• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The Animal Crossing logo is not on Villager's page. Unless it's supposed to be hidden? But you can't visibly see it where it's suppose to be?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Except we actually have the "ah" sound...
And the Japanese have the “fi” pronunciation yet still call coffee “kohi” and not “kofi”. Having a certain sound doesn’t matter. Even if you are familiar with a language, your own regional dialect, personal intonation and voice pattern, and slip of tongue are all factors in mispronunciation. Expecting someone; even if it’s Mango, to be knowledgeable in Japanese pronunciation and reproduce it accurately is rather silly (unless, of course, it’s their job or second language). I didn’t mean to come off hard on this but I’ve seen kids try to pronounce things in English and fail dramatically. Then the kids who are actually good in English mock that student for the mispronunciation and basically say what you said. I don’t let that **** fly in my classes.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
When I look at the data, it's the same as I said before. I have no idea how to datamine the image itself, but I can't find anything. I've tried to look for patterns, but bleh.

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
to be knowledgeable in Japanese pronunciation and reproduce it accurately is rather silly
Dude, they have five vowel sounds. Five. And if one's spent any amount of time watching anime (so long as it wasn't too poorly dubbed), they should be able to reproduce them fairly simply.
It was Armada mispronouncing his name here; a commentator at the tournament also mispronounced it.

But whatever.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I can find the images, but the image data seems to just say {{logo}} afterwards.

Which means it's kind of meaningless and they're all automated placeholders or something?
yeah Im really unsure WHAT exactly the data is supposedly showing that villager has that other single repped series do not, figured out how to look at website data in firefox and multiple pages for single rep series say

<p class="fighter-series__header-txt">Other Fighters From This Series</p>

but im not sure if im looking in the right place

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
yeah Im really unsure WHAT exactly the data is supposedly showing that villager has that other single repped series do not, figured out how to look at website data in firefox and multiple pages for single rep series say

<p class="fighter-series__header-txt">Other Fighters From This Series</p>

but im not sure if im looking in the right place
Even right before it, you can see data for the "series logo" stuff. It's the same on all pages.

It might be just a placeholder for them to slowly add specific logos as is. To be honest, this is probably a case of "there was nothing of note to begin with".

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Even right before it, you can see data for the "series logo" stuff. It's the same on all pages.

It might be just a placeholder for them to slowly add specific logos as is. To be honest, this is probably a case of "there was nothing of note to begin with".
yeah I suppose so, unsure what that thread poster was getting at that no other single rep series had that data, again unless im looking in the wrong page/area of the site/coding OR if that thread poster was simply wrong.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Actually, the series logo of note appears only on the page of a selected character. That's the ones Skyblade was posting.
No he's not, you can see the white division lines from the series page. But I figured it out and feel stupid now. You need to make the window smaller than I had it to see them. Embarrass:laugh:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No he's not, you can see the white division lines from the series page. But I figured it out and feel stupid now. You need to make the window smaller than I had it to see them. Embarrass:laugh:
I see it now. Thanks for that tip. Anyway, the logos all are available from what I can see. MegaMan's is outright visible.

Every series is there.

Also, Mii Fighters have the Mii logo. It seems they are the first fighters in history to outright switch series.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
My face when, after almost twenty years, thanks to Smash Ultimate's buffs at Ganon's damage output and range, he finally leaves the low F-tier to finally reach his magnum opus, his higheste peak.
Low E-tier.

Original picture by Twitter user tokkyuumikan
Edits by me :3

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, glad that 'leak' was squashed quickly.

I'm fine with leaks like the ESRB leak since it feels kinda....neat to see stuff that we're not supposed to be seeing.

But a flub in the source code is wayyyy anticlimactic. One of the first things that people do when a website goes live is scour the source code for information. A flub on Nintendo's part as to potential series that newcomers will belong to would be really, really lame, and also make the choices super obvious in a lot of cases.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I see it now. Thanks for that tip. Anyway, the logos all are available from what I can see. MegaMan's is outright visible.

Every series is there.

Also, Mii Fighters have the Mii logo. It seems they are the first fighters in history to outright switch series.
They still seem to be keeping the Smash logo for their series icon.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
They still seem to be keeping the Smash logo for their series icon.
They have both icons. I don't think 4 noted what "series" they originated from like the website does.

Basically, every series has two icons. Their background symbol(Mushroom, etc.) and their main Series Logo. Super Mario, Final Fantasy VII, etc.

Seems more of a simple series acknowledgement. But yeah, I did miss the Smash logo earlier.

I still wonder if we're getting a new Fighting Team like every regular installment, though. I could see them being the sole playable SSB character now. Which is funny, since Giga Bowser become "playable" but lost his logo in return. XD

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
random thought:

you can now K.O. assist trophies... will we be FIGHTING assist trophies in some one player mode or possibly smash run or something?

T-Hell

Smash Lord
random thought:

you can now K.O. assist trophies... will we be FIGHTING assist trophies in some one player mode or possibly smash run or something?
Probably in an Event. Speaking about Events, I can't wait to see the inevitable Event where you have to beat Ridley under the influence of the giant mushroom :lol:

On another note, is this the biggest Smash in terms of stages yet? We have about 80 something confirmed, and more to come. If it isn't yet, it will definitely be. Also 4 Earthbound/Mother stages, insanity :O

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
For the love of god though, can Classic Mode be Classic Mode, and not whatever they tried on the WiiU?

When I think Classic Mode, I think of what we got in the 3DS version, not MULTI-MAN MELEE times ten.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
For the love of god though, can Classic Mode be Classic Mode, and not whatever they tried on the WiiU?

When I think Classic Mode, I think of what we got in the 3DS version, not MULTI-MAN MELEE times ten.
Well, it is called Simple Mode in Japan, and is pretty variable. The whole idea is to fight a crapload of matches in a row, and it's not that specific. The problem is the dubbed name makes people think it's meant to just repeat the pattern of the previous game instead of being whatever it wants to be, being simplistic to a degree.

But yes, let's not repeat this travesty.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Probably in an Event. Speaking about Events, I can't wait to see the inevitable Event where you have to beat Ridley under the influence of the giant mushroom :lol:

On another note, is this the biggest Smash in terms of stages yet? We have about 80 something confirmed, and more to come. If it isn't yet, it will definitely be. Also 4 Earthbound/Mother stages, insanity :O
last i heard we have seen 83 out of 115 of the total old stages, so my guess is all stages are returning or at least the vast majority... but i could see sakurai confirming in a later direct that all stages return just like all characters. It might be something they arent finished with yet but plan to do...this is smash bros ULTIMATE after all.

Shroob

Sup?
Well, it is called Simple Mode in Japan, and is pretty variable. The whole idea is to fight a crapload of matches in a row, and it's not that specific. The problem is the dubbed name makes people think it's meant to just repeat the pattern of the previous game instead of being whatever it wants to be, being simplistic to a degree.

But yes, let's not repeat this travesty.
The problem is you had 3 games which all followed the same formula, and the 3ds version followed it as well just with branching paths, and then the WiiU comes along and tries something new, and fails miserably.... much like the WiiU itself.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Just wondering where did people find out knuckles was an assist, I know he was in the sonic pic but it doesn't stat he is an assist trophy he could be a character or alt skin same for crystal from starfox (I believe they are assist trophies but wanted to know if there was confirmation)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The problem is you had 3 games which all followed the same formula, and the 3ds version followed it as well just with branching paths, and then the WiiU comes along and tries something new, and fails miserably.... much like the WiiU itself.
So did the 3DS version, which did something entirely different. It didn't fail, on the other hand.

And they changed things up quite a bit. They removed multiple mini-games. Brawl completely removes everything but two target tests. 3DS and Wii U versions pretty much followed to what Brawl was doing, removing more mini-games. The only thing the Wii U version actually did was add more variety(it just wasn't good variety).

Shroob

Sup?
Just wondering where did people find out knuckles was an assist, I know he was in the sonic pic but it doesn't stat he is an assist trophy he could be a character or alt skin same for crystal from starfox (I believe they are assist trophies but wanted to know if there was confirmation)
If they were characters, they would have said such. They wouldn't show off a character in game and not mention them being a character.

osby

Smash Obsessed
New modes would be cool but I hope a few of the most iconic ones returns.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
i saw it in a video, i think it happened during the invitational at one point honestly.

Shroob

Sup?
So did the 3DS version, which did something entirely different. It didn't fail, on the other hand.

And they changed things up quite a bit. They removed multiple mini-games. Brawl completely removes everything but two target tests. 3DS and Wii U versions pretty much followed to what Brawl was doing, removing more mini-games. The only thing the Wii U version actually did was add more variety(it just wasn't good variety).
I'd argue that 3ds classic mode was more or less the same as the 3 classic modes before it, the only difference being the choose your paths.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The site has typos and such alone. Don't take any videos seriously on there as a confirmation or disconfirmation of anything unless it outright states it. It can't even spell Olimar right on the US page.

They slip up and we all know it. Them showing something in a video means jack-all. The only real reason we were able to confirm Knuckles and Krystals as Assist Trophies is because we outright saw them being summoned in a stream. For all we know, they could've been stage elements/hazards in those stages. That's why it's useless information as is.

I'd argue that 3ds classic mode was more or less the same as the 3 classic modes before it, the only difference being the choose your paths.
That had nothing to do with what I said.

Wii U version has more variety than the 3DS version in the end. 3DS version was just better done.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
There's video showing him as an assist.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He did plan to have Assist Trophies have roles during All-Star. This could be related.

Besides that, you even get KO points, not unlike Ridley in Smash 4. Kind of neat.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
That moment when you realize that by using her LBW appearance Princess Hilda will be a Zelda alt costume
images (3).jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom