• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
But... We already have a Peach echo... :ultdaisy:

Granted there's nothing saying a character can't get two echoes yet. But would anyone really like one character getting more then one? xP
I can already see the "Gee Bill how come Sakurai let you have two echoes?"

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
And do you know what this means (aside from the obvious)?

It means that now there's a whole new crop of laughably bad, spicy 4chan "leaks". I decided to look some up out of bordeom, and here's what I've got:

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/426773559#q426773559
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/426726063#q426726063
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/426735932#q426735932
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/426772428#q426772428

Apparently, I better prepare my anus for "K.K Tool". Sounds like a quality character.

Oh yeah, and Dry Bones too. XD
How the hell will Chibi-Robo echo R.O.B ???
Also K.K Tool, sounds like the best character evah.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Android 21 becoming canon to the DBZ universe would be the greatest character introduction they’ve done besides Broly
Yeah I agree, make Android 21 become canon to DBZ that would be amazing.
As long as she survives this time and is officially part of their team for now on, and if she does dies, revive her back to life, none of this 'wait for reincarnation' nonsense I don't see the other Z-Fighters willing to that to themselves or to each other so why her.
Actually, if you think about it, Android 21 has the best chance of joining Smash, out of all the DBZ characters, since she fits Sakurai's requirements:

Is originally a video game character
has some relation with Nintendo (she will soon).

Hot take:

I don’t like the whole “Elma ain’t the protagonist” reasoning and thinking they’ll pull a “Robin over Chrom” in favor of Cross. The reason being that Cross is truly a blank slate, both in personality and abilities.

Robin? Their class is by default strategist, being able to use magic tomes, and they have a set personality and are crucial to the story. The only things about them that are up to you are their appearance, voice, gender, and who they end up with. They technically can reclass, but Strategist/(whatever is the direct upgrade of Strategist) is usually their best class and they can even go through the whole game without reclassing.

Cross? Has no default personality and doesn’t talk in cutscenes, they just have dialogue lines during certain events that raise affinity with different members depending on the choices you make. They also don’t have a truly “default” class battle wise, their first class is meant to be the worst one and you can take three class paths, each with their own weapons and skills, and can switch at any time. Not to mention it’s a LOT of different weapons.

Now for Chrom vs Elma...

Chrom is indeed one of the protagonists of Awakening alongside Robin and his own daughter, Lucina. In fact, Chrom was considered for the 4 roster and if he was finalized he would probably have been an Ike clone. Sakurai probably hit a hurdle when formulating his move set, unsure what to do with him since Chrom didn’t have any “signature moves” per se for a Lord, or Sakurai couldn’t find a way to make him unique like Robin, so he relegated that fully functional potential fighter render into Robin’s 4 Final Smash.

Now for Elma. While Cross is the player character, I’d argue Elma actually is the protagonist in the truest sense of the word. Since the story focuses on her. She’s the one who finds Cross and takes them to NLA, she’s the one who helped the citizens of NLA escape Earth, she’s the one who does the most of the talking when representing your party in story cutscenes, and your team is always referred to as “Elma’s team”. And I can’t say more because spoilers, but it’s obvious she’s the one X focuses on as its main character. And moveset wise, there is a LOT of untapped uniqueness potential Sakurai can utilize. Elma would be the first true dual sword user (it coulda also been Fiora but...you know...) AND she also has dual guns. TWO sets of main weapons that can be switched on the fly. Also, the Skell. I want to believe Sakurai’s mech model photo was alluding to Elma, possibly using a Skell in her Final Smash.

And that, ladies, gentlemen, and non-binary acquaintances, is why I firmly believe they will not pull a “Robin over Chrom” with Elma.

Drops mic
Preach! Preach! It would feel like a double cross if we get Cross instead of Elma. If they're crossing out Elma, and we get Cross, why I'll be... Crossed.
Don't give us a character containing cookie cutter characteristics, instead of a dual wielding, mech riding stoic, yet caring BLADE leader.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
My hopes for the Smash Direct:

• A new character unveiled in the intro of the direct.
  • Unveiling a new stage.
  • Unveiling some of the modes.
  • Unveiling a new echo.
  • Unveiling a new character at the end of the direct.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Hot take:

I don’t like the whole “Elma ain’t the protagonist” reasoning and thinking they’ll pull a “Robin over Chrom” in favor of Cross. The reason being that Cross is truly a blank slate, both in personality and abilities.

Robin? Their class is by default strategist, being able to use magic tomes, and they have a set personality and are crucial to the story. The only things about them that are up to you are their appearance, voice, gender, and who they end up with. They technically can reclass, but Strategist/(whatever is the direct upgrade of Strategist) is usually their best class and they can even go through the whole game without reclassing.

Cross? Has no default personality and doesn’t talk in cutscenes, they just have dialogue lines during certain events that raise affinity with different members depending on the choices you make. They also don’t have a truly “default” class battle wise, their first class is meant to be the worst one and you can take three class paths, each with their own weapons and skills, and can switch at any time. Not to mention it’s a LOT of different weapons.

Now for Chrom vs Elma...

Chrom is indeed one of the protagonists of Awakening alongside Robin and his own daughter, Lucina. In fact, Chrom was considered for the 4 roster and if he was finalized he would probably have been an Ike clone. Sakurai probably hit a hurdle when formulating his move set, unsure what to do with him since Chrom didn’t have any “signature moves” per se for a Lord, or Sakurai couldn’t find a way to make him unique like Robin, so he relegated that fully functional potential fighter render into Robin’s 4 Final Smash.

Now for Elma. While Cross is the player character, I’d argue Elma actually is the protagonist in the truest sense of the word. Since the story focuses on her. She’s the one who finds Cross and takes them to NLA, she’s the one who helped the citizens of NLA escape Earth, she’s the one who does the most of the talking when representing your party in story cutscenes, and your team is always referred to as “Elma’s team”. And I can’t say more because spoilers, but it’s obvious she’s the one X focuses on as its main character. And moveset wise, there is a LOT of untapped uniqueness potential Sakurai can utilize. Elma would be the first true dual sword user (it coulda also been Fiora but...you know...) AND she also has dual guns. TWO sets of main weapons that can be switched on the fly. Also, the Skell. I want to believe Sakurai’s mech model photo was alluding to Elma, possibly using a Skell in her Final Smash.

And that, ladies, gentlemen, and non-binary acquaintances, is why I firmly believe they will not pull a “Robin over Chrom” with Elma.

Drops mic
Couldn't have said it better myself, preach sis

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I really think we're getting a mix of Sakurai picks and fan requests anyways.

So even if someone like Elma or Spring Man (by some magic miracle) showed up in the direct?

I really don't think it'd indicate whether the game was purely fan service or not in terms of roster selection.

Not to mention Elma and Spring Man have fans of their own anyways.
For Elma, I don't think notable fan-support existed at the time of the ballot for Sakurai to factor it to her inclusion in the project plan. There likely would have been very little support given that XCX was released only in Japan at the time, with the West not growing in Elma support until a few years later. She would get in for very different reasons. She would be a Sakurai-based choice.

For Spring Man, maybe if Sakurai added him in mid-development around the time he saw ARMs' first success and the number of fan-requests of Spring Man that came after the release, fan-requests would be a big factor for Spring Man.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I know this is a stupid question, and I’m pretty sure I know the answer already, but do you guys think that Reggie could become a playable character?

I’d main him.
Just make a Mii Fighter xP

Heck, Smash 4's trailer for them pretty much illustrated that with the Reggie Vs. Iwata fight

D

Deleted member

I know this is a stupid question, and I’m pretty sure I know the answer already, but do you guys think that Reggie could become a playable character?

I’d main him.
Mii Fighter Brawler, as the Mii reveal trailer showed off. I know, it isn't the same, but it's still how they officially announced it.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Shin Onigashima got a song, right? It was a pretty awesome song too loool. It would be cool to see more from that list... besides the ones you mentioned being weird haha
I forgot about the song, but while on the subject it also got a trophy in Melee alongside Famicom Tantei Club.

Weird doesn't even describe Time Twist. It is by far the darkest game Nintendo has ever made. It features slavery, nuclear war, a psychic battle with Hitler, and the final boss is the anti-christ (a proto-type version of SNES Giygas).

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I forgot about the song, but while on the subject it also got a trophy in Melee alongside Famicom Tantei Club.

Weird doesn't even describe Time Twist. It is by far the darkest game Nintendo has ever made. It features slavery, nuclear war, a psychic battle with Hitler, and the final boss is the anti-christ (a proto-type version of SNES Giygas).
Woooow that's intense
And the plot for the new adventure mode

But yeah, I wonder what all the meetings for that game were like... lol

T-Hell

Smash Lord
How the hell will Chibi-Robo echo R.O.B ???
Lmao who said that? Whoever said that clearly didn't ever play Chibi-Robo nor knows him at all. Saying Chibs could be ROB's echo is like saying Tapu Koko would be Pikachu's echo just because they are electric pokemon. What the hell man.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

I’d main him.
You can using the trusty Mii Fighters.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I know I sound like a broken record but I think we really might get a Ridley reveal this time around

He's been my most wanted newcomer since brawl and I think he really has a chance this time around

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ya’ll ready for everywhere (all stages) is here?
And everything (all items) is here?
I'm pretty sure we'll get neither.

Also, if Little Mac assist trophy or Miiverse is missing, it wouldn't be 'everything/everywhere is here'

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I have a good feeling about Fountain of Dreams showing up tomorrow. The items and stages sections might be open after this Direct which makes me think they will extensively show them.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I think Elma has a decent shot at getting into the game, but I also think her chances are overstated by many. I apologize in advance to Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura

First of all, the XCX composer thing. Given Ultimate's time frame and the project plan, it seems very likely that there will be XCX content in this game in some form. Getting some music from the game seems like a no brainer. I think it's entirely possible we could get a new original piece of music from XCX with no new character. There have been similar things done in the past, such as The Mysterious Murasame Castle getting it's own piece of original music in Smash 4 despite no character or stage. Really, the thing with the XCX composer only solidifies that we'll get new music for XCX which could potentially be added onto a new XCX stage or maybe another Xenoblade stage not related to X.

Then there's the Xenoblade characters thing from Bill Trinen. If you go back and watch the interview, it's clear that Bill has no idea what he's talking about. He just had a real brain fart moment and was trying to think of what franchises were new to Smash and spouted out Xenoblade when he couldn't even remember what characters from it were in Smash. Plus, if he said "The Xenoblade Character" in reference to Shulk that would've made him look like an idiot.

And then you DO have to take into account that if Elma gets into the game, it won't be because of fan demand. XCX was released after the ballot in the west and in the midst of the ballot in Japan. There's no way she was able to build up enough support at the time to be considered for fan demand, so her only chance at getting in is if Sakurai picks her himself, though that's still entirely possible.

I stated this at the beginning, and I'll say it again. I think Elma has a decent shot at getting into the game, but people make her out out to be way more likely than I think she actually is. Maybe she'll be revealed at the Direct on Wednesday and everything I said up above will get thrown out the window but I wouldn't hold my breathe for it.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I have a good feeling about Fountain of Dreams showing up tomorrow. The items and stages sections might be open after this Direct which makes me think they will extensively show them.
Yeah same.
I pray that the Fan weasles its way into the direct.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
No subs. I only like dubs. It is annoying trying to watch and read at the same time.
Also will not buy a dvd if it does not have dual language.

Never understood the hate. Usually believe it is due to age. Kids having to justify their edge.
It was actually because in the 80's and 90's, 99% of English Dubs were horrible. They're a lot better now, but there's still a stigma against them, mostly stemming from the horrible voice acting memories.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Miiverse just posts the things people draw in Splatoon 2.

It just becomes a Splatoon stage.
No, it's an Smash Bros stage like Battlefield and all pictures are of Sakurai's cat, because that's the only way to put quality content to the stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom