• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enchess

Smash Lord
You don’t currently see people getting as mad with a deconfirmed character with Lyn, No Chuckles Knuckles, or as you do Waluigi supporters atm
Yeah, not sure why this keeps needing to be said. AT representation is better than none (at least Waluigi isn't in Isaac's position) and there's not a lot of point in asking an AT to be upgraded before the base game even launches. I swear half the conversation is about DLC and we don't even have the base roster yet..

?????????????

Smash Master
Oh, people are always trying to find excuses as to why a character CAN'T happen. Why it's IMPOSSIBLE.

"They won't add Mac, he's an Assist Trophy. They won't add Mac, he only punches. They won't add Snake back, Kojima is gone. They won't add Ridley, he's too big."

Maybe, instead, just say you don't really care for the character WITHOUT making up an excuse? Focus your time on supporting the characters you DO want instead of dragging the others down?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Oh, people are always trying to find excuses as to why a character CAN'T happen. Why it's IMPOSSIBLE.

"They won't add Mac, he's an Assist Trophy. They won't add Mac, he only punches. They won't add Snake back, Kojima is gone. They won't add Ridley, he's too big."

Maybe, instead, just say you don't really care for the character WITHOUT making up an excuse? Focus your time on supporting the characters you DO want instead of dragging the others down?
p r e a c h

D

Deleted member

I agree!
I think Bandanna Dee and King K. Rool are among the most likely, because King K. Rool has been demanded ever since Brawl and is still very popular. Bandanna Dee is part of Sakurai's creation: The Kirby Franchise. Bandanna Dee is also getting more popular. So I think those two are among the most likely out of the other newcomers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michelaar

Smash Cadet
On the third party aspect, I think we have more than enough already, I feel. We have Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud AND Bayonetta. That's 7 third party characters. I think i'd be fine with one more but no more than that.

On the other hand, I don't think there is any character that has 0% chance to get in Smash.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I agree!
I think Bandanna Dee and King K. Rool are among the most likely, because King K. Rool has been demanded ever since Brawl and is still very popular. Bandanna Dee is part of Sakurai's creation: The Kirby Franchise. Bandanna Dee is also getting more popular. So I think those two are among the most likely out of the other newcomers.
I agree. Not only they are very popular in the West, but SourceGaming researches shows that they are both very requested in Japan.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
why September? wouldn't that leave you with a 2 month gap of absolutely nothing?
2 months of nothing is, well, nothing when it comes to Smash Speculation. Melee had roughly 4 months of no new character reveals, Smash 4's longest stretch was 6 months, and Brawl's was a whopping 15 months with radio silence on newcomers. A Direct is a but guaranteed to show up by September because of the Switch's online service launch so the hiatus we're currently expecting will barely tap 3 months at most.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Popularity is not the only factor for characters getting into Smash. I highly doubt that all of the newcomers will be popular, highly requested characters.

D

Deleted member

On the other hand, I don't think there is any character that has 0% chance to get in Smash.
With that logic, that means Putin has a chance in Smash Bros.

Popularity is not the only factor for characters getting into Smash. I highly doubt that all of the newcomers will be popular, highly requested characters.
While popularity is a big factor, I agree.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Of course. But so far Inklings, Ridley and Daisy had all relevant support. While I still think there might be some less requested characters, like a RH rep or Elma, a good portion of the newcomers would have been taken from the Ballot, where characters like Ridley, KKR, Inklings and Bandana Dee did well.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

Agree with this alot.

Tho, you can also be like me, expect a bunch of character you know won't get in. And be so full of sadness that you be happy with whatever you get!
kappa.png

Enchess

Smash Lord
I mean sure, in general Nintendo characters will get in over certain third parties because it is made by Nintendo and HAL, but still...
Like I have seen some people complain in Smash 4 about how there are too many third parties in this thread.
I do not mind getting one or two more.
I just feel like saying "I'd rather no more third parties so niche Nintendo gets a chance" is starting to get treated like "Goku is the most deserving character". There are valid reasons within the framework of Smash why not everyone wants this to be a general gaming crossover. It's not an inherently bad opinion.

I do personally think Sm4sh went overboard. The game feels the least cohesive roster-wise to me (Sm4sh is actually my favorite even with that btw). I personally think Cloud will never be as interesting of an addition to the roster as Lip would've been, a character from a game I've never played or have a strong love for like I do for FFVII. But then again, my favorite choice for MvC series was Firebrand and out of every new character announcement ever for Smash, Shulk was the one I got most excited for.

Last edited:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528

Preach! If more people focused on supporting the characters they loved without trying to attack another character on the board, things would probably be a lot calmer and civil. From what I recall, every time the community has made an excuse, it tends to get proven wrong every time.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
What is even the purpose of singling out Waluigi fans, then?
The hypothetical was that Waluigi was promoted first, and then Lyn was promoted and people have their complaints about her specifically that have to do with FE-related issues.
What does Waluigi have to do with the problems people have with Lyn to the point that we need to "suck it up and **** off" just because Waluigi got in?
Well for garts and starters
Upgrading Waluigi is opening a Pandora's Box Y'all.

What about other Assist Trophies? Should they be upgraded? "Why does Sakurai hate [character/series]?"

Imagine the salt if Midna or Ghirahim weren't upgraded but Waluigi was, what a slap in the face to fans of those characters and Zelda fans in general. Redesigns are nice but it'd be a low blow that someone like Waluigi was prioritized over other fan picks like Midna/Ghirahim.

Imagine the salt if Lyn was upgraded, "another sword-user", "another FE character".
Followed by my extra content I added in my first reply towards you
It’ll just be a pattern every time the top character is chosen to Smash (Ridley to Waluigi, there’ll always be (one of)the main top choice of a character who’ll have the most amount of rage from supporters in the deconfirmed character section. We could go from the world praising Waluigi joining Smash to having the same world rage over someone like Ashley, Geno, or K Rool not Smashing)
And now another reason that I like
So yeah...anywhom
On the third party aspect, I think we have more than enough already, I feel. We have Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud AND Bayonetta. That's 7 third party characters. I think i'd be fine with one more but no more than that.

Both Gokus
Yeah, not sure why this keeps needing to be said. AT representation is better than none (at least Waluigi isn't in Isaac's position) and there's not a lot of point in asking an AT to be upgraded before the base game even launches. I swear half the conversation is about DLC and we don't even have the base roster yet..
Exactly...RIP in Peace to young Issac, he did not get to Smash long enough

Can you go become a Smash Church Preacher?

Last edited:

Noventiaa

Smash Cadet
I don't really get anyone who doesn't want a specific character. There are a lot of characters that loads of people want in that i'm not too interested in (eg: K rool, ashley) but I don't actively NOT want them in smash, just passively disinterested.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't really get anyone who doesn't want a specific character. There are a lot of characters that loads of people want in that i'm not too interested in (eg: K rool, ashley) but I don't actively NOT want them in smash, just passively disinterested.
Because people want to believe "not worthy" characters are blocking the way of "worthy" characters.

That, and differing ideas about what Smash is.

D

Deleted member

"In the name of Sakurai, Nintendo, and the Original 12, we pray."
Top quality posting.
2 months of nothing is, well, nothing when it comes to Smash Speculation. Melee had roughly 4 months of no new character reveals, Smash 4's longest stretch was 6 months, and Brawl's was a whopping 15 months with radio silence on newcomers. A Direct is a but guaranteed to show up by September because of the Switch's online service launch so the hiatus we're currently expecting will barely tap 3 months at most.
I heard Brawl Speculation and the wait was interesting. What was the Brawl Speculation like?

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
Hey don't know if it's been mentioned anywhere, but if you have Amazon Prime you can pre-order Ultimate, get on release day, and save $12 (making the game $48.99 pre-tax) at check-out.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, as an Isaac supporter, I'm actually a little glad his AT got excluded from Smash 4 as it almost certainly meant more people supported him as a ballot choice, thinking he was actually eligible to make it into the game. Though I will regret that satisfaction if Isaac never makes it into Smash again in any form

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
I’ve honestly never actively not wanted a character. I don’t even particularly care about the Fire Emblem Series and wouldn’t even give damn if it got more characters.

Last edited:

Awesomeperson159

Smash Apprentice
I wish there weren't AT's that had moveset potential, like Lyn, Waluigi, Midna, Ashley, etc., and instead AT's were mainly enemies and side characters (Hammer Bro, Metroid, Chain Chomp, etc.). It seems to be a lot harder to get promoted from AT than from regular trophy or nothing, and it's kinda disappointing when you see your favourite character in Smash Bros, coming out of an Assist Trophy, and realizing that even with DLC, they have no chance of getting in.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
It saddens me when people say that "Oh there are too much Third Parties this is supposed to be a UH Nintendo only fighting game with a few of those iconic guys."

I think Smash Bros. is mostly Nintendo, but gaming as a whole. I do not care if they add more third parties. Like getting one or two third parties before DLC would be neat.

So complaining about how there are "too much third parties" is just plain wrong.
Agree to disagree.

Upgrading Waluigi is opening a Pandora's Box Y'all.

What about other Assist Trophies? Should they be upgraded? "Why does Sakurai hate [character/series]?"

Imagine the salt if Midna or Ghirahim weren't upgraded but Waluigi was, what a slap in the face to fans of those characters and Zelda fans in general. Redesigns are nice but it'd be a low blow that someone like Waluigi was prioritized over other fan picks like Midna/Ghirahim.

Imagine the salt if Lyn was upgraded, "another sword-user", "another FE character". You know they'd upgrade Lyn if Assist Trophies could be upgraded for DLC, her immense popularity was shown to IS and Nintendo in 2017 with CYL and she's been growing ever since. Heroes has made $400 million, it's obvious that it has influence and Lyn is free money at that point.

Imagine the salt if... I could go on and on. You may think we have hit some peak levels of irritation when it comes to playable characters but "all Assist Trophies are equal but some are more equal than others." is going to seriously harm the Smash fanbase.
Some people take roster additions way too seriously. That's just the way it is. So people will always find something to be mad about. I don't think upgrading an assist trophy is different than any other means of adding a character.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
At this point, I think Waluigi as a DLC is 50/50.

- Way to make additional money
- If you don't like him, don't buy him
- Because DLC is extra content for people already with the game, I don't see a Pandora's Box phenomenon on Assist Trophies being a thing

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I won't even pretend to act like I'm accepting of all characters, because the truth is, there are more than a few specific characters who I definitely don't want to see in Smash. One of the more popular examples is Geno.

But you know what? That's okay.

Sometimes I feel like the fanbase acts as if it's a crime to not support every character brought to the table. Truth is, it's fine if you don't want a specific character in Smash. We all have preferences, and no one should ever be put in a position to where they feel like they have to hide their feeling just because their opinions aren't supportive.

As long as you stay civil and treat the supporters the same way you'd like to be treated, you should be able to explain why you don't want a character in Smash.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
I wish there weren't AT's that had moveset potential, like Lyn, Waluigi, Midna, Ashley, etc., and instead AT's were mainly enemies and side characters (Hammer Bro, Metroid, Chain Chomp, etc.). It seems to be a lot harder to get promoted from AT than from regular trophy or nothing, and it's kinda disappointing when you see your favourite character in Smash Bros, coming out of an Assist Trophy, and realizing that even with DLC, they have no chance of getting in.
Idk, as a Saki supporter I think a combination of various "Word of God"s and the perceived fan service nature of Ultimate means he has a real chance this time... but I don't see him as DLC and I'll sleep better at night knowing he's in the base game in any form than holding onto the hope of DLC.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
I was looking at an Assist Trophy list to look for potential new fighters, and Little Mac's old Assist Trophy model from Brawl sure is... something...

D

Deleted member

We went from talking to Dracula conversations with all of the characters to dumb responses and communism and then to Smash Bros. Religion.
I love this thread.
I just feel like saying "I'd rather no more third parties so niche Nintendo gets a chance" is starting to get treated like "Goku is the most deserving character". There are valid reasons within the framework of Smash why not everyone wants this to be a general gaming crossover. It's not an inherently bad opinion.

I do personally think Sm4sh went overboard. The game feels the least cohesive roster-wise to me (Sm4sh is actually my favorite even with that btw). I personally think Cloud will never be as interesting of an addition to the roster as Lip would've been, a character from a game I've never played or have a strong love for like I do for FFVII. But then again, my favorite choice for MvC series was Firebrand and out of every new character announcement ever for Smash, Shulk was the one I got most excited for.
Smash 4 did no go overboard, I think it added the right amount of third party. Not too much to stagnate Nintendo's, but a good amount to hypen people including me to realize Smash is a celebration of gaming as a whole, not only Nintendo.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Eh

Certain characters I'd rather not see. Don't mean I will enjoy the game less if said characters make it in. Heck big chance I might enjoy them in the end.

Snake was someone I heavily disliked during the early brawl days... and look at him now! Becoming one of my favorite characters in gaming overall.

How times have changed.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
On the topic of not liking/wanting characters, I'm going to quote my own post from the Unpopular Opinions thread.

It's okay to hate certain characters.
It's okay to want certain characters cut.
It's okay to hope certain characters don't get in.
It's okay to hope that there won't be any newcomers from a certain series.

Just don't be an *** about it. There's a line between not liking a character, and thus not wanting them in Smash, versus not wanting a character in Smash just so that their fanbase will be upset. Or thinking that a series has enough characters, and thus not wanting more, versus wanting the series to be cut entirely out of spite for fans of that series.
I don't see a problem with not liking or wanting specific characters. In the end, an opinion is an opinion, and someone else's opinion isn't going to change a character's chances of getting in.

There's a problem when you're attacking a character's community because they like/want a character you don't, or attacking someone because they don't like/want a character you do. Just agree to disagree and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom