• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
When it comes to a newcomer that would really make me love this game 100%, it would have to be Mario Taking a Piss (Mario Echo). Really surprised we haven't seen this iconic, classic depiction of the character show up yet.

In seriousness, I'm literally paying $60 to play as Ridley so they can add whoever they want, I don't care.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I see people are talking about their wishlist characters, I'll throw mine out there:
Banjo-Kazooie
Shantae
Ashley
Feraligatr
Sylveon
Roll Caskett (Megaman Legends)
Amy Rose
Gunman Clive
and here's a crazy one that's totally out there, Glover.

Edit: I forgot Celica.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Why fight over an Alola Pokémon....when we could just have Gengar? :V
Golden, you've only been posting about Gengar. On behalf of everyone here, please seek help. We fear you may be possessed by a ghost.

D

Deleted member

Golden, you've only been posting about Gengar. On behalf of everyone here, please seek help. We fear you may be possessed by a ghost.
Or perhaps, someone cast a hex...?
PYqueJL.jpg

(But seriously, better than me droning on about Incineroar all the time, right? At least Gengar is a fresh subject :V)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Or perhaps, someone cast a hex...?
View attachment 152988

(But seriously, better than me droning on about Incineroar all the time, right? At least Gengar is a fresh subject :V)
Despite the fact that I would actually like Decidueye mostly, the idea of Incineroar has grown on me.

It’s mainly because I envisioned him grabbing someone and German Suplexing them as a dash attack, and laughed out loud.

I want to make a moveset, because I think he’d probably be pretty fun.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As long as we're still talking about wish lists, including the never-gonna-happen variety, my full, unrestricted wish list would be:

Super Mario:
Captain Toad
Waluigi

The Legend of Zelda:
Daruk

Pokémon:
Decidueye
Any of the following
image.png

Fire Emblem:
The following, minus Marth and Lucina since they're already in, but especially Chrom and Celica
image.png

Other Nintendo Characters:
Starfy
Henry Fleming
Muddy Mole

Third Party:
Frogger
Simon Belmont

So pretty much just my favorite characters that aren't playable yet lol.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Don't know if this showed up in the thread already, but I thought it was kind of interesting.

https://twitter.com/NWPlayer123/status/1017608037282926592

Basically, Smash has been in development for so long that it was actually the second Switch game in development!

I went through and pulled some of the serials for the notable games, and here are my thoughts (we're all concerned about game development times, so this might be interesting).

BOTW: AAA
SmashU: AAB
Odyssey: AAC

There are no more AA games, so moving to AB. This has MK8D (ABP), ARMS (ABQ), Splatoon 2 (AB6) and 1-2-Switch (ACC). There is a massive gap, going to C, which has Mario + Rabbids (C2G). Then we have D, which has lots: Xenoblade 2 (DEN), Pokemon Lets Go (DW2/DW3), Fire Emblem Warriors (DXH), Mario Party (DFJ) and, surprisingly, Labo (DFU/DFV). E has Snipperclips (EXY). DKC is in F (FWT). Kirby is in H (H26). And Captain Toad sits in J (JH9).

The 'A' games all have one commonality, aside from Smash: being first-party totally developed by Nintendo EAD, which suggests they were planned as early Switch titles from the beginning of the console's conceptualization (especially for ARMS and 1-2 Switch which are designed to use the console's mechanics). Mario + Rabbids is really surprising, but that was talked about in leaks for forever before launch so it makes sense. We know Xenoblade 2 started development in 2014, so I'm assuming that being developed by an external studio (Monolith vs Nintendo EAD) is why it wasn't listed earlier, as it cooked for almost as long as BOTW! PLG couldn't have been in development any earlier than 2016 as the mobile game launched in 2016, so the commonality between the 'D' games has to be external developers (Monolith, Koei and ND Cube; I have no idea how Labo fits into this).

Knowing this now, from a development angle, any of the EAD-developed games could stand a decent chance of representation in the game, even ARMS which a lot of people are on the fence with (ARMS was actually the main reason for making this post). If 1-2-Switch, a game that literally only makes sense with the Switch being totally finalized, was developed after ARMS started its own development, ARMS should have been in development longer than most of us thought.

Troykv

Smash Master
Topic: What single newcomer would make you 100% satisfied of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? For me, if one of these characters became playable:

1. Professor Layton
2. Tom Nook (Which is not happening as of this game)
3. Prince Sable
4. Lip

...I would be content with the roster. The former two I personally believe belong in Smash as playable fighters for what they represent within their franchise and their history with Nintendo. The latter two I would love to see in for a potential retro revival. For the Frog the Bell Tolls and Panel de Pon are the only dormant Nintendo franchises I immensely care about returning more than any other, I do not want them to stay Japan-only forever.
I would completely content for the rest of the existence of Smash if

1.- Micaiah is playable in Smash Ultimate :love:

But Bandana Dee (and other characters a lot harder to make them appear) are nice consolation prices.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I personally vom in my mouth a bit when people suggest a game get a 2nd newcomer over a different game getting their first rep. The fun part of a crossover game is the crossover part. I'd take a character from an unrepped franchise I don't know over another character in a franchise I like any day, and if it can't be an unrepped franchise then an unrepped game is the closest best thing.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Topic: What single newcomer would make you 100% satisfied of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?
Geno. I mean, as of now, I love the roster. Sonic the Hedgehog? Check. Pokemon Trainer? Check. And so many others. But, Geno would have me 100% satisfied. He's my most wanted. If he can make it in, it seriously will feel like anyone, with enough fan support, could make it.

Besides Geno, though, I'd love to see King K. Rool make it. He's been absent for way too long, but he is one of the best Nintendo baddies. Really hope all of his fans have caught Nintendo's attention so that he can appear in the DK series again as well.

Also, now I am super intrigued by a Team Rocket character...

As long as we're still talking about wish lists, including the never-gonna-happen variety, my full, unrestricted wish list would be:

Pokémon:
Marowak
Dude, Marowak would be awesome. Alolan as an Echo? Let's go! Marowak is one of my favorite Pokemon...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Round 5 go!

Backlog:

Still looking for a Simon render if anyone has a good one.

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies

Pokémon:
Decidueye
Any of the following
View attachment 152991

I have found them. The only other person on the planet that likes Castform. My number 1 favourite pokemon.

:') I am not alone anymore!

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I have found them. The only other person on the planet that likes Castform. My number 1 favourite pokemon.

:') I am not alone anymore!
My favorite Pokémon tend to shuffle around a bit, but Castform is in my top five consistently, base-seventy-across-the-board stats be damned.

That being said I'd be ecstatic if it became a Poké Ball Pokémon that changes the weather to either sunny (everyone deals more damage), rainy (lower traction), or hail (chip damage ahoy) before blasting the foe with Weather Ball.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Round 5 go!

Backlog:

TFW no Black Shadow

Uh, depends on what you want for Simon. I could make one if there's no conflicting background.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
You know, with all the arguing we've done over which of the Alolan Elite Four will get in, I'm starting to wonder if we're instead going to get a darkhorse candidate that throws all of us for a loop.

Topic: What single newcomer would make you 100% satisfied of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? For me, if one of these characters became playable:

1. Professor Layton
2. Tom Nook (Which is not happening as of this game)
3. Prince Sable
4. Lip

...I would be content with the roster. The former two I personally believe belong in Smash as playable fighters for what they represent within their franchise and their history with Nintendo. The latter two I would love to see in for a potential retro revival. For the Frog the Bell Tolls and Panel de Pon are the only dormant Nintendo franchises I immensely care about returning more than any other, I do not want them to stay Japan-only forever.
I already got Ridley so I'm pretty satisfied as is, but getting King K. Rool, Dillon, Elma, and/or Monster Hunter would be like getting a nice dessert on top of a delicious meal.

Last edited:

Starbound

You know, with all the arguing we've done over which of the Alolan Elite Four will get in, I'm starting to wonder if we're instead going to get a darkhorse candidate that throws all of us for a loop.
Can we get their music as a consolation prize?

My vote would always be for Kahili since she's kinda cute ;)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What if we don't get a dark horse, but a draft horse?

Mudsdale tramples the competition!

:p

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

No thanks.
The R34 is weird enough with Daisy x Ridley, we don't need a horse to be thrown in there.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
She's in Shulk's final smash. If Xenoblade gets a new rep it should have a character from a different game.

Neither Decidueye or Incineroar are getting in. It'll be Mimikyu or Lycanroc.
Where is your source for that?

Super Mario:
Captain Toad
Waluigi

The Legend of Zelda:
Daruk

Pokémon:
Decidueye
Any of the following
View attachment 152991

Fire Emblem:
The following, minus Marth and Lucina since they're already in, but especially Chrom and Celica
View attachment 152992

Other Nintendo Characters:
Starfy
Henry Fleming
Muddy Mole

Third Party:
Frogger
Simon Belmont

I may look like a huge hypocrite here but how would Celica be unique in your view? Every spell she has Robin has and so the Thunder Sword. If they were to make her a lazy clone they could make a excuse that she can use Nosferatu because nuns in Gaiden know how to.

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
My favorite Pokémon tend to shuffle around a bit, but Castform is in my top five consistently, base-seventy-across-the-board stats be damned.

That being said I'd be ecstatic if it became a Poké Ball Pokémon that changes the weather to either sunny (everyone deals more damage), rainy (lower traction), or hail (chip damage ahoy) before blasting the foe with Weather Ball.
Yeah my favourites tend to shuffle around a bit too. But my top 3 are consistently Castform, Bronzong and Cryogonal in that order. After that it's a battle between Altaria, Spiritomb, Gardevoir, Lucario, Golurk, Drifblim, Jellicent, and Sylveon for the rest of the top 10. Those ones change every day :)

I would adore that as a pokeball effect! I think that would be very unique! Maybe it should stick to only one effect per summon and mix it with weather ball. Keeps the castforms you summon fresh. I think I once came up with a Castform fighting moveset once for fun too. :)

Starbound

Well there isn't a Dark-type horse at all, so Mudsdale is about the best we can get.

Good lord, I can't imagine this one-ton horse crushing the nickle-sized Olimar with its foot. Deader than dead.

D

Deleted member

Ask and ye shall receive.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I may look like a huge hypocrite here but how would Celica be unique in your view? Every spell she has Robin has and so the Thunder Sword. If they were to make her a lazy clone they could make a excuse that she can use Nosferatu because nuns in Gaiden know how to.
Here's a moveset I made, detailing how I think Celica could make an awesome Smash character.
Normal Attacks

Jab: Using the Beloved Zofia, Celica performs a three hit combo attack. The first strike comes downward from overhead, the second comes from the side in a sweeping motion, and the third has Celica twirling a bit, swinging the blade from behind in an upward motion. This is based on her in-dungeon combo from Shadows of Valentia. Specifically, it comes directly from her second, third, and fourth strike.

Dash Attack: The small wisp of fire following Celica creates a wall of flames in front of her as she charges forward. Unlike her other magical attacks, no recoil is done here. This is changed, however, if Celica charges her Fire special. If it is charged, this move makes Celica take minor recoil damage, but also makes the move hit much harder. This is taken directly from her dash attack in Shadows of Valentia.

Up Tilt: Celica points the Beloved Zofia skyward as the glowing flame beside her becomes three fire balls, which twirl around the tip of her sword. A multi-hit move.

Side Tilt: Celica thrusts the Beloved Zofia forward, moving slightly in the direction she's facing while doing so. This move comes from the first and fifth strike of her in-dungeon combo in Shadows of Valentia.

Down Tilt: Celica, while crouched, moves her hand outward, launching a small, thunderous spark toward the ground. Due to the stun effect, this move can combo into itself twice before knockback forces foes away.

Smash Attacks:

Up Smash: Celica, using the Beloved Zofia like a sort of baton, casts Excalibur above her, creating a slow-rising razor wind. It travels higher up and does more damage the longer it is charged. The move has a trapping effect due to it being a rapid multi-hit move.

Side Smash: Celica leaps up and smashes the Beloved Zofia downward onto opponents. This is based on her critical hit and finishing blow animation in both Gaiden and Shadows of Valentia. However, this move does far less knockback than the rest of her smash attacks, due to not being magically backed.

Down Smash: Celica performs her casting animation and casts Thunder, hitting both sides of the ground beside her with bolts of lightning.

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral Air: Celica's fire ball splits into a small stream of fire. Celica moves the Beloved Zofia in a circular motion and the stream of flames circles around her twice, clockwise.

Forward Air: Celica, using a variation of Seraphim, quickly grows angelic wings and uses them to slam foes both forward and downward. This move is based on one of Celica's attacks in Fire Emblem Warriors.

Back Air: Celica quickly makes a backhanded strike with the Beloved Zofia. Here, the tip of the blade is blessed with the Thunder spell, creating a small orb of electricity at the end. Hitting with the spark does much more damage.

Up Air: Celica uses another variant of Excalibur, sending a small gust of wind upward. Knockback-wise and potency-wise, it is somewhere between Mega Man's and Mr. Game and Watch's wind-based up airs.

Down Air: Celica points her arms downward, spreading her fireball into a stream of fire beneath her in a parabolic arc.

Grab, Pummel, and Throws:

Grab and Pummel: Celica has a fairly standard grab, and pummels by imbuing her hands with fire to burn the opponent. The pummel does not, however, cause recoil damage, despite being magic-based. This holds true for Celica's throws as well.

Forward Throw: Celica releases the foe as three columns of fire erupt in front of her, beneath the foe, carrying them away before causing severe knockback.

Back Throw: Celica tosses the foe back and releases a blast of light magic from her hands, sending them flying.

Up Throw: Celica waves her arms overhead after bringing her foe upward, shocking them with electricity before launching them.

Down Throw: Pointing her Beloved Zofia to the ground, three strikes of compressed wind energy pummel the foe before bouncing them off the ground of the stage.

Special Attacks:

Neutral Special: Fire (Ragnarok) - Celica charges up her fire ball that shoots forward before exploding. At full charge, this becomes Ragnarok, which is incredibly powerful, doing roughly 35% damage and quite a bit of knock back, but at the expense of Celica taking hefty recoil damage. Chargeable and storable. While it is stored, however, any attack using Celica's fire ball will grow in power, but the recoil damage of the move will be more severe. This does not effect her pummel or forward throw, however.

Side Special: Seraphim - Celica clasps her hands together as she is bathed in a flash of white light. A giant ball of white light surrounds Celica when the button is released, and it slowly moves forward. If the opponent is overlapping Celica's light, they will be trapped similarly to Mewtwo's neutral air, before being carried forward with the ball of light and being erupted from it when it reaches its full distance. A "get off me" move befitting Celica's connection to Mila and having one of her weaknesses protected.

Up Special: Excalibur - Celica summons a gust of razor wind around her as she ascends. Nearby foes get cut by the wind, though Celica also takes minor damage from this move (less than five percent).

Down Special: Mila's Turnwheel - Celica clasps her hands and enters a praying stance. A counter-styled move, if Celica activates this move at the right moment of impact with the foe, the foe is pushed away, doing no damage. However, Celica is healed by ten percent, making it a very risky way of restoring health. Note, though, that the move has far stricter timing than other Counter-like moves, and excessive usage of the move will lower the amount of health it heals.

Final Smash: Ragnarok Ω - If foes are in range of the attack's start up, a cutscene plays, based on Celica's in-game cutscene when activating this move. Visually, they're essentially the same. The move then ends. Unlike in Shadows of Valentia, this move does not cause recoil damage to Celica, due to being her Final Smash.

Overview:

Celica mainly relies on her spells, with a few moves utilizing the Beloved Zofia, like her jab. The Beloved Zofia acts more like a conduit for her spells here than an actual weapon for most of her moveset, where she makes graceful guiding motions with it to focus her spells, not unlike a baton, or how Toon Link uses the Wind Waker. For the few attacks where she uses the Beloved Zofia for offense, she takes a more rapier-like style.

Like in Shadows of Valentia's dungeon segments, Celica is followed by a small wisp of fire. This is mostly cosmetic and serves as a neat way for her to animate some of her attacks, but also benefits from her neutral special, wherein she can increase its size the more she charges her Fire spell. This increases the size of some of her attacks' hit boxes at the expense of more recoil damage, and after firing off her charged Fire or Ragnarok, the wisp fizzles back to its original size.

In reference to Gaiden and Shadows of Valentia's unique magic system, Celica takes a variant of Pichu's self damage gimmick, but better executed. Celica does more self damage the more potent her spells are, but can reliably kill using them. Her issue stems from her being the epitome of a glass cannon, as she can't take hits well at all, especially when using her higher recoil spells. In addition to reflecting her game of origin's mechanics, her moveset also reflects her personality and character, with her gracefulness coming through in her use of the Beloved Zofia and her penchant for self-sacrifice coming through in her powerful spells' recoil.

Entrance Animation:
Celica slowly walks in and creates her wisp of fire from her hand, as in her dungeon entrance animation from Shadows of Valentia.

Taunts:
Up Taunt - Celica holds her right arm up as the wisp of fire wraps around it, traveling upward until it bursts into flames above her hand, all while saying "I'm not about to stop here!"
Side Taunt - Celica holds a hand over her heart and says "Guide me, Mila."
Down Taunt - Twirls and puts a hand on her hip, saying "All thanks to the Mother." This is taken directly from her Shadows of Valentia victory animation

KMDP

Smash Legend
Topic: What single newcomer would make you 100% satisfied of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?
Isaac. He's pretty much the last hold-out for me.

Now, if I got all of Tails, Shadow, Tifa, Sephiroth, Agumon and Nightmare with Isaac; I think I I'd reach the point of "I don't care who else you add, I'm 100% happy." XD

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars

Celica's sword play is less magical floating sword and more lordly (though I've only played about 10 hours in SoV so far). Additionally, Robin as a tactician can only use two spells Celica learns, Fire and Thunder, while she has spells like Seraphim, Excalibur, etc.

also not necessarily important but Celica does have a canon dash attack from the dungeon parts of SoV which is cool.

(this will be shown up by Opossum's full moveset, oops)

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
I think any Quadrupedal creature would be an interesting smash fighter if it could be made to work.

Arceus for smash is what i'm saying.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
If I could have any Pokemon in Smash that couldn't possibly be considered an "obvious choice", I'd pick Luxray. No question.

It's an electric lion. Come on, you can't tell me that wouldn't be cool in Smash. :p

Round 5 go!

Backlog:

I don't know if you're open to requests, but if you are, is there any possibility you could do one of these for Tetra, N30N?

KMDP

Smash Legend
Update on my "Requested newcomers" project.

The final count of characters is 350. There are 9 characters still left without having their supporters counted: Rayman, Hero (DQ1), Sora, 2B, Leon S. Kennedy, Fulgore, Jibanyan, Dragonborn and Sans.
Bandana Dee still needs his supporters counted properly as well, since he's at 61 Supporters right now, leaving him in 17th Place, this is probably hugely inaccurate (I based it on a different metric, since BDW's thread is pretty big and there were 60 likes on the first post).

The top twenty most supported, as the list stands right now is
  1. K. Rool
  2. Isaac
  3. Dixie
  4. (Captain) Toad
  5. Ashley
  6. Lip (Panel de Pon)
  7. Rex & Pyra
  8. Decidueye
  9. Crash Bandicoot
  10. Simon Belmont
  11. Bomberman
  12. Sylux
  13. Waluigi (yes, even though his thread has been closed for a while now)
  14. Andy (Advance Wars)
  15. Medusa
  16. Takamaru
  17. Bandana Dee
  18. Shovel Knight
  19. Geno
  20. Elma

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Clearly Tapu Koko will be playable to shatter everyone in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom