• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Someone on ResetEra was mentioning the possibility Meta Ridley was an Echo instead of a costume, as it's not on the demo like Alph or Wireframe mac. Any other known alt model changes that we know are in the game that aren't in the demo?
They probably would have said that he was if that was the case, i think the demo is just...a demo unfinished and the model for that costume isnt totally completed yet OR was finished after the demo was finalized.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So, I made the list of Every Final Smash we didn't see or have no clue about-

• Yoshi
  • Captain Falcon
  • Luigi
  • Peach
  • Daisy
  • Young Link
  • Meta Knight
  • Dark Pit
  • Diddy Kong
  • Lucario
  • R.O.B
  • Wolf
  • WiiFit Trainer
  • Greninja
  • Duck Hunt
  • Robin

Ahem, time to continue my conspiracy to point out something else, another oddities. Every Fighters video were here to show what makes those fighters unique...Right? However, when a Fighters had another "guest" character with him for a final smash, the Final Smash was shown.
    Megaman, Ness, Lucas, Shulk... Except for Robin where him having Chrom in his Final Smash was normally one of his selling point-

Here, take some Original Meme for that-

Youll get your chance another day.png

Attachments

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Does everyone think these unlocks will be easy enough to find out ahead of time? For example I'm looking forward to playing as Ridley ASAP but I don't want to have to unlock 50% of the cast first to play him.

It's weird I like the concept and it can be fun, but locking away my most wanted behind who knows what makes me nervous.
I assume there will be VS Match unlocks as well as specific ways to unlock the one character. Ridley's may be "Beat Classic at x difficulty with Samus or ZSS".

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Inklings don't seem all that gimmicky either too, they could've played up the ink managing aspect more than they did, hopefully they're moving away from gimmicky type characters with these newcomers
That was the one character I wanted to be gimmicky lol. And they used the gross gimmick of having to fill your tank over a turf control gimmick, meh.

Someone on ResetEra was mentioning the possibility Meta Ridley was an Echo instead of a costume, as it's not on the demo like Alph or Wireframe mac. Any other known alt model changes that we know are in the game that aren't in the demo?
Olimar is not in the demo thus Alph is not confirmed to be an echo fighter. I will fight this until I am proven super wrong!

Meta Ridley being an echo fighter would prove my point about Alph but it's a weird choice since it is still the same character...

• Yoshi
  • Captain Falcon
  • Luigi
  • Peach
  • Daisy
  • Young Link
  • Meta Knight
  • Dark Pit
  • Diddy Kong
  • Lucario
  • R.O.B
  • Wolf
  • WiiFit Trainer
  • Greninja
  • Duck Hunt
  • Robin
Have we seen Sheiks? Is it just light arrows again???

Last edited:

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549

• Yoshi
  • Captain Falcon
  • Luigi
  • Peach
  • Daisy
  • Young Link
  • Meta Knight
  • Dark Pit
  • Diddy Kong
  • Lucario
  • R.O.B
  • Wolf
  • WiiFit Trainer
  • Greninja
  • Duck Hunt
  • Robin

Ahem, time to continue my conspiracy to point out something else, another oddities. Every Fighters video were here to show what makes those fighters unique...Right? However, when a Fighters had another "guest" character with him for a final smash, the Final Smash was shown.
    Megaman, Ness, Lucas, Shulk... Except for Robin where him having Chrom in his Final Smash was normally one of his selling point-

View attachment 148152
For clarification. We did see a clip where Wolf is flying in his plane, very similar to Fox's and Falco's, so if I had to guess, it'll be the same as theirs.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
So, after the reveals, here's what my wishlist looks like: (Strike = disconfirmed character, Bold = confirmed character)
As for mine, take a look at my signature.

Inklings were a personal want of mine long before the game was actually confirmed to exist.

Yes, they were obvious, but that didn't stop me from wanting them. Also shows how damn old my list is.

With that said, said list is subject to change because my wants are never set in stone, but I play fair;
  • I don't switch someone to an already confirmed character
  • If someone is confirmed to be in the game in some fashion, playable or AT, they stay there forever since the want has been granted

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

• Yoshi
  • Captain Falcon
  • Luigi
  • Peach
  • Daisy
  • Young Link
  • Meta Knight
  • Dark Pit
  • Diddy Kong
  • Lucario
  • R.O.B
  • Wolf
  • WiiFit Trainer
  • Greninja
  • Duck Hunt
  • Robin

View attachment 148152
ok. you just convinced me chroms the most likely next echo fighter. fire emblem roster bloat rides again lol

Morbi

Scavenger
That was the one character I wanted to be gimmicky lol. And they used the gross gimmick of having to fill your tank over a turf control gimmick, meh.

Olimar is not in the demo thus Alph is not confirmed to be an echo fighter. I will fight this until I am proven super wrong!

Meta Ridley being an echo fighter would prove my point about Alph but it's a weird choice since it is still the same character...
I am fairly certain Alph was shown on Olimar's page and is therefore still just an alternative costume like the chump he is. But you know the Smash community, they thought Phantom was an assist trophy when it was on Zelda's page... By her other specials. Ha ha ha.

ok. you just convinced me chroms the most likely next echo fighter. fire emblem roster bloat rides again lol
Echo fighter of who? Lucina. :troll:

Zeox

Smash Champion
What if this smash have a story mode, but the story mode is actually the story of smash itself? and that's why you start with the original 12 characters.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Meta-Ridley is on Ridley's page on the site.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

• Yoshi
  • Captain Falcon
  • Luigi
  • Peach
  • Daisy
  • Young Link
  • Meta Knight
  • Dark Pit
  • Diddy Kong
  • Lucario
  • R.O.B
  • Wolf
  • WiiFit Trainer
  • Greninja
  • Duck Hunt
  • Robin

View attachment 148152
:4duckhunt::4darkpit::4falcon::wolf:are seen in the character showcase teasers on the website and gameplay

RIku434

Smash Cadet
NNID
looper1
Is it just me or does Kirby's Inhale inhale have more range? It honestly looks bigger.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
:4duckhunt::4darkpit::4falcon::wolf:are seen in the character showcase teasers on the website and gameplay
Nope- someone pointed out to me that we only saw Wolf's Final Smash.
Duck Hunt and Captain Falcon's one aren't shown at all
However you're right for Pitto, a screenshot show his Final Smash, it's unchanged

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
No, I'm already aware that he can use puppets and such for his specials, what I don't get is what he can use for his standard attacks that would set him apart in the way that you claim. I can imagine him doing little kicks that fit in with how he moves, but I don't see what he'd be doing that actually contributes to the game, and that's what I'm requesting that you clarify.
If it makes it easier, consider things like Robin's sword being expended, Shulk's gross disjoint, Megaman's projectiles, Olimar having move properties changed by the Pikmin he's using, etc.
I guess if you want to have distinct standard moves, perhaps have Skull Kid rely on Tatl and Tael for ground and aerial attacks, all coordinated by Skull Kid's ocarina like in Hyrule Warriors.

The interesting part of the fairies is that they can disappear if they receive enough damage from attacks, which means less attack hit-boxes for Skull Kid's standard attacks. They can quickly be revived after a short period of time, but when Skull Kid has no fairies, it leaves him vulnerable, forcing him to use his dark powers (his special moves) to defend himself until the all fairies return from the recharge period. Skull Kid is kind of a commander like Duck Hunt, except more selfish and sacrificial (kinda like Olimar) that lines up with his character well.

Morbi

Scavenger
Do you guys think there is still a chance for Rex or Spring Man to be playable in the base roster?
Definitely, after they confirmed Waluigi as an assist trophy, one of the only noteworthy characters remaining, along with Gen 8 not happening until 2019 (and the return of Pichu/PT, obviously), well, there are not many characters to choose from and most Switch owners know Spring Man whereas Nintendo wants to push Xenoblade. Pretty obvious stuff. They COULD sell them as DLC. But, well, then who would be on the base roster? It honestly depends on how many characters we get. "Less" is not much to go on other than, well, under twelve I suppose. 7-8 is probably the safest bet and Simon is probably the most realistic third-party at the moment with most others, presumably, being saved for DLC.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Apologies if I missed the discussion about this, but what do you guys think about the 2 placeholders? I don't think it means we're getting 2 more newcomers, but it IS a little odd...
https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashBrosU...i_think_we_are_only_getting_2_more_newcomers/
Is this absout that amiibo thing? Cause it'd mean 1 as Daisy isn't there not to mention that's a stupid ass reason. This is like "Oh there's only so many character slots left on the 4 site" and then Nintendo just added another row when they announced an extra character

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Rough estimates based on what, sales or something? I was talking about prominence (I understand sales are a part of that, but legacy is even important, especially to Smash Brothers). To that end, Snake would definitely be WAY ahead. As would most third-party characters not counting Bayonetta.
I'm not talking about sales, I'm talking about presence in things like actual games being published (hence Snake being behind, since he's rarely appeared on a Nintendo console while FF does have titles). All of the "Above" franchises had, if I'm not mistaken, as many or more recent games than Metroid. Kirby, for example, has had several after being mostly dormant until the end of the Wii era. Pikmin has only had one, though it got DLC, was well reviewed, and placed early on in a console's life-cycle and featured prominently As far as I'm aware, Metroid only ever showed up as a reference or a costume in other games, like that one Wii U launch title with Mii party games.
While I would understand this sentiment under Smash 4, Ridley doesn't really have any move gimmicks to him or specific/special properties like you describe. He just fights with what he has. Ridley got in based on popularity and I think that's what blue is getting at for Skull Kid.

Not saying they're right, but I'd say get prepared for less gimmick characters or characters that "need" specific traits to stand out. Seems more like a fan pleasing roster.
It's not about gimmicks, it's about having an actual playstyle rather than just moves that look choreographically coherent. I'm not saying SK wouldn't be able to slap people around, but no one has said anything more specific about what the basis for his standard moveset actually is.
Also, Ridley is poor counter-evidence against gimmicks when Inklings is one of the most gimmicky characters in the entire series.
Wait, just to be sure, are we talking Metroid here? Because Metroid is for sure a bigger series than Mother, Kid Icarus and Xenoblade, and just based on legacy alone (which is a significant factor) it also trumps the likes of Bayonetta, WarioWare and Pikmin. I'd also say Star Fox and Punch Out are bigger than some of the ones I just mentioned.

Recency isn't everything.
Ness's placement was an error, I'm not sure why I put it there when it's plainly a dead series, but KI:U was massive and so is the Xeno series.
Punch-Out had a single game on the Wii and before that was dead for longer than F-Zero.
Star Fox is debatable and so you can put that wherever you want. Personally I only hear people complain about it and I didn't see it get any particular emphasis in marketing starting pretty soon after release, but you may well be right on that one.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Here's a bold theory though (might be controversial): Every character in the game has an
Echo moveset with recycled custom moves, old versions of movesets, or different properties on attacks. Daisy, Lucina, Dark Pit, are distinguished as Echo fighters due to new animations and voice lines, and while Alph and Meta Ridley could also have Echo movesets, they don't have special voice lines or animations which keep them in the same character position.
But I honestly doubt they would do something like this for every single fighter (and if they were, doc would have been an echo IMO).

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Dude the whole bloated FE cast gave me a silent hatred for it. The original trio was fine, didn't bother me. Robin was fine, it didn't bother me either. Lucina being an echo was weird but hopefully it was enough.
TWO YEARS LATER:
:4corrin::4corrinf: I hate these two's very existence.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Apologies if I missed the discussion about this, but what do you guys think about the 2 placeholders? I don't think it means we're getting 2 more newcomers, but it IS a little odd...
https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashBrosU...i_think_we_are_only_getting_2_more_newcomers/
I think that’s just simply that their amiibo display cases have four slots in them and they only have two amiibo to show off currently, so they put signs in the other two spots so that they’re not empty.

They showed the Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion amiibo in the same kind of case, with only one sign since there’s three figures in that set.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Happened back on the Dojo and I got waaaay to into thinking it meant something but it didn't. feel like its the same case here...

now making the roster in rows of 12, ordering it the way the demo roster is: by the "number" order the characters got added to smash in. sakurai put emphasis on these number too. now THAT i think has some merit in figuring out how many our base roster could have left. it would be 7 more btw.

ULTIMATE Roster.png

of course a staggered row at the bottom of a roster is no stranger to smash so this might mean NOTHING but i need something to base my remaining amount of newcomers on.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Nope- someone pointed out to me that we only saw Wolf's Final Smash.
Duck Hunt and Captain Falcon's one aren't shown at all
However you're right for Pitto, a screenshot show his Final Smash, it's unchanged
You sure? Cause unless I wasn’t completely functional yesterday I could’ve sworn I saw something from their final smash

• Yoshi
  • Captain Falcon
  • Luigi
  • Peach
  • Daisy
  • Young Link
  • Meta Knight
  • Diddy Kong
  • Lucario
  • R.O.B
  • WiiFit Trainer
  • Greninja
  • Duck Hunt
  • Robin
My opinon on these

:4yoshi::4diddy::4lucario: Tranformations-probably need new final smashers that arent ready yet

:4falcon::4duckhunt: moves that transport people to new areas - Probably not done modling those new areas.
:4peach:(dasiy) :4metaknight::4greninja: -moves with weird graphical effects. Probably not ready.
:younglinkmelee: -no idea. Might just need a new final smash or something
:4luigi::4wiifit::4wiifitm::4rob:-no idea.
That just leaves Robin. . .who normally should be fine since it's like Great Aether/Omnislash. Buuuuut one little detail. Chrom means 2 sets of animations and a new model that needs to be prepped. That part might not be ready either.

TLDR
MANY other characters did not have their FS shown for various reasons. Robin has their own reason too. Wont say he doesnt have a shot but I wouldnt call Chrom a shoo-in either. . .as much as I want to
:061:

D

Deleted member

Ooh, wish lists? Sounds like fun, here's mine!:
* Waluigi
* Bomber Man
* Kumatora
* Someone from the DK series, preferably Dixie or K. Rool
* Some more love for Metroid, perferably Dark Samus or Ridley
* Someone new from Kirby, perferably Bandana Dee
* Captain Toad (Unsure if the rework in Peach/Daisy deconfirms him or not, so I'm holding out hope)
* Tingle
* Skull Kid
* Ashley (I don't think we've seen her yet?)
* Snake back.
* Pokemon choices that I like and for Mewtwo and Lucario to stay.
* Midna
* Crash Bandicoot

To be honest, I don't exactly have high hopes for any of my wish list characters (excluding the ones I actually got, of course), but hey, who knows!

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
So I've watched some new Inkling videos and I'd like to rescind my negative comments about them from yesterday. They do look really fun. They're a character I'm really excited to see moving at a high level.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Has anyone started compiling a list of confirmed Assist Trophies? I've managed to track down a few, but can only watch so much E3 in a day.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
I have an idea for a setting of a potential story mode, It's a world where Smash Bros is a popular game, where advanced robotic toys called "Trophies" duke it out in various battles.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm not talking about sales, I'm talking about presence in things like actual games being published (hence Snake being behind, since he's rarely appeared on a Nintendo console while FF does have titles). All of the "Above" franchises had, if I'm not mistaken, as many or more recent games than Metroid. Kirby, for example, has had several after being mostly dormant until the end of the Wii era. Pikmin has only had one, though it got DLC, was well reviewed, and placed early on in a console's life-cycle and featured prominently As far as I'm aware, Metroid only ever showed up as a reference or a costume in other games, like that one Wii U launch title with Mii party games.

It's not about gimmicks, it's about having an actual playstyle rather than just moves that look choreographically coherent. I'm not saying SK wouldn't be able to slap people around, but no one has said anything more specific about what the basis for his standard moveset actually is.
Also, Ridley is poor counter-evidence against gimmicks when Inklings is one of the most gimmicky characters in the entire series.

Ness's placement was an error, I'm not sure why I put it there when it's plainly a dead series, but KI:U was massive and so is the Xeno series.
Punch-Out had a single game on the Wii and before that was dead for longer than F-Zero.
Star Fox is debatable and so you can put that wherever you want. Personally I only hear people complain about it and I didn't see it get any particular emphasis in marketing starting pretty soon after release, but you may well be right on that one.
So... Exactly what I stated? You just randomly jump from "published" ha ha ha... and then you go to recent games, which, for your information, Metroid ironically has droves of those and then you talk about DLC as a supplement. Whatever you say, kid. Metroid is not one of Nintendo's most noteworthy franchises. Ridley was just a random fluke that Sakurai has talked about for over a decade. Yep, totally.

I missed the discussion on it as well; however, my guesses would be Snake "as he missed out on his amiibo" and Simon, as the placeholders make sense to be third-party because it does not reflect returning characters, clearly. Snake is a returning character, but obviously he is much more notable than Young Link and Pichu, despite the fact that I love them. Konami should also be revealing their Switch exclusive games which are... well, probably Metal Gear or Castlevania related with Amiibo compatibility.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Like I said, I don't think it means there are 2 new characters either, just thought it looked really weird. I agree with Redboy, it was probably just a aesthetic thing to look good.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
What does Inkling have to do with Ridley? My Point is Ridley doesn't have a real base for his Moveset other than he's a Space Dragon and so there's no stopping other characters from having similar Movesets.

Skull Kid is a dark magic trickster, now you can make a generic Moveset, with some specific moves based off games he's appeared in. The same has happened with characters such as Shiek. Shiek is a ninja, boom Ninja Moveset.

I think I mayyyyyyy be misunderstanding your point, but I don't think a character needs a unique playstyle to be considered viable. Although if you're just asking what could be a unique playstyle for him, that's fair, and then maybe something based around his moves debuffing characters like hexes and pranks.

Staarih

Smash Master
So, with Ridley finally confirmed, will he pass the torch to Waluigi (who’ll then become a fan favorite, multiple times ”denied”, meme character for Smash... who also happens to be purple haha)? Or would that be someone else? I mean, in every comment section about Smash Ultimate I seem to notice, without exception, at least a few Waluigi comments either demanding him in or just going ”Wah”. Maybe it’s just because he was shown as an Assist Trophy from the get-go and people vent off, but I’m also kinda loving the support he has. Fan outcry did work out for Ridley, so...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Captain Toad sounds fun since his gimmick is being unable to jump, but letting that also be a big weakness since he's probably going to be super heavy. I'd laugh if he'd fall at speeds of getting spiked. :rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom