'm not sure what the deal is with that. Nothing about that makes sense. I wasn't a fan of the "...wins!" but just calling the character name is worse. I'm sure it'll be fixed, but why would they leave it like that when recording gameplay?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Jagi is as edgy as it gets
The most "nothing personal, kid" character ever, accept no substitutes.

That said, I'm looking forward to FOTNS: Lost Paradise.

Do we actually have concrete evidence the publicly playable demo has ever been different between events? I don't mean like placebo "this felt different" stuff but like some distinctly observable mechanics that are clearly one way at one event and different at another? If so I'd be very interested in the list; that would be great data stuff.

That kill with the cannonball is hilarious, but did anyone really come off that thinking anything but "you know this special really looks pretty bad"? I kinda like some of K.Rool's normals, as plain of a character as he looks like he'll probably be, but man his projectiles are just really uninspiring with what we've seen so far and they grow less inspiring to me the more times I watch them in action.
To be fair, giving him the more threatening blunderbuss projectiles would make him broken beyond belief.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something

Yes, we actually have. Only the CEO demo at least.

Not entirely on board with either Dante or Heihachi considering they were in PSASBR. I would rather see other characters not related to that crossover series.
I'm okay w/ it

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Apparently, from what my friends at the Source Gaming Discord, the only thing about the Dante leak that makes it sketchy is that dmcv info was basically the worst kept secret in gaming for a while.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm not sure what the deal is with that. Nothing about that makes sense. I wasn't a fan of the "...wins!" but just calling the character name is worse. I'm sure it'll be fixed, but why would they leave it like that when recording gameplay?
I don't know.
Maybe Sakurai knew that people didn't like it and instead of putting in the already prerecorded "The winner is" people were familiar with, he thought it'd be far better to just remove it all?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yes, we actually have. Only the CEO demo at least.

I'm okay w/ it
That’s cool. I wouldn’t be devastated if they were no included. I am just worried that there would be comparisons made of the two between the two games. I don’t think sakurai would recycle the PSASBR (god I hated the name) movesets for them but that’s one of my big worries that they would be a bit too similar.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

Honestly, they sort of do feel uninspiring. But, King K. Rool doesn’t really look that cool when you compared him to a couple of other characters and what they can do. That’s why I didn’t support him.

Anyways, the reason there isn’t much discussion about the footage is that there really isn’t that much information to get off from.

Chrom’s are obvious and his moveset is Roy’s but with a lot more spacing involved (I’ll still play Roy), Dark Samus barely did anything, King K. Rool was literally using Snake as a punching bag. It’s clear the new chracaters (and Lucina) we’re supposed to win and was just a little snippet of what to come.

Last edited:

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social

Yeah I noticed that this morning. It still feels weird to not have "This game's winner is...", but I feel like the "...wins!" being removed and just saying their name is a good choice.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Isn't it the other way around? :yoshi:
Same for Simon and Richter.

I could see Zack as a Cloud Echo on one condition, Square only adding new stuff that gets them a cut of the amiibo money.

StormC

Smash Hero
I haven't played FFVII but isn't that like Hour One knowledge?
More like 25 hour. Technically if you never return to a sidequest, you will never see the cutscene showing Zack. But it's a solid 2/3 through the game.

Also, Smash has never given a **** about spoilers. :sheikmelee:

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
No but he is the protag of the only game in the expanded FF7 universe that people don't hate so I don't think it's that well kept a secret.

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
No. There's an optional chance to learn about him about midway through disc one, but the whole deal with him is a late game spoiler. That being said, I wouldn't call his entire identity a spoiler. The sword would raise from questions, I suppose.

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Cloud, as anything been said about why they aren't getting his english VA in on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom