• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So if Rayman lacks any connecting limbs,

How exactly is Snake going to put him in a chokehold... if he has no neck.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
If Medusa is in the game I think shes going to be a base game secret character. I dont see sakurai revealing her until after the game comes out.
Mostly cause I think he figures people might get upset about another KI character lol

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
When I first entered this thread I answered "7-8" on the poll for how many newcomers there would be, and I'm still in the same mindset. Even after Sakurai mentioned "not to expect too many characters", I think 8 is reasonable. Less than usual, but still a good number, I'm thinking 5 full characters and 3 Echoes. So 4 more full characters and 2 more Echoes.

If I were to guess who those characters would be I'd say:
1. Simon Belmont (I think enough information has come out to at least consider that Vergeben's leak is true)
2. Rayman (Nintendo and Ubisoft have been playing really chummy with each other, and he already sort of has his foot in the door)
3. Mimikyu (I know Pokemon already has a lot of representation, but next to Mario it really is Nintendo's bread and butter)
4. K. Rool or Ashley (as far as I can tell, these 2 are the most requested after Ridley. Could be one, could be both)

E1. Shadow (not necessarily because he hasn't been seen as an AT yet, but because Sonic is a popular franchise with a long history with Nintendo, Sega and Nintendo seem to be closer than ever, and Sonic is now a two time veteran, if any third party is going to get a second rep this time it's Sonic)
E2. I really don't know. Part of me wants to say Black Shadow because F-Zero is the only original franchise (not including Yoshi) that still only has one rep and part of me wants to say Medusa or Viridi because Sakurai obviously loves Kid Icarus.

I just don't think Dixie will be an Echo because the jetpack makes no sense for her. Sorry, I didn't mean to type this much.

Edit: I should point out that I left Inkling out of my thought process, partially because I forgot while typing this and partially because I had thought of the poll as "how many newcomers yet to be revealed" and I stumbled in after the original reveal trailer.

Last edited:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I swear if we get three FE characters who got in before their actual release before Lyn, The first international Lord of the franchise I'd be pissed.

That said, Edelgard's design isn't bad, but neither are most Lords'. It's their personality which really cements if someone likes a Lord or not.
Fire Emblem always favors Japan more.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
If I had to guess...

We get seven or eight true newcomers. An all time low for the franchise.

We'll get three to five echo newcomers.

Potentially, this could give us the smallest growth for the franchise so it fits with the statement.

I don't think one reveal every month will happen but I think that we will get at least three more unique newcomers revealed before launch.

I am confident we will have a secret newcomer or two. Sakurai loves those and when you're going to unlock the far majority of the roster, I feel having newcomers at the end would be a nice finale of sorts.
I’m feeling more along the lines of 7 new characters including echoes, so the roster is a complete 6 x 12 rectangle. (Unless echoes don’t get their own spot on the CSS, which is possible but unlikely, although miis/pokemon trainer are split apart in their numbers but take up only 1 spot in the css, while clones share the same number with their respective original counterpart.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Thing about Rayman are his hitboxes are gonna be janky as all hell.

It's going to be weird trying to find out what is and isn't a Rayman hitbox.
What is a Rayman hitbox: Rayman
What isn't a Rayman hitbox: Not Rayman

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
What is a Rayman hitbox: Rayman
What isn't a Rayman hitbox: Not Rayman
Some food for thought:
What if rayman assets were reused to make the Sukapon assist trophy? We know sukapon can attack and be grabbed/thrown, and has a disjointed body like rayman as well.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I’m feeling more along the lines of 7 new characters including echoes, so the roster is a complete 6 x 12 rectangle. (Unless echoes don’t get their own spot on the CSS, which is possible but unlikely, although miis/pokemon trainer are split apart in their numbers but take up only 1 spot in the css, while clones share the same number with their respective original counterpart.
I wouldn't try to base how many characters are left based on how many theoretical slots there are in the CSS. Even before the clone trio in Smash Wii U screwed things up the CSS was never evenly distributed. That's not something Sakurai cares about.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That said, Edelgard's design isn't bad, but neither are most Lords'. It's their personality which really cements if someone likes a Lord or not.
Betcha Edelgard becomes most popular irrespective of all three personalities.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Let's assume this is the case. My personal picks for this would be...

Newcomers
  1. Inkling
  2. Ridley
  3. Simon Belmont
  4. K.Rool
  5. Dixie Kong
  6. Rayman
  7. Captain Toad
  8. Ninten

Echo newcomers

1. Ken/Akuma
  2. Jeanne
  3. Octolings
  4. Chrom
  5. Black Shadow
Honestly, I want Black Shadow as well, solely so that I can recreate the Falcon Punch anime moment. I can even use Ryu as a replacement for Ryu Suzaku, since not only do they share the same name, but Ryu's former voice actor also did the voice for Ryu Suzaku.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Anyone got a link to Sakurai's quote about Smash 4 and not expecting too many newcomers?

My google-fu is not strong enough.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
This question is for everyone. I’m genuinely curious.

Who is one character you want more than all others, and who is one character you don’t want to make it on the roster?

No harsh words or offense. Just answers. Everyone has opinions.

My most wanted: Isabelle. A non-Echo, semi-clone, Isabelle.

My most unwanted: Rayman. I don’t know why honestly, but when I think of him in Smash, I almost cringe.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Anyone got a link to Sakurai's quote about Smash 4 and not expecting too many newcomers?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-03-new-super-smash-bros-wont-focus-on-bigger-roster
In terms of quantity, we've probably already reached the limit of what's feasible. I think a change of direction may be what's needed.
There is a certain dead end we come to if we just expand the volume of the game

?????????????

Smash Master

Who is one character you want more than all others, and who is one character you don’t want to make it on the roster?

My most unwanted: Rayman. I don’t know why honestly, but when I think of him in Smash, I almost cringe.
If you flip those, you have my answer.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

My most wanted: Boshi. Possibly as an Echo Fighter

My most unwanted: none. Closest was Midna and she was disconfirmed

?????????????

Smash Master
Are we sure on that? We see her use an axe, but we also see her asking whether she should train with swords or axes...
I’m 80% sure. She’s ABLE to do both, but her primary is the axe.

In contrast, the avatar’s primary is the sword, and the heads of the other two houses are the lance and bow.

...This all assuming the information on the Fire Emblem wiki being correct.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace

I want... the Bandana Dee of course.
I don't want Rayman either, his design is revulsing to me. Hopefully the time to reveal him or any third party has passed - I can't see them revealed in a mere Direct.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

It's in the E3 reveal, "We've made bringing every fighter back our goal so I'm kind of hoping you aren't expecting too many new challengers"

23 minutes if timestamp doesn't work

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
All this rating talk reminded me of ZSS's ending costumes. I'd hate it if they were gone. imo they're so much cooler than the Zero Suit.
We saw Shulk in his underwear. So hopefully they are safe.

However, if ZSS does lose her casual clothes then you can be pretty upset. Forget boob and butt nerfs, those awesome outfits will be ZSS's ultimate loss.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Most Wanted: Between Elma and Dixie, and not a ****ing echo dixie, keep it

Most unwanted: Rex and Pyra, Rex is annoying, pyra is bland and both of their designs are awful. And tbh I don't even think they'd play that interestingly or be that fun anyway.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's in the E3 reveal, "We've made bringing every fighter back our goal so I'm kind of hoping you aren't expecting too many new challengers"

He meant for Smash 4.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Betcha Edelgard becomes most popular irrespective of all three personalities.
Oh hell yeah. She's by far the most pretty.
That blonde blue-armor guy seems like he's going to get shafted hard.

Lyn. 15 years and counting of waiting.
Chrom. No more Awakening. I'm sick of it.
I’m 80% sure. She’s ABLE to do both, but her primary is the axe.

In contrast, the avatar’s primary is the sword, and the heads of the other two houses are the lance and bow.

...This all assuming the information on the Fire Emblem wiki being correct.
The FE Wiki knows as much as we do. This is the only FE16 news released. We don't know if she's primarily an axe user, but we do know she *can* use them, which sets her apart from the other Lords.

Also, notice her class is an Aristocrat (functionally a synonym) so that could hold some plot relevance like Ike being a Ranger.

?????????????

Smash Master
Most unwanted: Rex and Pyra, Rex is annoying, pyra is bland and both of their designs are awful. And tbh I don't even think they'd play that interestingly or be that fun anyway.
My best friend is a huge Xenoblade fan.

I believe his his exact words were, “Please, pick ANY Xenoblade character besides Rex. He is a plank. A screaming, obnoxious plank.”

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

Yes, sweetheart. I heard that one.

I wanted the Smash 4 quote.

Thanks though.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

Most wanted: I'd say Dark Matter for myself and only myself, but overall I think want Bandana Dee even more, I like Dark Matter more as a character but I really want the rest of the Bandana Dee fans to be happy this game.

Least wanted: Marx, I have nothing against the character himself but rather the potential timing of Marx, as of right now it feels like almost everything in Smash with Kirby has to do with Kirby Superstar or the other Sakurai games, I want to see them branch out with a character that isn't really his before we get Marx or anyone else like that. Bandana Dee (technically a KSS character but he really only began to become important in the remake which Sakurai didn't work on) and Dark Matter both fit the bill, but there's also other choices like Galacta Knight, Magolor, Susie, etc. Once a non-Sakurai Kirby character gets in though, I'm fine with him.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

My most wanted is Joker. The whole world and its sister knows that by now.

My most unwanted would be Steve. I don't want to acknowledge his positives, and you said no harsh words so I'll just leave it at that :p

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
My best friend is a huge Xenoblade fan.

I believe his his exact words were, “Please, pick ANY Xenoblade character besides Rex. He is a plank. A screaming, obnoxious plank.”
I mean, I'd personally consider Pyra to be the plank since she literally has no personality, Rex is ****ing annoying though. And he does scream a lot. Give me nia, morag or zeke over their annoying asses any day

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master

Most wanted: Shantae, Ashley, or Banjo (can't decide)

Most unwanted: Daisy and Pichu, but... I'll go with Jibanyan.

Alternative, out of left field most wanted: Oh my god, would I have loved to see Glover make it into Smash.

?????????????

Smash Master
I mean, I'd personally consider Pyra to be the plank since she literally has no personality, Rex is ****ing annoying though. And he does scream a lot. Give me nia, morag or zeke over their annoying ***** any day
I’ve never played Xenoblade 2, but you sound like my best friend. Except with more profanity.

...He’s never sweared a day in his life.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
My most wanted is Phoenix Wright. I don't expect him to get in, but it'd be nice if he did.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Most wanted: Isaac or Banjo

Most unwanted: Chrom or Rex & Pyra

Apologies to Opossum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom