• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
While we're talking about character wants, What do people think of the Masked Man getting in? Just hypothetically. There's been an uptick of "Leaks" with him in it and I keep wondering if he would even actually be considered. Would he be an echo? Competely unique? I don't give him much of a chance but i'd like to hear some thoughts!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Topic: What single newcomer would make you 100% satisfied of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? For me, if one of these characters became playable:

1. Professor Layton
2. Tom Nook (Which is not happening as of this game)
3. Prince Sable
4. Lip

...I would be content with the roster. The former two I personally believe belong in Smash as playable fighters for what they represent within their franchise and their history with Nintendo. The latter two I would love to see in for a potential retro revival. For the Frog the Bell Tolls and Panel de Pon are the only dormant Nintendo franchises I immensely care about returning more than any other, I do not want them to stay Japan-only forever.
Chrom. Ideally as a fully unique character, which I still firmly believe can be done if Sakurai really wanted to, but obviously at this point I'd settle for an echo.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
While we're talking about character wants, What do people think of the Masked Man getting in? Just hypothetically. There's been an uptick of "Leaks" with him in it and I keep wondering if he would even actually be considered. Would he be an echo? Competely unique? I don't give him much of a chance but i'd like to hear some thoughts!
Is there a Mother 3 remake/project in the works?

If so, yes, he's got a chance. Especially if it's what Retro has been working on for so long.

If no, maybe, but he's got a very low chance.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
My sanctuary where fears and lies melt away. If he's not in Smash then what's left of me.

1. Sora
2. Geno
3. Goku / Jody Summer
4. Elma
5. One of the champions from BoTW
6. Amaterasu

My wish list.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hey guys, not part of the current topic on this thread, but I thought of an idea for an item, and I'd like to share it with you all, if that's okay.

The item is a movie camera. With it, the fighter can, with the control stick, move the camera around in a similar fashion of the Devil Assist Trophy in previous Smash games, or with the A and B button, zoom the stage in and zoom the stage out respectively, kinda like the new Squid Sisters Assist Trophy. One could even use the shield button to flip the stage like Plagia in Spear Pillar in Brawl. It can be used to rearrange the battlefield, make KOs easier or harder to do, or just cause havoc, but the fighter holding it will just stand as they use it until they drop the camera or are hit with enough force to drop it, making the fighter vulnerable the whole time they use it, and they can't really fight, too. The changes last for a limited time.

So, what do you guys think of this idea?

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Topic: What single newcomer would make you 100% satisfied of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?
I finally got Ridley, alongside getting Wolf and Snake back without losing anyone else I liked and got OoT Ganondorf when I thought we were stuck with TP Ganon until a new canon Ganondorf was made, so no matter how the remaining roster goes I won't be disappointed and is a huge stepup from the kick in the balls that Smash 4's newcomer and cut selections were to me. I however do really want Belmont and K. Rool, so if they got in there's no more realistic characters I could ask for at this point and they would be some amazing icing (I would also really like Slime or any Dragon Quest character and Doom Guy, but I find them very unlikely and won't hedge myself on them getting in, and Tyranitar is an impossible dream for me).

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Decidueye is not as likely as people claim it to be. Its only real notable appearance is in Pokken Tournament DX, and that didn't exist until 2017; over a full year after the Smash Ultimate roster was supposedly finalized.

And then you look at Incineroar, who's being pushed a lot more by Game Freak; it played a major role in the 2017 Pokemon movie, and has become a recurring character in thi
e anime's Alola saga.

Incineroar would probably be the equivalent of Street Fighter's Zangief, focusing more on close-ranged combat, but has below average mobility.

As for Lycanroc, I seriously doubt that the Dusk form's concept art ever existed in late 2015. It also looks a lot more like Poke Ball Pokemon material, regardless of which form it takes.

I really don't see how Mimikyu would ever work as a playable character, but it could work as a Poke Ball Pokemon or Smash Run enemy.
*Chris impersonation*
“Why are you so ****ing negative all the time.”
Over the past months of speculation I’ve already know what your thoughts are on the what the Pokémon newcomer is... and I already know your arguments on Lycanroc cuz you think they won’t work... and I already know you probably think Inceneroar is the front runner... AND...

I already your thoughts on this matter. Sorry if I sound rough, but I at this point think we should wait and see what happens until we begin discussing Pokémon again, I think we all know everyone’s thoughts at this point.

Anyways, anything new happen today?

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
But yeah, Fiora is the character I really feel would complete the roster for me, the other characters I want I also feel the same way for, but they’re more bonuses for me, if Fiora got in I quite literally would never ask Sakurai for anything again, she’s the Yang to Shulk’s Yin, and honestly it would be satisfactory.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Hey guys, not part of the current topic on this thread, but I thought of an idea for an item, and I'd like to share it with you all, if that's okay.

The item is a movie camera. With it, the fighter can, with the control stick, move the camera around in a similar fashion of the Devil Assist Trophy in previous Smash games, or with the A and B button, zoom the stage in and zoom the stage out respectively, kinda like the new Squid Sisters Assist Trophy. One could even use the shield button to flip the stage like Plagia in Spear Pillar in Brawl. It can be used to rearrange the battlefield, make KOs easier or harder to do, or just cause havoc, but the fighter holding it will just stand as they use it until they drop the camera or are hit with enough force to drop it, making the fighter vulnerable the whole time they use it, and they can't really fight, too.

It completely invalidates assist trophies and stage hazards like the Squid Sisters and Palkia, so I see no reason for it existing, especially since it could conflict with those as well. What about on moving stages? Scrolling stages?

In concept it works, but in practice I don't think it would play well at all.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
*Chris impersonation*
“Why are you so f****** negative all the time.”
Over the past months of speculation I’ve already know what your thoughts are on the what the Pokémon newcomer is... and I already know your arguments on Lycanroc cuz you think they won’t work... and I already know you probably think Inceneroar is the front runner... AND...

I already your thoughts on this matter. Sorry if I sound rough, but I at this point think we should wait and see what happens until we begin discussing Pokémon again, I think we all know everyone’s thoughts at this point.
It's not like nobody else repeats themselves ad infinitum here.
Half the the time it's people taking the time to notice they don't have anything to talk about so they all collectively point it out.

Almost like you gotta tread carefully to say anything else you either repeat yourself and set someone off, repeat a topic and set someone off, point out the lack of topic and set someone off, support someone that's unlikely and set someone off, support someone likely and set someone off, or are entirely new to the thread (and inadvertently say something to set someone off)

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
So what characters would make me 100% over the top satisfied at their inclusion? (this kinda question invites more unrealistic choices which I always prefer so I'm going with insane wishlist here)

KOS-MOS is definitely the top one. I'll say it, like, a million times, but I want her in so badly.

Tiki from Fire Emblem. Even though Corrin's become my best character, I'll never forgive them for taking the FE dragon spot from my girl Tiki. I would prefer her appearance from FE Awakening personally, but she feels like one of the three really big important FE characters alongside Marth and maybe Anna.

Todd from Pokemon Snap. He's a hilarious choice for a character but Snap might be my favorite Pokemon game ever. He's certainly one of the more doable human characters with his Zero-One and all his tools. Obviously would never happen but would be the most satisfying Pokemon choice for me.

Fiora from Xenoblade. It's a shame she seems relegated to FS material, but she's cool and bears similarities to KOS-MOS (always a boon).

Aiai from Super Monkey Ball. Another goofy choice but I love Monkey Ball to pieces. He's got plenty of kit to work with and easy alternate costumes, and would be such a fun and unique character. Honestly after KOS-MOS probably my most wanted third party.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It completely invalidates assist trophies and stage hazards like the Squid Sisters and Palkia, so I see no reason for it existing, especially since it could conflict with those as well. What about on moving stages? Scrolling stages?

In concept it works, but in practice I don't think it would play well at all.
Well, thanks for your opinion, really. It was just a thought. As for moving stages, I can imagine if it were included, it would work as usual, but the stage would still move, just shifted a bit.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
But yeah, Fiora is the character I really feel would complete the roster for me, the other characters I want I also feel the same way for, but they’re more bonuses for me, if Fiora got in I quite literally would never ask Sakurai for anything again, she’s the Yang to Shulk’s Yin, and honestly it would be satisfactory.
Maybe next Smash :smirk:

Why would Masked Man be an Echo? I know Mech Fiora is a spoiler, but Masked Man is a BIG spoiler if he was an echo of Lucas.

Last edited:

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman

The item is a movie camera. With it, the fighter can, with the control stick, move the camera around in a similar fashion of the Devil Assist Trophy in previous Smash games, or with the A and B button, zoom the stage in and zoom the stage out respectively, kinda like the new Squid Sisters Assist Trophy. One could even use the shield button to flip the stage like Plagia in Spear Pillar in Brawl. It can be used to rearrange the battlefield, make KOs easier or harder to do, or just cause havoc, but the fighter holding it will just stand as they use it until they drop the camera or are hit with enough force to drop it, making the fighter vulnerable the whole time they use it, and they can't really fight, too. The changes last for a limited time.

I think the problem is it's a little no non-straightforward, does too much, and is easily too unbalanced

changing the boundaries of a stage is an enormous advantage and could to some extremely bad experiences, and if you have to stand next to the camera while you do it that runs the risk of killing yourself/the enemy interupting you every time/etc.

HOWEVER (in going with my philosophy of "how do we make this work?" instead of labeling something as a bad idea)

I can see it working IF and ONLY IF it is a three collection item similar to the dragoon or the big laser cannon thing. If the item has massive rewards it should just take a little more effort to get. The idea of changing a match so the boundaries stick to a tighter section of the stage sounds fun if done right

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
Maybe next Smash :smirk:

Why would Masked Man be an Echo? I know Mech Fiora is a spoiler, but Masked Man is a BIG spoiler if he was an echo of Lucas.
wasn't the major plot points of mother three spoiled in his brawl trophy? plus snakes codec call spoils certain deaths. I don't think the devs care about mother 3 spoilers. :p

Last edited:

Wambo

Smash Ace
I would be 100% satisfied with Smash Ultimate if K.Rool and Geno were both in. Both are incredibly huge parts of my childhood and their inclusion would literally make me tear up.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Someone mentioned an item and I decided I want to sahre my conspiracy theory.

There's a new healing field item that is just generic. It reminds me a lot of the healing drink from ARMS which has literally the same effect in it's game. Coincidence?

But why pass it off as a generic item? Well they did it with the boxxing ring before Little Mac's reveal, didn't have to reveal the stage but they chose to. Could be the same with this item and the final will look like the healing drink from ARMS after a character from the series is announced.

Yea it's very unlikely but it was literally the first thing I thought of when I saw the item. I'm also desperate for a chance for ARMS representation.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Uh. Yeah. You're right. It is... Not trying to be rude but what's your point?
His point was that Mario & Sonic Guy was being biased by using a 2017 appearance as a boon for Incineroar, but writing off a 2017 appearance for Decidueye as if it wasn't a big deal or didn't matter.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
She's in Shulk's final smash. If Xenoblade gets a new rep it should have a character from a different game.

His point was that Mario & Sonic Guy was being biased by using a 2017 appearance as a boon for Incineroar, but writing off a 2017 appearance for Decidueye as if it wasn't a big deal or didn't matter.
Neither Decidueye or Incineroar are getting in. It'll be Mimikyu or Lycanroc.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Topic: What single newcomer would make you 100% satisfied of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?
To be honest, even if say what we have on the site so far is all we got for the base game I would already be pretty satisfied since Sonic's back and everyone I liked to play as in Smash 4 there as well. Really no matter who's added it's simply going to be icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned. There may be a few particular characters I'm willing to put some support for. But this game is already a large package as is. To say I won't already be satisfied with how many characters there will be would feel greedy to me.

That said I suppose this question is also kind of the same as "Who's your #1 most wanted that'd make the game even more special for you and raise that 100% satisfaction somehow even higher" and that's still Tails right now. The only character I'd be willing to usurp Sonic as my most used is his faithful sidekick. Don't find him likely, especially for the base game (And if Shadow's an echo, I don't see Sonic getting 3 characters). But if Sonic is still alone for the base game, I'll be crossing my fingers throughout the DLC period.

The one major thing that needs to be changed in Smash Ultimate is hitstun because otherwise many characters will not be able to follow-up on hits as it stands. You had characters getting punished because they hit the opponent, or nearly all characters not having throw combos at any percent. I'm fine with a neutral heavy smash; but I know many people (not just competitors) like for their characters being able to have some combo game. As it stands; it will be incredibly hard to find (if not impossible) any good or sick combos in Ultimate just because your opponents is already able to act out of the basic combos that were in Smash 4. Outclassing and winning interactions are important, BUT it becomes exhausting having to constantly do that in order to damage. There needs to be more reward on hit so the interactions are there but not overwhelming constant.

Ridley for example was able to hit sheik out of her typical forward throw combo at low percents. Ridley of all people who is massive. The knock back is fine but hitstun needs to be adjusted for it. Sol (Little Mac main) main concern is the histun as it affected his character.
I do agree that hitstum needs to be upped a notch, but as it stands I feel like this game will have a few guaranteed combos and emphasize more on follow ups. With the option to do anything out of a dash, faster ground speed and universal jump squat lag reduced I feel like we may need to also just react faster. Some combos may not be guaranteed but the opponent won’t be able to react to them or get their air dodge baited.

There are some really good videos of otakuni playing at Japan expo, a particular one where he got a great link combo leading into remote bomb into fair, and another when he chained two SH Bairs.

I think the final product is going to be great. And Inkling already has some nasty follow ups.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Besides my girl Ashley, i'd really like to see Rayman.
I was so excited when the infamous Rayman leak occurred, fantasizing about what he would play like. And then I found out it was fake.
Well not this time! My armless buddy will get in for real!

I hope.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Topic: What single newcomer would make you 100% satisfied of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? For me, if one of these characters became playable:

1. Professor Layton
3. Prince Sable
4. Lip

...I would be content with the roster. The former two I personally believe belong in Smash as playable fighters for what they represent within their franchise and their history with Nintendo. The latter two I would love to see in for a potential retro revival. For the Frog the Bell Tolls and Panel de Pon are the only dormant Nintendo franchises I immensely care about returning more than any other, I do not want them to stay Japan-only forever.
Oh, I'm already satisfied.

Though, if say... Phoenix Wright were to get in, I believe that I'd be pushed over the boundaries of satisfied and into a whole new world of happiness.

Darkraid

Smash Champion

1. Professor Layton
3. Prince Sable
4. Lip

It would be Ridley for me.

Now its Crocodile, Doll, Lawyer and 0

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman

1. Professor Layton
3. Prince Sable
4. Lip

Tiki and Ashley

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Gotcha. Didn't read that much into it.

I honestly think either could make it in but I don't think either of them are guaranteed. Or any Pokemon for that matter. It seems to be the general consensus that a new Pokemon HAS to be added in each game. It's a decent possibility there won't be a new Pokemon this time around.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think the problem is it's a little no non-straightforward, does too much, and is easily too unbalanced

changing the boundaries of a stage is an enormous advantage and could to some extremely bad experiences, and if you have to stand next to the camera while you do it that runs the risk of killing yourself/the enemy interupting you every time/etc.

HOWEVER (in going with my philosophy of "how do we make this work?" instead of labeling something as a bad idea)

I can see it working IF and ONLY IF it is a three collection item similar to the dragoon or the big laser cannon thing. If the item has massive rewards it should just take a little more effort to get. The idea of changing a match so the boundaries stick to a tighter section of the stage sounds fun if done right
Good idea, actually. Maybe it would be better if the item in question functioned like that, wouldn't it?

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
She's in Shulk's final smash. If Xenoblade gets a new rep it should have a character from a different game.
I was just saying in general why I want the character. Personally I find her more important to the series than the other contenders, but that’s just my opinion.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Neither Decidueye or Incineroar are getting in. It'll be Mimikyu or Lycanroc.
Honestly I don't think Lycanroc has a shot at all. The roster was decided long before Dusk Lycanroc, the only reason he's seen as having a shot, became a thing. Add onto that that Lycanroc has the least interesting and innovative concept art out of itself, Decidueye, Incineroar, and Mimikyu, and I can't see any reason Sakurai would have gone for Lycanroc over the other candidates.

Personally I think it's between Decidueye, Incineroar, and Mimikyu, each with their own draws and setbacks when it comes to making it in.

osby

Smash Obsessed

1. Professor Layton
3. Prince Sable
4. Lip

Dixie Kong is the only fighter who feels "missing" from the roster imo.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
>This Pokemon's getting in!
>No, THIS Pokemon's getting in you dumb dumb!!

Please refer to:

Debating what Pokemon will be in Smash is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. That is, the needle you want out of over 700 other needles in the haystack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom