• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I don't really understand how you can think it's an "expansion of Smash 4" considering the changes to the current characters, the stage list pushing 80 already, the changes to mechanics, and especially the new engine.
Mind you I'm not saying Ultimate isn't distinctive, my point is more that Ultra Street Fighter 4 was vastly different to Street Fighter 4 vanilla. I'm seeing this as a similar situation, and based entirely on the way they seem to be marketing the game they seem to be treating it like a similar situation too.

Am I being too conservative/cynical? Maybe. **** I hope I am.
I'm also trying to curb expectations as I'd hate to see people devastated if we don't get some 6+ newcomers and a bunch of echoes. Cause it really may not happen.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If the game only had 2 or 3 newcomers left.

I don't think Sakurai would have spoiled his biggest cards from the get go.

Everyone back, Inkling and Ridley from the get go?

And then only 2 or 3 people left?

Unless those other 2 or 3 were just as big plays as that?

It'd seem odd to throw your biggest cards in the deck out from the get go.

Last edited:

grizby2

Smash Lord
I honestly think the 3ds version was holding the wiiu version back by a lot. THIS is the game I was hoping smash 4 would be.
I also hope they'll be tacking some future dlc to this game!

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/420503887

"Reveal 1: Picks up immediately where the last one completes. Samus divekicks towards Ridley but he grabs her and slams her against the ground. He drops her and prepares to impale her with his claw, but it's stopped by a whip. Reveal Simon. Tagline is, "Simon Belmont whips up a storm!"

Reveal 2: Pikachu fights other characters on a stage (I think it's the new Pokemon Stadium). Reveal Mimikyu hiding behind some stage terrain, watching the battle. He hears everyone cheering for Pikachu as it defeats its opponents. Pikachu walks by Mimikyu's hiding spot, he pulls him into the darkness, you hear some cartoon fighting, and then Mimikyu pops out. Reveal is first, "Pikachu shocks the competition!" before the music stops and "Mimikyu scares up some fun!" is slapped over it.

Reveal 3: I don't know much about how this one works out other than that my friend said that it features Ashley and Shadow, seemingly as friends. Comedic one that plays on them both being kind of dark and brooding.

Reveal 4: King K. Rool beating up DK, Diddy, and Ness. Funky Kong bi-plane fires at him, then Funky Kong surfs into battle and stands alongside his pals. Something along the lines of, "Funky Kong makes some waves!"

Reveal 5: This one starts with footage from the Smash Bros Ultimate reveal where they kill Waluigi. We instead follow him down the abyss until he lands unceremoniously in mud. Long story short, he tries to get back into Smash by writing his name down as Geno. He finally appears, dressed haphazardly as Geno, in a Forest Maze-esque stage where he surprises Luigi, Pikachu, and Villager by popping out along with the tagline, "Geno strings up his foes!" The real Geno appears and immediately defeats him, and once again the tagline appears. Waluigi sulks in the dirt, until Luigi pulls him up, dusts him off. Tagline finally says, "Waluigi inches over the finish line!"

Very interesting leak. I like the idea of a sequential story for newcomer trailers.
Would love to see this become an actual thing, but Waluigi/Geno thing murders it. Too obviously fanfiction.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
With how hard Pokemon Co. and GameFreak are pandering gen one I wouldn't be surprised if there were no new Pokemon. They might've wanted Pkmn Trainer back over a gen 7 rep.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Remember, Sakurai said not to expect many newcomers for Smash 4 as well. I think it's reasonable to take his comment as a "less than Smash 4," but not less than Melee.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
My guess for newcomers would be Octolings and Shadow as 2 more Echo characters and five more unique characters:

1. Isabelle (face of Animal Crossing)
2. Captain Toad (appeared in 4 mainline 3D Marios and has his own spinoff)
3. Lycanroc or Mimikyu (7th gen looks to be the main focus in Ultimate)
4. Dixie Kong or King K. Rool (DK newcomers are highly requested worldwide)
5. Bandana Dee or Ashley (Japanese favorites)

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Ooooooh, let's think about THAT! Which 2-3 characters would be just as "big of plays" as Ridley and Inkling?

K. Rool comes to mind immediately...
If K. Rool and Ridley actually happen, Geno is the first person that comes to mind as the third age old fan favorite to get in.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Pokken, was anyone else unnecessarily hyped over the reveal of Pikachu Libre being added as an alt. for Pikachu? Honestly, I MIGHT have screamed a little. Granted, I know Pika Libre isn't a separate character like in Pokken, but I was still hyped nonetheless.
Not necessarily hyped, but it was a pleasant surprise considering Libre is currently only relevant through Pokken due to being unavailable for Gen. 7.
That, and Game Freak is usually very stingy on this sort of reference in Smash.

Polan

Smash Lord
People have to be careful for what they wish for.

"No cuts, bring everyone back. OR else you're disrespectful!"

Now, people are nervous about the prospect of very few newcomers.

- Their salvation is Sakurai.

He is a workaholic, sadly always unsatisfied and always motivated to sacrifice body, mind and countless days to come as close to perfection as he could.
Only because Sakurai is the director, we will get all past fighters and very possibly a nice amount of newcomers.

- The Ultimate Smash.
i mean i'm content with everyone coming back, especially the characters that were always on the chopping block. seeing all the people that wanted bayo, corrin, greninja, and cloud cut eating crow is honestly enough for me. just give me decidueye, elma and rayman and i'll be happier than i am right now. i really don't need or want for sakurai to kill himself making this game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm guessing there will be a pretty darn good amount of DLC! This game is being released earlier on the Switch lifespan, the developers now know that DLC works with Smash Bros., and they won't have to develop DLC for two versions of Smash Bros. simultaneously like they did before.
Yeee, agreed! My favourite aspect of the potential future DLC is it'll be all new, at least with characters. Probably all be original too (or at least cheaper/free if they're clones). I can only wonder what the ceiling for this game will be...

This whole time is reminding me of that as well.

Honestly, we just need to sit back and stop reading into Sakurai's words so much. He's made similar quotes to this before and done the exact opposite.

Sure this one might be the time to take him at his word, and if it is. That's fine. He's done alot for Smash already, but he's also the type who just keeps pushing him while at work. Trinen himself already acknowledged this fact in an interview about THIS game.
Even if you do take him at his word, it's still a pretty ambiguous statement. Fewer than normal newcomers could be anywhere from like four to fourteen, especially with clones involved. Who knows.

I mean 8 unique characters and 6 echoes like melee doesn't sound that unrealistic tbh
It seems a little high to me, but we'll see. You can't really discount any possibility with Sakurai but it seems if there were fourteen characters they could've spared revealing a third at E3. You'd still have ten left for the remaining six months.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
If the game only had 2 or 3 newcomers left.

I don't think Sakurai would have spoiled his biggest cards from the get go.

Everyone back, Inkling and Ridley from the get go?

And then only 2 or 3 people left?

Unless those other 2 or 3 were just as big plays as that?

It'd seem odd to throw your biggest cards in the deck out from the get go.
The game's biggest selling point is that everyone's back. Marketing wise, announcing all of them at once even though several of them are clearly using temp assets makes sense.

Marketing comes after characters, not the other way around. So let's say for argument's sake there are only three new characters. You've got to announce one alongside the title. Hence Inklings. E3 demands one. Hence Ridley. The game comes out in five months, so you announce the last character right before release. Makes complete sense to me.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Okay, VERY minor worry about potential Octolings I'm sure, but...

I feel like one of the reasons the 8 different Inklings have different ink colors is so that they don't get mixed up; like, there's a special role to the ink and that would conflict/get confusing if there was another Inkling in the same fight with the same color of ink.

Wouldn't that be a problem for Octolings unless they had 8 new and different ink colors? Or is this a complete non-issue?
Solution to that would be making Inkling and Octoling ink colors different. There are lots of options here. That signature Octoling dark purple is still available!

Current Inkling colors use Orange, Blue, Yellow, Lime, Pink, Turquoise, Purple and Blue. They would look similarish, but I'm sure the shades could look different enough that you couldn't confuse Inkling purple for Octoling dark purple.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
With how hard Pokemon Co. and GameFreak are pandering gen one I wouldn't be surprised if there were no new Pokemon. They might've wanted Pkmn Trainer back over a gen 7 rep.
Plus they basically added 3 new pokemon to this game, adding another one in may seem like overkill tbh

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
It seems a little high to me, but we'll see. You can't really discount any possibility with Sakurai but it seems if there were fourteen characters they could've spared revealing a third at E3. You'd still have ten left for the remaining six months.
With unlocks being a bigger thing again, maybe he'd want to keep some of them secret, reveal 5/4 unique characters before launch and then have 3/4 be secret. I'd actually like that a lot tbh. Then they can just reveal echoes on the site or have them be secret too.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I think one of the craziest things about the Smash Ultimate reveal is that they just gave us the entire veteran roster from the start. For past Smash games, they always slowly trickled veteran reveals over the months leading up to the game. This time they just dumped everything on us. What could this possibly mean for the next 6 months?

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
In fairness, part of the reason that Gen 1 is represented so hard in Ultimate is because that's just how Pokemon characters have always been in Smash. 2/3 of all Pokemon in Smash are from Gen 1, that's just the way it is. We still have Pichu, Lucario, and Greninja though, so it's not like it'll be Gen 1 full stop.
Mimikyu being an Echo of Pikachu makes no sense at all, it's Ghost/Fairy.
They also don't have a similar physique.

Really their only similarities are that Mimikyu has Pikachu as its fake face, and it can learn thunderbolt.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
With unlocks being a bigger thing again, maybe he'd want to keep some of them secret, reveal 5/4 before launch and then have 3/4 be secret. I'd actually like that a lot tbh.
Right, some probably won't get officially revealed pre-release, but if you reduce those numbers it's not like that stops making sense.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I think one of the craziest things about the Smash Ultimate reveal is that they just gave us the entire veteran roster from the start. For past Smash games, they always slowly trickled veteran reveals over the months leading up to the game. This time they just dumped everything on us. What could this possibly mean for the next 6 months?
6 months of trickling out the same information via the website blog.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Can we just appreciate all the villains we have in the roster now?

True Villains:
:4bowser::4ganondorf::wolf::4bowserjr:(:4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig:)Ridley

Have Been Antagonists But Aren't True Villains
:4metaknight::4dedede::4wario2::4mewtwo::4darkpit:

We got a pretty good amount here.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
6 months of trickling out the same information via the website blog.
That's also a fear of mine. I had typed something out in that same post about how they're rehashing the same information we already have (at least so far) but I didn't like the way it was worded so I deleted it :p Hopefully they sprinkle some new stuff in there too, even if its just items, costumes, assist trophies, etc.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

True Villains:
:4bowser::4ganondorf::wolf::4bowserjr:(:4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig:)Ridley

Wolf is more of an anti-hero than a true villain, he's helped fox out here and there.

Sidenote, It's really cool that we finally have Bowser, Ganondorf and Ridley all in, they're like the 3 main big bads of nintendo. K Rool would be dope in that sense too

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, I'm content with the roster as is, anything else from here on is icing on the cake.

Granted, I'd like some old stages back(Fountain of Dreams and Poke Floats because I'm a terrible person), so at this point, new stage reveals have me more interested.

ridleystan

Smash Cadet

True Villains:

i know it's so awesome! i'm glad they're shedding light on more characters from across different games

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

True Villains:

idkkkkk

needs more reptilian monarchs with asynchronous ocular protrusions

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
You know what, I'm 99% sure when DLC starts to happen, I'm sure Sakurai will end up adding Edelgard to the game (same reason that Corrin got in).
I definitely think she has a really good shot at DLC too! She seems to have the most focus in the new Fire Emblem going by the trailer. Here's hoping she uses her axe!

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you here, but didn't they do 3 reveals or are you not counting Daisy?

I agree that 14 unique newcomers seems like a stretch. But 14 combined between uniques and echoes doesn't seem too far-fetched, especially with an 8:6 ratio.

With unlocks being a bigger thing again, maybe he'd want to keep some of them secret, reveal 5/4 unique characters before launch and then have 3/4 be secret. I'd actually like that a lot tbh. Then they can just reveal echoes on the site or have them be secret too.
Yeah, I doubt Sakurai reveals everyone before launch as that just seems uncharacteristic of him. We did have 3 SSB4 newcomers revealed post-release (Duck Hunt, Bowser Jr and Dark Pit), so we could maybe expect a similar number.

Interestingly though, the big cards have consistently been revealed pre-release aside from Mewtwo and Ganondorf in Melee (ignoring DLC for obvious reasons).

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I can't wait for the new Smash Ultimate Icons to be added to the boards. A lot of the Ultimate icons are super dynamic. It makes them a lot cooler.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wolf is more of an anti-hero than a true villain, he's helped fox out here and there.
Once, unless you count Command ****ery.

Most of the time he's a villain. Moreover, the new Star Fox continuity cements him as a villain again.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I've all but given up the character's chances of getting in after Sakurai's last public statement on the character.
Just gonna say real quick that I don't think I've ever been happier to be so utterly wrong about something.

On that note, not really sure who else to anticipate of the likely few remaining newcomers. Well, with at least one exception....and I'll get to that right now:

How many of you here expect a Pokemon newcomer at this point? I peresonally always thought it was all but guaranteed. Even now, I still have a good amount of faith that we'll see one on the base roster.

?????????????

Smash Master
Back in late 2008/early 2009 when I started Smash 4 speculation...

I had an idea for the "story mode sequel for Subspace Emissary," and within it, one of my team-ups was Meowth, Wario, and Samurai Goroh, where Wario and Goroh were Meowth's hired bodyguards.

...Just the talk of villains reminded me of that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom