• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roberk

Smash Champion
To be fair this entire thing has had the aura of a "swan song", finale sort of thing. If this were the last Smash game in a while, a long while, and maybe even the last Sakurai worked on, I wouldn't be surprised.

I also wouldn't be mad, sad maybe.

But if the next smash is a reboot I'd actually be very interested in seeing where they go with it.
Way too much money in the franchise for it to end or even end for a while. I could see a long gap between this and the next one but only if Ultimate turns into games as a service with long-lasting DLC tiding us over till the next one. Sakurai leaving is actually very possible, but honestly, I'd be happy. The guy needs a break and his talents are being wasted on Smash like just look at how he revived a dead franchise like Kid Icarus we need more of that from him.

Also, history goes on. Smash represents Nintendo history. It or something like it being the ultimate Nintendo crossover will need to represent all of the new stuff of Nintendo and expose new generations to older franchises.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Considering the fact veterans will not be DLC this time, if we get DLC (which I suspect we will) I expect them to go full-force on promotion. Spring Man, Rex & Pyra, Edelgard, a Gen 8 'mon, and characters representing new up-and-coming IPs getting center stage to really bring the Smash lifespan full circle. Not as many as last time, and heck, maybe even just four or five total, but a way to truly make Smash 4 his magnum opus and represent as much Nintendo as he possibly can.

Last edited:

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
so gave it a day or two after the direct to let it fully sink in and the best i got is 'eh, that's alright'. it's good **** that everyone came back, but this feels like a final sendoff than a permanent thing. sakurai an old ****, was surprised to see him in the direct like he was. got the most hype for pichu comin back 'cause at that point i knew what it meant so woo. ridley does approximately ****-all for me as a newcomer. i'm gonna play him twice to get his trophies and then he's just gonna collect dust on the CSS. daisy's a big ol' shrug. i saw my big-time holy-****-i-want-it chara as a ****ing at (krystal), so i know her ass is boned for the next 5+n years. bomberman bein an at was hella-weird, had to **** my head at that. for the most part i'm happy that it's 'smash on switch' cause that's what i've been wanting so goodie.

so overall, good **** on the whole group being back, but aint **** that made me super jump outta my seat. actually liked devolver's conference more (and not just 'cause of MWC, but holy **** am i ****ing READY).

also did hyrule warriors ultra-definitive yeah-this-is-the-**** final-strike ex plus-alpha version get dlc? 'cause i think i'm still mostly right here, port-plus with some new ****. which also means this might not get dlc. i know for a fact miiverse stage is ****ing dead unless they bring back miiverse as a service.

when's my friend pedro gonna get in smash? XD

Last edited:

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
Who is one character you want more than all others, and who is one character you don’t want to make it on the roster?
I personally want Viridi or Hades- Mostly Hades all day-(both from KI:U) due to their fun personalities and seeing these interesting movesets that they could've come up with. But sadly, they aren't prioritized as much as other fighters. but in my optimistic view I hope Sakurai still knows his characters and at least add them as fighters; or, just not do it at all.

A character I don't want. One word. Sora. Just no. please no. Not against everyone who supports Sora to be in Smash Ultimate, but I just don't see him in Smash; not even in the near future.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
most wanted: tie between Geno and Banjo-Kazooie, but Geno seems far more plausible right now.

least wanted: aside from ridiculous choices like shrek and goku that wont happen... maybe Shadow? I'm just a classic sonic fan, i liked the adventure games but shadow was the beginning of sonic going down a "too cool for school" path that nearly ruined the series until mania came and saved it... Also maybe Rabbids IF they beat out Rayman, both is fine and i'd prefer rayman with rabbids as an assist but if it happened the other way around i'd be pretty unhappy about that.

I used to dislike getting anymore fire emblem characters but now that no one is cut its hard to dislike anyone getting in, doesnt feel like they "beat out" anyone who already made it and should be back which was my main gripe with corrin when we still didnt have wolf.

i got little mac already last game though and he was my most wanted purely nintendo character so im set, just make the game good and add in the last few deserving reps (belmont/dixie/k rool/waddle dee) and i'm beyond sold with this roster, if someone i hate gets in i think i can deal.

Roberk

Smash Champion
This question is for everyone. I’m genuinely curious.

Who is one character you want more than all others, and who is one character you don’t want to make it on the roster?

No harsh words or offense. Just answers. Everyone has opinions.

My most wanted: Isabelle. A non-Echo, semi-clone, Isabelle.

My most unwanted: Rayman. I don’t know why honestly, but when I think of him in Smash, I almost cringe.
Most Wanted: Torterra. Yep, Torterra.

Most Unwanted: Camilla.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Most Wanted: A Belmont because it's that one piece of nintendo history I feel should've been in Smash for a long time. Runner up is Rayman.

Least Wanted: Any of the not video game meme picks that float around. That would just be so annoying. I'd only be slightly tolerate of Goku cause of the hype around DBZF right now, but even that would be so stupid.

Other than that, honestly anything could go.

I'd love to see K. Rool or Geno or another fan favorite, but that would be more for the community reaction than personal preference.

I love it when everybody gets hype.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Okay. Goku might kill my mood a bit, but I'd get over it. But thankfully I think that's the one "impossibility" that I don't think we'll ever see crossed. It could happen sure, but it's such a small percentage of a chance of happening.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Okay. Goku might kill my mood a bit, but I'd get over it. But thankfully I think that's the one "impossibility" that I don't think we'll ever see crossed. It could happen sure, but it's such a small percentage of a chance of happening.
DONT YOU ****ING JINX THIS ROGER

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
so gave it a day or two after the direct to let it fully sink in and the best i got is 'eh, that's alright'. it's good **** that everyone came back, but this feels like a final sendoff than a permanent thing. sakurai an old ****, was surprised to see him in the direct like he was.
Sakurai is only 47. That's 18 years younger than Miyamoto and Miyamoto is still directing games and movies and all that. Sakurai is actually quite young, so even if this is his last Smash game he'll still be around.

Maybe with Smash out of the way he can work on Kid Icarus Uprising 2. Right?

DONT YOU ****ING JINX THIS ROGER
Please do. I actually kind of want Goku because people say it's impossible.

Also because I unironically want to see him fight Mario.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I was already considering quitting Smash Speculation after this game, but the whole Decidueye debate just makes me want to quit even more.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I personally want Viridi or Hades- Mostly Hades all day-(both from KI:U) due to their fun personalities and seeing these interesting movesets that they could've come up with. But sadly, they aren't prioritized as much as other fighters. but in my optimistic view I hope Sakurai still knows his characters and at least add them as fighters; or, just not do it at all.

A character I don't want. One word. Sora. Just no. please no. Not against everyone who supports Sora to be in Smash Ultimate, but I just don't see him in Smash; not even in the near future.
Aren't you worried that their fun personalities would be lost? I mean, getting Viridi in on some of Palutena's Guidances allowed her character to shine through way more than just being a fighter.

Hades, if anything, I feel is even worse. Everything good about him comes from his dialogue, and fighters basically don't speak.

Personally, I think Hades should be a background element of an Underworld Stage. He doesn't participate in the fight at all, he just sits in the background and makes snarky comments about whoever is fighting the entire battle.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
hey so someone just posted this on 4chan seems worth discussing im just gonna copy and paste what was said rather than link the thread:

"I noticed that only series that have multiple characters have their logos on their pages on the website. For example characters from the Zelda series have this along with the tag "Others Fighters from this Series.":​
So I decided to analyze the html look on the websites database and see what unused logos I could find. I quickly found the Warioware logo which quickly led me to believe it might mean another WW character is coming, but I managed to find the logos for all other series as well, even though they do not show up elsewhere on the site. Likely they will be used for the stages/items section:​

https://www.smashbros.com/assets_v2/img/fighter/logo/famicomrobot_en.png
https://www.smashbros.com/assets_v2/img/fighter/logo/doubutsu_en.png

None exist for other series not currently in smash, such as Castlevania, Excite Bike, Minecraft, etc. Include fighter icons, images etc.

Also Bayonetta's series is specifically Bayonetta 2, and not Bayonetta in general. (Weird since game 3 is coming and her model from B1 is in game)

There was one anomaly however. For the html on the website under the other fighters section, all of the series with fighters were listed as:

<p class="fighter-series__header-txt">Other Fighters From This Series</p>

All of the series with a solo fighter were listed as:

<div id="fighter-series-list" class="is-series-list-empty"></div>

All of them except Animal Crossing

https://imgtc.com/i/WiwKWQo.png

It has a section for "Other Fighters From This Series"

No other solo fighter series says this."

So essentially grounds for possibly an animal crossing newcomer (Isabelle?)

EDIT: i initially said isabelle and ashley except after rereading it i think the poster meant they first thought a wario ware rep until they found the other series logos but this lead them to find animal crossing had that strange "other fighter" data. my bad, so nothing pointing to more wario ware characters just something pointing to more animal crossing reps.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
The most I could see is since Bandai Namco is helping out and has game rights to Goku? They'd add his Gi as a costume for the Mii Brawler.
That'd actually be pretty cool.

Please do. I actually kind of want Goku because people say it's impossible.

Also because I unironically want to see him fight Mario.
Could you imagine Goku getting in and Geno/K. Rool being Mii costumes.

That would truly be the Ultimate (pun intended) Sakurai move.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Ignore this and see my next post. Smashboards went weird on me.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
hey so someone just posted this on 4chan seems worth discussing im just gonna copy and paste what was said rather than link the thread:

"I noticed that only series that have multiple characters have their logos on their pages on the website. For example characters from the Zelda series have this along with the tag "Others Fighters from this Series.":​
So I decided to analyze the html look on the websites database and see what unused logos I could find. I quickly found the Warioware logo which quickly led me to believe it might mean another WW character is coming, but I managed to find the logos for all other series as well, even though they do not show up elsewhere on the site. Likely they will be used for the stages/items section:​

None exist for other series not currently in smash, such as Castlevania, Excite Bike, Minecraft, etc. Include fighter icons, images etc.

Also Bayonetta's series is specifically Bayonetta 2, and not Bayonetta in general. (Weird since game 3 is coming and her model from B1 is in game)

There was one anomaly however. For the html on the website under the other fighters section, all of the series with fighters were listed as:

So essentially grounds for possibly a wario ware newcomer (probably Ashley) and grounds for an animal crossing newcomer (Isabelle?)
They show up when viewing the fighters by series.
https://www.smashbros.com/en_AU/fighter/series.html

Last edited:

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Honestly, I would love it if Sakurai hid half of the newcomers from the public and just let us discover them. It would fit extremely well with the theme of starting from the original 8 and working your way up. It would be exciting.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Isabelle and Ashley totally incoming.

They're the only ones that make sense for that series.
I don't get why this indicates Wario Ware though. He just found the logo and as he himself stated, he found logos for all the games. Animal Crossing is the only data irregularity that indicates a newcomer in that case.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Question: does the Reset Bomb Forest stage hinder Viridi's chances? Is there something like Alfonzo in Spirit Tracks that could happen if she was made playable?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

So essentially grounds for possibly an animal crossing newcomer (Isabelle?)

EDIT: i initially said isabelle and ashley except after rereading it i think the poster meant they first thought a wario ware rep until they found the other series logos but this lead them to find animal crossing had that strange "other fighter" data. my bad, so nothing pointing to more wario ware characters just something pointing to more animal crossing reps.
And ashley and isabelle are both missing from the assist trophy lineup... huh...

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Animal Crossing being the only solo fighter series with that bit of code is interesting but for all we know it could just have been mistakenly put in there.

As always, we're stuck having to wait and see.

MASTERLINKX

enjoy my good friend shulk! :)
NNID
MASTERLINKX
I really wonder how different the final release will be from the event demo everyone played.
Hope any changes are for the better.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Sorry guys i spoke a bit quickly there and didnt fully understand what the poster was saying, the wario ware logo i guess wasnt unique as they found the rest it was the data for animal crossing that points to another character so false alarm on ashley but a new animal crossing rep (probably isabelle) is what the data implies.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
first Bandanna Waddle Dee amiibo gets datamined, now we have code for a potential new Animal Crossing rep on the website.

Sakurai must be losing his touch if he's letting the roster leak this early...

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I don't get why this indicates Wario Ware though. He just found the logo and as he himself stated, he found logos for all the games. Animal Crossing is the only data irregularity that indicates a newcomer in that case.
it doesnt sorry i totally misread what the poster was saying and thought he meant wario ware AND animal crossing but its just that he initially thought wario ware and then found out it wasnt unique as the other logos were there but this lead him to notice the odd part of the animal crossing data which implies another fighter.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Now predicting Belmont and Isabelle or other AC rep.

You heard it here first.

Mark your calendars.

Save this page.

If I'm wrong I'll eat a pixy stick

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I ****ing love how this guy went through all the code and assets but still managed to completely miss the option to view fighters by series.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Isn't the demo playable in NYC today for the last day? Is it free to just go to there and line up to play?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Isabelle could simply be the next newcomer being revealed shortly and that's why the Animal Crossing series is in ''Other Fighters From That Series"

Last edited:

ratmon19

Smash Cadet
In so happy beyond words that fact Ridley is really here this time. All I need is k rool and I'm set. Other people who would be great but I won't hold my breath

Girahim or skull kid
Ashley
Belmont
Medusa or hades
Shadow
Isaac
Decidueye

Unpopular opinions
Lip
Disco kid

I know I'm missing someone hold up....

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Reworked the medusa as an echo fighter thing a lil after talking to some people last night.

*Aesthetic changes*
>Idle is slower and instead of a hair flip she rubs her chin like in one of her dialogue boxes in KIU. This is because her different hair style and personality don't work with palutenas idle animation of flipping her hair.
> Her facial animations are in general far "grumpier" than palutenas. She basically never smiles outside of her win poses, or taunts. During some of her attacks her eyes become a menacing shade of yellow/red like in her sprites.
> Her overall aesthetic has more of a darkness feel to it. Despite her specials and moves all working the same they have different effects from palutenas light based effects. Examples include Fsmash/Dsmash has black wings instead of white wings. Upair, and upsmash have purple effects instead of blue. Her reflect, and side b are also purple rather than blue. None of this actually affects gameplay in anyway as they all work the same.
> Taunts are 1- She places her hands on her hips and laughs. 2-She strokes the chin of one of her snakes on her hair. 3-Does a pole dance similar to palutena but she slides down the staff
> Win pose 1 - she thrusts her staff forward and laughs maniacally while her eyes become red. Win pose 2 - She pets a monoeye and says "all hail me". Win pose 3 - She slashes at the screen with her claw and laughs. If she wins vs palutena she says "Finally. Skyworld is mine." If she beats pit or dark pit she will say "how precious."

*Actual changes gameplay wise*
> Bair lacks intangibility but makes up for it by being stronger. Same animation and frame data but she uses her monster arm(kinda like doing a backhand without the shield). Its hits far harder and has a slightly bigger hitbox. It basically functions like ganondorfs back air.
> Dash Attack lacks intangibility as well but is much stronger than Palutenas, has the same animation but her monster arm kinda increases in size during the attack. It hits far harder and is slightly stronger than clouds dash attack.
> Final smash is her medusa stare where she reveals her monster face. It essentially is like bowser/zero suit final smash where she grows in size behind the stage and shoots a powerful beam at her opponents with her singular eye.
> Auto reticle doesnt shoout out anything but if the opponent is within its range it paralyzes(stuns) the opponent. It basically works like corrins neutral b but the stun lasts slightly longer. So imagine palutenas auto reticle having that small triangle aiming area but its brighter and a purple color and is slightly smaller but if the opponent is caught in it it can be devastating due to the stun being pretty good.

So overall she has no real changes outside of Bair, neutral b, and DA so it fits in with echos being very very very slightly different from the original. She shares a similar if not almost exact frame to palutena and ALSO uses a staff. While at first glance the lack of a shield may hurt her it really dosent considering Palutenas animations work even if a shield isnt there since medusa does have a monster hand. She also can be seen as "palutenas dark corrupted sister" making her similar to dark pit.
Her playstyle is essentially the same however the stronger DA, back air, lack of intangibility and her stun move make her more fit for landing that stun and going for a hard punish with a smash, DA or bair. While Palu doesnt normally use fsmash or dsmash, medusa does have an easier time landing either of them due to the stun. Her bair and DA are also quite potent but she cant wall as well due to the lack of intangibilty.

Complete list of changes
> idle, intro, taunts, win poses, voice, and colors are different
> upsmash, side b, down b, neutral b, upair, fsmash, dsmash all have different visual effects
> Bair, DA and neutral b work very differently despite having the same animation

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Wait. A Bandana Dee amiibo was leaked?

Is the Kirby series even function as an amiibo line anymore? Didn't they just do one wave of those?

Does Star Allies have amiibo compatibility?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I checked Villagers page and it does indeed include the, "Other fighters from this series" line of code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom