• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
Do the Pokémon still have involvement in the win pose?

Does it matter which is out? Are there 3 poses per mon, or does it randomly send one out per pose?
It's the same way it was in Brawl. Whoever you have out when the match ends is the one you do the Victory Pose with.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Usually the games that 'need' 5 million in sales usually are a result of wasteful spending, massive bloated marketing budgets, or poor gauged expectation from the publisher. SquareEnix for a long time was notorious for developing new game engines where there was probably no need for it.
Oh absolutely, I just wanted an example other than EA where they axe off publishers for only making a decent amount of money rather than all of the money.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Usually the games that 'need' 5 million in sales usually are a result of wasteful spending, massive bloated marketing budgets, or poor gauged expectation from the publisher. SquareEnix for a long time was notorious for developing new game engines where there was probably no need for it.
Kind of reminds me how Sonic Forces was in development for 5 years, but it then turned out that, like 3.5 of those years or something was spent making the Hedgehog Engine 2, and development didn't start on it until after the engine was done or something.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Do the Pokémon still have involvement in the win pose?

Does it matter which is out? Are there 3 poses per mon, or does it randomly send one out per pose?
I think that is the case. I have seen male Pokémon Trainer pet Charizard, although I saw it in a Rage Summer 2018 VoD, and it seems to have been deleted. I imagine the others get varied treatment.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Kind of reminds me how Sonic Forces was in development for 5 years, but it then turned out that, like 3.5 of those years or something was spent making the Hedgehog Engine 2, and development didn't start on it until after the engine was done or something.
That being said Forces still sold above expectations iirc, and it's not like Rise of Lyric where they dramatically lowered expected sales a week before release. Then again Forces was also cheaper than the average AAA release which is a surprisingly large factor for new physical releases, A Way Out sold so well that there were NO copies available in the Netherlands for a while

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Bayo has been nerfed for Smash Ultimate but, as other people have said, she'd have to be nerfed hard to not be a great character, kind of like how Shiek was made hilariously weak in Brawl to weigh out her strong comboing abilities. I feel like we don't have enough match up knowledge to make any strong conclusions yet but, for starters, Snake looks like a Bayo counter because grenades disrupt virtually everything she does close range and Snake still kills light weights with ease. Directional air dodging is a pretty big nerf in itself against Cloud and Bayonetta because even characters with terrible landing options now have something semi reliable. There's other things too like the fact that her slide kick dead stops if it hits shield, dair has a significantly reduced sweet spot, and the knock back for fair has been so reduced that it's almost impossible to carry characters to the side blast zones with it anymore.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Oh absolutely, I just wanted an example other than EA where they axe off publishers for only making a decent amount of money rather than all of the money.
Yep, it's a general symptom that effects large companies not just with the gaming industry. More often then not there is this push to always make more money then you did before whether it's a realistic expectation or not. Doing the same as you did before is never acceptable there must always be more money. It's why you'll often hear business talk about bad years even if they were as successful as they were the year before.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yep, it's a general symptom that effects large companies not just with the gaming industry. More often then not there is this push to always make more money then you did before whether it's a realistic expectation or not. Doing the same as you did before is never acceptable there must always be more money. It's why you'll often hear business talk about bad years even if they were as successful as they were the year before.
The film industry is another example, they used to measure ticket sales but changed it to box office, which may not sound big but that's the reason cinema tickets cost so much these days, it's to inflate the box office score

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Assuming nobody has seen this, it seems that the female and male Inklings have slightly different victory poses when they win a game. A small detail, but great reference to Splatoon overall.
I also notice the female Inkling wearing one of my favorite shoes...another reason why I’m playing the females more than the male ones
Imagine actually trying to tell someone that 400k sales are high.
Seems like you’re trying real hard to downplay Bayonetta
3DS might still have Smash Run(assuming it doesn't just get put in Ultimate) but even it's legacy as the portable Smash is gone due to the Switch granting Ultimate the same option on top of being easier to run due to very likely not requiring a SD card to run the game like Smash3D does...and having the Ice Climbers, characters that were only removed because of Smash3D.
They’ll still be the only Smash game to be in 3D...that’s something I suppose
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...tta_2_has_outsold_its_sister_version_on_wii_u Bayonetta 2's lifetime sales, both versions, are 700k as of March 2018. That's not too bad for a niche title. The first game's sales are at least 170k for the PC which SEGA has said pleased them and the first game cleared over 1.35 sales in 2010, http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20100514_hosoku_e_final.pdf#page=5
https://www.destructoid.com/bayonetta-pc-port-clears-170-000-sales-437840.phtml

Not too shabby for a niche franchise
Looks like some good **** sales to me

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post
I can't wait for Melee at Evo to be the same crap as it is every year. You guys get mad at smash 4 at evo being Bayonetta but melee is the same every year. Lol

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Yeah there is a reason why engines like Unreal have become so common place. A game engine is by far one of the most complicated and expensive process in game development. During the earlier days of gaming it made sense to build a new engine for every game you released because they were simple enough to be make something functional and only worked for that specific game without tanking your budget. As games became more complicated though well... it started to make more finanical sense to use existing engine that accomplish the job and modify that at a much lower cost.

Of course new engines are still done on many games, just not as much as it once was lol.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I can't wait for Melee at Evo to be the same crap as it is every year. You guys get mad at smash 4 at evo being Bayonetta but melee is the same every year. Lol
And for all we know, it might be the final Melee tournament at EVO (unless they decide to keep it there for views), so atleast both games might leave EVO in the most stereotypical of ways

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
So we boo the entire event?
We boo Smash 4 one last time, then we boo Melee, and Daddy Sakurai reveals 3 characters for Ultimate leading us all to that game being the only Smash game at EVO while everyone praises Ultimate as the one true Smash Game

KMDP

Smash Legend
Yeah there is a reason why engines like Unreal have become so common place. A game engine is by far one of the most complicated and expensive process in game development. During the earlier days of gaming it made sense to build a new engine for every game you released because they were simple enough to be make something functional and only worked for that specific game without tanking your budget. As games became more complicated though well... it started to make more finanical sense to use existing engine that accomplish the job and modify that at a much lower cost.

Of course new engines are still done on many games, just not as much as it once was lol.
I mean, that blank space of time in Sonic Forces' development could have still been spent by the writing staff improving the story. >_>

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
This time we boo the Fox players
Nah, if anyone they usually boo HBox because he plays Puff, Fox really doesn't receive any hate as he's incredibly difficult to play and super entertaining to watch (plus there's only one genuine Fox main in the top 8, others just have him as pocket for against HBox). Like I said earlier, it's not just because Bayo is the best character in the game, it's because she's awful to both play against and watch as she can cheese her way to victory so easily, before her it was RosaLuma getting most of the hate despite very few actually playing her.

Personally I love Melee Puff and always cheer for HBox at tournaments, but I can also understand why others might dislike the character as she's very defensive.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I mean, that blank space of time in Sonic Forces' development could have still been spent by the writing staff improving the story. >_>
To be fair, I'm not sure using a standard engine would have prevent that from happening lol. Generally writing isn't what extra money goes to when they cut costs in a lot of cases.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Nah, if anyone they usually boo HBox because he plays Jiggs, Fox really doesn't receive any hate as he's incredibly difficult to play and super entertaining to watch (plus there's only one genuine Fox main in the top 8, others just have him as pocket for against HBox). Like I said earlier, it's not just because Bayo is the best character in the game, it's because she's awful to both play against and watch as she can cheese her way to victory so easily, before her it was RosaLuma getting most of the hate despite very few actually playing her.
I was meming you dip.

In all seriousness this year's Melee went differently, M2K and Armada lost right? I couldn't keep up with anything but I heard they were sent to losers in pools. I still think Melee is a bore to watch outside of Ganon but that's me

D

Deleted member

Nah, if anyone they usually boo HBox because he plays Puff, Fox really doesn't receive any hate as he's incredibly difficult to play and super entertaining to watch (plus there's only one genuine Fox main in the top 8, others just have him as pocket for against HBox). Like I said earlier, it's not just because Bayo is the best character in the game, it's because she's awful to both play against and watch as she can cheese her way to victory so easily, before her it was RosaLuma getting most of the hate despite very few actually playing her.

Personally I love Melee Puff and always cheer for HBox at tournaments, but I can also understand why others might dislike the character as she's very defensive.
They would boo the guy who doesn't have a Fox.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
There shouldn't even be a franchise that occupies two EVO tournaments to begin with.

We could've atleast had mkx or umvc3.

Heck MvCI should've been givin a chance. (not that it would make profit)

Here's hoping Ultimate will bring the smash fanbases together.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I was meming you dip.

In all seriousness this year's Melee went differently, M2K and Armada lost right? I couldn't keep up with anything but I heard they were sent to losers in pools. I still think Melee is a bore to watch outside of Ganon but that's me
M2K is out, Armada is in losers top 8 against S2J

There shouldn't even be a franchise that occupies two EVO tournaments to begin with.

For real haha. I'm gonna be watching the view count more than the games tbh

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Seems like you’re trying real hard to downplay Bayonetta
I'm saying a franchise that has never had noteworthy sales has never had noteworthy sales. That's been a thing with Bayonetta since the very first game. Nobody but Nintendo for some reason even wanted to give the sequel a chance because they knew it would sell poorly. Even with Smash under it's belt her games can only manage like 700k on a console with an install base the Wii U couldn't even dream of. You could say 700k sales is impressive for an obscure franchise but the games are by no means "flying off the shelves" like the guy I originally quoted said.

I mean the fact that Bayonetta's mere image get's a garunteed round booing from crowds these days is a bit of a red flag lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Any version of Marvel would've been great, but Disney had to step in. MKX also would've been awesome. I like watching and playing Mortal Kombat way more than Injustice, so I just didn't watch that at all this year.

Iridium

Smash Hero
M2K vs. Armada was a serious heartbreaker. And he was going on a potentially long losers run . . .

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Ultimate's character diversity is going to be entertaining. You bet'cha i'm going to root for a pichu main in the top 8 if there were to be one.

M2K is out, Armada is in losers top 8 against S2J

For real haha. I'm gonna be watching the view count more than the games tbh
I glanced over a twitter post of Hungrybox where he brags Melee has more views than SFV

Though he didn't see the full context of it apparently.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342

I'm not expecting Ultimate accomplish that and I expect the Melee players to continue to push Melee until the point where it is no longer plausible.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Even with Ultimate, Melee will probably show up at EVO in the future, even if it takes a break one year.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Seeing as Melee's about to start at EVO, I figure it couldn't hurt to mention that we shouldn't be upset if we don't get a character reveal here - it would be fairly unorthodox if we did, given the traditional way that Nintendo handles this.

Also, if we DO get a character reveal, be civil about it. I don't want to see people going into other support threads and saying those characters never stood a chance if it turns out to be Incineroar or Heihachi or something.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I glanced over a twitter post of Hungrybox where he brags Melee has more views than SFV

Though he didn't see the full context of it apparently.
Right now, it's at about 100k in the waiting room. There seems to be a pretty quick drop off going on right after the DK rap finished.. :4dk:

D

Deleted member

Right now, it's at about 100k in the waiting room. There seems to be a pretty quick drop off going on right after the DK rap finished.. :4dk:
The DK Rap is the highlight of EVO, and it will not get any better, so might as well leave at that point.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Even with Ultimate, Melee will probably show up at EVO in the future, even if it takes a break one year.
Melee has become a mainstay there, it'll still take priority over Ultimate at EVO from day 1, just like how Smash 4 played second fiddle to it from its very first EVO and on. Ultimate will have to prove itself if it is to even get a Sunday slot for its GFs.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Seeing as Melee's about to start at EVO, I figure it couldn't hurt to mention that we shouldn't be upset if we don't get a character reveal here - it would be fairly unorthodox if we did, given the traditional way that Nintendo handles this.

Also, if we DO get a character reveal, be civil about it. I don't want to see people going into other support threads and saying those characters never stood a chance if it turns out to be Incineroar or Heihachi or something.
Jokes on you, it is going to be fighting game legend Phoenix Wright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom