• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
All this talk of character reveals is making me wonder how they're going to go about revealing Echo fighters in the future.
Daisy was just kinda dropped nonchalantly during the E3 direct.

I'm wondering if Echoes are candidates for random announcements with no buildup. It'd be sort of cool if they just dropped echo fighters as daily updates like they did with newcomers back in the Brawl days.
An Echo as a random blog update would be nice but I'll take a Lucina-type reveal, too. (Dark Pit's wasn't obvious)

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I'm going all in on Buzzwole with this Gen 7 Pokemon. If Vergeben isn't full of it, and the Pokemon character is controversial, I can't see a starter being controversial. A lesser known one like Buzzwole could be though.

Also I want to added a totally ripped fly to my secondary characters

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Regarding Bayonetta in Ultimate, it's already been confirmed she got a ton of really significant nerfs. Witch Twist has both more startup and ending lag, and can no longer snap to the ledge. Her aerials got landing lag increases when the rest of the cast got their landing lag significantly decreased across the board (held nair for example went from 10 frames to 18 frames of landing lag). Heel Slide no longer goes through shields and if she hits a shield she can't do the second kick. Witch Time has significantly more ending lag to it (people counted like 15 more frames I think) , lost its invincibility, and has a lot less slowdown time while your slowdown time is based on your percent, where she can no longer do **** like u-tilt u-tilt charged u-smash to kill you at mid-percents and get a ton of hits in to do death combos at low percents, hell apparently people were barely able to charge her smashes when they got a Witch Time. Fair 1 has a lot more ending lag to it if she doesn't follow through with the subsequent hits, which ended up gutting any combos with fair 1 she could do. And it appears her hitboxes are smaller across the board. And I'm pretty sure there's even more I don't remember off the top of my head or haven't been discovered yet.

I know people freaked out after what happened at the Invitational in MKLeo vs. Plup, but that was more a fluke based around Plup having no idea how to handle Bayo combos (being a Melee player and all) and them playing on a stage with a really short ceiling while the combos were started in midair. People who have been playing the demo were able to escape her death combos with just DI, they didn't even need to SDI, and if they remove the triple jump glitch that was pivotal to Leo pulling that off and what several players there told the Nintendo reps needed to go, then it could very well be that Bayo's low death combos are a thing of the past.

Of course there's the chance it could be another 1.1.6 and she's still busted, but it's looking extremely doubtful, and even in the case she is still a problem, this time there will be farther patches to tone her down.

In regards to people being concerned about Bayo's image, well once Ultimate drops and the usual overreaction to nerfs happen and all her fairweather players drop her, people are not going to care anymore. People stopped giving a **** about Meta Knight within a week of Smash3DS' release where 95+% of his former players completely dropped him and people were calling him terrible all over.

Last edited:

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman
Is there a particular reason why people talk about Buzzwole more than the other Ultra Beasts? If any of them would be playable I think it would be Nihilego since it was the first to be revealed and is relevant to the story.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I'm going all in on Buzzwole with this Gen 7 Pokemon. If Vergeben isn't full of it, and the Pokemon character is controversial, I can't see a starter being controversial. A lesser known one like Buzzwole could be though.

Also I want to added a totally ripped fly to my secondary characters
NOW WE ARE TALKING MY DUDE

Is there a particular reason why people talk about Buzzwole more than the other Ultra Beasts? If any of them would be playable I think it would be Nihilego since it was the first to be revealed and is relevant to the story.
I think its just because he's the best built for a fighting game. He also has the most personality out of any of the UBs. I think he just fits the best.
A lot of UBs are very alien and creepy. Ones like Nihilego and Kartana don't really have much personality or character to them. Buzzwole stands out in that regard.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Have you seen this magnificent creature?

Untouch

Smash Master
Out of the three UBs that feature prominently in SM (buzzswole, nihilego and pheromosa), it feels to make like buzzswole is the most popular and would have the easiest time having a moveset translated over.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
When discussions of new Pokemon happen we tend to gravitate towards fighting types. Bewear was a favourite to be the Gen 7 Mon before it's Pokeball was revealed and Hawlucha was everyone' Gen 6 choice before Greninja

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If anything, Bayo being so controversial an addition keeps her fresh in everyone's minds once Bayonetta 3 drops. Nothing like bad publicity to help raise awareness for what you want to sell, after all.

The real kicker is Kazuma Kiryu being confirmed for both games at once
Plus Klonoa, too.

Well, us Smash fans don't really earn anything. We either get what we want or we don't. Either way, we're all horrified witnesses to the car wreck that is the Smash speculation cycle.
A car wreck in slow motion, only with the victims being bad actors and the paramedics forgetting their lines.

D

Deleted member

Buzzwole is just something that screams Smash.
That's why it gets relatively more attention among the Ultra Beasts when the subject of a playable fighter comes up.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Out of the three UBs that feature prominently in SM (buzzswole, nihilego and pheromosa), it feels to make like buzzswole is the most popular and would have the easiest time having a moveset translated over.
Yeah moveset potential is also a factor. There aren't many Smash characters that are able to sap health from other characters. Buzzwole being able to grab someone and suck life out of them would be a really cool mechanic, especially for a heavyweight.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I personally like him more cause of the memes. And also he seems to be one of the most fitting to be in a fighting game.

And also because I see Nihilego as a parasite like Metroid... because it's a parasite.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
With that being said though I wouldn't be surprised if UBs were delegated to another Pokeball item (just Beast Balls) and we got someone else.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
With that being said though I wouldn't be surprised if UBs were delegated to another Pokeball item (just Beast Balls) and we got someone else.
If we don't get to play as a UB, I'd rather them just go all out and have an Ultra Space stage that behaves like past Pokemon Stadium stages. A platform floating through a wormhole that stops in various different UB homeworlds where different things happen.

D

Deleted member

"Because it's relevant to the story" is not a good reason as to why a Pokémon is likely.

That literally has not applied to how any of the Pokémon have gotten in Smash thus far, so why would that be a big deal now, especially when the chosen Pokémon from Gen. 7 would have been decided on before Sun/Moon were even public?

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Part of it is because Buzzwole is kinda the goofy one among the Ultra Beasts. When it appears it goes directly to a flower field where all the cute Pokemon are. Also, if you use Fissure on Buzzwole, Buzzwole will flex and pose before dropping down into the fissure.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Buzzwole is just all around fun.

It's a walking Jo-Joke and it has The S-U-C-C.

But god damn, that succ is scary. I saw what it did to that Snorlax in the anime....

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman
I don't think we are getting another Pokeball variation since there aren't that many Ultra Beasts. I think if anything we will get an Ultra Space stage with the UBs as hazards or they'll just be trophies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Or... Now hear me out, or...
Ultra Space becomes the new Poke Floata
That would be the best timeline.

I don't think we are getting another Pokeball variation since there aren't that many Ultra Beasts. I think if anything we will get an Ultra Space stage with the UBs as hazards or they'll just be trophies.
Wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:

TimonBoyd

Smash Rookie
This game needs to have frequent updates for longevity.

I consider smash to be a special game & personally this project could withstand the test of time more than any smash game, The small things like costumes for each characters, online play updates.

Expanding this game even further with various content that will keep the community interested & invested in it for a long time, with fresh new ideas that can make this one of the most highly played party fighting game on the Nintendo Switch.

Shroob

Sup?

Be warned. Buzzwole is not your friend, and he's not your buddy.

One turn of the back, and it's the SUCC you'll get.

But if any UB would be playable, it'd most assuredly have to be him.... though seeing him run with those 4 legs would be hella awkward.

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman
So the consensus on why people talk about Buzzwole is that it seems more fitting for a fighting game? That makes sense. But if we're talking moveset potential I think Nihilego could be a very interesting character too, or any of the UBs on that matter.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Let's all remember these last few days when only after eliminating Decidueye, Mimikyu, and Lycanroc from consideration did Incineroar become "obvious". Clearly there was a fanbase for him previously, and he was always a contender, but just remember how no Gen 7 was obvious for when people, months from now, talk about how obvious it was.

It may seem silly now, but some people espouse how Greninja was obvious. And there was much less clamouring for him than any of these four.

That's all I ask.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I consider smash to be a special game & personally this project could withstand the test of time more than any smash game, The small things like costumes for each characters, online play updates.

Expanding this game even further with various content that will keep the community interested & invested in it for a long time, with fresh new ideas that can make this one of the most highly played party fighting game on the Nintendo Switch.
Adding to that, it would have a much more practical use of DLC than some other fighters, like Dead Or Alive 5 and its gorillion DLC costumes.

But if any UB would be playable, it'd most assuredly have to be him.... though seeing him run with those 4 legs would be hella awkward.
So the consensus on why people talk about Buzzwole is that it seems more fitting for a fighting game? That makes sense. But if we're talking moveset potential I think Nihilego could be a very interesting character too, or any of the UBs on that matter.
One must also consider the fact that animating Buzzwole's legs alone would be taxing on the programmers.

Great, now I suddenly feel the need to see him getting into a posing contest with Super Macho Man. :p

Last edited:

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
I think we’re overlooking the possibility that our Pokemon rep this game might be not-fully-evolved. Especially considering more than HALF of the pokemon reps aren’t full evolutions

Also overly large stages, but if there's a universe where New Pork City is a legal stage outside of Gentleman's Clause, that's the universe I'd want to compete in.
I find it incredibly unsettling that, according to naming conventions, there was a place called “Pork” in the Mother universe and a place called “Donk” in the Mario universe

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315

Yeah I kinda think thats why people stopped playing Smash 4. The Competitive scene was still going after the last patch notes and honestly Bayonetta was still pretty new in terms of patches. I think that a fighting game should continue to have support way after the last DLC character is out. That way they can make the necessary changes to the character to make them not completely OP. At least I know that Bayonetta will still have something done to her by Sakurai since she publically disgraced him in front of a live audience.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

wow his neutral special is looking slick

Shroob

Sup?
I think we’re overlooking the possibility that our Pokemon rep this game might be not-fully-evolved. Especially considering more than HALF of the pokemon reps aren’t full evolutions

I find it incredibly unsettling that, according to naming conventions, there was a place called “Pork” in the Mother universe and a place called “Donk” in the Mario universe
If it's not a fully evolved 'Mon, the only realistic choice would be Rowlet imo.

Rowlet is by far and large the most popular Gen 7 mon.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
"Because it's relevant to the story" is not a good reason as to why a Pokémon is likely.

That literally has not applied to how any of the Pokémon have gotten in Smash thus far, so why would that be a big deal now, especially when the chosen Pokémon from Gen. 7 would have been decided on before Sun/Moon were even public?
Because Sun and Moon had arguably the biggest focus on the story since Gen V, with all those cutscenes. It may have played a role with selecting the pool of character to choose from.
Plus the fact that Sun and Moon weren't out when Sakurai had to pick a character means that popularity didn't played a role in choosing the character. It was really everything up to Sakurai to choose.

I think people are jumping too hard on Buzzwole. Remember that it is still a version exclusive Pokémon, which may have an effect on it being chosen due to not being familiar to all Gen VII players.

Untouch

Smash Master
B -> Leech Life/Absorb, command grab that absorbs health slowly.
UpB -> Fly (Doesn't even learn Fly it seems but it flies in SM so whatever), similar to DHD's UpB.
SideB -> Lunge, kind of like jolt haymaker, but instead finishes with an uppercut if timed properly.
DownB -> Earthquake, similar to DK's down B, but stomps instead with it's feet. Grounds enemies instead as well.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
necro.JPG

What if Necrozma is the gen 7 Pokemon? According to Bulbapedia he's 2.4 meters tall, making him Ridley size. Would be cool if he could change into his Duskmane and Duskwing forms.

D

Deleted member

Let's all remember these last few days when only after eliminating Decidueye, Mimikyu, and Lycanroc from consideration did Incineroar become "obvious". Clearly there was a fanbase for him previously, and he was always a contender, but just remember how no Gen 7 was obvious for when people, months from now, talk about how obvious it was.

It may seem silly now, but some people espouse how Greninja was obvious. And there was much less clamouring for him than any of these four.

That's all I ask.
....who's saying Incineroar was "obvious"?

Shroob

Sup?
....who's saying Incineroar was "obvious"?
I think now that a lot of people are putting blind faith into Verge's claims that it can't be any of the 3 'most obvious' picks, and them realizing that TPC is pushing Incenaroar for the anime that people are jumping on the "Incenaroar is obvious" boat.

When up until a few days ago, BURD was going to be a shoe in in everyone's minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom