• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
You'd be happy if she got in, that's enough for a supporter in my eyes. You don't need to make a blood pact or shave your hair if she doesn't get in or anything. :psycho:
Good lord, me having no hair would look so wrong.:4gaw:

KMDP

Smash Legend
(Small note: I had a really decent main point I wanted to get to when I started this post but my train of thought fell off the rails and I got lost. Towards the second half it may sound like unintelligible rambling.....so.....hopefully tired-me still makes some sense. Also, I'm sure there are more theories on what Sakurai actually meant but I'm half-asleep rn and can't think of any, So, if you think of one feel free to message me. I like thinking about irrelevant bs as you can see. Also, I could swear I missed a newcomer from 4 but after looking through 3 times I couldn't find them so....call me out if you know who I'm missing.)
I know the feeling. :laugh: When I tried to talk about how much the roster increased each game, I started to ramble too.
Seems like talking about Smash's roster gains just causes that in people.
I wouldn't say upset, but I'll surely miss it.
Hope there's an option to choose languages, like in FighterZ. Doubt they'll implement it for just two characters but eh, would be nice.
A feature in the Options to individually change Characters' languages would be lovely.

Speaking of... what if, this time, we could pick which Announcer voice we use in the options?
Don't like Xander Mobus? Pick Jeff Manning, Dean Harrington or Pat Cashman instead.

It would certainly make the game more "Ultimate" for everyone.

I'm not saying I don't like Xander Mobus.

D

Deleted member

Newcomers.jpg

Top row Echo Fighters, bottom row totally new characters.

Honestly, it's the bottom row I'm less sure about aside from K.Rool. Still unsure about that leak, and still holding out for Banjo.

Top row I'm 100% confident about though.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
You know what I’ve always wanted since Nelee.

This:

It would be beyond awesome.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You know what I’ve always wanted since Nelee.

This:

It would be beyond awesome.
Might sound weird, but I actually don't want everyone to have their own unique victory theme. Having most of the characters from a single franchise share victory themes makes you appreciate the few different ones even more.

Plus, the victory themes for Mario and Kirby characters are pretty iconic. It'll be hard to beat a catchy tune like that.

D

Deleted member

A thought I had about :ultpokemontrainer:.

It's been confirmed that the stamina mechanic has been removed, which is good.

But what about the type effectiveness mechanic?

Do we have informations if it has been removed as well or does Ivysaur still get more damages from fire attacks and such?

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Might sound weird, but I actually don't want everyone to have their own unique victory theme. Having most of the characters from a single franchise share victory themes makes you appreciate the few different ones even more.

Plus, the victory themes for Mario and Kirby characters are pretty iconic. It'll be hard to beat a catchy tune like that.
Yeah. Just something I’ve always wanted but I know we won’t get it. This kind video kind of does the idea justice, IMP. Though I question when luigi doesn’t have a LM inspired victory theme.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
A thought I had about :ultpokemontrainer:.

It's been confirmed that the stamina mechanic has been removed, which is good.

But what about the type effectiveness mechanic?

Do we have informations if it has been removed as well or does Ivysaur still get more damages from fire attacks and such?
I'm pretty sure the type mechanic is gone.

If it isn't, then I want to know what the Smash team is smoking.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
*AUX CALL PUSH SELECT*

Snake: Hey Otacon, it's Donkey Kong, he sure looks ready to fight.

Otacon: Watch out, Snake! Apparently DK's bigger, faster, and stronger too!

Snake: I mean he is somewhat bigger, I'll give him that... Anything else new on him?

Otacon: Not too much, but I've heard that he also has a coconut gun, I'm surprised he doesn't use it here.

Snake: Coconuts? That's gotta hurt, getting hit in the face with something that big repeatedly...

Otacon: Not only that, but he's also the leader of a group called the DK Crew, there's 5 of them!

Snake: 5 of them? Huh, they must do a lot of monkeying around together...

Otacon: *groan*...

Snake: ...fine. Less puns, more fighting.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
View attachment 149961

Honestly, it's the bottom row I'm less sure about aside from K.Rool. Still unsure about that leak, and still holding out for Banjo.

no Rex and Pyra, Elma, Decidueye, Springman, Captain Toad, Geno, Waluigi, Shovel Knight, too many 3rd parties and none of my favorite characters. Therefore, this roster is ridiculous, unrealistic, and unlogical because it doesn’t fit my biased view of what the roster may look like.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
*AUX CALL PUSH SELECT*

Snake: Hey Otacon, it's Donkey Kong, he sure looks ready to fight.

Otacon: Watch out, Snake! Apparently DK's bigger, faster, and stronger too!

Snake: I mean he is somewhat bigger, I'll give him that... Anything else new on him?

Otacon: Not too much, but I've heard that he also has a coconut gun, I'm surprised he doesn't use it here.

Snake: Coconuts? That's gotta hurt, getting hit in the face with something that big repeatedly...

Otacon: Not only that, but he's also the leader of a group called the DK Crew, there's 5 of them!

Snake: 5 of them? Huh, they must do a lot of monkeying around together...

Otacon: *groan*...

Snake: ...fine. Less puns, more fighting.
Ha, I look forward to these everyday! Can't wait to see what you do with Mewtwo.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Here are 2 codecs, I did.

-AUX Call, Frequency 141.12-

:ultsnake:: Otacon, there's this woman dressed like someone from the Greek era with long green hair...
:ultpalutena:: That's me you're fighting, silly.
:ultsnake:: What!? Who is this!? How did you get into this channel!?
:ultpalutena:: I'm a goddess, Snake. What did you expect?
:ultsnake:: I'd expect a little privacy...
:ultpalutena:: Well, knowing that I've gotten into your channel, know that you unfortunately won't be getting any outside advice.
:ultsnake:: Since you're right in front of me, is there a reason why you performed this little stunt?
:ultpalutena:: I simply wanted to play with you for a bit. You don't know me at all, do you Snake?
:ultsnake:: Why do you think I was calling for he-!? *sighs in frustration*

-CODEC Ends-

-AUX Call, Frequency 140.85-

:ultsnake:: I'm getting really bad flashbacks with this one...
:ultroy:: That's Mewtwo, Snake. He's one of the strongest Pokemon in all of existence. A Psychic type, he is well adept at using telekinetic attacks and powerful projectiles to keep you at bay.
:ultsnake:: *sighs*.....do I need to stick the controller to another port?
:ultroy:: Not ideally but it does gain you control of him while you can't move at all. Curiously, Mewtwo was genetically engineered after the worlds strongest Pokemon. Sound familiar, Snake?
:ultsnake:: Everything about this thing is a living nightmare...

-CODEC Ends-

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

I'd actually like them to keep the same melody, but be different by character. Kinda like how Bowser and Meta Knight have rock-y remixes. It sounds weird to have Ganondorf be as heroic as Link, but it also sounds weird for Rosie to have something completely different.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 149961

what about chrom, isnt his ike palet swap gone? and we havent seen robins final smash? chrom can totaly happen as ike echo

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Ultimate Prediction Roster.png

Here's my prediction roster for ultimate, i have a theory that about 5 newcomers won't be revealed until after the games release (Chorus Kids, Ayumi Tachibana, Daitoryo, Geno, and Shadow).

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 149964
Here's my prediction roster for ultimate, i have a theory that about 5 newcomers won't be revealed until after the games release (Chorus Kids, Ayumi Tachibana, Daitoryo, Geno, and Shadow).
as the newcomers i kinda see chrom shadow darksamus as echos,
and i would say as for newcomers simon seems by now very plausible, as for others i dont know how which franchise needs it most, propably donkey king, with maybe dixie echo and k rool, and well i have no idea what to expect from this game by now, elma also sounds totaly plausible as does rex/pyra. if they have planned for them and started work when character models had been finished it would make total sense too

as for dlc i think if rex/pyr wont make it they get dlc, sylux propably will be dlc i strongly believe that prime 4 might be the push that will corrin him into the roster
i kidna doubt that bandana dee will make it in kinda..

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
View attachment 149961

This made me think of something interesting, what would Castlevania's series icon be? It could be a crucifix related object, but Nintendo has had a history of censoring those (although a lot less in the past decade or so). Still would feel kinda weird to have a cross as a series logo jesus for smash. The only other thing I could think for the series would be a moon or something but Bayo's already got that covered (not that we didn't have two foxes in Brawl).

Anyone whose actually played Castlevania have any ideas lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Um, which leak are you talking about, exactly?
Vergeben leak. Take it with a grain of salt, but the dude has been right in the past, and he did predict Snake returning. According to him, Simon is in, and with another Konami character, Bomberman showing up as an AT, it seems it might just be the case.

what about chrom, isnt his ike palet swap gone? and we havent seen robins final smash? chrom can totaly happen as ike echo
Dunno, something tells me Chrom is not happening simply cause people already feel we have too many FE characters as is. I think Sakurai is gonna go for picks that are very popular across the board above all else. Even with the Echoes. Like Daisy for example, people forget she was popular enough to actually show up in the top 20 for the ballot polls. For Dark Samus, her AT is gone, as is the palette swap for Samus, to me that all but a confirmation that it's happening, especially with Prime 4 on the horizon. Shadow is similar as well. His AT is gone and replaced with Knuckles. As for Ken, that's just a personal wish, but imo, he's the best candidate for an Echo Fighter all things considered. I mean, in SF2 he was literally near identical to Ryu. He'd take very little effort to work into the game, and would be massively popular/hype. It'd also be a nice little nod to the grandaddy of all fighting games. Ryu is one of my mains, if Ken gets added, I'll be swapping out the lone warrior for his cooler counterpart.

As for my final two pics, K.Rool and Banjo were all very popular picks in the polls for the ballot. Like, top 3. And K.Rool got made into a Mii costume. As did Geno now that I think about it. And Rayman had that whole fiasco too, and the Trophy. So imo, those are all safe picks, with Banjo being the biggest stretch, while still having a pretty solid shot what would be hype. Imo, we're gonna see less 1st party stuff make its way in terms for characters. So no Rex, or Spingman, or Deucideye imo. Maybe an ARMS stage though.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
no Rex and Pyra, Elma, Decidueye, Springman, Captain Toad, Geno, Waluigi, Shovel Knight, too many 3rd parties and none of my favorite characters. Therefore, this roster is ridiculous, unrealistic, and unlogical because it doesn’t fit my biased view of what the roster may look like.
Besides Geno and maybe Elma I don't tink any of those are getting in.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
Vergeben leak. Take it with a grain of salt, but the dude has been right in the past, and he did predict Snake returning. According to him, Simon is in, and with another Konami character, Bomberman showing up as an AT, it seems it might just be the case.

Dunno, something tells me Chrom is not happening simply cause people already feel we have too many FE characters as is. I think Sakurai is gonna go for picks that are very popular across the board above all else. Even with the Echoes. Like Daisy for example, people forget she was popular enough to actually show up in the top 20 for the ballot polls. For Dark Samus, her AT is gone, as is the palette swap for Samus, to me that all but a confirmation that it's happening, especially with Prime 4 on the horizon. Shadow is similar as well. His AT is gone and replaced with Knuckles. As for Ken, that's just a personal wish, but imo, he's the best candidate for an Echo Fighter all things considered. I mean, in SF2 he was literally near identical to Ryu. He'd take very little effort to work into the game, and would be massively popular/hype. It'd also be a nice little nod to the grandaddy of all fighting games. Ryu is one of my mains, if Ken gets added, I'll be swapping out the lone warrior for his cooler counterpart.

As for my final two pics, K.Rool and Banjo were all very popular picks in the polls for the ballot. Like, top 3. And K.Rool got made into a Mii costume. As did Geno now that I think about it. And Rayman had that whole fiasco too, and the Trophy. So imo, those are all safe picks, with Banjo being the biggest stretch, while still having a pretty solid shot what would be hype. Imo, we're gonna see less 1st party stuff make its way in terms for characters. So no Rex, or Spingman, or Deucideye imo. Maybe an ARMS stage though.
wait a sec, so while chrom has the exact same two points that make dark samus and shadow a possible echo character he is not?
and i remind you that daisy made it in the game, chrom was heavily requested during smash 4 times, and it was also joked that he is too similiar to ike ingame, so i think to say he has no chance because dark samus and shadow have one is not rly an argument is it. i mean to be fair shadow has one point going for him, which is that his AT is gone
while the other two have their palet swaps removed and they dont show up in the game at all otherwise

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
... Did I take the wrong turn and ended up on /v/, now?

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Mind if I join the party? XD
Just because I'm doing my own codecs doesn't mean everyone else can't, I'm just doing my own takes on every fighter just to make the wait for Ultimate less painful for myself. I encourage everyone who wants to try their hand at codecs to do so, it's fun, you get to be creative, and you sometimes even learn new stuff about characters if you need to do research on someone for a codec.

osby

Smash Obsessed
wait a sec, so while chrom has the exact same two points that make dark samus and shadow a possible echo character he is not?
and i remind you that daisy made it in the game, chrom was heavily requested during smash 4 times, and it was also joked that he is too similiar to ike ingame, so i think to say he has no chance because dark samus and shadow have one is not rly an argument is it. i mean to be fair shadow has one point going for him, which is that his AT is gone
while the other two have their palet swaps removed and they dont show up in the game at all otherwise
Awakening already has two of it's main characters and one of them is already an echo. I don't know but even if I like Chrom, it might be overdoing it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, here's some food for thought: if Marx made it in over Bandana Dee despite not getting as much support, how would you take this?
Ideally, they should both be in, but that's just me.

At this point, a Goomba or a Lakitu with a Triforce symbol and Zelda victory music would be hype as ****
Nah man, Twinrova should be THE ideal newcomer. She showed up in more than one Zelda and even was the true mastermind of the Oracle saga.

True but of franchises with multiple characters with different abilities DK is a little short on reps.
Yeah, especially considering that nearly the entire Kong clan has fighting potential. Lanky alone would give the staff a field day to do a moveset for.

That is correct.

As for the Eshop bag, could be fun and interesting, depending what the moveset is like.
I always did like that bag. One fun way to introduce the news of its inclusion would be this:
>boot up the Eshop as usual
>gets ready
>CHALLENGER APPROACHING!
>Smash Bros boots up when the cart is in the system

I'd actually like them to keep the same melody, but be different by character. Kinda like how Bowser and Meta Knight have rock-y remixes. It sounds weird to have Ganondorf be as heroic as Link, but it also sounds weird for Rosie to have something completely different.
Not to mention the possibility of any Wario reps sharing the same song, whether they're from Land or Ware.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Obligatory, "Shadow makes a terrible echo fighter," post.

Imagine his overly serious self using Sonic's sidetilt or Upair for 2 seconds. Everything......everything is wrong with that.

Anyway, carry on.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Imagine his overly serious self using Sonic's sidetilt or Upair for 2 seconds. Everything......everything is wrong with that.

Anyway, carry on.
I don't really see anything wrong with him using either of those tbh

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Mario is 100x bigger than FE. The Mario spinoff games such as Mario Kart, Tennis and Party have sold millions of units. One game, Mario Kart Wii has sold over triple of the whole FE series total sales. A lot of people know who Daisy and the Mario cast is so it is easy to justify adding them.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I keep seeing Ken Masters as some sort of Echo clone for Ryu, and while he is the original Echo of fighting games, I wonder why?
Is it because you want Ken as a character deeply? Or is it because it is convenient?

I think it might be a hazzle to give 3rd Parties echoes in general, just because there is lisence issues that needs to be fully figured out, just like a regular 3rd party. Even if it's Shadow, or Ken Masters. They need to pay for their lisence, just to make them the same like a pre-existing character, with new charismatics.

Still, I'm very curious to why Ken Masters. We got Akuma/Gouki, Sakura, Dan Hibiki, Sean Matsuda and many other shotos.
Personally, IF they went through the hazzle, I'd love to see Akuma of the viable options. He makes just as much sense as an echo as Daisy, Lucina and Dark Pit does. (Same with Ken, and Shadow, but Ken is the one in question)

I'd love to hear your views on the matter of Ken Masters.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Okay, here's some food for thought: if Marx made it in over Bandana Dee despite not getting as much support, how would you take this?
Ideally, they should both be in, but that's just me.

I'd react just fine. I'd prefer Pokemon got two reps but thats overly biased of me and there would be a ****storm about it. I think if Kirby got two new characters only DK and LoZ fans would be tilted.

I actually like both Bandana Dee and Marx a lot so yeah.

I don't really see anything wrong with him using either of those tbh
It just doesn't fit his personality.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990

Anyway, carry on.
But...but...but Shadow can't be an echo fighter he uses CHAOS CONTROL.

He literally only uses it in cutscenes and 90% of the time he's identical to Sonic during gameplay.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Probably treading in dangerous waters by saying this, but I seriously don't get why so many people are saying Geno is extremely likely now. The guy sticks out like a sore thumb when compared to the rest of the Mario characters, and there's not much that's changed since Smash 4 that would warrant Geno being prioritized over other newcomers.

Regardless of Sakurai's comments, I just don't see it happening. If Waluigi and (Captain) Toad can't get in, then I don't see why Geno would fare much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom