• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I loved the 3rd parties in smash 4.

All of them (minus Bayo) are gaming icons and instantly recognizable.

Bayo kinda shines light on the modern 3rd party games on nintendo consoles. She's kind of in a similiar role as a monster hunter rep. Either that or i'm way off with this post.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I wish there weren't AT's that had moveset potential, like Lyn, Waluigi, Midna, Ashley, etc., and instead AT's were mainly enemies and side characters (Hammer Bro, Metroid, Chain Chomp, etc.). It seems to be a lot harder to get promoted from AT than from regular trophy or nothing, and it's kinda disappointing when you see your favourite character in Smash Bros, coming out of an Assist Trophy, and realizing that even with DLC, they have no chance of getting in.
"Promotion" isn't a real concept.
And not being an Assist Trophy doesn't raise your chances in being playable via DLC, since characters for it are chosen differently.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I could've sworn I saw a post about Waluigi and Shadow being cursed characters this speculation period but I can't find it, was gunna reply...

Anyway my point was that what really confuses me is that Waluigi is deconfirmed and people are still talking about him heavily, did this happen before in speculation? Like the Ridley shadow sure but once he was confirmed as a stage hazard I don't even remember him realling being brought up for dlc. It's just weird, especially when he's usually brought up as a potential dlc newcomer and like, we don't even know all the base game newcomers yet lol.

Last edited:

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
I loved the 3rd parties in smash 4.

All of them (minus Bayo) are gaming icons and instantly recognizable.

Bayo kinda shines light on the modern 3rd party games on nintendo consoles. She's kind of in a similiar role as a monster hunter rep. Either that or i'm way off with this post.
It still blows my mind that Cloud Strife is playable in Smash.

Like, really, it's been 3 years and it's still kind of hard to believe.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I could've sworn I saw a post about Waluigi and Shadow being cursed characters this speculation period but I can't find it, was gunna reply...

Anyway my point was that what really confuses me is that Waluigi is deconfirmed and people are still talking about him heavily, did this happen before in speculation? Like the Ridley shadow sure but once he was confirmed as a stage hazard I don't even remember him realling being brought up for dlc. It's just weird, especially when he's usually brought up as a potential dlc newcomer and like, we don't even know all the base game newcomers yet lol.
Pretty sure Ridley was still consistently brought up over and over again after his discomfirmation.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Yes, it assists on smashing the fun out of the business and makes it serious.
This is of the few instances where I don't get what you are trying to say, Shiny.

xD But yeah, serious stuff. Totally.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So, potential Zelda newcomers anyone? I think it's long overdue personally. Impa is a front runner for sure, and for good reasons. But if she's a Echo of Sheik, there's room for more probably.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
The fact that the smash website puts quite the emphasis on sorting characters by series makes me think we will get some reps for previous franchise just like most of us predict.

Anyone think alike?

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
So, potential Zelda newcomers anyone? I think it's long overdue personally. Impa is a front runner for sure, and for good reasons. But if she's a Echo of Sheik, there's room for more probably.
As unlikely as it is, I've always liked the idea of Impa using her Naginata from Hyrule Warriors. Other than that, it would be amazing to see Skull Kid but I don't think there's any chance of that happening, so I've never actively supported it.

D

Deleted member

Not my fault the phrase “No Johns” is really really stupid.
I actually like it and it is funny Reggie referenced it to a player in a small group who complained.
This is of the few instances where I don't get what you are trying to say, Shiny.

xD But yeah, serious stuff. Totally.
Oh this post smashed my expectations in a good way.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The fact that the smash website puts quite the emphasis on sorting characters by series makes me think we will get some reps for previous franchise just like most of us predict.

Anyone think alike?
No. It makes it more likely that there will be an option to sort fighters by series in the CSS.

?????????????

Smash Master
I was in a big discussion yesterday about Skull Kid.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
As unlikely as it is, I've always liked the idea of Impa using her Naginata from Hyrule Warriors. Other than that, it would be amazing to see Skull Kid but I don't think there's any chance of that happening, so I've never actively supported it.
Impa with the Naginata would be so awesome indeed! I really would love Hyrule Warriors Impa, but am honestly anticipating a Sheik Echo. Not that it would do her justice, but I take that over nothing at all.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I'd go Vaati. He's like the next most recurring main character after Link, Zelda, Ganon (Impa is more recurring, but a side character)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
No because that’s dumb.
Dumb enough to work
On the topic of not liking/wanting characters, I'm going to quote my own post from the Unpopular Opinions thread.

I don't see a problem with not liking or wanting specific characters. In the end, an opinion is an opinion, and someone else's opinion isn't going to change a character's chances of getting in.

There's a problem when you're attacking a character's community because they like/want a character you don't, or attacking someone because they don't like/want a character you do. Just agree to disagree and move on.
How in the blue hell was that an unpopular opinion?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Beedle is one of the most recurring Zelda characters, represents the zaniness of Hyrule, as well as showcasing items and wares of the realm.

Beedle is now my number one want from Zelda.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I’d prefer Vaati(in his demon form) or Skull Kid over Impa. Because they’d be more interesting characters and not a echo fighter of the character with the least interesting move set.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Vaati hasn't appeared in a long time. And Four Swords is hardly ever referenced in mainstream Zelda games, if at all. Vaati also didn't even appear in Hyrule Warriors. He's highly unlikely.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

...?

That’s...a bit of a logical jump.

As I said, I really don’t care one way or another about Waluigi. I’m just trying to play devil’s advocate here.

Anybody else remeber the DLC last round? “Roy won't be in because there’s already a Roy in the game and Smash has never had two characters with the same name!” “Ryu won’t be in because he’s Capcom and Capcom already has a rep in game!” “Corrin can’t get in; he’s too recent and we have too many Fire Emblems!” “The last DLC character will definitely be a super popular ballot character and not one who’s been preplanned!”

Do I expect a DLc promotion? No. Is it possible? As I’m not Sakurai, I can’t say no...
I remember the whole Roy problem.

Heck in his Smash trailer they even joke around it by having Roy dash attack the other Roy off the screen.

This was also something that bothered some Isaac fans for a while because apparently Isaac’s name in JP is Robin. Weird...

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
On the topic of not liking/wanting characters, I'm going to quote my own post from the Unpopular Opinions thread.

I don't see a problem with not liking or wanting specific characters. In the end, an opinion is an opinion, and someone else's opinion isn't going to change a character's chances of getting in.

There's a problem when you're attacking a character's community because they like/want a character you don't, or attacking someone because they don't like/want a character you do. Just agree to disagree and move on.
Wholeheartedly agree. For example, I really don't want anymore FE characters, Steve, or the Dragonborn. If it happens, I ultimately won't mind too much and will accept them into the roster, but don't want them to happen at all. However, I won't harp on or trash anyone who wants them.

just as long as I get Phoenix Wright everything will be fine

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Skull Kid and Impa seem to be the front runners and I want them both real bad.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
How in the blue hell was that an unpopular opinion?
At the time, there was a Bayonetta discussion going on in this forum. One person mentioned that they didn't care for the fact that she was back, and quite a few people jumped on them for it. As if they just could not stand to let an opinion other than theirs slip by. This fueled the 'It's okay to not like' part.

There was also a post in the RTC thread where someone mentioned that they wouldn't mind a certain character getting in, just so that they could 'revel in the salt' of another character's fanbase. That fueled the 'Don't be an ass about it' part.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Argh, the more I think about Skull Kid the more I like the idea of him in Smash, but I don't want to get my hopes up, because let's be honest, it's not very likely!

dezeray112

Smash Hero
It still blows my mind that Cloud Strife is playable in Smash.

Like, really, it's been 3 years and it's still kind of hard to believe.
Same here. Cloud was someone that I really didn't think have high expectations of being in a Smash Bros. game, but when he was announced I was very surprised and glad at the same time as a long time fan of the Final Fantasy series. Its almost as if Nintendo did the impossible, possible.

Do u guys expect a reveal this week?
Well, Mark Julio did state that they have announcements to be shown at EVO, but I wouldn't really put too much expectations on a reveal there. There is still Gamescom to come later this month and I think a reveal there is possible.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Do u guys expect a reveal this week?
Either this or next week. Or
the week after, which is the speculated drop date for the latest Xenoblade 2 patch that will add Elma from Xenoblade X as a playable Blade. It’s possible she may also be revealed in Smash with it.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Beedle could use a cooking pot (used to make potions potentially), fishing pole, peddle around in the air, throw animal bait for summons, and pull out various items and wares from his large rhino beetle-shaped backpack.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Same here. Cloud was someone that I really didn't think have high expectations of being in a Smash Bros. game, but when he was announced I was very surprised and glad at the same time as a long time fan of the Final Fantasy series. Its almost as if Nintendo did the impossible, possible.
Yeah, definitely. I still remember all the discussions about how "Cloud would be awesome, but let's be real, it'll never happen." And I'm so glad he's specifically based on the original FFVII Cloud and not Compilation Cloud, AC outfit notwithstanding.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If you could choose to see all the Echoes this month or one unique newcomer, which one would you pick?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Tingle.

He's probably not happening this time, or ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom