• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Also Snake vs Cloud in the background of the Treehouse on the monitor.

That match up.

Two major Playstation 1 icons fighting.

Something Sony failed to do in Allstars Royale.

Crazy to see in Smash.
Now imagine if Crash was announced as a newcomer...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Also Snake vs Cloud in the background of the Treehouse on the monitor.

That match up.

Two major Playstation 1 icons fighting.

Something Sony failed to do in Allstars Royale.

Crazy to see in Smash.
Still funny. Now all in one game. :D

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Five more non-Echo Newcomers would make 70 fighters.

Including Inkling and Ridley this would be 7 non-Echo newcomers.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
There's no penalty for playing as just Charizard though, you just don't have Rock Smash.
I know, it was a joke. That's why I clarified below.

Xander himself confirmed he was back.

I am a happy man.
Preliminary call- Pokemon trainer is going to be really strong on release
The fact that transformations are nearly instant and there's no pokemon strength decay is going to do wonders for this character. I think 3 movesets makes this character really strong as long as the data is even mediocre on all 3 individually, because charizard's has amazing endurance, Ivysaur appears to have a great grab game, and squirtle appears to have very good aerials.

Also Xander is back.
I certainly hope that Pokemon Trainer is good. I feel like having 3 characters instead of two is a big boon for PT, and also having a lightweight, and mid-weight, and a heavyweight does wonders for the variability of PT. So with Squirtle you have speed and mobility, with Ivysaur you have range and grabs, and with Charizard you have power and survivability. I think that's right. It has been years.

The best thing is aerial switching and quick switching, without a doubt. Now I don't have to wait 3000 years to switch between pokemon anymore, and I won't constantly die offstage when playing as Ivysaur! I hope they improve Ivy's d-air though, it'd be nice to have more recovery options.

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
So basically this game is gonna have every character and every stage that's been in the series so far, there's only 20-something stages left after all. I'm getting the feeling this is the last smash game tbh, I mean how do you possibly top a game like that, that's also literally called "ultimate" lmao
I doubt very much there will be a "last Smash game" in the foreseeable future. That's akin to suggesting there'll be a "last Mario Kart". Questioning whether or not a new Smash will come out in the Brawl days seemed warranted, but it's clear Nintendo has a grasp on what will sell their consoles.

That this Smash in particular is a celebration of Smash in general might bode ill for some - they've gotta include every one of the things if this is the end, right? - I simply take it to mean they're not messing around with the Switch and they're doing everything they can to make it their best-selling console ever.

Sakurai's role in the future of the game seems tenuous, but given 8-10 years (easily leaning toward 8, minimum, after Ultimate - and I recall reading Nintendo wants the Switch to last at least until the end of the "Next gen" of consoles, so roughly this amount of time) there will be plenty of new IPs and tech advancements that we'll be yearning for a new Smash. It's not hard to conceive of routes they could take to make the next installment seem fresh and essential. The idea of the roster being themed around certain concepts has gained a lot of traction - heroes vs. villains, total inclusion from all previous games, etc - I suspect a themed roster will be something we could look forward to. Taking underrepresented franchises (1-2 reps) and simply adding 1 more from each of them would make for a popular and sensible new roster for the next game, just as one example.

There's also no limit on new tech options that will emerge or existing ones that can be tweaked. The pseudo-wavelanding I've been seeing in some videos and some of the flashy stylistic changes are great.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
One thing I’m wondering about, does the new perfect shield mechanic allow you to punish Limit Cross Slash on shield, if you perfect shield the last hit?
Probably. It might be punishable without perfect shield based on how nerfed Cloud sounds honestly. I'm sure perfect shield will at least open up a punish of some kind.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
So, I made the list of Every Final Smash we didn't see or have no clue about-

• Yoshi
  • Captain Falcon
  • Luigi
  • Peach
  • Daisy
  • Young Link
  • Meta Knight
  • Dark Pit
  • Diddy Kong
  • Lucario
  • R.O.B
  • Wolf
  • WiiFit Trainer
  • Greninja
  • Duck Hunt
  • Robin

Ahem, time to continue my conspiracy to point out something else, another oddities. Every Fighters video were here to show what makes those fighters unique...Right? However, when a Fighters had another "guest" character with him for a final smash, the Final Smash was shown.
    Megaman, Ness, Lucas, Shulk... Except for Robin where him having Chrom in his Final Smash was normally one of his selling point-

Here, take some Original Meme for that-

View attachment 148152
The Awakening trio would make me so happy, c'mon Sakurai it's Chrom time

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
The Feels

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Ridley has 8 skins already, not including his Meta skin:

Could it be the meta form just has one skin? Or does it have multiple pallet swaps of the meta form...
Little mac only has one wireframe and one wireframe with hoodie and then the rest of his normal alt costumes and the pink hoodie so my guess would be Meta Ridley will be a single costume and not repeated with multiple colors cause macs wireframe colors were cut (from the demo anyway)

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

I'm betting on 9 more fighters for a total of 75 fighters. That's a nice, marketable number. I'd guess this is 5 non-Echo Fighters (for an official count of 70 fighters) and then 4 Echo Fighters (for an actual count of 77 fighters).

The question then becomes who are our newcomers then?

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Oh, he's most definitely getting a new Final Smash if what Sakurai said was true. My bet is on the Mega Eggdozer...
What is that, some kind of Eggman/Robotnik machine? Naw, I'm just playing with you there!

It's fine as long as as there's other relevant text within the message. We want people to be hyped. Just not spammy.
Here goes nothing!

Hope you all like it!

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
We have to remember that no one is use to dash cancelling in SSBU. You still have Leo and Zero running up to shield all of the time. I'm am just glad they nerfed air dodging ( you only get 1 air-dodge) and rolling (biggest QOL). Now players won't be able to just mindlessly use defensive options. Everyone seems faster and have much less lag (IKE SEEMS VERY PROMISING). Sheik seems busted according to people (yay). Even though I PERSONALLY dislike Ridley in smash; I was happy for the people who continued to support him even at the brink of defeat and that Sakurai actually CARED for his fans in such a way that he took on the challenge of making Ridley playable (could have just ignored him again).

The fact that stage hazards can be turned off along with all the other aforementioned changes makes SSBU a promising game.

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
The Feels
Feels like he made this as a straight tribute to Iwata. It's very emotional.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Just five more characters would be enough to satisfy me. I'm content with the selection of Pokémon, Mario, and Metroid characters, so if we could just get another Zelda and DK character, I'd be 100% happy with this game's roster.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Jeez. I knew the Smashboards forums would be blown up after this announcement, but not 45 pages per day blown up.

Anyhow, like in that poll up above, I'd definitely prefer if we got about 17 newcomers and 3 DLC characters max. The most important newcomers being Waluigi, King K. Rool, and Bandana Dee, imo.

The top 3 DLC I want/expect are Rayman, Banjo, and Shantae.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Anyhow, like in that poll up above, I'd definitely prefer if we got about 17 newcomers and 3 DLC characters max. The most important newcomers being Waluigi, King K. Rool, and Bandana Dee, imo.

The top 3 DLC I want/expect are Rayman, Banjo, and Shantae.
Well since Sakurai said that we should expect less newcomers, i'm guessing that we're gonna get 10-12 newcomers this time around.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think Sakurai's statement was simply ''Don't expect 18 or 20 newcomers."

Or ''Don't expect me to double it like I always do."

But we'll see.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

But we'll see.
Last time Sakurai said something like he was "reaching the upper limit on how many characters can be added", then added 21 new characters. So...

That said, I do think we'll receive a reduced amount of newcomers.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Now imagine if Simon Belmont also makes it. Haha.
I hope Crash comes walking by cuz they deserve it what a terrible imitation with no heart.

But yeah then Simon comes out of nowhere and fist bumps Snake.

But then Cloud sees someone over the horizon and whistles to them...

Who is it?

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I can understand not expecting more DLC than 4 but how can anyone reasonably expect less?

If we are only getting a few newcomers for the base roster then whats the best way to correct that? DLC. DLC in 4 was also largly successful. Why would they settle for less when they know they can make plenty more?

I expect at least as many DLC characters as 4. Maybe exactly the same amount. But 3? Nooooo chance. Unless, Sakurai just releases the game and completely drops it there. We get so much as a single patch and you better bet DLC is on its way.

D

Deleted member

Still funny. Now all in one game. :D
This has always made me chuckle.

But we'll see.
I think they'll just try to hit around 70 and leave it at that. So, 4-6 more newcomers seems sensible imo.

As I said before, characters that placed high in the ballots like K.Rool and Isaac seem like safe picks.

Jalil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JeMaraj
Of course I'm still hype but the new knockback system just seems horrible with no redeeming qualities. Not being able to run through characters is also pretty bad. I'm not tryna sound ungrateful but they seem like changes made just to shake things up and stop people from looking at ssbu as smash 4.5 and I hope things change upon release

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
This has always made me chuckle.

I think they'll just try to hit around 70 and leave it at that. So, 4-6 more newcomers seems sensible imo.

As I said before, characters that placed high in the ballots like K.Rool and Isaac seem like safe picks.
This might be a reach but Mii Costume fighters are probably a good feel of who missed the mark and were high on the ballot.

Lastly I might stay on here longer than I usually do this time around maybe once the game comes out I can find some sparring partners on here. :)

Last edited:

TonyMyOnly

Smash Apprentice
Of course I'm still hype but the new knockback system just seems horrible with no redeeming qualities. Not being able to run through characters is also pretty bad. I'm not tryna sound ungrateful but they seem like changes made just to shake things up and stop people from looking at ssbu as smash 4.5 and I hope this changes upon release
"NO ITS A PORT REEEEEEE"

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Its possible that the reason one newcomer was annouced at E3 is likely that theres so fewer newcomers that sakurai just wants to spread there reveals further instead showing most of them all at once

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Its possible that the reason one newcomer was annouced at E3 is likely that theres so fewer newcomers that sakurai just wants to spread there reveals further instead showing most of them all at once
I agree with this, I think we will only have 4-6 more newcomers, and then a few more echo fighters.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I see at most 10 newcomers being revealed before release. Giving us 12 newcomers for this game. Respectable number since not a lot happened throughout the last gen and early Switch era.

Echo fighter don’t really count as seperate characters, so I can see a couple more of those.

Last edited:

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Sakurai's statement isn't why I'm tempering my expectations in terms of the number of newcomers. We only got 1 new nonecho character revealed at E3. We usually get 3 and have gotten as many as 5 before.

There are a few different ways we can interpret this:
1.) They want to save a bunch for in game surprises.
2.) They want to reveal a new commer periodically between now and smash's release
3.) There aren't that many newcommers.

While 1 would be awesome, it doesn't seem like how Nintendo has been marketing things lately. Generally, there are very few surprises by the time a game comes out. Smash 4 for example I think only had Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, Duck Hunt, and Bowser Jr as surprises.

2 is possible. I certainly think we'll get some (1 or 2) more character reveals before release. However we've never known them to do anything crazy like show one character a month leading up to a smash release. I recognize that Sakurai is the king of going against previously established convention but I think expecting him to do so in a particular instance is still far more likely to mislead you.

Thus 3 seems the most likely to me. Especially since adding more characters really most become more difficult the more characters there are. As such I'm expecting 4-5 nonecho nonrevealed newcommers. That would leave 2-3 for when we buy the game and 2 for reveals between now and then.

D

Deleted member

Of course I'm still hype but the new knockback system just seems horrible with no redeeming qualities. Not being able to run through characters is also pretty bad. I'm not tryna sound ungrateful but they seem like changes made just to shake things up and stop people from looking at ssbu as smash 4.5 and I hope this changes upon release
I agree, I don't like how tanky all the characters are. Last night you saw characters living up well past 120% left and right, and with rage added into the mix, this makes the game less fun to play competitively, as it makes things more chance based thanks to having Rage as a comeback mechanics. It's too late now, but I do wish Sakurai had done away with it. Honestly, with the Final Smashes rebalanced, I would have much preferred a mode where you get a free Final Smash on your last stock as a comeback mechanic. It makes those viable as super moves now, as now they're way more fair, and they're a much better balanced comeback mechanic than Rage, which can stack a lead actually thanks to the stock system.

I just hope momentum came back, it was hard to tell from the footage. It seems like it has though. We'll see.

This might be a reach but Mii Costume fighters are probably a good feel of who missed the mark and were high on the ballot.

Lastly I might stay on here longer than I usually do this time around maybe once the game comes out I can find some sparring partners on here. :)
That seems sensible to me. My gut also tells me we'll be seeing Rayman make the cut as well.

I hope Crash comes walking by cuz they deserve it what a terrible imitation with no heart.

But yeah then Simon comes out of nowhere and fist bumps Snake.

But then Cloud sees someone over the horizon and whistles to them...

Who is it?
There can be only one:

Edit: Image link keeps breaking.

It's supposed to be Sephiroth

Last edited by a moderator:

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
I was worried when Sakurai don't expect many newcomers we were only getting the 3 we already got. Is it for sure we are getting more? Literally the only character I want now is a new dk rep.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I see at most 10 newcomers being revealed before release. Giving us 12 newcomers for this game. Respectable number since not a lot happened throughout the last gen and early Switch era.
yeah 12 is a great amount and 12 newcomers would parallel smash 64's 12 characters which is also this game's starting roster. Hopefully they wouldn't reveal too many though, at least 4 secret newcomers would be neat

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom