• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So Liam Robertson says to keep expectations low for the direct tomorrow.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Then again he also said Shovel Knight would be DLC for Smash 4, so take this with a grain of salt.
The tweet has been deleted. What did it say?

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
These few months have felt like an eternity. It's kinda surreal we'll be drowning in gameplay footage in less than a day. All we've known since the reveal is Inklings are in. Tomorrow is gonna be a wild ride.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I’m curious to what the main theme will sound like.

Out of the 3 Smash games, which title theme is your favorite, Melee, Brawl or 4? (64 doesn’t have one)

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Well folks, as we stand here, on the eve of that which we have waited so long for, I would just to extend a heartfelt message to all of you.

These last three months have been boring as **** and I'm glad this news drought is over.

:p

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I actually think it may hint against it.

When Skylanders Imaginators was planning to include a Nintendo character, they wanted Fox but Nintendo declined as they didn't wanted Fox's own game to be outshined (heh) so they went with Bowser and DK instead.

If we go by that logic, why would Nintendo be okay now about a game that features Fox that isn't Star Fox (or Smash Brothers?)
Unless Nintendo is releasing a Star Fox game of their own hopefully.
Well folks, as we stand here, on the eve of that which we have waited so long for, I would just to extend a heartfelt message to all of you.

These last three months have been boring as **** and I'm glad this news drought is over.

Such beautiful words, pure poetry XD. Yeah I thought this doughty would never end.

Last edited:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace

Out of the 3 Smash games, which title theme is your favorite, Melee, Brawl or 4? (64 doesn’t have one)
Brawl > Melee > Smash 4
Say what you will about Brawl's gameplay, but it had an absolutely phenomenal score.

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman

Right in the feels. Fills me with the warm fuzzies.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Everyone here making speeches about how we're one day away from Smash 5 info and I'm sitting here wondering how many posts we're gonna get on this thread at once when the dough comes in.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
You know what? I've been thinking. And, I got to admit that Heihachi sounds like a possible choice.
I think people might be sleeping on his chances. He was considered for Smash 4. He recieved a Mii costume. And, he was just not added because of the moveset issue, and the "fighting game" characters in Smash, which now is resolved thanks to Little Mac and Ryu.

He does make a lot of sense, and he'd be the first third party villain.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
My god, it's almost here. In other news, I just got a Switch today, let's see how much I'll actually use it before I get my hands on Smash 5 or either of the Castlevania games that Vergeben mentioned.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97

I'll say Melee is my favorite. I'm not really into Brawl's and 4's main themes. (Well, unless you count the menu version of 4's theme. That one is pretty good.)

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
1528758981167.png

Just found this on Nintendo NY's Twitter. If you didn't see it already, save the time for the Invitational, apparently it's starting on 3PM PT / 6PM ET.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Brawl > Melee > Smash 4
Say what you will about Brawl's gameplay, but it had an absolutely phenomenal score.
Yep. I remember hearing all those new music compositions exclusively for brawl...why didn't smash 4 really do that?

Smash 4>Brawl>Melee>64 imo

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

Melee easily.

Speaking of Melee, a lot of people want back the character-specific Break the Targets. I don't think that's likely with the huge amount of characters now, but what about series-specific Break the Targets?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Melee easily.

Speaking of Melee, a lot of people want back the character-specific Break the Targets. I don't think that's likely with the huge amount of characters now, but what about series-specific Break the Targets?
I thought of that too, but then I realized that it wouldn't work since characters play too differently from each other. For the same reason generic Test are not all that great. Target Blast actually is the most balanced for a crapload of characters, though not as neat.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Darn it, I have meetings around the time of the direct. They better not run late, because there's no way I'm missing this.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Melee > Smash 64 > Brawl > 4.

I like my words at the end. I dunno, it just made it feel more epic to me in the long run.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Melee easily.

This is partially great and partially terrible
The nice part is that it gives series with minimal representation a disproportionately larger amount, which is cool. The issue is that Melee BtT stages were designed around the capabilities of their respective characters. If all of Pokemon gets one stage, it seems like there's a serious limit on what you can do to test the unique properties of every character. Sometimes you can design around this with multiple routes, but it seems very unlikely that you can accomplish that elegantly with, say, all of the Mario characters.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Melee easily.

That could be a good idea, but with the others said, it could be a bit limiting since it may hard for Mario and Bowser to share the same ability test.

And speaking of modes, I wonder if it’s time to put Classic Mode to rest for good.

I don’t know who would be sane enough to play Classic 50+ times just to win a trophy for each character every. single. time.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I thought of that too, but then I realized that it wouldn't work since characters play too differently from each other. For the same reason generic Test are not all that great. Target Blast actually is the most balanced for a crapload of characters, though not as neat.
I thought that too. Honestly though if they make it generic enough that any character from the franchise can do it, but differentiate them and make them nice homages to their series (like Hyrule Castle, Mushroom Kingdom, or the Underworld), it could work. Not as good as Melee of course, but better than Brawl and even better than Angry Birds Target Blast.

John Hohn

Smash Rookie

Melee is my favorite, but Smash 64 does have a theme in the opening intro, which is honestly pretty cool in its own right.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I thought that too. Honestly though if they make it generic enough that any character from the franchise can do it, but differentiate them and make them nice homages to their series (like Hyrule Castle, Mushroom Kingdom, or the Underworld), it could work. Not as good as Melee of course, but better than Brawl and even better than Angry Birds Target Blast.
One thing they could do is at least change the aesthetics per the series. Assuming Brawl-style ones.

I think series-specific target tests could've worked during Melee, and maybe even Brawl, but 4 just upped the characters to a huge degree... so...

P.Kat

Smash Champion

Brawl > Mêlée > 4 A cinematic reveal would be better than the edited gameplay title theme of 4.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Brawl has the best theme in my opinion. The latin chorus makes the whole package feel so definitive, it's a great theme for a game that was marketed as "the brawl to end them all"

That being said, Melee had by far the best opening. Brawl and Smash 4's openings feel like a cobbled together mess of random cutscenes and gameplay clips. I desperately hope Smash Switch's opening has a little more direction and attention.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Melee easily.

Making them series specific is kind of a pointlessly arbitrary method; many of the stages, especially for franchises with a lot of characters, would have to be really generalized, so it would be simpler to just make Brawl style stages for all characters but with themes rather than them all being generic.

Probably the easiest way to make character specific stages would be to make them in Stage Builder, and then that would make it easy for them to give us the tools to make our own target stages, too.

Khao

Smash Lord
I personally don't think character-specific Break the Targets would be an issue as long as they don't use unique assets for each level. Just build generic pieces and you could produce those things ridiculously fast. You wouldn't even need a large portion of the team to handle them.

And I'd honestly rather get generic levels for all the cast rather than series-specific for the sole reason that you still couldn't make them cater to each character's specific abilities. If that's not a thing, I'd rather be able to play those levels with any characters. Otherwise it's just the worst of both worlds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom