• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Let's all remember these last few days when only after eliminating Decidueye, Mimikyu, and Lycanroc from consideration did Incineroar become "obvious". Clearly there was a fanbase for him previously, and he was always a contender, but just remember how no Gen 7 was obvious for when people, months from now, talk about how obvious it was.

It may seem silly now, but some people espouse how Greninja was obvious. And there was much less clamouring for him than any of these four.

That's all I ask.
I get what you're saying here, but I don't think whether the majority thinks something is obvious or not is actually any indication at all of how obvious they are. I dunno how many times I would tell people Cloud made more sense than a Black Mage or a Moogle or whatever, and I'm not gonna let other people being too biased against the PlayStation to think Cloud had a shot let me not brag about that one, lol.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If it's not a fully evolved 'Mon, the only realistic choice would be Rowlet imo.

Rowlet is by far and large the most popular Gen 7 mon.
I think the best case scenario in terms of Gen 7 would be to have a trainer (Royal or otherwise) with Rowlet, Torracat and Primarina. Even if Incineroar and Decidueye don't get in, their earlier forms would be.

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman
Let's all remember these last few days when only after eliminating Decidueye, Mimikyu, and Lycanroc from consideration did Incineroar become "obvious". Clearly there was a fanbase for him previously, and he was always a contender, but just remember how no Gen 7 was obvious for when people, months from now, talk about how obvious it was.

It may seem silly now, but some people espouse how Greninja was obvious. And there was much less clamouring for him than any of these four.

That's all I ask.
I was one of the few people who were rooting for Greninja but even I didn't think it had a chance. That reveal was really satisfying, especially because it was on the month of my birthday. I couldn't ask for a better present :colorful:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
View attachment 155770

What if Necrozma is the gen 7 Pokemon? According to Bulbapedia he's 2.4 meters tall, making him Ridley size. Would be cool if he could change into his Duskmane and Duskwing forms.
God that roster would be a dream come true.

I could definitely see Necrozma working, but yeah they'd have to scale him down a bit. It wouldn't really work to have him change into his other forms because Solgaleo and Lunala are already Pokeball Pokemon and they look like they're their proper sizes.

I could see Ultra Necrozma as his final smash though.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
I think necrozma would like very weird scaled down, especially with Lunala and Solgaleo already being ATs, he would have to be smaller than both of them which doesn't make sense.

D

Deleted member

Because Sun and Moon had arguably the biggest focus on the story since Gen V, with all those cutscenes. It may have played a role with selecting the pool of character to choose from.
Plus the fact that Sun and Moon weren't out when Sakurai had to pick a character means that popularity didn't played a role in choosing the character. It was really everything up to Sakurai to choose.

I think people are jumping too hard on Buzzwole. Remember that it is still a version exclusive Pokémon, which may have an effect on it being chosen due to not being familiar to all Gen VII players.
The fact Sun and Moon weren't out is the point I'm making.
How can the story mean anything when no one actually knows the story?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

That's all I ask.
I just think it's who is left after eliminating all the other popular choices.

Maybe it's just my pessimism because I had a hunch it was going to be incineroar and incineroar is also the choice I didn't want.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I get what you're saying here, but I don't think whether the majority thinks something is obvious or not is actually any indication at all of how obvious they are. I dunno how many times I would tell people Cloud made more sense than a Black Mage or a Moogle or whatever, and I'm not gonna let other people being too biased against the PlayStation to think Cloud had a shot let me not brag about that one, lol.
But making sense and seeming obvious are two separate metrics. Pretty much every character has reasoning behind them which justifies their inclusion, but the same can't be said for how readily obvious their inclusion seemed to the fanbase, and that's what I'm on about.

I'm not talking about looking back to retroactively put the pieces together, or the fringe speculators who convince themselves a dark horse is obvious and end up lucking out, I'm talking about when people say "so and so was always obvious", which often is a falsehood, and is different than claiming so and so made sense.

Shroob

Sup?
Personally, I'm surprised when people say "Spring Man or Rex+Pyra can't be in due to the project plan"

yet I see people clamoring for Zerorora, a Pokemon who's game only came out last year, and didn't even come out until THIS year iirc.

If the project plan was done by December 2015, that was an entire YEAR before the base game even came out, which didn't even have Zerorora in it.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Didn’t they move the top blast line farther up and nerf some of her combo potential to compensate?
her combo potential has been nerfed (source dabuz) but it wont matter since a good portion of the community still has no clue what to do when she hits them. doesnt matter if what she does is not true or pseudo combos if your opponent has no clue what is happening.
as for blast zones we can only speculate. green greens is assumed ot be low but we honestly dont have a clue. yje e3 build is also ancient compared to whatever they are at now internally. i dont know if we will get an update at all honestly.

D

Deleted member

I think now that a lot of people are putting blind faith into Verge's claims that it can't be any of the 3 'most obvious' picks, and them realizing that TPC is pushing Incenaroar for the anime that people are jumping on the "Incenaroar is obvious" boat.

When up until a few days ago, BURD was going to be a shoe in in everyone's minds.
While I'm that hipster that saw the bigger push as potential evidence even before Verg. :p
Though even then, I won't say Incineroar was "obvious" personally. Just that what people may be seeing now in hindsight is something I've been seeing for a long time now and holding on hope for the idea that it meant more than people realized.

No one. Yet. That's my point.
Ah. Makes sense.
You're just wanting it to stay that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I still like to think Kommo-o has a decent shot since we haven't had a Dragon type pokemon in smash before and he would fit perfectly. But it's probably all just wishful thinking.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I personally never saw Mimikyu as one of the 'obvious' choices.

For me, the big Pokemon candidates were Decidueye, Lycanroc, and Incineroar. In that order. I still keep my mindset that Decidueye and Lycanroc have the best chances, whereas Incineroar is an underdog that shouldn't be underestimated.

Decidueye is my most wanted out of the three, though I'd be very happy to see Lycanroc if he's done well. Incineroar I'd be a bit disappointed with initially, but can see myself warming up to him depending on how he's implemented in Smash.

DarkSt0rm009

Smash Cadet
NNID
ExtremeDeath
3DS FC
0946-2239-4297
Switch FC
SW-6724-2496-0212
If we could get any gen. 7 mon I would choose Palossand. Just imagine how amazing it would be to fight as a sand castle.
If I had to pick any gen 7 mon that hasn't been debunked (I'm so sorry Mimikyu)
I'd probably go with either Marshadow or... wait would Alolan forms be out of the question in terms of our possible Gen 7 Rep?

Because if Alolan forms aren't out of the question, I'm vouching for Alolan Sandslash ( I hear he's very... cool )

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
If I had to pick any gen 7 mon that hasn't been debunked (I'm so sorry Mimikyu)
I'd probably go with either Marshadow or... wait would Alolan forms be out of the question in terms of our possible Gen 7 Rep?
No, but there aren't that many Alolan forms to begin with, and I highly doubt things like Exeggutor, Dugtrio, Golem, Ninetails, or Sandslash would get in.

And Alolan Raichu, which probably would be the most obvious one, is in a Pokeball.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I still like to think Kommo-o has a decent shot since we haven't had a Dragon type pokemon in smash before and he would fit perfectly. But it's probably all just wishful thinking.
We may not have a dragon-type but we do have a fire-breathing flying reptile. Kommo-o would still be able to set itself apart with its fighting typing and scale moves, but I wouldn't be counting on in.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
The fact Sun and Moon weren't out is the point I'm making.
How can the story mean anything when no one actually knows the story?
But the game will be out when Smash released, so people will know the story by then. Sakurai surely would have released that Sun and Moon would have been out a couple years before Ultimate.
And the story at least provides the pool of character to choose from. With X and Y there weren't really any stand out Pokémon besides the started. In Sun and Moon we had besides the starters Tapu Koko, Lycanroc, the Totem Ones, and the UB, in particular Nihilego.

Last edited:

DarkSt0rm009

Smash Cadet
NNID
ExtremeDeath
3DS FC
0946-2239-4297
Switch FC
SW-6724-2496-0212
No, but there aren't that many Alolan forms to begin with, and I highly doubt things like Exeggutor, Dugtrio, Golem, Ninetails, or Sandslash would get in.

And Alolan Raichu, which probably would be the most obvious one, is in a Pokeball.
While this is true, I'm not going to lie, I would main the hell out of Alolan Marowak if it were to get in

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
But the game will be out when Smash released, so people will know the story by then. Sakurai surely would have released that Sun and Moon would have been out a couple years before Ultimate.
And the story at least provides the pool of character to choose from. With X and Y there weren't really any stand out Pokémon besides the started. In Sun and Moon we had besides the starters Tapu Koko, Lycanroc, the Totem Ones, and the UB, in particular Nihilego.
Would Sakurai know the story enough to decide that by the time he made the project plan?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If a Gen VII Pokemon gets in, it would likely be as a result of a Greninja situation, where it is chosen purely by its concept art.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of which, Tapu Koko was also one of the poster childs of Gen 7 in the beginning so I'm a bit surprised more attention hasn't been directed towards it in terms of Smash candidates recently.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You're making the assumption that he would be told which Pokémon would have roles in the plot almost a full year before release as well as months before the public even knew the games were coming.

Instead of just being shown which Pokémon could fit as a fighter in Smash and what they are capable of, which is something Sakurai is on record in saying is important in picking a Pokémon fighter.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Was there any other gen 6 pokemon people thought would get in other than Greninja?

Because whether or not Greninja was popular, I don't remember a lot of competition

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
We don’t have a ghost, bug, dragon, ice, ground or rock Pokémon at all. We have a poison/grass who makes no use of poison. A Fairy/Normal who doesn’t use fairy type moves. And a steel/fighting, but his steel aspects aren’t really appreciated through his move set.

Shroob

Sup?
We don’t have a ghost, bug, dragon, ice, ground or rock Pokémon at all. We have a poison/grass who makes no use of poison. A Fairy/Normal who doesn’t use fairy type moves. And a steel/fighting, but his steel aspects aren’t really appreciated through his move set.
To be honest, outside of the little spikes on his paws, why is Lucario steel type anyway? Nothing about it screams Steel.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
To be honest, outside of the little spikes on his paws, why is Lucario steel type anyway? Nothing about it screams Steel.
Maybe his butt. Buns of Steel workout was still a thing when he was added to the Gen.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Because his fans are always iron hard when they use him

Maybe his butt. Buns of Steel workout was still a thing when he was added to the Gen.
Proves my point

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
i cant get behind that buzzwole as an entrant. the thought of that tihng on the victory screen is just disguisting. it looks like it came out of the fly. pheromosa would be ok i guess.

i think if smash 4 wnats to continue it should embrace being the wacky side game. lean hard into custom moves and take the stock count to 3. it would carve a niche out for itself. MANY people wanted to use these move and charatcers but the scared mindset won out. Smash 4 is truly a silly game nothing wring with that. marvel 3 is a silly game. If you embrace what a game is rather than trying to fit it in a box you may find you enjoy it more.

as for bayonetta discussion in ultimate i do think she wil have mu issues long term As a bayo main i expect snake, shiek, Pikachu, (pokemon trainer will be annoying for everyone for pretty obivous reasons), pichu, and marth. id also love to see all the fake mains drop her. i love watching a fraud bayo got crushed in pools or tournament play. i'd much rather see her occupy a meta space like ryu currently does (few dedicated players and her play is appreciated for being unique and still being a threat) than be this character people hate so much. although i am curious what would happen if say link or mario is broken would people be this toxic? (cure my psychology interest)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom