• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Money in the Bank
No Speak Engrish
I’ve found another WWE fan
Tomorrow will be so cool, because it's not just Smash 4 DLC or something like that, it's a new game!

Even showing Mario would be cool because he could have a new model or maybe have new moves, etc.
I want to know if the game is faster, if it has combos, the stages, the main theme, the modes and of course, the newcomers.

Can't wait!
If Mario gets even more pissed off than he was in the teaser than I’m all in on literally showing only Mario

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
In terms of core fighting, Smash 4 was really the only one I extensively enjoyed honestly.

Melee was fun but too fast for my tastes, Brawl was fun but too slow for my tastes, and Smash 64 was not fun.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I can see both Captain Toad and Bandana Dee being assist trophies
Same, but it feels kinda dumb. The Wii U era had so few prominant characters, reducing two of the more active characters not currently in Smash during that period for a pair of assist roles feels kinda wrong.

So... Star Fox is not dead.

My wallet may be but Zero didn't tank the franchise. This looks good for Wolf and maybe others...
Starfox Zero may have been badly recieved by people, but Starfox Guard from what I heard was enjoyed by those that actually played it.

Slippy may have saved Fox for once.

Last edited:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Has pissed off Mario really grown on anyone else? I used to hate it but Its so over the top and ridiculous that I find it kinda charming lol. Anyone else feel the same?

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
The tweet has been deleted. What did it say?
Basically "You might want to keep expectations low for tomorrow's Nintendo Direct". He then proceeded to say he wasn't going to spoil anything, and that he didn't know anything beyond the Direct (like Treehouse or Invitational), he mantained the Smash stuff was still cool though.

Then again, as pointed out before, he said Shovel Knight would be in SSB4, and prior to the Switch presentation in Jan 2017 some of his sources denied that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 were things (right before the event tho he retracted those claims and said they were real)

Liam is the most credible leaker of all time.
I recall Liam retracting these claims a few hours before the event. He probably has a lot of sources, some right, some wrong, so anything he says needs to be taken with grains of salt obviously

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

We might be in there, boys.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Lads, trust your old pal Connery. The Direct starts in 15 hours and 16 minutes from my post.

D

Deleted member

I have high hopes for Nintendo E3.
Imagine this thread after it when certain characters are announced. CrashBoards.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Come on leakers do your best.

Or not. I can wait 15 hours, jeez.

Burruni

Smash Hero
So. In spite of E3 news, time to play out the third leg of my Pre-E3 smash speculation. Smash 4's new series and the significant series not yet touched on.

:4villager:
Realtalk, I don't expect a newcomer. The series' gameplay is so well kept in Villager's moveset bar Fishing, Furnishing, and the duties from New Leaf. It's cozy as it is and cozy is as AC does.

:4wiifit:... Moving on.

:4littlemac: Get a new game and we'll talk

:4mii::4miif:
Honestly, with Miis being pushed so much more on the background of the Switch, I feel like they won't get expanded on at all.

:4shulk:
It comes down to X or 2. But I do expect a newcomer with it being pushed up as one of Nintendo's flagship series now.

Elma - The game fits more to what would typically be chosen for the roster. Less overtly popular as a game and as a character.

Rex - Lock this boy down, in my opinion. XB2 has been in develop since 2014 when X was finishing, Sakurai has a close relationship with Monolith Soft and Takahashi. Sakurai in particular has gushed about his time with XB2 when he rarely talks about the game he plays. Best selling Xeno-game. Unique mechanic of Blade Affinity with the way XB2's gameplay worked to let him snowball to a degree, but require keeping close to Pyra/Mythra. I have full faith this diving lad will be playable.

And frankly, this goes down to other notable series/characters from first party properties I'm going to run down together.
Splatoon - Octolings MIGHT be a good last minute candidate for a clone.

ARMS - In spite of my confidence in Rex, I feel like Springman (who'd be the natural pick for ARMS) might not make it but is still highly likely. It's a matter of the raw push Nintendo has given it vs how well it actually performed for how Sakurai wants to stand, especially for an IP that didn't properly exist when characters were being chosen.

Rhythm Heaven - People are SLEEPING on this. With all the hints to a playable character being planned at some point for Smash 4 and Megamix being fresh when the roster was chosen, I feel like we'll see a newcomer for this series pop up.

Dillon - A slim but noteworthy chance to jump from AT to fighter. It's become a fairly well performing series for its humble roots of just being on the EShop to now building to proper physical releases. It might just be a situation of being too little too late to get the jump but I wouldn't count him out entirely.

Labo - A really out there idea some people have joked up and I can't tell where the joke ends and people legitimately vouch for it. However, every issue Spring Man had is multiplied when Labo is a multi-media property that very likely was only in planning stages when things were built up. At the very best we might see an AT of the robot.
Tomorrow, roster drafts!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Don't get too hyped about the possibility of Ridley, guys. I know you all have waited for him for so long, but if he is not there tomorrow, you might be disappointed and let down big time. Just saying.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
So. In spite of E3 news, time to play out the third leg of my Pre-E3 smash speculation. Smash 4's new series and the significant series not yet touched on.

:4villager:
Realtalk, I don't expect a newcomer. The series' gameplay is so well kept in Villager's moveset bar Fishing, Furnishing, and the duties from New Leaf. It's cozy as it is and cozy is as AC does.

:4wiifit:... Moving on.

:4littlemac: Get a new game and we'll talk

:4mii::4miif:
Honestly, with Miis being pushed so much more on the background of the Switch, I feel like they won't get expanded on at all.

:4shulk:
It comes down to X or 2. But I do expect a newcomer with it being pushed up as one of Nintendo's flagship series now.

Elma - The game fits more to what would typically be chosen for the roster. Less overtly popular as a game and as a character.

Rex - Lock this boy down, in my opinion. XB2 has been in develop since 2014 when X was finishing, Sakurai has a close relationship with Monolith Soft and Takahashi. Sakurai in particular has gushed about his time with XB2 when he rarely talks about the game he plays. Best selling Xeno-game. Unique mechanic of Blade Affinity with the way XB2's gameplay worked to let him snowball to a degree, but require keeping close to Pyra/Mythra. I have full faith this diving lad will be playable.

And frankly, this goes down to other notable series/characters from first party properties I'm going to run down together.
Splatoon - Octolings MIGHT be a good last minute candidate for a clone.

ARMS - In spite of my confidence in Rex, I feel like Springman (who'd be the natural pick for ARMS) might not make it but is still highly likely. It's a matter of the raw push Nintendo has given it vs how well it actually performed for how Sakurai wants to stand, especially for an IP that didn't properly exist when characters were being chosen.

Rhythm Heaven - People are SLEEPING on this. With all the hints to a playable character being planned at some point for Smash 4 and Megamix being fresh when the roster was chosen, I feel like we'll see a newcomer for this series pop up.

Dillon - A slim but noteworthy chance to jump from AT to fighter. It's become a fairly well performing series for its humble roots of just being on the EShop to now building to proper physical releases. It might just be a situation of being too little too late to get the jump but I wouldn't count him out entirely.

Labo - A really out there idea some people have joked up and I can't tell where the joke ends and people legitimately vouch for it. However, every issue Spring Man had is multiplied when Labo is a multi-media property that very likely was only in planning stages when things were built up. At the very best we might see an AT of the robot.
Tomorrow, roster drafts!
Yo, thank you. I feel people are sleeping on Rhythm Heaven and Labo.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Basically "You might want to keep expectations low for tomorrow's Nintendo Direct". He then proceeded to say he wasn't going to spoil anything, and that he didn't know anything beyond the Direct (like Treehouse or Invitational), he mantained the Smash stuff was still cool though.
Then again, as pointed out before, he said Shovel Knight would be in SSB4, and prior to the Switch presentation in Jan 2017 some of his sources denied that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 were things (right before the event tho he retracted those claims and said they were real)
I recall Liam retracting these claims a few hours before the event. He probably has a lot of sources, some right, some wrong, so anything he says needs to be taken with grains of salt obviously
Has this guy gotten something right without luck being with him? Otherwise Idc what he says cause Imma be bleeding hype for tomorrow
Don't get too hyped about the possibility of Ridley, guys. I know you all have waited for him for so long, but if he is not there tomorrow, you might be disappointed and let down big time. Just saying.
Don’t atleast half of us lead ourselves to disappointment? Look at the Square Enix presentation for example

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Has this guy gotten something right without luck being with him? Otherwise Idc what he says cause Imma be bleeding hype for tomorrow

Don’t atleast half of us lead ourselves to disappointment? Look at the Square Enix presentation for example
Don't take this the wrong way, I was just giving you all a heads up, if that is okay.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

The jump fight thing is not piggyback of any sort so yes

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Don't take this the wrong way, I was just giving you all a heads up, if that is okay.
I’m not saying it isn’t okay, but sometimes disappointment is great (like Etika getting disappointed over no Smash last year after thinking Reggie leaked it)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I’m not saying it isn’t okay, but sometimes disappointment is great (like Etika getting disappointed over no Smash last year after thinking Reggie leaked it)
Oh, in that case, yeah, it can be fun to watch. LOL

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
A random thought I just had. Can you imagine if Nintendo had shown off more than 4 players in a trailer for Smash 4 before revealing 8-player Smash? People probably would've assumed the 5th character was an assist trophy or something.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
There's a good chance vergeben gets confirmed at the Sony conference if they announce castlevania or xenoverse 3 iirc

Welp. Getting close to the 12 hour mark.

Tomorrow we're probably going to have a smash blowout. Information on all kinds of thigns like modes, stages, and the only thing most of you people care about, characters. Which means loads of hype and loads of disappointment. . .so try to keep thigns civil.

Be hyped as you want and let your happiness be heard to around the world. But try not to be a duck about it like rubbing it in people's faces. No one likes a sore winner. And if your character doesnt show up/winds up being deconfirmed, try to keep some grace. It's kind to express disappointment but again, dont try to drag anyone else down with you. Especially if you are mad because your very specific criteria were not met in a game targeted for kids. Let other people have their fun. No one likes a sore loser either.

And of course, keep your expectation in check. We aren't owed anything in particular by Nintendo, nor should we really be expecting anything. Seeing anything as a guarantee is just walking for disappointment.

Either way, good luck everyone and remember that smash is about having fun!
:061:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
That doesn't matter to people who just want to smear others.

Like, there are some people who take rumor mongers as deliverers of the word of god. On the other hand, there are people who will never give credit to them when they've gotten plenty of things right.

Normally, I'd post this, like, an hour before E3, but I won't have access to a computer tomorrow, so I'll just post this before going to bed.

Almost 12 hours now. Hang in there, don't die on me now. Everybody, get on board THE HYPE TRAIN!!!!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I see you lurking AlphaZealot AlphaZealot ! How is it going? :)
Welp. Getting close to the 12 hour mark.
We are. I am incredibly hyped for this.
Tomorrow we're probably going to have a smash blowout. Information on all kinds of thigns like modes, stages, and the only thing most of you people care about, characters. Which means loads of hype and loads of disappointment. . .so try to keep thigns civil.
I will definitely be more hyped than disappointed. I hope everyone does not act too disappointed, and focuses on the positive side. Positivity is always better than negativity.
Be hyped as you want and let your happiness be heard to around the world. But try not to be a duck about it like rubbing it in people's faces. No one likes a sore winner. And if your character doesnt show up/winds up being deconfirmed, try to keep some grace. It's kind to express disappointment but again, dont try to drag anyone else down with you. Especially if you are mad because your very specific criteria were not met in a game targeted for kids. Let other people have their fun. No one likes a sore loser either.
Do not worry, I will not drag people down. I will just say how excited I am for that character. You are correct, do not rub it in about your happiness or sadness.
And of course, keep your expectation in check. We aren't owed anything in particular by Nintendo, nor should we really be expecting anything. Seeing anything as a guarantee is just walking for disappointment.
E3 will be unpredictable indeed. That is one reason why Smash Bros. Switch will be extremely hype compared to other games. I am looking forward to it. It would stink to see some characters I like confirmed to not be a fighter, but I will continue to be excited about how we will get more information about this game.
Either way, good luck everyone and remember that smash is about having fun!
:061:
*Bows*
It is. I mean I do not know why people have fuss over certain characters. I do not care who gets in or who does not get in, I care about having fun!

I play by the competitive rules and I still have a ton of fun. We should all thank Sakurai and his team for putting hard effort into making Smash Bros. Switch.

:)

Burruni

Smash Hero
Yo, thank you. I feel people are sleeping on Rhythm Heaven and Labo.
Honestly, RH has the issue of a non-specified character to embody it that probably hurts it in the common perspective.
But Gematsu leak being effectively verified had information of project plan era roster documents (Chrom being listed before it was switched to Robin, Bowser Jr. being one of the last newcomers, etc) having Chorus Men just... leaves something out there. Looking at what we've known of planned-but-didn't-make-it characters in past Smash games, Wario DID get in for Brawl. Doc, Mewtwo and Roy of the forbidden 7 came back eventually, Toon Zelda and Sheik were likely super-late development clones and frankly didn't get games to really perpetuate the character, and Dixie's data or an interview stated her work in Brawl was for a pair-up with Diddy not standalone. RH... RH has more pull than people think.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
A random thought I just had. Can you imagine if Nintendo had shown off more than 4 players in a trailer for Smash 4 before revealing 8-player Smash? People probably would've assumed the 5th character was an assist trophy or something.
It would've been funny if they revealed Little Mac like that, with a cameo in another character's trailer, with the person who's controlling Little Mac in the trailer intentionally trying to perfectly imitate what the Brawl Little Mac AT does rather than playing like a player normally would.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Status update we're like 20 minutes in and Sony might be the emperor with no clothes.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
What the **** am I watching...
a guy playing a banjo for 3 min before showing a single game and we get an intermission... Alongside a general stream crash...Sony, what the ****?

Pakky

Smash Hero
What the **** am I watching...
a guy playing a banjo for 3 min before showing a single game and we get an intermission... Alongside a general stream crash...Sony, what the ****?
Whew lad what's going on????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom