• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Oooooh, Touhou! Yeah, that makes sense.

That'd be cool. I'd still probably prefer Shantae or Shovel Knight, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Since somebody on the last page reminded me that I was going to ask this, what do people think of Professor Layton's chances this time around?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Topic: What single newcomer would make you 100% satisfied of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?
I would say Ashley, but she actually has a chance, so I'm gonna go with my pipe dream.

If either Phoenix Wright or Joker were revealed for this game, I would never ask for any character ever again.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
She's the poster child of the Touhu franchise, which is massively popular in Japan (it has it's own section at Comiket, a massive Japanese fan event, if that means anything). You might also know it as the bullet-hell genre. Here's an example of one of the games:

Nah dude the /v/ memes right now are (still) Big Maring and Peri in Smash Bros. Reimu could (surprisingly) actually happen. I'd still give her very low chances though.

Or maybe I'm finally beginning to lose it.
I don't know man, Sakurai's been showing Kojima and Araki's lovechild-tier westabooness lately. I mean, just look at :ultlittlemac::ultridley::ultroy:

D

Deleted member

My latest pipe dream character is Hat Kid from Hat in Time. Been playing through it for the first time and it's starting to reach Mario Odyssey levels of amazing for me.

Also she's just so hecking cute.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If either Phoenix Wright or Joker were revealed for this game, I would never ask for any character ever again.
Dude I don't get those types of comments. Like, say they come in but only stay for that ONE game. What will happen then? You can't ask for anybody now, not even the one you asked to be in to stop asking. You went by your word. :upsidedown:

That just means it's Japan's turn.
When was the last time Japan's popularity influenced a character being in the game?
No seriously I don't remember

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Dude I don't get those types of comments. Like, say they come in but only stay for that ONE game. What will happen then? You can't ask for anybody now, not even the one you asked to be in to stop asking. You went by your word. :upsidedown:
Funny you mention that. I originally also said "I would just ask for them to come back every game" in my post, but I cut it out because it made the post feel too wordy.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
My latest pipe dream character is Hat Kid from Hat in Time. Been playing through it for the first time and it's starting to reach Mario Odyssey levels of amazing for me.

Also she's just so hecking cute.
if only if only

Hat Kid might be too niche even if she was on the Switch, but I would never ask for anything again

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Topic: What single newcomer would make you 100% satisfied of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? For me, if one of these characters became playable:

1. Professor Layton
2. Tom Nook (Which is not happening as of this game)
3. Prince Sable
4. Lip

...I would be content with the roster. The former two I personally believe belong in Smash as playable fighters for what they represent within their franchise and their history with Nintendo. The latter two I would love to see in for a potential retro revival. For the Frog the Bell Tolls and Panel de Pon are the only dormant Nintendo franchises I immensely care about returning more than any other, I do not want them to stay Japan-only forever.
Literally any unique Pikmin character, preferably Plasm Wraith, but I'd be perfectly satisfied with Louie too. I think Buzzwole would give me 100% satisfaction as well.

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
Topic: What single newcomer would make you 100% satisfied of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? For me, if one of these characters became playable:

1. Professor Layton
3. Prince Sable
4. Lip

...I would be content with the roster. The former two I personally believe belong in Smash as playable fighters for what they represent within their franchise and their history with Nintendo. The latter two I would love to see in for a potential retro revival. For the Frog the Bell Tolls and Panel de Pon are the only dormant Nintendo franchises I immensely care about returning more than any other, I do not want them to stay Japan-only forever.
Uhh probably Shantae, a big part of this game's "EVERYONE IS HERE" mentality to me is a celebration of video games as a whole, and I'm really hoping for it to tap into the Indie side of video games. I've always seen Shantae as the most logical indie choice so, uh, yeah!

Her being in it to me would make it Ultimate Ultimate if that makes sense skdjfhskjfh

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Meh. Some people want their character that badly. I don't see the problem.

I might not even play the next Smash game so it wouldn't really bug me much if Mimikyu got taken out.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

1. Professor Layton
3. Prince Sable
4. Lip

Geno.

I would quite literally never ask Sakurai for anything ever again. He's the only one I 'need'.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

1. Professor Layton
3. Prince Sable
4. Lip

I got Ridley. I'm Happy. But after him, if K. Rool is Added I'd be content.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

1. Professor Layton
3. Prince Sable
4. Lip

Simple, King K. Rool himself.

I would never ask Sakurai for anything else after that, for I would be satisfied completely.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

1. Professor Layton
3. Prince Sable
4. Lip

Believe it or not, nobody. I think the roster is good as it is.

But if Boshi were to get in somehow, that to me is a bonus

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

When was the last time Japan's popularity influenced a character being in the game?
No seriously I don't remember
Japanese popularity has influenced many characters being in the game, it's just that many of them overlap with Western popularity as well.
Since somebody on the last page reminded me that I was going to ask this, what do people think of Professor Layton's chances this time around?
Okay I guess. I think he stands behind many third party picks in terms of popularity and what he would represent. If Sakurai could accurately convey the puzzle-centric gameplay of his series, therefore making him represent the puzzle genre of video games, then I would give him better chances.

The Jim Jims

Smash Cadet

1. Professor Layton
3. Prince Sable
4. Lip

Geno, Geno, Geno, Geno

D

Deleted member

1. Professor Layton
3. Prince Sable
4. Lip

For this game’s roster, in terms of making it complete, King K. Rool. He’s the last Nintendo newcomer I consider a missing addition.

Though if Bomberman miraculously gets in as DLC, I will never ask for characters again.

JJdude

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3927-0371-5504
Switch FC
5039-5097-8313
If I wish for just one more guest character. For me, by then the mascots from different platforms would be complete. The one and only bandicoot,
Crash!

You know, since he missed his chance in playstation all stars battle royale.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Topic: What single newcomer would make you 100% satisfied of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?
Brian, Waluigi(Yes, I know he's dead in the water), Simon Belmont, Mimikyu, Genesect, Fulgore/Steve?/Master Chief(any of these 3 I would love to get in), Tingle(how'd I forget him the first time around?), Ashley, Toad(not Captain Toad), King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Shadow, Rabbids, Agumon(or a Digimon in general, not super picky)...

Yeah, kind of hard to say. >.>

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Anyways, I've got another session for ya'll.

Listen up, here's the scoop.
on July 26th Nintendo will announce a surprise direct for later the same day.There's been some false information spreading so let's get something straight

> Nintendo will announce their partnership with Funko on July 25th. Completely unrelated to the Direct

> Direct starts with a 3DS section showing off Warioware Gold's DIY section

> Luigi's Mansion 3DS recieved a time attack mode similar to the beta version of the original game

> Switch show starts off with Super Mario Odyssey DLC showing Isle Delfino (Delfino Plaza) and Haunted Kingdom (Moonlit Manor)

> Wario Land for switch was shown off as an early 2019 title

> Reggie comes out with his own pokeball plus and talks about the togetherness of pokemon, leading into more Let's Go details. (Two Gyms and 'Trainer Challenge')

>Megaman 11 trailer with new playable characters shown

> Indie Reel showing off upcoming eshop games for 2018

> Pikmin World retells the story of Pikmin 1 acting as a reboot for the series

> Spyro Reignited comes to switch at an unspecified date

> Fallout 76

> Chibi Robo Plug Into Adventure for switch

> The rest of the direct is for smash. They showed off Smash Run will be making a return along with Smash Tour but no mention of any single player

> Direct ends with a character reveal of Rex and Pyra with the ability to change to Mythra. Character works with a tether mechanic

Overall safe in terms of what it says. A new Chibi-Robo game would be nice, as it means he's not dead like many think he is, and Smash Tour returning would make me happy as I'm the only one who actually likes it.
This is going to be quick, king k rool and Simon Belmont are going to be announced in july’s Nintendo direct.

8 new characters are confirmed and they will be: simon Belmont and king k rool (both are finished)
Decidueye, Elma, heihachi and geno ( are being developed at the moment)
Banjo kazooie and waluigi (are not being developed yet)

Although waluigi was seen as an assist trophy, sakurai is trying to have waluigi as a new character and have a new assist trophy that will do the same things waluigi’s trophy did.

4 new echos fighter are confirmed.
Isabella (villager)
Dark samus (samus)
Dr Luigi (dr Mario)
Shadow (sonic)

Ms pacman and zero will be costumes for mega man and for pacman.

Story mode is confirmed and and 2 new game modes too. One of this game modes will be “king of the tower” and the other game mode is still unknown.

There will be at least 4 dlc characters and 6 dlc echo characters ( the echos fighter dlc is is going to contain 2 echos fighters and 1 stage)
And there will be 2 seasons pass.

Sorry for not revealing dates or dlc characters but they haven’t been confirmed yet.

Simon, a Namco Rep (bias says Lloyd, but Heihachi is okay), and Banjo-Kazooie is the ideal third party combination for this game in my opinion. I find it hard to believe that some characters haven't begun development though, but I have no idea how game development works. Zero as a Megaman costume also makes little sense, but I guess if they use his Megaman X design it could work? At least this one has a kill date.
already put this **** in a joke thread, here it is again

To be revealed for base game:
>Geno
>Rex and Pyra
>Decidueye
>Excitebiker

Echo Fighters:

>Dark Samus
>Shadow
>Ninten

Potential DLC still undecided, but here are some names being thrown around:

>A new ballot
>K. Rool
>Skull Kid
>A rep from the new Fire Emblem
>Banjo & Kazooie
>Octoling

Sam old story, same old song and dance. I find it hard to believe that we won't get at least one other third party rep in this game, as those draw in the most hype.
Considering Microsoft and Nintendo's blossoming relationship of late, it seems that all you need to get your character into Smash you just need a bit of courage and go for the gold.* Sakurai was more than happy to add BANJO-KAZOOIE per the request of Microsoft. Fans will be extremely pleased.

Banjo reveal trailer between July and September.

To the naysayers you'll see I'm 100% right in due time. BANJO-KAZOOIE ARE IN SMASH.

*unless you're Bomberman or Waluigi, it seems

Short, to the point, and has a kill date. The best kind of leak.
> There will be a Direct Mini on Friday, July 27
> It will be about 15- 20 Min
> It will be about everything missing from E3
> No headlines will happen, there will also be no 3DS games announced till September at the September direct.
> It will start right off with a Gameplay trailer for Team Sonic Racing, releasing December 14 2018
> SNES Remix, 2019
> New Super Mario Bros 3, Holiday 2018
> GTA 5, Holiday 2018
> Diablo 3, 2019
> Tomodachi World, holiday 2018
> Switch Land, (Nintendo Land) 2019
> Yoshi game, Yoshi's Craft World releasing March 2019 + LABO support.
> Mario Odyssey DLC, October 2018
> Mario Kart 8 DX DLC, New cups, and characters
> The second wave of dream friends for Kirby: Star Allies releasing July 27
> Zelda Triforce Heroes Switch, holiday 2018
> Donkey Kong Country Switch, made by Retro, 2019
> The direct ends of with Story Mode getting announced and King K Rool Smash trailer.

It has a specific kill date, so we'll know if it's true or not soon. Nintendo Land II would be hype AF though. I loved that game.

TonyMyOnly

Smash Apprentice
I want K. Rool. Ridley is my previous most wanted. I wouldn't mind Hades as well but that's never happening.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

1. Professor Layton
3. Prince Sable
4. Lip

Kamek. He's my second most wanted character and not by a large margin. Marx is no.1 and he would make me incredibly satisfied too, but it would just be wrong if Marx got in before Dee.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

1. Professor Layton
3. Prince Sable
4. Lip

For me, just Elma cause X was an interesting side-story to the main Xenoblade series that I’d love to see continued, and as I continued to play X, I found myself liking Elma more and more.

Plus, I friggin N E E D Hiroyuki Sawano’s music in Smash

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Honestly? K. Rool.
At that point I have no real complaints about the roster and all my others on my wishlist could probably make it in in other ways and I'd be fine.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Anyways, I've got another session for ya'll.

Listen up, here's the scoop.
on July 26th Nintendo will announce a surprise direct for later the same day.There's been some false information spreading so let's get something straight

> Nintendo will announce their partnership with Funko on July 25th. Completely unrelated to the Direct

> Direct starts with a 3DS section showing off Warioware Gold's DIY section

> Luigi's Mansion 3DS recieved a time attack mode similar to the beta version of the original game

> Switch show starts off with Super Mario Odyssey DLC showing Isle Delfino (Delfino Plaza) and Haunted Kingdom (Moonlit Manor)

> Wario Land for switch was shown off as an early 2019 title

> Reggie comes out with his own pokeball plus and talks about the togetherness of pokemon, leading into more Let's Go details. (Two Gyms and 'Trainer Challenge')

>Megaman 11 trailer with new playable characters shown

> Indie Reel showing off upcoming eshop games for 2018

> Pikmin World retells the story of Pikmin 1 acting as a reboot for the series

> Spyro Reignited comes to switch at an unspecified date

> Fallout 76

> Chibi Robo Plug Into Adventure for switch

> The rest of the direct is for smash. They showed off Smash Run will be making a return along with Smash Tour but no mention of any single player

> Direct ends with a character reveal of Rex and Pyra with the ability to change to Mythra. Character works with a tether mechanic

Overall safe in terms of what it says. A new Chibi-Robo game would be nice, as it means he's not dead like many think he is, and Smash Tour returning would make me happy as I'm the only one who actually likes it.
This is going to be quick, king k rool and Simon Belmont are going to be announced in july’s Nintendo direct.

8 new characters are confirmed and they will be: simon Belmont and king k rool (both are finished)
Decidueye, Elma, heihachi and geno ( are being developed at the moment)
Banjo kazooie and waluigi (are not being developed yet)

Although waluigi was seen as an assist trophy, sakurai is trying to have waluigi as a new character and have a new assist trophy that will do the same things waluigi’s trophy did.

4 new echos fighter are confirmed.
Isabella (villager)
Dark samus (samus)
Dr Luigi (dr Mario)
Shadow (sonic)

Ms pacman and zero will be costumes for mega man and for pacman.

Story mode is confirmed and and 2 new game modes too. One of this game modes will be “king of the tower” and the other game mode is still unknown.

There will be at least 4 dlc characters and 6 dlc echo characters ( the echos fighter dlc is is going to contain 2 echos fighters and 1 stage)
And there will be 2 seasons pass.

Sorry for not revealing dates or dlc characters but they haven’t been confirmed yet.

Simon, a Namco Rep (bias says Lloyd, but Heihachi is okay), and Banjo-Kazooie is the ideal third party combination for this game in my opinion. I find it hard to believe that some characters haven't begun development though, but I have no idea how game development works. Zero as a Megaman costume also makes little sense, but I guess if they use his Megaman X design it could work? At least this one has a kill date.
already put this **** in a joke thread, here it is again

To be revealed for base game:
>Geno
>Rex and Pyra
>Decidueye
>Excitebiker

Echo Fighters:

>Dark Samus
>Shadow
>Ninten

Potential DLC still undecided, but here are some names being thrown around:

>A new ballot
>K. Rool
>Skull Kid
>A rep from the new Fire Emblem
>Banjo & Kazooie
>Octoling

Sam old story, same old song and dance. I find it hard to believe that we won't get at least one other third party rep in this game, as those draw in the most hype.
Considering Microsoft and Nintendo's blossoming relationship of late, it seems that all you need to get your character into Smash you just need a bit of courage and go for the gold.* Sakurai was more than happy to add BANJO-KAZOOIE per the request of Microsoft. Fans will be extremely pleased.

Banjo reveal trailer between July and September.

To the naysayers you'll see I'm 100% right in due time. BANJO-KAZOOIE ARE IN SMASH.

*unless you're Bomberman or Waluigi, it seems

Short, to the point, and has a kill date. The best kind of leak.
> There will be a Direct Mini on Friday, July 27
> It will be about 15- 20 Min
> It will be about everything missing from E3
> No headlines will happen, there will also be no 3DS games announced till September at the September direct.
> It will start right off with a Gameplay trailer for Team Sonic Racing, releasing December 14 2018
> SNES Remix, 2019
> New Super Mario Bros 3, Holiday 2018
> GTA 5, Holiday 2018
> Diablo 3, 2019
> Tomodachi World, holiday 2018
> Switch Land, (Nintendo Land) 2019
> Yoshi game, Yoshi's Craft World releasing March 2019 + LABO support.
> Mario Odyssey DLC, October 2018
> Mario Kart 8 DX DLC, New cups, and characters
> The second wave of dream friends for Kirby: Star Allies releasing July 27
> Zelda Triforce Heroes Switch, holiday 2018
> Donkey Kong Country Switch, made by Retro, 2019
> The direct ends of with Story Mode getting announced and King K Rool Smash trailer.

It has a specific kill date, so we'll know if it's true or not soon. Nintendo Land II would be hype AF though. I loved that game.
I really want Leak 1 to be true.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

1. Professor Layton
3. Prince Sable
4. Lip

Shantae, absolutely. I wouldn't go so far as to never ask for anything else, but to me she's top priority.

Reimu is a /v/ meme as far as I'm concerned with Smash characters.
That means NEVER EVER, no offense. :reverse:
Besides, isn't the creator of the series a recluse or something? Kinda makes negotiations tricky if one were to get him to talk.

I really want Leak 1 to be true.
Yeah, especially the Wario Land bit.

Last edited:

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
The Former British Empire of great Britain.

1. Professor Layton
3. Prince Sable
4. Lip

1. Marx/Adeleine/Bandanna Dee (either/or but if only one preferably Marx)
2. Ashley
3. K. Rool
4. Since Kumatora is deconfirmed i'm gonna have to with Kraid on this one.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

1. Professor Layton
3. Prince Sable
4. Lip

Dovahkiin. If we got the Dragonborn, I would never need to play another Smash game ever.

K.Rool is awesome and necessary, but I'd take the Dragonborn over him and Ridley any day of the week. There really aren't too many characters I need in Smash anymore, and Dovahkiin's just so much higher on the list now than anyone else. If he got in, I'd accept anyone else. Heck, I'd even celebrate the characters I'm giving 0% want in the RTC thread.

And just imagining Stages and Music from Skyrim...:awesome:

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Besides, isn't the creator of the series a recluse or something? Kinda makes negotiations tricky if one were to get him to talk.
Not sure if Recluse is the right word. He does mostly keep to himself, but it's not like he actively avoids talks. Touhou characters were in one of the Taiko Drum Master games alongside Kirby. So It's not like it's impossible.

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies

1. Professor Layton
3. Prince Sable
4. Lip

1. Bandana Dee
2. Skull kid
3. Hector/The black knight
4. Micaiah
5. gardevoir
6. Amaterasu

basically anyone in my top six. I'm already like 95% satisfied so it's not gonna really impact my fun if they don't get in, but it'd be nice!

Last edited:

airConditioner

Smash Ace

1. Professor Layton
3. Prince Sable
4. Lip

Isaac. Putting him in would at least keep the series remembered and maybe even revive Golden Sun.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not sure if Recluse is the right word. He does mostly keep to himself, but it's not like he actively avoids talks. Touhou characters were in one of the Taiko Drum Master games alongside Kirby. So It's not like it's impossible.
That's fair enough. Cave Story's creator Daisuke Amaya is similar in that sense (though who he is as a person is still a mystery even compared to ZUN).

On that note, I haven't seen much Quote supporters as of late.

Meta-Kraid

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-0411-8525
I feel that all 7 party members in XC1 are memorable and interesting, although I think Melia is slightly overrated and Riki is slightly underrated
Those are fighting words right there. :p
I completely agree about Riki though.

1. Professor Layton
3. Prince Sable
4. Lip

1. Melia
2. Torterra
That's really it. I think Smash has pretty much caught up with Nintendo as a whole. The only characters who are really lacking at this point are Dixie, Isabelle, Bandana Dee, (Captain) Toad, Skull Kid, and arguably K. Rool (I suppose Skull Kid is arguable too). I certainly want these characters, along with Mimikyu, the Masked Man, Chorus Kids, Elma, Chibi Robo, Ashley, Rex and Pyra, and Geno, but I wouldn't be that sad if they were missing. I want most of them not because I particularly enjoy them as characters but for the sake of their fans. Sakurai honestly has delivered far more than expected, and no matter who gets in from this point, I'll be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom