• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
my god that Sony show was MEH as all hell (for me) Nintendo has already won lol id say Bethesda beat both Microsoft and Sony so far

Roberk

Smash Champion
Bethesda > Microsoft > Ubisoft > Sony > EA > Sqaure Enix

Nintendo can easily get top 3 or 2 barely trying. If they show lots of gameplay that we love, definitely #1.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Inb4 Smash is so bad that Nintendo doesn't even beat Sony or EA.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm shook that there have been 3 separate trailers for KH3 throughout E3. And it's looking amazing, I don't even mind it's not coming until January
Honestly though. KH3 is worth every delay at this point because it looks like everything I've dreamed of.

D

Deleted member

Resident Evil 2?
WAIT.

Vergeben also mentioned Resident Evil 2 Remake waaaaaaay back in 2017 alongside DMC V!

Just......wow. Vergeben is getting his redemption it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Sony's conference was awful. Holy crap.

RE2R, Kingdom Hearts, Spider Man and Ghosts of Tsushima all looked great though.

Also, FFVII Remake is never coming out lmao

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Can you imagine if Nintendo rolled a ****ing theramin out and had a dude play it for twenty minutes before showing a bunch of obviously scripted Metroid Prime gameplay where the shooting didn’t work?

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
WAIT.

Vergeben also mentioned Resident Evil 2 Remake waaaaaaay back in "017 alongside DMC V!

Just......wow. Vergeben is getting his redemption it seems.
Mention this on gamefaqs lol, or ask the leaker guy to compile it
But it's definately looks like Vergeben is fairly legitimate right now. Here's the signs pointing to it:
-Vergeben states the 2 konami titles are switch ports, konami titles never showed in any other presentation so these titles must be on switch (possibly castlevania).
-DMC V
-Jump Sequel
-Resident Evil 2 remake

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
I thought Bethesda was good in certain parts of the conference (especially that Keegan Michael Keye bit)
Bethesda is by far in the lead right now. It's not even questionable. I'd say that Microsoft almost matches them for how much of a turnaround they had with games but most were multiplatform. Bethesda had tons of good stuff.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
I got a whole new wave of goosebumps about Smash for Switch, because I realized it means I might be able to battle it out to Uncontrollable.

This is great because 1) it's, like, one of my favorite Xeno songs in general, and 2) it's close enough to Kill la Kill to make me happy.

(also is it just me or was You Will Recall Our Names kind of a let down after You Will Know Our Names and Uncontrollable?)

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
That's a surprising statement. All I ever here during this time of year is how Sony killed it and stuff. Maybe they weren't feeling it this year
Yeah, the stuff they showed was fine and most of it looked good, but nothing really super exciting, surprising or major and it felt like the whole thing kinda dragged with weird performances and transitions too. I was really surprised when it ended , capping it off with spiderman was a strange choice.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
After seeing Kingdom Hearts 3, I'm scared that Sora is gonna make Smash and I really don't want him to

But if he does, the crash boards are still happening tomorrow

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Sony was the best so far tbh....

except for that awkward instrument ****...
They had a pretty rough start.
I'd say microsoft had the most rounded conference all around this year, with bethesda or sony possibly having the best peaks.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Seriously, Sony was not that bad.

I was mesmarized on Ghost of Tsushima, it was so cool. My favourite trailer for this Sony conferance.
The gameplay of Last of Us part 2 was not bad at all. The Banjo and Flute player was lackluster, but kudos for trying I guess?

I guess it did not have much, and it quickly ended, but Ghost of Tsushima, god, that was good.

kylexv

Smash Master
Sony's conference was trash the first thirty minutes.
Once they finally actually got started, it was pretty good. Surprised not to see Mortal Kombat XI though.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I kind of hope it wouldn't be the Rabbids, and that's coming from someone who honestly really likes the Rabbids franchise. I just don't want to have to listen to their screams in a Smash game.

Though I suppose I wouldn't really mind it as long as they never made the noise while attacking and kept it's usage minimal over all . If they were only used for very specific situations, like taunts and/or K.O. sounds, I'd be fine.

Admittedly I actually do think the idea of them screaming as a Final Smash would be glorious And certainly far more bearable than if they screamed for every standard attack or two.
Which is exactly why I want Rabbid Mario.

He's the quietest of the bunch ;)

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Since the Direct we've all been waiting for is tomorrow, and we've been waiting 3 months, I'd just like to take this opportunity to link the original Smash 5 announcement, so we can remember where these train tracks started.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Woah that Spider-Man game is worth buying a new console for. Hory sheet

Too bad i sold my ps4 to fund my library of switch games

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Since the Direct we've all been waiting for is tomorrow, and we've been waiting 3 months, I'd just like to take this opportunity to link the original Smash 5 announcement, so we can remember where these train tracks started.

I get goosebumps watching this every time

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Watching the entire Toy Story trilogy to distract me until the direct.

Because if you think I'll be able to sleep tonight you're living in a cartoon.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Sony went in hard at the beginning...only to drag on for so long...just stop restart some momentum

1. Microsoft (so many games and so much hotness)
2. Devolver Digital (they were hilarious like last year)
3. Bethesda (didn’t watch theirs, but the trailers were still cool)
4. Sony (should’ve gone the Nintendo route tbh), but Spider-Man is the only PS4 exclusive I care about this year...and I need it
5. Ubisoft (good as usual...but I miss the awesome black woman that used to run their presentation)
6. Square Enix (they kinda got robbed by Microsoft and Sony)
7. EA (didn’t even wanna bother)

Nintendo is all that’s left

Keep treating me (and others I suppose) fancy and you’ll end up becoming my favorite person here

Bethesda is by far in the lead right now. It's not even questionable. I'd say that Microsoft almost matches them for how much of a turnaround they had with games but most were multiplatform. Bethesda had tons of good stuff.
I’d question it if I watched the entire presentation for Bethesda, but Microsoft had so much won win me over the others not named Nintendo

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
After seeing Kingdom Hearts 3, I'm scared that Sora is gonna make Smash and I really don't want him to

But if he does, the crash boards are still happening tomorrow
What's it to you if a character you don't like gets in? I'm not really a fan of Wolf, Ridley, or K. Rool, but if any of them get in that's cool, and I'll be happy for their fans. Even if you don't like the character there are people that do.

The whole myth of "characters take up slots that other characters could've had" has been debunked, so what's wrong with more characters?

Seriously, Sony was not that bad.

I was mesmarized on Ghost of Tsushima, it was so cool. My favourite trailer for this Sony conferance.
The gameplay of Last of Us part 2 was not bad at all. The Banjo and Flute player was lackluster, but kudos for trying I guess?

I guess it did not have much, and it quickly ended, but Ghost of Tsushima, god, that was good.
It wasn't. Honestly after they announced Resident Evil 2 remake they completely turned it around.

Olo

Smash Cadet
Death Stranding was cool and stood out, that's about it. (I'm not really into Spiderman) So yeah, Bethesda is by far the best so far. Who's laughing now indeed.

Last edited:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Yes we all do...
The engines are running, the wheels are turning, this is the moment we all have been waiting for...Sit back and join Sakurai's HYPE train for this is going to be a WILD RIDE BOYS! WE GOT LESS THAN 14 HOURS!!

WE WILL RISE OUT OF OUR SEATS AND RIDE TOWARDS THE SUN MY BOIS!!

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Personally, I think that the Smash 3DS / Wii U gameplay mechanics are an improvement when compared to Brawl's mechanics. A few things may need to be adjusted though.
My gripe with Smash 4 is how streamlined and simplified the game feels. Characters like Wario, Lucas, Kirby, and Lucario lost a lot of options in exchange for moveset simplification.
You can also see this in how more half of the cast has an advantage state dependent on B&B grab combos :urg:. It would have gotten boring sooner if it weren't for the continuous stream of patches to switch things up, but even that had its issues when they decided to give a lot of the weaker characters a combo throw and/or kill throw, further streamlining the game. I actually enjoyed Brawl's endless neutral a lot more than smash 4's brutal repetition.

Hell, i'm fine with Rage, I just wish the game had more depth and room for creativity.

I think this post by Baby_Sneak Baby_Sneak explains my grievances pretty well.
*(some stuff I said here were thought of on the spot, so this might appear all over the place)*

I may be a little late, but I think what
[IMG]https://smashboards.com/data/avatars/s/345/345867.jpg?1451698677[/IMG] R3D3MON is feeling is what I've experienced when I first felt the transition from brawl to S4. In my experience, everyone was either more rounded, cut off, or just uninteresting. Everything felt streamlined and simplified.

Glide toss was removed
DACUS was removed
Link and toon link had hundreds of tech in their arsenal in brawl, not sure about S4 though.

Two pivotal movement options from brawl were gone (jump canceled tosses are still here tho, but glide tosses moved you further and faster).

Diddy in brawl had SICKKK nana tech and really relied on that tool to get crazy, but S4 diddy has the nana as a accessory rather than something really integral to his gameplay. Adding onto his oppressive aerials that covers a multitude of options at a time (so you can use one move kinda repeatedly) and lack of excessive tech to distinguish one from another, and diddy is like another Mario, but with nanas. Brawl diddy had crazy normals like S4, but they paled to what he could do, or set up with nanas. They were a real open-ended tool (dribble them, do infinities with them, combos, "tech-chase," kill, gimp, fortress setup (ADHD style), stage control, etc... forgetting some stuff). And he was hugely interactive because you could use the nanas against him (and pull off your own crazy combo/string with your respective character).

Wario in brawl had waaaaaay better aerial control than his S4 version. Also had tires to improve his poor range, make kill confirms, movement options, a new neutral tool, and host of every things I forgot (it was a old wario guide about the magic of those tires that got removed to S4 SMH). Not to mention the depth the bike itself provided also, but to go back to his aerial mobility, wario could really WEAVE in brawl. Like, his movement was really a art form, whereas his S4 version struggles more to be evasive (though it's still possible, but not as extreme as his brawl version (more streamlined). Also had hidden bike tech with the platforms.

ROB had his Fair, Ftilt, glide toss, down-b wave bounce, and up-b aerial movement gutted in exchange for kill potential with his throws. More streamlined and Mario-esque because he struggled to kill in brawl

Can't speak for peach in-depth, but she is underwhelming in S4.

Falco got burnt in S4. In brawl, he was a crazy zoner. SHDLing from afar, then you got close and met his chain-grabs, crazy jabs, SH Dair, and combos from grab that led to his Gatling combo (a delayed dacus that combined his dash Attack and upsmash together). In S4, they just took everything away from him basically.

Snake was GREAT. A super heavy who was super fast (longest and easiest DACUS), had grenades, C4s, Mines, mortars, stupid normals (Ftilt and Utilt), and was just the epitome of interesting design. He was really open-ended and could set up traps like crazy. And they removed him.

Olimar had six pikmin to take care of and manage. Had stupid grab range with the blue and white, but had a garbage recovery. Had super armor on the whistle to protect him from getting juggled repeatedly. In S4, they cut him down to just three pikmin to manage, reduce his grab range, removed the SA on the whistle, and boosted his recovery. Streamlined him.

I'm sure there's more examples (can't think of any else), but that's what I'm seeing. Oh, and all the interesting characters in S4 are underwhelming (bowser jr., PAC-man, duck hunt, maybe even villager even, robin, shulk, etc...). Smash 4 is the game where the interesting characters lack the foundation (good normals), while the top characters lack the flash (good, interesting tools that breed creativity). This GENERALLY speaking though, as people are just about optimization and being as logical and robotic as possible. There is not many people who tries to push their character to their limits and create this highly nuanced character in their repertoire. We all talked about how fundamental ZeRo is. We also talked about gluttony and his amazing wario usage. The gluttonies are few and far between, whereas ZeRos' are pretty popular. Lastly, S4 is streamlined and polished, but that doesn't mean there isn't potential. Ryu is mr.well-rounded in ST, but his less-restrictive play style breeded multiple different styles. Same could come out of a lot of characters if people would just loosen up and let go of the "play-to-win" mentality. Armada and ZeRo are "play-to-win" personified, because they took the path of least-resistance and has been the most consistent based this mindset: top tiers, top fundamentals, no flash, and defensive oriented. Also readily able to switch mains. Very robotic. If you're trying to be creative and expressive, you're not consigning with the play to win mindset. You're actually going against it since,

1. You're with only one character (who is most likely not top tier)
  2. You're willing to use options that are not optimal.
  3. You're willing to play unfavorable MUs
  4. You may go aggressive with the "wrong" character
  5. It'll be hard for you to switch with all that muscle memory in a patchy game.
  6. You'll be working harder than you'll need to for a win.
I think with how Japan sets up their tournies (no prize money, character loyalists, etc...) breeds better character development, which is why in brawl APEX 2010, Japan really shook America with their tech and made us level up (brood, a Japanese olimar player, was in a interview and said the American olimars were weak). But, yeah.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Olo

Smash Cadet
Yes we all do...
The engines are running, the wheels are turning, this is the moment we all have been waiting for...Sit back and join Sakurai's HYPE train for this is going to be a WILD RIDE BOYS! WE GOT LESS THAN 14 HOURS!!
And damn, I'm so excited and happy there were no believable visual leaks like there were for Smash 4! The suspense is killing me.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
We could see Geno and/or Sora for an E3 reveal maybe? Maybe we could get neither. Either way, I am feeling that Square Enix has something interesting to showcase in this Direct. I will still put these two characters in my prediction roster, from now to the Smash Switch release. Crossing my fingers for the best.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Sony presentation wasn't so bad, you guys are just mean (could've done it without the instrument crap)

Also, RE2 REMAKE HYPE, ACTION RE HYPE!
Death Stranding looks good too, thank god they finally showed gameplay.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Went to Starlink's web page to check prices for pre-order. $75 isn't bad at all.

Also checked out Fox's bio:

FOX MCCLOUD
Ace pilot and leader of the Star Fox Team, Fox McCloud is the legendary defender of the Lylat star system. Fox came to Atlas in pursuit of Wolf O'Donnell and his crew, and he has teamed up with the Starlink initiative in their fight against Grax and the Forgotten Legion. Exclusively on Nintendo Switch.

TonyMyOnly

Smash Apprentice
Let's all join together and pray to the Mashed Potato Samurai for some good reveals tomorrow and a hype ass trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom