• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MainJPW

M.T.A
DBZ games are pretty popular and there are so many of them at this point that Goku is, in my mind, both an anime and video game character. .
Dragon Ball games go way back; the first two ever released date all the way back to 1986:
The second one; Shenron no Nazo, was on the Famicom.

I wonder how Goku’s chances would be if these predated the manga lol.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
I want sakurai to straight up deconfirm goku just to stop these.
If cloud opened up the floodgates for dumb suggestions I don't even want to imagine what goku would do.

D

Deleted member

Not being rude at all. Just tired of Goku's name being bought up for years now. He's debut din anime first, not a video game so there's no way it's happening. Period.

For my predictions with the Direct

- Adventure Mode
- At least a new character or two
- Fountain of Dreams/Poke Floats
- Board the Platforms (lemme dream for a moment)
- Tournament mode with ALL CPU options, not leaving 1 person to play
You don't see this as rude?

Jesus Christ, WHY is this ****ing topic being bought up everyday?

Pakky

Smash Hero
You don't see this as rude?
Though I get why he's frustrated. Goku really doesn't make sense.

Fighters doesn't affect his chances. He is a manga character.

Its the same thing as saying Shrek is viable because he's fighting game is kinda rad.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Oh hey look, this is a character that debuted on the NES. His name is Goku.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Kid Goku would be 100x better than Adult Goku. You can't change my mind because it's not an opinion it's a fact.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
"OH MY GAWWWWWWD THE POWER POLE AND NIMBUS HOLY SHIIIIIIITAAAAAAKEEEE AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA". So kinda like my Corrin reaction in terms of "Oh my god he actually ****ing did it"

Perfectly timed :troll:

Kid Goku would be 100x better than Adult Goku. You can't change my mind because it's not an opinion it's a fact.
Opinions =/= Facts

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Here are some of my predictions

-New Modes
-3 Character Reveals (2 unique, 1 echo)
-A highly request character is revealed as an assist trophy
-Target Test & Board The Platforms Return
-Story Mode
-New Stage Reveals
-More Veteran Info (Especially on Robin)
-More Info On Daisy

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
AND he’s in a Kirby game.

This is your Goku candidate, folks!
"Why did this obscure kirby character appear so high in the smash ballot? I guess the characters just want him that much, time to add him in" - Sakurai

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I do think this Direct will also focus on the Wi-Fi/Internet battles though

But think they will add anything new to the Wi-Fi/Internet fights?

Wambo

Smash Ace
Adult base Goku > Kid Goku.

Everyone here pretending like there wasn't a time prior to Super Saiyan Goku where he didn't still use Nimbus and the Power Pole.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

He's based off the exact same character DBZ Goku is based off of, and so like
I very genuinely think Goku has a shot (it's an easy and interesting compromise).

But not the other Goku. Unfortunately, people will always think of that one first and then **** themselves about it without realizing that this guy exists.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Considering it may come up, how do you all think/want the standard modes will flow?

I hope that Classic is randomized similar to Melee - you draw an opponent and fight on a stage from their universe. Teams could try to stick to the same universe (or similar universes for the loads of single reps we have), but I don’t want too much hindering getting any character at any time. My ideal layout would be:
  1. 1 v 1
  2. 2 v 2
  3. 1 v 1
  4. 3 v Giant
  5. 1 v 1
  6. 2 v 2
  7. 1 v 1
  8. 1 v Giant
  9. 1 v Team
  10. 1 v Metal
  11. 4 player Free for all
  12. Master/Crazy/Core
Of course, with bonus rounds interspersed. And go back to the standard 5-stock, choose difficulty, not this **** that was literally ported straight from Kid Icarus.

All-Star I’m still undecided on wherther I prefer random like Melee or reverse numeric. The random would add replayability but the numbers are a big deal now. It’d have to be reverse, though. Starting with Mario would not be as cool as endong with him.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I'm hoping we'll get at least two newcomers revealed. Why? Well, aside from getting new characters, I want another excuse for us to update this thread's poll.

Seriously, that thing has been bugging me more than it should. Why are there more than 600 people who still believe we'll get six or fewer newcomers? We already have three, so the first two choices almost seem redundant at this point (especially the first one, since it's literally impossible for us to get 1-2 newcomers now).
On that topic, can we just change the poll to something else completely? This isn't a character thread so I don't see why it has to be character related...but definitely change it after this direct because like you said it's outdated (and a lot of the votes are probably pre-E3).

Unfortunately I don't have a suggestion of what to change it to. More on that later?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Speaking as someone who played KDL3 as a kid in the 90s, I legitimately want Kirby to have a reunion with this guy, just like with Samus (and one of the ROBs).

He's based off the exact same character DBZ Goku is based off of, and so like
I very genuinely thing Goku has a shot.

But not the other Goku. Unfortunately, people will always think of that one first and then **** themselves about it without realizing that this guy exists.
I think that is precisely what is going to happen.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
For some reason I have this terrible gut feeling that sakurai is just going to add Issac back in as an assist. I’ve got no proof, just a bad feeling.
Returning ATs is something I could see Sakurai do, especially if Isabelle is playable (are you reddi for Resetti?).

Isaac coming back as an Assist wouldn't be the worst thing. Obviously that isn't as great as being playable, but at least Golden Sun would be represented once again.

On that topic, can we just change the poll to something else completely? This isn't a character thread so I don't see why it has to be character related...but definitely change it after this direct because like you said it's outdated (and a lot of the votes are probably pre-E3).

Unfortunately I don't have a suggestion of what to change it to. More on that later?
It doesn't even have to be a prediction. We could do something like "Which newcomer are you most excited for?" or "What part of Ultimate are you looking forward to the most?"

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I imagine exact Direct dates are tenuous and easily subject to change, Nintendo as is tends to announce Directs a few days to even just a day prior, so as long as the date is close enough and in the same general ballpark, I don't think it is much a detriment for the given Direct date to not be exact.
I was just thinking about this myself and I agree. The date is close enough to where I could see Nintendo deciding to make the change and announce it at EVO to make sure the competitive players, especially the Melee ones, give this a watch.

Anyway, I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for new modes similar to what loz18 described.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
All-Star I’m still undecided on wherther I prefer random like Melee or reverse numeric. The random would add replayability but the numbers are a big deal now. It’d have to be reverse, though. Starting with Mario would not be as cool as endong with him.
I'm wanting to see a random selection like they did with Melee minus fighting G&W at the end every time. Brawl's was meh due to it always starting with G&W and always ending with Olimar. I did like Wii U/3DS's debut order so I can take that one as well. Either Melee's or Wii U/3DS' order would work fine

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Potential All-Star Orders:
- Numerical and Reverse-Numerical
- Prime Numbers then Filler
- Divisible by 2
- By Series
- By Weight
- By earliest/latest release (not debut)

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I will only accept Goku if he's voiced in japanese, keep that awful dub stuff out of Smash. Doesn't matter since Goku will never happen and he wouldn't make any sense.

Back on topic, I hope to god classic mode is restored to it's Melee / Brawl style. Maybe it'll be shown on Wednesday.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
So, I've gathered my thoughts, and sorted out what I want to see in the direct.

- A character reveal that proves Vergeben wrong. Namely Decidueye or Lycanroc.
- Single player modes. We getting an Adventure mode again? Are returning modes going to be improved? Anything brand new?
- Multiplayer modes. Tournament mode returning? A mode where every stock is a new fighter?
- I want to know what characters are deconfirmed already. Assist Trophies, Poke Ball summons, Final Smashes, etc.
- Are we going to see a downloadable demo? Or maybe a 'Global Test Smash' like what Splatoon 2 had?
- What stages are returning that we haven't seen? Maybe even some new stages?

The only things I namely don't want are even more Fire Emblem characters and more 3rd Parties. Especially Heihachi, since some people are starting to think we'll see him in Smash. If Bandai Namco is to get another character, I'd much rather it be Lloyd or a Soul Calibur character, and I don't really want either.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
"Why did this obscure kirby character appear so high in the smash ballot? I guess the characters just want him that much, time to add him in" - Sakurai
Besides the fact that he's not a Kirby character, just a character that happened to make a cameo in a game developed by HAL Laboratory, sounds accurate.
:awesome:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I will only accept Goku if he's voiced in japanese, keep that awful dub stuff out of Smash. Doesn't matter since Goku will never happen and he wouldn't make any sense.
I feel the complete opposite, grandma Goku can stay in Japan please and thank you.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I'm gonna see if anyone of Simon, Isabelle, a 7th gen Pokemon, Banjo, Bandana Dee, Mach Rider, King K. Rool, Chorus Kids, Geno, Rayman, Ashley, Dixie Kong, Hiehachi or Tails are removed from speculation by being confirmed or deconfirmed.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Does anybody think Gil has a chance? I don't think he can get in initially, but maybe he added late after, at least knowing that Sakurai has acknowledged him.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
The dub hate disease is so vast, it even spread to Smashboards. ** mind blown.
No subs. I only like dubs. It is annoying trying to watch and read at the same time.
Also will not buy a dvd if it does not have dual language.

Never understood the hate. Usually believe it is due to age. Kids having to justify their edge.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

Does anybody think Gil has a chance? I don't think he can get in initially, but maybe he added late after, at least knowing that Sakurai has acknowledged him.
Barely anyone knew who this guy was before that costume.

This was probably just a fun little inclusion on Namco's part and nothing more.

Wambo

Smash Ace
I feel the complete opposite, grandma Goku can stay in Japan please and thank you.
Agreed. As someone who started with Dragon Ball in it's original Japanese dub (but heard Sean a few times as a kid), the fact that adult Goku kept the same Japanese VA was mega weird to me.

Sean Schemmel IS Goku.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
It would be hilarious if Vergeben was pulling his claims out of his (well, you know...) only to have no idea Nintendo were putting on a Direct less than a week or so after his latest claim, and then having Isabelle and Simon as assists and Decidueye and Steve as characters, eliminating his popularity within a single Direct.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Here’s my sorting of most to least likely to be an Assist Trophy:
1. Isaac (sorry fans, I’d love him too but GS is a dead series and I don’t think the ballot helped him enough)
2. Dark Samus
3. Shadow
4. Ashley
5. Isabelle (I can see her becoming playable tbh)
6. Bandana Dee (he’s becoming more prevalent in Kirby games, and Waddle Dees are completely absent from King Dedede’s moveset now)
7. Simon Belmont (like why WOULD he be an AT anyway? We already have Bomberman as a general Konami assist trophy, and since we DID just get Snake back, it’d be a waste to not make use of another playable character offering)

I-don’t-care-what-their-chances-of-being-an-AT-are-I-don’t-want-them-as-an-AT-period tier: Elma

Please dear God if she’s an AT I will be heartbroken ;-; I already had Fiora deconfirmed ffs

in fact call me crazy but I think Fiora’s deconformation may actually help Elma’s chances as playable

Last edited:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Less than 48 hours to go...

I wonder, is Android 21 eligible or is she out because the series itself is manga-based?

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I wasn't aware that hating an inaccurate portrayal of a character was a disease.

This isn't the place to discuss it, but the english dub for most of the Dragon Ball franchise is really bad. Kai is decent, but even in Super they make dumb changes and decisions that go against the original story. This isn't me being elitist, this is my preferring the show in its intended form.

Goku is not a superman type hero. He's selfish man child who wants to fight people. He has a pure heart and won't stand idlly by when innocents are in danger, but he's still pretty childish. Masako Nozawa IS Goku. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Agreed. As someone who started with Dragon Ball in it's original Japanese dub (but heard Sean a few times as a kid), the fact that adult Goku kept the same Japanese VA was mega weird to me.

Sean Schemmel IS Goku.
They should have him voice Nintendo's Goku just for fun.

Lucario vs. Goku fights will just him yelling and grunting at himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom