• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
This question is for everyone. I’m genuinely curious.

Who is one character you want more than all others, and who is one character you don’t want to make it on the roster?

No harsh words or offense. Just answers. Everyone has opinions.

My most wanted: Isabelle. A non-Echo, semi-clone, Isabelle.

My most unwanted: Rayman. I don’t know why honestly, but when I think of him in Smash, I almost cringe.
Fiora’s my absolute most wanted. Thankfully they uh randomly got that out of the way quickly by adding her to Shulk’s FS. After her, Elma.

Least wanted is probably Master Chief.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

Who is one character you want more than all others, and who is one character you don’t want to make it on the roster?

My most unwanted: Rayman. I don’t know why honestly, but when I think of him in Smash, I almost cringe.
Most wanted: Rabbid Mario

Most unwanted: ...can't really think of anyone I'm openly against. I guess Ashley?

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
Considering that on average we get about 18 newcomers per game, it wouldn't be too unreasonable to think that Sakurai's quote refer to, maybe, 6-7 or even 10 newcomers.

I mean, it's way less compared to any other Smash.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly I'm pretty much game for anyone.

There aren't many characters I'd be upset about.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
with ivysaur back i suppose decidueye may not be needed anymore however i'd like to have him in the game as playable. honestly any other pokemon would be fine. except for mimikyu. he's better off being a pokeball pokemon.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Fiora’s my absolute most wanted. Thankfully they uh randomly got that out of the way quickly by adding her to Shulk’s FS. After her, Elma.

Least wanted is probably Master Chief.
I'm lowkey annoyed by Fiora in this game tbh, literally what is the point of tacking her on to shulk's final smash? she's on screen for a second and the camera isn't altered to even show her and chain attacks are only supposed to include 3 people which kinda messes up the reference

Like it's nice to have a quality model for her but they couldn't make her an assist instead? At least someone will be able to mod her in with that model eventually which is cool

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace

My most wanted WAS Ridley, probably is K. Rool now because Ridley and all Veterans are returning. The Kroc has so many potential abilities for a fun moveset, I would really like to see him implemented. Another long shot that I would really like is bub/bob from bubble bobble, bubble based chibi dragon fighters who are retro and are owned by square enix.

Most unwanted? That's a tricky one... But I really wouldn't like the idea of a third mario (paper mario) or another sword wielding fire emblem character (like chrom). Personality wise, Rex is really whiny and Pyra is really bland and I'm not a huge fan of their characters either.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Honestly I'm pretty much game for anyone.

There aren't many characters I'd be upset about.
I feel this. I openly say I don't want Steve but I'd understand his inclusion and would get over it. I'd even play him if I thought he was fun. At this point I'm happy with the roster we already have and anyone else, whether I like them or not, is just more icing on the cake. Can't really be upset about that.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
I'm lowkey annoyed by Fiora in this game tbh, literally what is the point of tacking her on to shulk's final smash? she's on screen for a second and the camera isn't altered to even show her and chain attacks are only supposed to include 3 people which kinda messes up the reference of his final smash

Like it's nice to have a quality model for her but they couldn't make her an assist instead? At least someone will be able to mod her in with that model eventually which is cool
There’s only three characters in a chain attack anyways, like, it’s the weirdest most pointless change to his set. I thought playable was a long shot but yea assist would have been fine, or even change the FS to just be Shulk and Fiora, maybe with Reyn or Dunban if they really want a third.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I was wishing in my heart of hearts that Daisy would get in as her Mario Strikers incarnation.

Really dial up that tomboy factor to 11.

(Also, the "hot stuff" taunt)

Last edited:

Polan

Smash Lord
First, point to me where I said Decidueye fans only wanted Decidueye for being a Grass Starter.

Second....
Are you honestly going to try to tell me, as someone who has been here to WITNESS IT HAPPEN, that Decidueye didn't start getting traction long before its design was even leaked and was only known in theory as "Rowlet 3rd Stage" when Sun/Moon were announced for the SAME EXACT reason Sceptile did?

And are you honestly going to try to tell me that Decidueye would still have been this hyped up deal for Smash if we had the full Pokémon Trainer set in Smash 4, or Greninja was a Grass type instead of a Water type?

If "yes" to either, you are completely delusional.
I'm not saying there wouldn't be people who would've still liked the concept enough to want it in Smash, but it DEFINITELY wouldn't have been as big of a name in the Smash community as it had been. Not even close.

If you can't grasp that that was the point I was making and/or refuse to accept that fact, that's on you.
decidueye gained traction when its design was leaked. i don't know what quarters of the internet you were prowling in, but no one was asking for rowlet's third evolution before decidueye leaked because we didn't ****ing know what it looked like. and yes even if the pokemon trainer was in 4 or if greninja was a grass type, people would have still asked for decidueye. it has a cool design and a typing not seen in smash (grass ghost), a lot of moveset potential and a very popular pre-evolution. dunno why you think that people only want decidueye because its a grass type. that's ignorant af.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
There’s only three characters in a chain attack anyways, like, it’s the weirdest most pointless change to his set. I thought playable was a long shot but yea assist would have been fine, or even change the FS to just be Shulk and Fiora, maybe with Reyn or Dunban if they really want a third.
If they really had to put her in his final smash they could've put her at the end using final cross to deliver the final blow at least, not just stick her in so you can barely see her. And why just fiora anyway? where's reyn, melia and sharla? they may have well thrown them in too if they're going full fanservice.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
I was hoping for another character reveal after the invitational tournament; I was wrong. "sigh" Oh well, a month isn't too far to have another character reveal.

DoomguyforSmashUltimate.jpeg

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If they really had to put her in his final smash they could've put her at the end using final cross to deliver the final blow at least, not just stick her in so you can barely see her. And why just fiora anyway? where's reyn, melia and sharla? they may have well thrown them in too if they're going full fanservice.
My dream final Smash for Shulk is the entire cast reciting Dunban's Blossom Dance speech, except for the end, it's Shulk yelling "Monado BUSTAH"

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman

My Most wanted: Sora (I can dream) and I'd also like Banjo & Kazooie those two games and zelda were my childhood

My Most unwanted: The Rhythm heaven chorus kids, I just find it a dumb idea (same as Isabelle and Rayman)

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Food for thought: If there were ever a character with a stealth ability (like the melee cloaking item), would they be really strong if not broken for competitive play? Because competitive play in smash bros is all about your opponent visually telegraphing their movements and intentions. If you couldn't see your opponents movements or actions, how would you counterplay them? Even if the stealth was somewhat flawed, it would be an issue to counterplay against.

D

Deleted member

Most wanted: Should be pretty obvious, but it's Decidueye.
Least wanted: Mimikyu. The only character inclusio that would absolutely kill my hype for the game if it happened.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I was wishing in my heart of hearts that Daisy would get in as her Mario Strikers incarnation.

Really dial up that tomboy factor to 11.

(Also, the "hot stuff" taunt)
I missed that game! I was having so much fun playing Strikers with my best friend during the Wii time. We were like trading 'blows' with each other.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I'm not going to stop people from being happy about no cuts + all returning veterans, but this means that when the inevitable cuts happen they'll hit harder. The roster is snowballing, after the quasi-Nintendo renaissance of the Switch, there will be a ton of new content to add in sequels. Sakurai got lucky with the near-drought of 2014-2016 to where it was more pleasing to just bring back old fighters rather than scrounge through a few uneventful years for content.

Plus, not every game can have the shock of everyone returning, it wouldn't exactly be a selling point as much as it is now. The reason "Everyone is Here!" works for Ultimate is because these are characters who have been MIA in Smash for 1-2 decades, or were passed over by the public in Smash 4 because of the Wii U's failure. By the time the next Smash rolls around, everyone who bought Ultimate will have already experienced basically all of the series' content and will want more. While it's not immediate, cuts will happen, and I'm just worried that people will get too attached to this concept of "no cuts". At some point it is unfeasible.

Ultimate will be fun and satisfying, but be prepared for a potential reboot or at least a sequel that doesn't prioritize veterans near as much as new content.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Character I wanted the most was Takamaru, but he's a bust, so now it's definitely Sora from Kingdom Hearts.

Character I don't want? Oh, there's so many. But anyone who's not Tails or Knuckles from the Sonic series, I suppose.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
with ivysaur back i suppose decidueye may not be needed anymore however i'd like to have him in the game as playable. honestly any other pokemon would be fine. except for mimikyu. he's better off being a pokeball pokemon.
I don't think Decidueye was ever necessarily "needed" tbh.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
It's possible they change colors this time around. So maybe red and blue coins will also appear. Otherwise it's a really strange change.
They're the regional coins from the Metro kingdom.

All regional coins in Odyssey are purple.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Most wanted: Anyone. Seriously Sakurai could add a paint brush as a Mario Paint rep and I'd be all:

Least wanted: No one. Seriously if someone kills your hype for this game. Reassess your priorities and perhaps think about how it's a game and one character isn't going to ruin an experience for you.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Ultimate will be fun and satisfying, but be prepared for a potential reboot or at least a sequel that doesn't prioritize veterans near as much as new content.

To be fair this entire thing has had the aura of a "swan song", finale sort of thing. If this were the last Smash game in a while, a long while, and maybe even the last Sakurai worked on, I wouldn't be surprised.

I also wouldn't be mad, sad maybe.

But if the next smash is a reboot I'd actually be very interested in seeing where they go with it.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
decidueye gained traction when its design was leaked. i don't know what quarters of the internet you were prowling in, but no one was asking for rowlet's third evolution before decidueye leaked because we didn't ****ing know what it looked like. and yes even if the pokemon trainer was in 4 or if greninja was a grass type, people would have still asked for decidueye. it has a cool design and a typing not seen in smash (grass ghost), a lot of moveset potential and a very popular pre-evolution. dunno why you think that people only want decidueye because its a grass type. that's ignorant af.
Nobody knew it was really his actual proper 3rd form. Many didn't believe it.

He didn't actually gain any real traction at all till the actual reveal that it was real. And even then, yes, a good chunk of it was "we need a Grass type".

Obviously, as noted before, Decidueye absolutely has fans who want it for who it is, not some asinine niche to fill. Albeit, the "archer" thing isn't really a niche to fill, that's a legitimate unused moveset, but it's also a niche that Sakurai has looked into, as character archtypes are a thing he has interest in.

Nobody knew any of his moves either, btw, till we saw the reveal. That's when the leaked information was useful. Till then? It was just a rumor people didn't know what to think of. He couldn't have gotten any real fans with leaked but unproven images. That's not realistically possible.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom