• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Ridley has 8 skins already, not including his Meta skin:

Could it be the meta form just has one skin? Or does it have multiple pallet swaps of the meta form...
idk if anyone else pointed it out, but I wonder if the orange skin with purple wings is a nod to a certain cartoon series... it was probably just a coincidence though, but it's hilarious

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
This mech game kinda looks like the mech figure that Sakurai bought.

Is it a Nintendo IP?
it is a nintendo ip but it's WAY too new to expect anything from it, the mech figure likely references the skells from Xenoblade X, whather that means a character or not is yet to be seen though I guess

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Remember when we all agreed that after E3 the discussion about this game being or not a port would be finally over ?
I was and still am in the "Not a port" team.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The mech game is published by Nintendo, but it's not a Nintendo IP. Check the copyright, they own nothing.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
By the way, what are the odds that Sakurai may choose not to add a character from the ballot, even if that character had a high amount of votes and was way up there on it (the ballot)?

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
By the way, what are the odds that Sakurai may choose not to add a character from the ballot, even if that character had a high amount of votes and was way up there on it (the ballot)?
Really high, I think if it didn't happen, Bayonetta wouldn't have that "among realizable characters" disclaimer.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I dunno, I really feel like Sakurai and Nintendo have been making a big deal about saying "THIS is the roster". I wouldn't be surprised if there was a trick or two, but I really just don't see 5+ more characters being added. Also saying "Sakurai just means 'don't expect 20 characters' " seems like a good way to get disappointed. They're showing this game very differently than in the past, and really trying to emphasize that the "gimmick" of this game is that everyone is back. I really just don't think expecting 8-12 characters is a good thing to expect. I'm worried this thread is gonna get super salty when the full roster is revealed 100%. I hope not though. :/

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
High. If he feels that individual to not have potential for a unique moveset.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Really high, I think if it didn't happen, Bayonetta wouldn't have that "among realizable characters" disclaimer.
High. If he feels that individual to not have potential for a unique moveset.
Wow, now that's scary. Imagine how fans would react if their wanted character did not get in, even if they were high on the ballot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Remember when we all agreed that after E3 the discussion about this game being or not a port will be finally over ?
I was and still am in the "Not a port" team.
It's been confirmed to not be a port. However, it's very obvious the game's engine and assets are heavily recycling stuff from 4. A lot of how the game plays as well is very similar to 4. It's faster and updated, but many elements of it feel like an enhanced version of 4. So it's not a port persay, but it is most certainly building off the last game.

Your guess is as good as anyone elses' Dunno what you want anyone to tell you. No one here know Sakurai personally. I'd say odds are very high he'll rely heavily on the ballot for his picks, all things considered though.

Is it a Nintendo IP?
The mech design reminded me a lot of Xenoblade X.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
So who thinks Simon is still coming? I think that since it seems like he was wrong about the Konami game(s) (I think he said 2 games, right) he's wrong about Simon, too.
I think it's very possible he's wrong.

There's also a chance that he's also correct though.

When I saw that Bomberman AT... I was a bit more sold on Belmont being playable...

But it's also possible that Belmont is just entirely left out of the game.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I dunno, I really feel like Sakurai and Nintendo have been making a big deal about saying "THIS is the roster". I wouldn't be surprised if there was a trick or two, but I really just don't see 5+ more characters being added. Also saying "Sakurai just means 'don't expect 20 characters' " seems like a good way to get disappointed. They're showing this game very differently than in the past, and really trying to emphasize that the "gimmick" of this game is that everyone is back. I really just don't think expecting 8-12 characters is a good thing to expect. I'm worried this thread is gonna get super salty when the full roster is revealed 100%. I hope not though. :/
Yeah, I think people expecting a nice 10+ newcomers not counting echo fighters might be in for a rough ride but oh well we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

Zeox

Smash Champion
>Sakurai says to not expect too many characters to keep the dreams small.
>secretly add so many newcomers that it gets to 100 characters.
>they are all announcement suddenly at the same time, the same day, in a surprise stream.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Your guess is as good as anyone elses' Dunno what you want anyone to tell you. No one here know Sakurai personally. I'd say odds are very high he'll rely heavily on the ballot for his picks, all things considered though.
Yeah, I can see that. I just hope Sakurai doesn't turn down a few fan favorites who had a high amount of votes on the ballot and not include them for whatever reason, especially my wanted character, K. Rool. Still, I can see him using the ballot for characters like you said. Just how many is the question.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
But this is still supposed to be a brand new game, adding 5 newcomers and calling it a day is probably gonna rub people the wrong way since newcomers are what people want and are looking forward too, 8 unique characters like what melee had seems like a good minimum imo.

D

Deleted member

I think that disclaimer was more to address ridiculous picks like Goku or Shrek, that likely got many votes. I think in terms of viablity in terms of play, at this point, Sakurai has proven that you can pretty much make anyone work. None of the top picks are any more complex or weird than what's already in the game.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
it is a nintendo ip but it's WAY too new to expect anything from it, the mech figure likely references the skells from Xenoblade X, whather that means a character or not is yet to be seen though I guess
I just realized that since final smashes are more straight foward and cinematic that could be a good sign for a certain character that pilots a skell

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
>they are all announcement suddenly at the same time, the same day, in a surprise stream.
The former Smash Bros. Infinite team is sweating bullets right now.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY HAVE 100 CHARACTERS?! THAT WAS OUR THING!"

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Heh heh! Wouldn't be surprised if that happened. If I recall correctly, Sakurai is known for trolling fans, no? If he still does that, I can imagine this being the case.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I can understand not expecting more DLC than 4 but how can anyone reasonably expect less?

If we are only getting a few newcomers for the base roster then whats the best way to correct that? DLC. DLC in 4 was also largly successful. Why would they settle for less when they know they can make plenty more?

I expect at least as many DLC characters as 4. Maybe exactly the same amount. But 3? Nooooo chance. Unless, Sakurai just releases the game and completely drops it there. We get so much as a single patch and you better bet DLC is on its way.
Yea, that’s something I don’t want to happen.

DLC isn’t going to solve all the problems since people are going to suspect that they left a majority of the newcomers from the base roster to add as DLC. Plus Sakurai tries to add in as much content as possible, so I can still see some more newcomers for the base roster. That’s why I think 12 is a pretty safe number. But if it’s less than that, people are gonna get salty since newcomers are also a selling point as well.

Is it a Nintendo IP?
I was just going to say that.

It’s made by a third party, Marvelous Games from Japan, but I can’t find out if it’s a Nintendo IP. It looks like it’s a third party.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I can see that. I just hope Sakurai doesn't turn down a few fan favorites who had a high amount of votes on the ballot and not include them for whatever reason, especially my wanted character, K. Rool. Still, I can see him using the ballot for characters like you said. Just how many is the question.
I'd say K.Rool is pretty much a given at this point. He was even acknowledged by Sakurai when made into a Mii Costume. Given how few newcomers he can add this time around, no doubt he's gonna go for fan favorites over quirky picks.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'd say K.Rool is pretty much a given at this point. He was even acknowledged by Sakurai when made into a Mii Costume. Given how few newcomers he can add this time around, no doubt he's gonna go for fan favorites over quirky picks.
Thanks for that. I appreciate it.

we're never seeing those ballot results anyway let's be real, there's really no way to know
True, but we did see results of fan polls from around. Granted, they most likely did not get votes from everyone who voted in the ballot, but in my eyes, they're close enough.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The strange abscene of Isabelle and Ashley so far.

Shadow disappearing. Tingle is no where to be seen.

I think we're still getting a sizable amount of newcomers. Just not 20 or so. Some of these people are too popular to complete erase from any role in the game.

So they'll either be echo fighter newcomers or unique newcomers.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
How much you... wanna bet?? :D

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Bold bet. We're getting to 75-80 Characters with Echo, so around 5-7 newcomers and 2-3 more echo.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The strange abscene of Isabelle and Ashley so far.
The distinct lack of Ashley makes me hopeful, but nervous. Because I just know it's just a matter of time until we see her pop out of that AT and crush my dreams.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Thanks for that. I appreciate it.

True, but we did see results of fan polls from around. Granted, they most likely did not get votes from everyone who voted in the ballot, but in my eyes, they're close enough.
but those fan polls are merely speculation that only really takes into account the hardcore fanbase and not casual gamers, there's no poll that can accurately represent the ballot results, bayonetta was fairly low on most of those polls but she probably won the ballot because of the casual fanbase.

Troykv

Smash Master
Expecting a total of 10 non-echo newcomer isn't an absurd idea; but I'm okay with less, specially if they're unique and stand-out.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Eh, if there were a decent amount of newcomers in the game I think they would've showed more at E3. We only got two unique characters revealed (actually technically only one) and the game is only six months away. Probably only, at very most, two directs and a Smash presentation in the interim.

Usually we get at least three original characters with the game still a year or more away.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
but those fan polls are merely speculation that only really takes into account the hardcore fanbase and not casual gamers, there's no poll that can accurately represent the ballot results, bayonetta was fairly low on most of those polls but she probably won the ballot because of the casual fanbase.
That's why I said not everyone who voted in the ballot voted on the fan polls. Now, they may not be as close as before now, for reasons you mentioned, but to me, still close enough.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
The distinct lack of Ashley makes me hopeful, but nervous. Because I just know it's just a matter of time until we see her pop out of that AT and crush my dreams.
Yeah, when they were showing off the ATs, I was thinking to myself "please don't show Ashley, please don't show Ashley!" It would crush me if her AT self ends up being shown at a later time.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Wow, now that's scary. Imagine how fans would react if their wanted character did not get in, even if they were high on the ballot.
They won't react if they simply don't show the results, because you'll never get to know that they placed high in the first place. PR crisis averted. :p
That was just towards characters like Goku and Spongebob though last I checked.
I think that disclaimer was more to address ridiculous picks like Goku or Shrek, that likely got many votes. I think in terms of viablity in terms of play, at this point, Sakurai has proven that you can pretty much make anyone work. None of the top picks are any more complex or weird than what's already in the game.
Eh, I'm not sure about that, if that's the case, those characters were already disqualified, and there'd be no point adding the "realizable" since everyone would already understand those characters directly go against the rules (The Smash Ballot said video game characters), I think it's there purely for legal reasons (although, technically, if Shrek won, they might have needed that for legal reasons as well even if we all understand why he's not in, but I'd imagine it'd be "among characters originating in video games" instead of a word as vague in meaning as realizable, although keep in mind I'm no lawyer.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom