• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Po
True, or their stages that can be added nonetheless to not spoil the surprise, probably explaining the three or four empty slot in the Stage Select Screen.
Possible but seing how it was presented by comparing the total with previous games and insisting about the 100 thing I highly doubt it...

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
What does the name "Spirits" imply? Perhaps you're collecting the souls of every Smash character through battle? Or maybe battling their possessed bodies or doing something to help the lost souls reclaim their bodies?

It sounds really interesting, and no matter how you look at it, that HAS to be explained with a story, right?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Guys, I think we're getting a legit Adventure mode.

Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 1.45.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 1.45.26 PM.png

Look at this. You absolutely do NOT fight Dracula on the actual Castlevania stage, we have yet to see him there. He's also fighting Dracula ALONE, just like how Rathalos was fought alone in seemingly his own stage.

GET HYPED. WE GOT REAL BOSSES AGAIN.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Po
Possible but seing how it was presented by comparing the total with previous games and insisting about the 100 thing I highly doubt it...
You know if we follow what Sakurai said we wouldn't have that many newcomers since "We shouldn't expect a lot"
Yet look where we are. 5 Characters in one single direct.
Anything is possible, don't believe his words.

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
I agree almost exactly with you, but I'm going to take Dixie out. Not only did she miss the perfect chance to be in a trailer, but she's not very similar to Diddy. I can be wrong though. I just think she missed her chance.
F for Dixie, then. RIP Diddy's Dragsona.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So... they said there are 103 stages. And I counted the stage select screen... there are 103. But then they show the Monster Hunter stage afterward... so...

I guess the ride keeps going...
Also here's another thing that keeps my eyebrow raised... if this is all the stages we're getting, that probably means no more third-parties, no more new series, and most incriminating of all, no more stages for existing series. No new Xenoblade stage? No Gen VII stage? Idk about that...

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Chrom being an echo of Roy is something that is just so obvious in hindsight. Lucina's gimmick is that she's Marth without tippers, so it only makes sense to give Roy that a version like that to. But we were all too busy arguing over if he'd be a Marth or Ike echo to ever consider it.

I wonder if Chrom will end up outclassing our boy because of this though. Roy's greatest weakness has always been his inability to fully capitalize on his great sword range.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I agree almost exactly with you, but I'm going to take Dixie out. Not only did she miss the perfect chance to be in a trailer, but she's not very similar to Diddy. I can be wrong though. I just think she missed her chance.
I disagree. They're about the same height and weight and, physically, the only big difference between them is that Diddy has a tail but it looks like his tail jab was cut from Ultimate. Dixie as a Diddy Echo is practically a lock now.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Also here's another thing that keeps my eyebrow raised... if this is all the stages we're getting, that probably means no more third-parties, no more new series, and most incriminating of all, no more stages for existing series. No new Xenoblade stage? No Gen VII stage? Idk about that...
I’m suspect. Granted, I think past stage wise we’re absolutely done (or pretty close to) and I think based on the stage select we shouldn’t expect much more

(Not bothering factoring dlc until the game is out)

ALSO sidenote about echoes: they’re really easy to add and appease to a lot of people. They’re basically close to alt skins except with different animations. The range of difference is from dark pit (meh) to Chrom (what the heck he borrows from two characters?!) so I don’t think, say, a few more echo’s at least is unreasonable.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
I cannot help but think the Rathalos boss fight thing is from the Mystery Mode teased by Sakurai. I'd suspect a Story Mode.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I purposely avoided the forums since yesterday to avoid any spoilers; was there any leak discussed here that ended up being right?
Simon

He was accidentally leaked by Nintendo's YouTube page when they had one of his music being on there

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
It's not impossible for a character to get in without having a home stage, it's happened in the past. Plus stages could always get in as DLC. So I dont think we should use the stage list to determine if more franchises will make a playable appearance.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I disagree. They're about the same height and weight and, physically, the only big difference between them is that Diddy has a tail but it looks like his tail jab was cut from Ultimate. Dixie as a Diddy Echo is practically a lock now.
Diddy has always had a gentleman jab though, we don't know if the rapid attack was cut or not. And there's still the definite possibility she could be unique.

Last edited:

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
I purposely avoided the forums since yesterday to avoid any spoilers; was there any leak discussed here that ended up being right?
Someone working on the Smash updates screwed up and accidentally renamed the Boss Galaga music to a well known Castlevania track. They changed it back almost immediately but it was too late. Thus people connected the dots to Simon.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I know it wouldn't happen, but how amazing would it be if you could choose the CSS from each game? Like, at the top right there would be a button and if you pressed it, the CSS would shrink and only show SSB64 characters (With all of the other characters faded out in the background) and each time you pressed it, it would rotate to the different games. Damn, I want that now haha.

Bayopuff

Smash Apprentice
We've gotten a new Pokemon character every game so i'd bet on it. I think it'll be Incineroar, personally.
Well, since there'll probably be one, it's safe to say it'll fit into these categories:
  • Be from the Alola Region.
  • Be a starter or popular Pokemon.
  • If it's a starter it'll be a final evolution.
Now that you mention it, it will probably be Incineroar, since Decidueye was deconfirmed and there isn't much you can do with Primarina. (Though I may be surprised)

If that's the case, I think Incineroar will be similar to Little Mac in general playstyle, but it'll hopefully have a better recovery and general air game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Excuse me did Simon just tether with a basic attack?
Looks like his B-Air has a tether property. I’m assuming its only going to be only a few of his aerials that have a tether property (possibly U-Air and F-Air). On the other hand, this could be his Up-B or if his Up-B isn’t a recovery tool, then the tether property could make up for the fact that has a worse recovery.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Today Dixie seems to me more possible than yesterday, but only as semi echo.
Dark Samus missed the Ridley trailer too and here is. Chrom is not a pure echo, he differs from Roy in some moves as... The up special, just as Dixie could fit. Today's impression is that we'll get a bunch of echoes, Dixie just sounds right there, maybe she didn't went as well as K. Rool but maybe good enough for an echo slot.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think this means that Vergeban has generally been correct and that Isabelle is in.

Isabelle, Pokemon, any others? Time to scroll through the Mii costumes again for hints.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I’m suspect. Granted, I think past stage wise we’re absolutely done (or pretty close to) and I think based on the stage select we shouldn’t expect much more

(Not bothering factoring dlc until the game is out)

ALSO sidenote about echoes: they’re really easy to add and appease to a lot of people. They’re basically close to alt skins except with different animations. The range of difference is from dark pit (meh) to Chrom (what the heck he borrows from two characters?!) so I don’t think, say, a few more echo’s at least is unreasonable.
Yeah, it's not like I'm expecting a wealth of unrevealed stages... but I'm pretty skeptical we're 100% done.

As far as the echoes, yeah. My main issue stems from people treating them as something new to the series. The name's the only new part. I'm expecting a few more as well. Including, in all likelihood, Shadow and Isabelle. It is funny how Chrom is an echo but Dr. Mario isn't though.

I cannot help but think the Rathalos boss fight thing is from the Mystery Mode teased by Sakurai. I'd suspect a Story Mode.
That's possible, but even if that's the case, being completely done with stages seems a large pill to swallow. For me at least.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I think this means that Vergeban has generally been correct and that Isabelle is in.

Isabelle, Pokemon, any others? Time to scroll through the Mii costumes again for hints.
I mean him being partially correct about some things and totally incorrect on others kinda means to me that we can't infer that anything else he said is right until they get confirmed.
Even if they come from the same source, tbh

As far as I care people should try to not attach themselves to leakers so much

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A while ago, I made a joke about characters doing the what is a man speech to Dracula. It may actually be a legit possibility now.

Probably still isn't happening, but we have Richter and Dracula, so at least have it happen with those two.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
That's possible, but even if that's the case, being completely done with stages seems a large pill to swallow. For me at least.
It is. No new universes after Castlevania seems weird but the tone used really has me thinking this is all we will get.

Besides anothe thing about Rathalos is that if the stage he appears on is a regular pne, what would happen if he was summoned as an assist too?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Yeah, it's not like I'm expecting a wealth of unrevealed stages... but I'm pretty skeptical we're 100% done.

As far as the echoes, yeah. My main issue stems from people treating them as something new to the series. The name's the only new part. I'm expecting a few more as well. Including, in all likelihood, Shadow and Isabelle. It is funny how Chrom is an echo but Dr. Mario isn't though.

I both think that Monster Hunter encounter is part of the adventure mode AND we'll probably end up seeing more stages.

Big 'ol probably though, it did kinda seem to me to be final with the way it was worded. But I wouldn't be shocked if something else happened

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I think I had an epiphany.

What if the gun Sakurai teased way long ago is used in the next character's trailer - possibly Elma - to fulfill every gamer's wish of finally being able to shoot Duck Hunt? I think that would fit in with the body counts going on too amd it would just work perfectly.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace

I'm personally thinking 2-4 more unique newcomers and 3-7 more echoes depending on the amounts of effort they take.
Shadow is pretty much the safest Echo fighter bet I can think of, Simon having a clone allows Sonic to as well, and new knuckles assist with no Shadow assist to be seen. After Shadow, Dixie Kong looks pretty likely now that we know echoes can have different recovery moves than the original character from Chrom.
It would also be safe to assume that Vergeben was correct in how Isabelle and (presumably) Incineroar are on the way, with Minecraft also receiving some sort of representation (like monster hunter most likely).

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Today Dixie seems to me more possible than yesterday, but only as semi echo.
Dark Samus missed the Ridley trailer too and here is. Chrom is not a pure echo, he differs from Roy in some moves as... The up special, just as Dixie could fit. Today's impression is that we'll get a bunch of echoes, Dixie just sounds right there, maybe she didn't went as well as K. Rool but maybe good enough for an echo slot.
But Dark Samus doesn't have any relation to Ridley other than the fact that they're both metroid villains, where would she fit into ridley's trailer?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
With how Chrom is a mix of Ike and Roy, do you guys think that Dixie is gonna be an Echo if she has completely different special moves?

Iridium

Smash Hero
Can we talk about how weird it is that Castlevania has 34 music tracks, while Final Fantasy still has 2? It feels so awkward saying that.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
I think Verg's first source was the only one that's correct.

I think I had an epiphany.

What if the gun Sakurai teased way long ago is used in the next character's trailer - possibly Elma - to fulfill every gamer's wish of finally being able to shoot Duck Hunt? I think that would fit in with the body counts going on too amd it would just work perfectly.
Does this mean that Duck Hunt is the next one to die ?

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
With how Chrom is a mix of Ike and Roy, do you guys think that Dixie is gonna be an Echo if she has completely different special moves?
At this point, the definition of echo is a bit up in the air until we can actually physically compare the echos to their origin characters, so who knows

D

Deleted member

Can we talk about how weird it is that Castlevania has 34 music tracks, while Final Fantasy still has 2? It feels so awkward saying that.
It is weird, but that's Square-Enix's fault. Shame they are being lame about this.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Would completely different specials even work as an echo though? Chrom has one move difference so I could see that being seen as too much for an echo

D

Deleted member

Is it confirmed that we're only getting the two?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom