• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Is there anything impressive that she has done that you could show me, in perhaps a video? I'm starting to care a bit more, but I don't completely get what she could bring to the table in Smash.
Warioware games aren't exactly spectacles. The story takes a backseat to the microgames. But in Warioware Gold she took down an all-devouring demon lord.

As for moveset potential she could have curses, hexes, spells and potions to buff herself or debuff enemies.
Her imp servant can transform into objects like a wand or a broom, giving her options for physical attacks.
She could summon objects like a plant and curse them to become monsters that fight for her. The potentials there.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
This is one day before the Switch port of Okami HD comes out. If Amaterasu does get in there's a good chance that this is where she will be confirmed.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mean, I do still think there's a degree of subjectivity. It's one thing to say "I thought it was obvious" and another to say "everyone knew this was obvious."

For example, if Isabelle does indeed get in like Vergeben says, I'm definitely in the camp that will say it was an obvious addition because I've been touting her as the second most likely newcomer (after Inkling) since before the "Smash Switch" subsection even opened. That being said, obviously I wouldn't say everyone saw her as being obvious. Those are two different things.
There will never be a total consensus, what I'm after is the next best thing, the consensus of the majority (of people present and engaged at the time). And that can be achieved, even if it can't be an exact science. It will be subjective, and there will be conflicting stances, so if what prevails is a litany of different opinions or some pronounced schism, stands to reason that character is less than obvious. If not, well then the general consensus seems within reach.

Everyone has their own take, but think about where a character might wind up on that chart Swamp made yesterday. Those are the parameters under which I'm operating.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Warioware games aren't exactly spectacles. The story takes a backseat to the microgames. But in Warioware Gold she took down an all-devouring demon lord.

As for moveset potential she could have curses, hexes, spells and potions to buff herself or debuff enemies.
Her imp servant can transform into objects like a wand or a broom, giving her options for physical attacks.
She could summon objects like a plant and curse them to become monsters that fight for her. The potentials there.
Okay, you convinced me. I think of Zelda with the possible moveset choices you available (definitely no Echo Fighter, though). All I can do now is wait.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
This is just what we needed. After coming out so strong during E3, this is perfectly timed to give us another info dump.

Apart from the obvious character reveal/reveals I’m hoping to see more of what the game will offer in terms of content. Maybe announce a few fan favourite modes will be returning and tease some new ones.

The fact it’s hosted by sakurai gives me vibes of the smash 4 bananza we got pre-release in 2014. If it’s got 25% of the content that did I’ll be smiling ear to ear come Wednesday.

Side note but I wish Nintendo would have some consistency around the times they show these things. I get it’s hard to pick a time slot that benifits us all but this one takes place four hours into my nine hour shift. To make matters worse is Wednesday is my day off 3/4 weeks of the month, but not this one! Ah well, late lunch break it is!

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
With the Direct confirmed for the 8th I have some thoughts:

- I think a demo is likely, possibly even "available after the Direct".

- If there's a story mode, I bet you this is where they announce it, maybe that's even how the Direct opens.

- What if, just like "EVERYONE IS HERE", they just announce all of the newcomers on Wednesday? It would be just as unexpected as E3.

- My guess for characters and stages that will be shown off:
- Simon, Ashley, and Echo Chrom
- Kongo Jungle, Pokefloats, Delfino Plaza, Pac-Maze, Gamer, and a Castlevania stage.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
My prediction is that we will get Isabelle as an Echo, Elma, Ashley,
And that is about it. I am not expecting to much.

And please no echos of the original 12. I want them on the top row without echos making the count larger.

Iridium

Smash Hero
So, how long do you guys think the presentation will be? I'm hoping at least around 30-45 minutes, for I need a good excuse for hopping around like a maniac if I see something I like. Luckily, I have nothing to stop me from seeing this Nintendo Direct!

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
Ho
So Smash Direct on the 8th of August?
Layton's Mystery Journey comes out on Switch in Japan on the 9th.

Coincidence?
Most probably yes....

HOLY ****ING ****!!!!!!

Were finally getting new information after a long ass drought of redundancy! "Phew" I personally hope that loz18's leak is correct and that one of the new modes announced is a new story mode for Smash Ultimate! And that he's right about the Heroes VS. Villains thing (I'm strongly willing to bet that it's another Villain character revealed once again)!

And I'm thinking we might just get a third party character reveal as well (Given that they didn't show one off at E3 this year like they usually do)!

My two bets on the two reveals are King K. Rool (Extremely popular choice for Smash in Japan and was one of the high leads on the Smash Ballot) and Travis Touchdown (Suda 51 has said he wants Travis In Smash Bros, has talked with Sakurai about this possibility, and the fact that No More Heroes 3 is said to release on the Switch this Year)!

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ooh, prediction time:
  1. One brand new character and one echo shown off. Probably Ashley and Isabelle. I'm not expecting K.Rool yet; he'll probably be a later reveal. But how I wish they would drop a bombshell and give us Dovahkiin...
  2. Possibly a second new character, bonus points for being 3rd party.
  3. Show off an adventure-y mode
  4. Smash run back
  5. Reveal of at least one more returning stage and one new one
...I'm so excited. Most directs are what, 40 mins? That means it'll be done by the time I get in...but before I have to do anything. I'm gonna have to lock my phone away at work and check right before I leave - hope I don't scream too loud about any reveals.

---

Off topic:
I hope Soul Calibur is coming to Switch.
Oh, man...If they even suggest a Link-in-SC redo, I'm cancelling by XBONE preorder STAT.
@perfectchaos83

Re: Soul Calibur, do you know if Verg ever changed his stance on Seong Mi-na from "probably not in?" Since she was just announced as playable.
So, Vergeben may have gotten something wrong just now. Namco just announced that Astaroth and Seong Mi-Na will be in SoulCalibur VI. In that leak he made a couple days ago, he never mentioned that Seong Mi-Na was in.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/946ewp/this_possibly_pertains_to_evo_fighting_game_leaks/
Wait, Mi-na's in? And Astaroth? Neat! Ugh, I need to find a central location for SC news! Still hoping Raph (or Amy, but she's obviously not).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So lil' game:

Which 3 newcomers are you hoping to see in the Direct, from most likeliest to least?

Mine here:

- Bandanna Dee
- Dixie Kong
- Captain Toad

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
With the Direct confirmed for the 8th I have some thoughts:

- I think a demo is likely, possibly even "available after the Direct".

- If there's a story mode, I bet you this is where they announce it, maybe that's even how the Direct opens.

- What if, just like "EVERYONE IS HERE", they just announce all of the newcomers on Wednesday? It would be just as unexpected as E3.

- My guess for characters and stages that will be shown off:
- Simon, Ashley, and Echo Chrom
- Kongo Jungle, Pokefloats, Delfino Plaza, Pac-Maze, Gamer, and a Castlevania stage.
A demo this early? I doubt it i doubt it.

Welcome to the Ashley side, we have cookies!
Don't forget the Meatball Subs!

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
So, how long do you guys think the presentation will be? I'm hoping at least around 30-45 minutes, for I need a good excuse for hopping around like a maniac if I see something I like. Luckily, I have nothing to stop me from seeing this Nintendo Direct!
Shortest smash direct was 15-20 mins (Roy, Ryu, amiibos, etc)

Longest was Greninja (30-45 mins)

I'm thinking 30 mins?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So lil' game:

Which 3 newcomers are you hoping to see in the Direct, from most likeliest to least?

Mine here:

- Bandanna Dee
- Dixie Kong
- Captain Toad
- Elma
- Bandana Waddle Dee
- Chrom (if Robin has a new Chrom-less Final Smash). If not him, then Isabelle

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Verg gets anything wrong I hope he's ready for the Smash fanbase to shun him entirely despite past claims, lol.

We not so good at grey areas. :p

blazefan519

Smash Ace
At minimum 15-20 at maximum 30-45. I'd like for it to be the latter but judging off of the last Smash direct, the former is more likely but who knows, Sakurai may bless us once again.
So lil' game:

Mine here:

- Bandanna Dee
- Dixie Kong
- Captain Toad
Pretty much the exact same as you kek

Noipoi

Howdy!
My prediction is that we will get Isabelle as an Echo, Elma, Ashley,
And that is about it. I am not expecting to much.

And please no echos of the original 12. I want them on the top row without echos making the count larger.
Just for that I came up with 12 echoes for you.

Mario-Jumpman
Link-Dark Link
Donkey Kong-Funky Kong
Pikachu-Raichu
Samus-Dark Samus
Ness-Ninten
Jigglypuff-Igglybuff
Luigi-Mr L
Fox-James McCloud
Yoshi-Boshi
Captain Falcon-Black Shadow
Kirby-Gooey with arms and legs tacked on.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Shortest smash direct was 15-20 mins (Roy, Ryu, amiibos, etc)

Longest was Greninja (30-45 mins)

I'm thinking 30 mins?
There is a possibility we get a good chunk of content revealed (hopefully). Well, we only have 4 months to go (that hurts).

Noipoi

Howdy!
So lil' game:

Mine here:

- Bandanna Dee
- Dixie Kong
- Captain Toad
- ASHLEY (My most wanted character, pretty likely too)
- Geno (Just throw Geno fans a bone already)
- Amaterasu (My buddy's most wanted. If I get to be happy so can he)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno
K Rool
Dillon
Confirmed as characters

That'd be the best direct

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
If Verg gets anything wrong I hope he's ready for the Smash fanbase to shun him entirely despite past claims, lol.

We not so good at grey areas. :p
Would be good riddance too, bit tired to see him apparently be some celeb in Smash-community these days despite just getting one lucky guess right.

Loz18's been more accurate so he deserves that attention more.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
So lil' game:

Mine here:

- Bandanna Dee
- Dixie Kong
- Captain Toad
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Revali (Breath of the Wild)
Dillon (Dillon's Rolling Western)

Those are my hopes, though realistically everyone's predicting K. Rool, Dixie, Elma, Ashley and Geno so I'd rather not hop on that bandwagon since it's already covered.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
WOW! I can't say I was expecting that!

I'm so excited, finally we can see something new! The fact that we're having another Smash direct this early gives me hope that there's a ton of new stuff we don't know about yet.

(Please King K Rool and Paper Mario)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So lil' game:

Mine here:

- Bandanna Dee
- Dixie Kong
- Captain Toad
- A Wario Ware character (Ashley I guess)
- Mimikyu (If Verg potentially ends up being wrong)
- Professor Layton (Let me dream)

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I'm actually hoping for 30 mins, but I would not mind it between 15-20mins.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Top 3 choices is very easy:

1) King K Rool
2) Cranky Kong
3) Dixie Kong

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I mean, they have a build, why not?
That is true i suppose. I just think they'd announce it sooner too the release date. Kinda like they did with Wario Ware.
Would be good riddance too, bit tired to see him apparently be some celeb in Smash-community these days despite just getting one lucky guess right.

Loz18's been more accurate so he deserves that attention more.
Never heard of Loz18 xD Guess he must not have that much attention.
To me, he's not a celeb, just a normal guy. I'm just here for the leaks. And Honestly, no matter who's leaking it, I still take it with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom