• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Mii VOs eh?

I’d also like to suggest Eden Riegel, Erika Harlacher, Ben Diskin, and Keith Silverstein

D

Deleted member

They should get Steve Burton for the Mii voices. He wouldn't be voicing Cloud, so it would be A-OK!
:4pacman:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, no point in replying to all of it when being talked down to. Your point is gotten, but still isn't accurate to what matters during development. You're making it sound completely black and white, Koopaul. It's not.

The reality is, Alph and Olimar are identical in every way that matters when it comes to Smash. And their home game has always been part of the reason an echo is made, so "just because" is not enough. Alph is still a costume simply because there was nothing interesting to do with him beyond being a costume at this time. The character is even "called" Pikmin on the pages. They're part of the character. It's very clear just because you technically play as only one character and not the other that all parts of the character are still considered the full thing. Popo is who you play as, yes. Nana is still part of the full character. This is why there was no way we could get solo Popo in Smash. In certain cases, like Pokemon Trainer, it's less important but still kept as important in the long run. As shown by his return in Ultimate.

In the end, all parts are the actual Character. This doesn't mean they can't be split apart, obviously. But it's still how the moveset works. In fact, this is why all veterans retain their regular moveset to a near identical degree, with small changes at best. Because the moveset... is the character too. It was always both, and always will be. This isn't an rpg, where a character is defined mostly by their personality(well, many rpg's). This is a fighting game where a character is defined by their moveset first. Not simply even their character design, which can easily be changed with little changes to their moveset at best. It's kind of the point. Pikmin & Olimar is the character and the moveset. The fact Alph still is an alt should already make it clear that Pikmin still is important enough to the full moveset that they won't simply add another Pikmin character just because they can "alone". There has to be a real reason to do so. And every clone and echo have a reason beyond "for the sake of it".

Dr. Mario: Also can add new music to Smash.
Young Link: Actually is considered the first version of Link in the first Zelda game according to the Melee Trophy.
Roy: Promotional purposes.
Falco: A very popular character.
Pichu: A major Gen II character, easily popular from the movies alone, represents the baby Pokmon too.
Ganondorf: His popularity actually helped a lot in being chosen. It wasn't as simple as "ooh, we got a model". His character importance was relevant too, and something Sakurai noted alone.
Toon Link: Because he's a major version of Link.
Wolf: Major Star Fox character as well.
(All Smash 64 clones were major characters or protagonists of their own respective franchises and from highly popular and notable games).
Lucina: A major character but also worked well as a Marth echo due to posing as him in her own game.
Dark Pit: Because he couldn't use the same Final Smash.
Daisy: Because she's a severely popular and wanted addition.

They all brought something beyond "just being easy", though in many cases being popular alone is enough. Nobody was added for the sake of it. Sakurai actually, you know, does things because there's logic to it. Nobody should be surprised Alph remains a costume at this time. If he does become a separate character, which so far seems unlikely, there'll be a real reason for it. It could be to promote the new Pikmin game that we know of, for instance. Is it enough of a reason for everyone? No, of course not. But it's still a reason he has. There is no such thing as "adding a character just for the sake of it". That's just not how development works.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I wish that we could get a super BELIEVABLE render of Issac or anyone in order to get us discussing the truth of the leak for days, weeks, even months and bring this place into shambles.

Have that character be someone that no expects to make it even better.

Last edited:

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice
Sigh, I miss Smash 4 leaks. I wasn't actively in a thread or anything but SO much more effort was put in. Joke leaks like Wurmple have more effort then your average leak these days.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wish that we could get a super BELIEVABLE render of Issac or anyone in order to get us discussing the truth of the leak for days, weeks, even months and bring this place into shambles.

Have that character be someone that no expects to make it even better.
Sigh, I miss Smash 4 leaks. I wasn't actively in a thread or anything but SO much more effort was put in. Joke leaks like Wurmple have more effort then your average leak these days.
While the Smashified render debacle was neat, I'm not entirely sure Smash 4 speculation was that much better. It was the age of fan-made rules (more than now, anyway), Ridley's shadow, and "Pichu is the final DLC character, you'll see!".

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice
While the Smashified render debacle was neat, I'm not entirely sure Smash 4 speculation was that much better. It was the age of fan-made rules (more than now, anyway), Ridley's shadow, and "Pichu is the final DLC character, you'll see!".
I just mean there were a LOT less text leaks, haha

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Well since the Miis are our fighter of the day, which VAs would you like to see as one of the 12 voice options. You don't need to list 12, just whoever you can think of.
Laura Bailey, Tara Strong, and Johnny Yong Bosch.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ridley's Shadow wasn't proven wrong entirely. It's true he wasn't playable. But Duck Hunt was still a stage hazard in some way but also playable... on the stage named Duck Hunt too. Basically, there was no reason to believe it was impossible for him to be playable, even as a hazard. At least till the game came out and Sakurai explained why he wasn't. It was silly to pretend he wasn't an obvious Hazard, but we already found out you can be a Hazard and Playable anyway. I don't think he was going to be playable either, but that was more due to how much time he spent on making Ridley unique, so time spent on him being playable didn't seem that realistic.

Pichu is back, and to be fair, is actually really popular. In fact, the reason people talked about him being playable is that Ivysaur and Squirtle were far more tied at the hip, and got in because of Pokemon Trainer. Charizard was able to stand on his own two feet easily due to being a far bigger character and way more popular. Besides that, Pichu was an easy and quick character to make. Ivysaur and Squirtle requires way more work, and something other than a Tether Recovery for Ivysaur(at that time, as Tether Recoveries were removed for balance reasons). People didn't expect the duo to ever be split up. They were right. So it wasn't all that simple. Really, the silly part was people expecting a Grass character DLC just for the elemental triangle, which didn't even matter anymore since it was specific to Pokemon Trainer's mechanic alone.

KMDP

Smash Legend
IF SANDBAG WAS A SMASH VETERAN, HE WOULD HAVE FANS.

EVERYONE IS HERE, MAN. EVERYONE.
I wasn't talking about people wanting Pichu (because I wanted Pichu back, too)

I'm talking about Pichu being the last DLC character, that makes no sense. :laugh:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

I'm talking about Pichu being the last DLC character, that makes no sense. :laugh:
Of course it does.
Following up C L O U D with Pichu and leaving it at that would've left fans with a great taste in their mouth.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Ridley's Shadow wasn't proven wrong entirely. It's true he wasn't playable. But Duck Hunt was still a stage hazard in some way but also playable... on the stage named Duck Hunt too. Basically, there was no reason to believe it was impossible for him to be playable, even as a hazard. At least till the game came out and Sakurai explained why he wasn't. It was silly to pretend he wasn't an obvious Hazard, but we already found out you can be a Hazard and Playable anyway. I don't think he was going to be playable either, but that was more due to how much time he spent on making Ridley unique, so time spent on him being playable didn't seem that realistic.

Pichu is back, and to be fair, is actually really popular. In fact, the reason people talked about him being playable is that Ivysaur and Squirtle were far more tied at the hip, and got in because of Pokemon Trainer. Charizard was able to stand on his own two feet easily due to being a far bigger character and way more popular. Besides that, Pichu was an easy and quick character to make. Ivysaur and Squirtle requires way more work, and something other than a Tether Recovery for Ivysaur(at that time, as Tether Recoveries were removed for balance reasons). People didn't expect the duo to ever be split up. They were right. So it wasn't all that simple. Really, the silly part was people expecting a Grass character DLC just for the elemental triangle, which didn't even matter anymore since it was specific to Pokemon Trainer's mechanic alone.
All of that is fair. On that last point, I just found it silly that one particular user was dead set on Pichu being in again (which he is now, so hey, everybody's happy, right?) as the last DLC for Smash 4, only to be blindsided by Bayo.

Last edited:
As cool as it is that we're getting 12 voice options for Miis, I really hope we still are allowed to make Miis that have no voices whatsoever.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Of course it does.
Following up C L O U D with Pichu and leaving it at that would've left fans with a great taste in their mouth.
The great taste of S O D I U M C H L O R I D E!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
All of that is fair. On that last point, I just found it silly that one particular user was dead set on Pichu being in again (which he is now, so hey, everybody's happy, right?) as the last DLC for Smash 4, only to be blindsided by Bayo .
Ah, that. Yeah, I agree. Bayo felt like a better option due to being more unique. Pichu is a great character, but he got enough hate that people might not easily pay for him. Bayo was safer due to being a 3rd party overall. Coincidentally, it was safe in hindsight due to the ballot showing how popular she is.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
IF SANDBAG WAS A SMASH VETERAN, HE WOULD HAVE FANS.

EVERYONE IS HERE, MAN. EVERYONE.
You include Sandbag, but not Sandbag-Chan?

For shame, shame on You. XD

(Credits to the artist for this icon, can be found in the link in my Signature.)

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Alph is still a costume simply because there was nothing interesting to do with him beyond being a costume at this time.
I'd argue a lot of echos don't really have anything ineresting to them other than a few tweaks. They are basically identical and don't add much other than "Look a bonus fighter!" Sakurai even called them a dessert to a meal.

The character is even "called" Pikmin on the pages. They're part of the character. It's very clear just because you technically play as only one character and not the other that all parts of the character are still considered the full thing. Popo is who you play as, yes. Nana is still part of the full character. This is why there was no way we could get solo Popo in Smash.
Actually we could. In their home game, Popo can be played Solo. Smash Melee decided they had to be side by side. Smash set the standard. And they could just as as easily undo that standard. Just like Charizard was. But I don't want Alph to be separate from Pikmin anyway. Who does. I'm just saying that there is a distinct character in there that could very well justify another fighter.

Pikmin & Olimar is the character and the moveset. The fact Alph still is an alt should already make it clear that Pikmin still is important enough to the full moveset that they won't simply add another Pikmin character just because they can "alone". There has to be a real reason to do so. And every clone and echo have a reason beyond "for the sake of it".
I never implied that Alph should or would be separate from the Pikmin. However you could still add different properties to the Alph part of "Pikmin & Alph". Pikmin & Olimar could be different from Pikmin & Alph. Why not?

Dr. Mario: Also can add new music to Smash.
That's the silliest justification for a clone I've ever heard. If that's the real reason he was added than I believe it's an excuse and he was actually added because it was easy to do.

If Dr. Mario could be justified as a clone just for some music then Alph could be justified as a clone so that the Final Smash features a different ship. Or because they wanted to add Rock Pikmin or any number of excuses.

They all brought something beyond "just being easy", though in many cases being popular alone is enough. Nobody was added for the sake of it. Sakurai actually, you know, does things because there's logic to it.
All those reasons seemed like major excuses. So if making Alph an echo because it would mean the Pikmin series would have another fighter is not a good reason, but having the Dr. Mario music in Melee is a good reason? Then Salurai is clearly delusional because that sounds absolutely absurd. I honestly have a hard time believing Sakurai is delusional so I'm going to assume the main reason some of these clones were made because they were easy to do. Not all. But some.

Nobody should be surprised Alph remains a costume at this time. If he does become a separate character, which so far seems unlikely, there'll be a real reason for it. It could be to promote the new Pikmin game that we know of, for instance.
Well that's exactly why he could have been a clone in Smash 4 to promote Pikmin 3. Now the oppertunity has come and gone.

Anyway. You I'm not going to argue if you are right or wrong about whether those are the reasons why Alph is not an echo and won't be an echo. You are probably right. Those might very well be the reasons. But I will continue to believe they are incredibly silly and ludicrous reasons. And I will continue to believe there is no GOOD reason not to have him be an echo, given what we already have on the roster.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I would still rather get a cool legendary pokemon from an older generation than just another starter pokemon from the most current generation.
I feel you, I wanted Suicune as a newcomer but... *sniff* that's not happening. I also wanted Latios as a Gen 3 , with Latias as an alt, but I'm not sure that's anymore likely, but I haven't seen them as a Pokéball in Ultimate, so there's a slight glimmer of hope, a fine trail of light.

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
Let's play a game; "Nintendo's top echo"

A game where you get to pick only one Echo fighter. Not based on how likely the character is for the game, or how perfect they would fit the role as an echo fighter, but one that you particularly would like to see in the game as an echo. It can be an obscure one, it could be a popular often talked about one. The only requirement is that you have to write a little review on why they should be an echo, and what the character itself means to you! You can comment on other's choices, but be more creative than; "That's most likely not going to happen. Or, what a stupid choice, get outta heah~"

I'll start. Mine is: Black Shadow.
Echo: Captain Falcon.

While I do think that Black Shadow could warrent his own moveset quite well (like most echoes being dicussed), I still think that the best chance he would have had was being an echo, as F-Zero as a series right now is quite dormant. I was kind of against it, but seeing how positivily I reacted towards Daisy, I think I'd be blessed with his appearence either way. Black Shadow to me is pretty cool, as I've been a huge fan of F-Zero for years, and my favourite being GX in the series it had some more personality, and story, were Black Shadow shined through as a badass villain. I'm in favour of good series have some great representation, not for the "rep" count, but at least some more characters that I would personally like to see, and F-Zero being of the original 12, I think it's really something that would be great. I see a lot of people talking about "Ninten" as somewhat of a possibility, but how much probable is a "Mother" character over an F-Zero? Both series have not receieved anything in years. Therefore, I'd also love to see Black Shadow as an echo, as he actually would fit that very well, we would get another villain, and a new F-Zero character. And while Samurai Goroh is my favourite amongst the bunch, Black Shadow comes right behind in terms of my most wanted F-Zero pilots.
I might be the only one doing this, and I might be a few hours late, but I do want to talk about a topic very important to me.
And that's Spheal.

Arguably one of the least deserving characters of an Echo is Jigglypuff, with Pokémon already having many, many representatives and Jigglypuff being there just because she has the honor of being one of the original twelve- a relic of the nineties. But Spheal would be the perfect choice for a Jigglypuff echo. Gameplay-wise, he fits almost perfectly, with a few minor changes that fall under the Echo category. I'll talk about my Reasoning and the Gameplay mechanics behind it.

Resoning-wise, Spheal has very little holding him up for a spot on the illustrious Smash Roster. Spheal as a pokemon has recieved very little support from the Pokémon company themselves, and is primarily only seen in Ruby and Sapphire and its remakes. He has little major appearance in the Anime or Manga, and his evolution line has never recieved a piece of merchandise in this decade. Spheal itself has no actual connection to Jigglypuff besides their general shape. He's my stupid round little pipe-dream and I love him. HOWEVER! There are a few arguments supporting him. One, the lack of Hoenn representation in Smash is glaring, with only pokéball Pokémon appearing like Kyogre. Every other Generation has a stage or character. Also, there's no ice-type representation in the character roster, which isn't exactly a huge issue, but it's worth noting. I feel like he'd only be considered if Sakurai was desperate for an Echo for every single character, which likely isn't occurring since every single clone wasn't classified as an echo.

Gameplay-wise, there is a single glaring issue that seperates Spheal from Jigglypuff, being Jigglypuff's ability to float and multiple jumps. Spheal does not have this ability by any means in the Pokemon games, however, that hasn't stopped characters having abilities they don't canonically have from being implemented (ie Pit and Dark Pit flying). It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to see Spheal getting an extra jump or two. Or, they could simply change Spheal's weight as an echo difference, along the lines of Lucina not having a tipper. Spheal could be a bit weightier Jigglypuff with a focus on ground-play. All Jigg's specials would work with no major tweaking. Spheal shares Rest and Rollout (though, I feel like they'd use Ice Ball, a rollout clone and Spheal's former signature move), while Pound could easily be changed to a different melee move performing the same, perhaps Body Slam. The Major Difference is Spheal's lack of Sing. Even still, it could use Yawn instead for an easy clone. Or, if they wanted to be a bit more creative, have it use Encore for a slightly different effect. Spheal is more associated with Clapping than Singing, for it's the Clap Pokémon. Encore could lock a character into only using the last special they used, or it could work as a counter.

But yeah, the round boy himself. Thanks.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Richard Horvitz
thats my favorite voice actor! actually was saying the other day i thought red in the new wario ware sounded like him but im not sure if it is.

also side note: super excited for zim getting new stuff! ok back to smash...

Noipoi

Howdy!
thats my favorite voice actor! actually was saying the other day i thought red in the new wario ware sounded like him but im not sure if it is.

also side note: super excited for zim getting new stuff! ok back to smash...
I actually think Red was voiced by Samuel Vincent (Double D from Ed, Edd n Eddy). Though I could be wrong.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I actually think Red was voiced by Samuel Vincent (Double D from Ed, Edd n Eddy). Though I could be wrong.
oh snap it does sound like him now that you mention it. Ashleys such a cool character conceptually, lots of cool stuff you can do with her and red taunt wise and such.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I might be the only one doing this, and I might be a few hours late, but I do want to talk about a topic very important to me.
And that's Spheal.

Arguably one of the least deserving characters of an Echo is Jigglypuff, with Pokémon already having many, many representatives and Jigglypuff being there just because she has the honor of being one of the original twelve- a relic of the nineties. But Spheal would be the perfect choice for a Jigglypuff echo. Gameplay-wise, he fits almost perfectly, with a few minor changes that fall under the Echo category. I'll talk about my Reasoning and the Gameplay mechanics behind it.

Resoning-wise, Spheal has very little holding him up for a spot on the illustrious Smash Roster. Spheal as a pokemon has recieved very little support from the Pokémon company themselves, and is primarily only seen in Ruby and Sapphire and its remakes. He has little major appearance in the Anime or Manga, and his evolution line has never recieved a piece of merchandise in this decade. Spheal itself has no actual connection to Jigglypuff besides their general shape. He's my stupid round little pipe-dream and I love him. HOWEVER! There are a few arguments supporting him. One, the lack of Hoenn representation in Smash is glaring, with only pokéball Pokémon appearing like Kyogre. Every other Generation has a stage or character. Also, there's no ice-type representation in the character roster, which isn't exactly a huge issue, but it's worth noting. I feel like he'd only be considered if Sakurai was desperate for an Echo for every single character, which likely isn't occurring since every single clone wasn't classified as an echo.

Gameplay-wise, there is a single glaring issue that seperates Spheal from Jigglypuff, being Jigglypuff's ability to float and multiple jumps. Spheal does not have this ability by any means in the Pokemon games, however, that hasn't stopped characters having abilities they don't canonically have from being implemented (ie Pit and Dark Pit flying). It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to see Spheal getting an extra jump or two. Or, they could simply change Spheal's weight as an echo difference, along the lines of Lucina not having a tipper. Spheal could be a bit weightier Jigglypuff with a focus on ground-play. All Jigg's specials would work with no major tweaking. Spheal shares Rest and Rollout (though, I feel like they'd use Ice Ball, a rollout clone and Spheal's former signature move), while Pound could easily be changed to a different melee move performing the same, perhaps Body Slam. The Major Difference is Spheal's lack of Sing. Even still, it could use Yawn instead for an easy clone. Or, if they wanted to be a bit more creative, have it use Encore for a slightly different effect. Spheal is more associated with Clapping than Singing, for it's the Clap Pokémon. Encore could lock a character into only using the last special they used, or it could work as a counter.

Nah. Obviously, the Pokémon echo should be Tomoaki Imakuni for Pokémon Trainer.

His Pokémon are Binacle, Slowpoke, and Farfetch'd.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Where is the link to the Japanese stream?

Is it going on right now, I want to see more Ultimate gameplay. And no, no here is expecting a reveal.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
And that's Spheal.

If we were to get a Pokémon Echo I would prefer Blaziken for :ultfalcon:. Blaziken fits Falcon's moveset very well and is pretty popular. The only holdup is separate series.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
And that's Spheal.

I think you left out the part where Jigglypuff has feet and is thereby able to kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom