• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Dude, they have five vowel sounds. Five. And if one's spent any amount of time watching anime (so long as it wasn't too poorly dubbed), they should be able to reproduce them fairly simply.
It was Armada mispronouncing his name here; a commentator at the tournament also mispronounced it.

But whatever.
Five vowels with 15 ways to pronounce those vowels plus a number of other combinations. The point I’m trying to make that mispronunciation is a common mistake when trying to say someone’s name and that such mistakes should be probably be forgiven. Armada isn’t probably a student of the Japanese language and Japanese names are already pretty hard to pronounce. I know someone named Kawai but I sometimes accidentally pronounce it as Kawaii (as in cute). Or once I was an English/Japanese interpreter for the city hall when a delegation from Thailand came to visit. I was so nervous and preoccupi d that I introduced the head of tourism as Tanora instead of Tanoura.

Yeah, by now, most people who play Smash should be well-acquainted on how to say Sakurai but I’m willing to give Armada a mulligan on this one.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
he likes mechs? maybe for snake? to make people speculate over nothing. I don't think it has a real meaning towards it just another red herring for us to follow.
He said that he bought the figure so he could use the rifle as a visual reference for his work which turned out to be Smash Bros Ultimate.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I don't see how Charizard being a fully evolved fire starter disqualifies Incineroar. They may share a typing, but Incineroar would not play the same as Charizard at all as the former is a heel wrestler that focuses on grappling and other styles associated with that sport while the latter is a bipedal dragon and pretty much fights like one. Hell, they don't even use Flamethrower the same as Incineroar uses his belt while Charizard uses his mouth, so even when simplifying their similarities they still have a number of differences between each other.
To be honest, Bowser is more similar to Incineroar than Charizard and even then at most they'd be as similar to each other as Marth and Ike or Zelda and Palutena are.

These conservative roster guesses are giving me flashbacks to when people thought we'd get 3 or 4 characters as DLC.
Their guesses wasn't that far off as we only got 7 characters as DLC with none of them being Wolf (which i guess we now know why he was excluded as DLC given he's back in this game)

Plus they basically added 3 new pokemon to this game, adding another one in may seem like overkill tbh
It's Pokemon, one of Nintendo's biggest franchises. Heck, Pokemon Go was insanely successful and huge during 2016, the same year the roster for this game would have been finalised.

How nuts would it be if it turns out that all the featured newcomers are characters who placed highly on the ballot?
That would be epic.

VolkLaw

Smash Rookie
The trailer showed a lot of melee levels... Then there's the gamecube controller adaptability. I'm dearly hoping this is a way of saying that Smash Bros has gone back to the physics and responsiveness of Melee. Brawl and other predecessors always felt a few milliseconds slower to me. I would actually buy a switch if Ultimate felt like Melee.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
The trailer showed a lot of melee levels... Then there's the gamecube controller adaptability. I'm dearly hoping this is a way of saying that smash bros has gone back to the physics and responsiveness of melee. Brawl and other predecessors always felt a few a few miliseconds slower to me. I would actually buy a switch if Ultimate felt like Melee.
It's definitely faster than Smash 4

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The trailer showed a lot of melee levels... Then there's the gamecube controller adaptability. I'm dearly hoping this is a way of saying that smash bros has gone back to the physics and responsiveness of melee. Brawl and other predecessors always felt a few a few miliseconds slower to me. I would actually buy a switch if Ultimate felt like Melee.
Off topic, but...

Welcome to the forums!

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
He said that he bought the figure so he could use the rifle as a visual reference for his work which turned out to be Smash Bros Ultimate.
It's most likely for an assist trophy or something, but it could be for a new character. He never said for certain that the only newcomers would be inkling Ridley and Daisy, so we might get new characters revealed before December. Not sure who he would really need a rifle for. It could either be a character from Xenoblade Chronicles X, Custom Robo or a third party property like RE.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I hope Golden Sun gets better representation than it did in Smash 4, content-wise.

Also, this is one of the highest-rated comments in the official Smash Ultimate E3 video

insert obligatory complaint about waluigi not being a playable character

Last edited:

ridleystan

Smash Cadet
Question:. will there be a blog post of the day thread?

cause i will be honest, if they are consistant with when they post something, i might be more active, i just want to relive potd :)
i hope so, i like those sort of things. also good morning my friends

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Todays Item
Pokèmon - Vulpix (Alola Form)
This Pokèmon freezes fighters with icy breath.

1529061981614.png

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
The trailer showed a lot of melee levels... Then there's the gamecube controller adaptability. I'm dearly hoping this is a way of saying that Smash Bros has gone back to the physics and responsiveness of Melee. Brawl and other predecessors always felt a few milliseconds slower to me. I would actually buy a switch if Ultimate felt like Melee.
It doesn't feel like Melee. Feels like it's own thing that upgrades on Smash 4 and then adds other elements from Melee and some new stuff to combine it all to create it's own gameplay. I'd call it unique, but it's definitely closer to Smash 4 than Melee imo. With that said, it definitely plays faster and is "heavier" than Smash 4 was. It also has more offensive tools at your disposal and rewards you more now for some of the aggressive moves you make, and has nerfed some of the defensive tools.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Every smash they add a new Earthbound / Mother stage... I wonder what new stage they would add.
Better question, I wonder if it would be from mother 1, earthbound or mother 3.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Every smash they add a new Earthbound / Mother stage... I wonder what new stage they would add.
Better question, I wonder if it would be from mother 1, earthbound or mother 3.
I don't know if we'll get a new Mother stage. I believe it currently has 4 stages with Onett, Fourside, New Pork City and Magicant, does it really need another? Those stages do represent every game. I do think Ninten has a high chance of being an echo character though with Sakurai already going out of his way to add party characters to Ness' and Lucas' final smashes.

Do you think we'll get another newcomer next month? Robin and Lucina were revealed around a month after e3 in 2014, hopefully it happens again.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
I don't know if we'll get a new Mother stage. I believe it currently has 4 stages with Onett, Fourside, New Pork City and Magicant, does it really need another? Those stages do represent every game. I do think Ninten has a high chance of being an echo character though with Sakurai already going out of his way to add party characters to Ness' and Lucas' final smashes.
In every new smash game there is a new mother stage, and there are are a lot of places that could be great stages, like Devil's machine, lightning tower, Chimera's lab, Saturn Valley.
And I wouldn't be so sure about Ninten, he have a very big problem, and is that he looks exactly the same as Ness:
NessetNinten.png
For anyone that don't know anything about Mother, this would be extremely confusing.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
we every fighter and nearly every stage im a bit worried that itll cost us in terms of trophies, music or game modes (unless of cource ive overestimated the mount of data this'll all take up or underestimated the power of the switch)

mind you so far i think my music is returning ive heard at least three splatoon songs i suppose there could be a second splatoon stage

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
In every new smash game there is a new mother stage, and there are are a lot of places that could be great stages, like Devil's machine, lightning tower, Chimera's lab, Saturn Valley.
And I wouldn't be so sure about Ninten, he have a very big problem, and is that he looks exactly the same as Ness:
For anyone that don't know anything about Mother, this would be extremely confusing.
We have 3 Links in the game, it shouldn't be a problem.

we every fighter and nearly every stage im a bit worried that itll cost us in terms of trophies, music or game modes (unless of cource ive overestimated the mount of data this'll all take up or underestimated the power of the switch)

mind you so far i think my music is returning ive heard at least three splatoon songs i suppose there could be a second splatoon stage
I hope the 2 minute limit for music is gone.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
We have 3 Links in the game, it shouldn't be a problem.
But every Link is different from each other, one is link, the other is a small child link, the other is a cartoon link, when you are fighting you can see the differences.
But between Ness and Ninten the only difference is that Ness have a backpack.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman

I wouldn't particularly care about less trophies the stupid number of them in brawl and wiiu made the grind for them boring but game modes being limited would suck but I imagine if they're not there (or more likely only classic, events and break the target) then we can expect to see some DLC game modes.

Music wise, it takes up such little data on devices you don't have to worry about hearing at least 600 tracks so 2 for each stage and some songs on multiple stages.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
I just really hope the roster in the final build will not be in the order of the website: 1 Mario 2 Donkey Kong and so on. The Smash 4 roster did not have all its characters by its series (Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Corrin at the DLC / Dr. Mario, Lucina, Dark Pit at the clones). I thought it was really disturbing and I hope they don't do this again, but it looks really like they are going to do this again.

Your thoughts?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I just really hope the roster in the final build will not be in the order of the website: 1 Mario 2 Donkey Kong and so on. The Smash 4 roster did not have all its characters by its series (Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Corrin at the DLC / Dr. Mario, Lucina, Dark Pit at the clones). I thought it was really disturbing and I hope they don't do this again, but it looks really like they are going to do this again.

Your thoughts?
I'm hoping they'll have an option that will allow you to order the characters on the roster by series just like the website does.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It doesn't feel like Melee. Feels like it's own thing that upgrades on Smash 4 and then adds other elements from Melee and some new stuff to combine it all to create it's own gameplay. I'd call it unique, but it's definitely closer to Smash 4 than Melee imo. With that said, it definitely plays faster and is "heavier" than Smash 4 was. It also has more offensive tools at your disposal and rewards you more now for some of the aggressive moves you make, and has nerfed some of the defensive tools.
This already is great! Melee was honestly busted and heavily imbalanced. Such an engine wouldn't work on a modern game anymore, especially not one with a huge cast of roughly 66 characters and counting. A more offensive Smash 4 is a great approach!

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990

Your thoughts?
Just looked and the e3 demo seems to be ordered this way. Hopefully it changes in the final game or you can toggle the order. I'd rather each character be grouped with their series.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Question, is Pikachu Libre a Pokken official creation? Or did she orginate in Pokemon first?

Also, Saturn Valley is a stage that is almost as heavily needed as a damned Bowser's Castle.

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Question, is Pikachu Libre a Pokken official creation? Or did she orginate in Pokemon first?

Also, Saturn Valley is a stage that is almost as heavily needed as a damned Bowser's Castle.
Pokemon first, Appeared in pokemon omega ruby and alpha sapphire as a pikachu you could dress up for contests.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Pokemon OR/AS then Pokken. Shadow Mewtwo is the only original Pokemon from Pokken.

Last edited:

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping they'll have an option that will allow you to order the characters on the roster by series just like the website does.
Well, that would be the best of both worlds I think.

Oh, and I am thinking they will be adding 7 new characters after this, at least. My guesses:

1. King K Rool (ballot choice)
2. Chorus Kids (Sakurai wanted to put them in Smash, new franchise representation, Rhythm Heaven is the biggest franchise without a character left, may be a secret character)
3. Simon Belmont (heavily rumored third party newcomer, new franchise representation, although it's weird they haven't announced him during E3 like Mega Man, Snake and Pac-Man)
4. Decidueye or Mimikyu (popular choices for the new Pokémon, they add a new Pokémon character each new Smash game, personal preference: Decidueye)
5. Elma (this one was a hard one, but Sakurai loves Xenoblade, and he probably wants to add other franchise representation, but we don't have any "huge" main franchises left. ARMS may get a DLC character. More DLC is not likely, Simon and Shadow bringing the number to nine (!) different ones, so I kept thinking about Xenoblade)
6. Echo character: Shadow the Hedgehog (extremely popular choice, probably ended high during the ballot, the Sonic series had Knuckles as a new assist trophy so Shadow could be an echo character)
7. Echo character: Dixie Kong (another extremely popular character, girl character, high ballot placement)

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Dixie wouldn't feel right as an echo of Diddy, maybe they could share jabs/airs/smashes but specials would need to be changed. Peanut popgun and rocket barrels just don't seem fitting.

Questionmark222 Questionmark222 : fills me with hope seeing so many people eager for Skull Kid.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The recent website datamining is certainly very interesting.

As for who I currently want the most that is not de-confirmed, I want Sora, Geno, Isabelle, and Prince Sable.

What I do not want the most is to see Isabelle and Dixie Kong as Echo Fighters. I think its a massive disservice to base them on Villager and Diddy, only to change a few properties and moves when Sakurai could be doing much more with them. But I would not be surprised if Sakurai sees them that way anyway. :9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom