• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
The metroids have been in many games, so I don’t think Samus Returns would NEED to be the catalyst for their addition. Also, Dark Samus is for sure one of my dream picks, and I consider it to have an outside shot. A Metroid would be a true “out of the blue” fighter though.

Also...
I have to wonder if Dark Samus/Prime won’t be back in 4, considering the series is named after it! Sylux bringing it back from the clone/DNA would be a cool storyline.
Honestly underrated idea. Metroids have been in Kirby and a very close relative of them is a Kid Icarus enemy.

Also they’re the title of the series.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
While I would agree that Samus Returns isn't the only thing that makes the Metroid popular, the Zeta Metroid in particular only appears as an enemy in that game and Metroid II. It has a cameo in Metroid Fusion, but that's about it. Compared to how many games Ridley, Dark Samus, and even Sylux have appeared in, that's not a great resume.
True. I suppose it all comes down to where a person wants to split hairs. Would the Zeta Metroid be representative only of itself (meaning 2 games), or representative of the whole species (meaning the whole series)? The answer very much decides how relevant/important the character is. Side note: A final smash where it transforms into a queen is almost too good an idea to pass up :p

Honestly, I'll be happy with any new Metroid representation, and not just in the characters. Give us a new, non-lava/acid stage while bringing back a couple old ones, create some awesome new remixes, maybe add a new assist trophy? All would be warmly welcomed by me.

Ridley as a playable character is the Holy Grail of Smash for me though...

Pakky

Smash Hero
Wonder if they'll double down on Metroid and DK?

All the releases give me hope but they could mean nothing.
DKCR 3 could be a thing.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'll keep it simple.

The next Metroid addition HAS to be Ridley. Regardless of how relevant or unique the character in question is, fans have made it clear who they want. Anything else is a slap in the face.

After Ridley, the next most-likely Metroid character boils down to three things: relevancy, moveset potential, and notable fan support. If Zeta Metroid (or whatever Metroid you're supporting) can accomplish all of these things during this Smash all why Ridley still makes the base roster, then I could see it happening. Otherwise, I have more than a few doubts that it would get in over Sylux or possibly even Dark Samus.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Alright, so.

We get Ridley, but we have to sacrifice ZSS. Would you be willing to put that dagger in her bossum heart?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Alright, so.

We get Ridley, but we have to sacrifice ZSS. Would you be willing to put that dagger in her bossum heart?
That's... hard to say. I like both. ZSS(though I don't like the design with the high heels...) is a fun character and has a fun moveset. Ridley is also an important character. I honestly consider both of Samus' designs extremely important to who she is. She isn't just a woman in armor only, after all.

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
Alright, so.

1,000 times yes. Samus should never have been represented outside of her suit. ZSS should never have existed and I will always hate her.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
1,000 times yes. Samus should never have been represented outside of her suit. ZSS should never have existed and I will always hate her.
You know this kind of comes across as 'Keep that gross woman face hidden by that androgynous armor!" but I know that's not the intention.

At least I hope not.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Alright, so.

I'd be more than willing to do that. I like playing as ZSS, but Samus and Ridley would do well enough to represent Metroid on their own, as far as I see it ZSS has always been a bonus largely born out of a FS gimmick. Of course I'd prefer just having all three though.

Wonder if they'll double down on Metroid and DK?

All the releases give me hope but they could mean nothing.
DKCR 3 could be a thing.
I think they might double down on DKC, everything seems to indicate that K. Rool did very well in the ballot, and Dixie probably also did well with the added bonus of being marketable atm, if any series gets two newcomers it's likely gonna be it. Metroid will only get Ridley at most, Sylux has an outside shot as DLC, but it depends on whether he has a long term future in the series imo.

Last edited:

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
Master Chief has a cameo via a costume in Minecraft: Switch Edition. It's hardly a more proper appearance of the literal character, but a Nintendo appearance nonetheless.
Eh, I really don't think that counts in the slightest. That's like saying Inklings are veterans because of the Smash 4 costume, IMO.

Also, everyone betting their avatars on E3 should agree upon an equally embarrassing image for use in a tie. That would make it a lot more fun.

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I'll keep it simple.

The next Metroid addition HAS to be Ridley. Regardless of how relevant or unique the character in question is, fans have made it clear who they want. Anything else is a slap in the face.

After Ridley, the next most-likely Metroid character boils down to three things: relevancy, moveset potential, and notable fan support. If Zeta Metroid (or whatever Metroid you're supporting) can accomplish all of these things during this Smash all why Ridley still makes the base roster, then I could see it happening. Otherwise, I have more than a few doubts that it would get in over Sylux or possibly even Dark Samus.
I absolutely agree that Ridley should be first and foremost. I have about 50/50 hopes of him happening this time, and I would play the heck out of him.

If he gets once more pushed aside though, I think a Metroid could make a cool addition, all while repping a ton of the series. Like I mentioned before, if we make the character a representation of the creature as a whole, it becomes the most relevant and important Metroid character not in the roster yet, by far!

Dark Samus would be another dream pick of mine. As the main antagonist of a (still going) series of games, and with an array of Phazon powers, I think it's noteworthy enough and would rock as a fighter. Plus it would add more from the "non-Mother Brain and Co." villains of the series.

Sylux I don't think has a shot. If he becomes a recurring and memorable character in the series going forward, then sure? But at this point, he seems more like desperate clawing for a new fighter from the series' fans than anything meaningful. I'd still take him though :p

Alright, so.

In a second, without hesitation :laugh:

EDIT: Should clarify that I don't hate her by any means, just that Ridley > Zero Suit easily in my books.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Alright, hot take time:

Metroid, while a series I do very much enjoy, isn't "due for another rep" like a lot of fans say. The entire series is centered around Samus Aran, what she does, and what happens to her. I like the series and think that it has a lot to offer in Smash, but I think representing a series that focuses on a single character with said character is perfect.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Eh, I really don't think that counts in the slightest. That's like saying Inklings are veterans because of the Smash 4 costume, IMO.

Also, everyone betting their avatars on E3 should agree upon an equally embarrassing image for use in a tie. That would make it a lot more fun.
It does for the purpose of the question; it's a specification that the content cannot have any appearances on Nintendo systems from their respective series.

It's not just that, but other Halo content. No matter how you slice it, Halo content has made a Nintendo appearance, and that invalidates Master Chief from being a possible answer according to the specifications of the question.

I agree it's not a proper appearance of him, mind you. But context says otherwise.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
ZSS should be given a new moveset. I can go with the whip, but I just find the heels to be impractical and strange for Samus. At this point, ZSS feels like the "let's add a bunch of weird ****" character rather than "let's make her Samus without a Powersuit".

So yes, I would trade Smash 4 ZSS for Ridley.

Alright, hot take time:

Metroid, while a series I do very much enjoy, isn't "due for another rep" like a lot of fans say. The entire series is centered around Samus Aran, what she does, and what happens to her. I like the series and think that it has a lot to offer in Smash, but I think representing a series that focuses on a single character with said character is perfect.
I don't want to sound condescending, but the character Ridley has had a huge impact on what happens to Samus from a very young age, and is the one character in the series that, as of now, is able to impact the main character the way he does. The game is centered around Samus' perspective, which is why Ridley is such a large presence and an important character within the franchise.

I understand your argument, but it seems flawed. I could argue that any game is "only" about the main character, but that'd be false. The main character, especially Samus, would have not canonically existed in the first place, as well as done most of things she did (i.e. Super) had it not been for her nemesis in the first place.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Alright, so.

Sure. She's my favourite of the bunch, but I've never been big on different versions of the same character on the roster.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I know we've done all of this Pokémon junk to death, but I wanted to ask anyway since E3 is just three days away.

How would you rank the following Pokémon in terms of likelihood?
  • Decidueye
  • Incineroar
  • Lycanroc
  • Mimikyu
  • Tapu Koko
  • Buzzwole
  • Eevee
From most likely to least likely, I'd say it's like this (Keep in mind that I'm using the anime and promotional material for this).

Lycanroc
Incineroar
Mimikyu
Decidueye
Buzzwole
Tapu Koko
Eevee

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Alright, hot take time:

HOTTER Take: :p

I get what you're going for, and agree to an extent. That being said, Ridley especially is intrinsic to who Samus is and becomes. The story of the series is not what it is without him, so from that perspective, I think he deserves to be in.

Even if I give you that point though... "due for another rep" or not, I want more Metroid stuff. The series has such a cool aesthetic, and is so different from most Nintendo franchises that I'll love any and all stuff they want to add, whether it's a fighter, stages, music, etc. If I'm being perfectly honest, I probably like the lore and design more than I like the games themselves. Any way to represent more of that in Smash is awesome in my books.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I know we've done all of this Pokémon junk to death, but I wanted to ask anyway since E3 is just three days away.

• Decidueye
  • Incineroar
  • Lycanroc
  • Mimikyu
  • Tapu Koko
  • Buzzwole
  • Eevee
From most likely to least likely, I'd say it's like this (Keep in mind that I'm using the anime and promotional material for this).

Lycanroc
Incineroar
Mimikyu
Decidueye
Buzzwole
Tapu Koko
Eevee
Something like this.

- Decidueye.
- Mimikyu.
- Lycanroc.
- Eevee.
- Buzzwole.
- Inceneroar.
- Tapu Koko.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Alright, hot take time:

I agree if we consider Ridley to not be a candidate, considering Sakurai's opinion on him so far. Any other character you could add would primarily get in off the fact that they come from Metroid, and not necessarily their own individual qualities, and it'd be a mistake to begin adding characters simply because of their series of origin.

It's less "Metroid is due another character" and more "It's about time Ridley is added" imo.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The issue with Ridley is that, according to Sakurai, making him too small wouldn't make him Ridley, but not making him small enough will make him unbalanced. It's a difficult situation, and the only two ways I see him making the roster are if Sakurai is willing to forego at least one of those two issues or if we get a suitable redesign at some point in the Metroid series.
:glare: How many times do I have to tell you guys

That article was 4 years ago a chance sakurai will have a change of heart it happened with villager and PAC-man

Besides if he's only a 1/4 taller than bowser that would still make him Ridley plus with the crawling like stance introduced in other m and Samus return he can be biggest character but yet look similar size to bowser

Besides Ridley role got higher each game smash 4 Ridley is the closet we got to a playable Ridley.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

• Decidueye
  • Incineroar
  • Lycanroc
  • Mimikyu
  • Tapu Koko
  • Buzzwole
  • Eevee
  • Lycanroc
    [*]Incineroar
    [*]Mimikyu
    [*]Decidueye
    [*]Buzzwole
    [*]Tapu Koko
    [*]Eevee
  1. Decidueye
  2. Mimikyu
  3. Lycanroc
  4. Buzzwole
  5. Tapu Koko
  6. Inceneroar
  7. Eevee

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Alright, so.

ZSS was always a weird anomaly to me in Smash. I barely ever used her in Brawl (mainly since she's not in the CSS) and Smash 4, most of her moveset is completely made up for Smash, barely playing like she does in the actual games, and I'm still miffed at how Samus's unarmored, vulnerable self is much better than her armored self (and not just in terms of tiers, suited Samus actually sucks in both Brawl and Smash 4). And y'know, her being the only "newcomer" we've gotten for Metroid is doubly, extra weird.

Yeah, I'd trade her over for Ridley if it came down to that.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Alright, so.

No. Don't care for Ridley. And "Justin Bailey Samus" was one of my most wanted characters for Smash 3 (Brawl). :4zss:

Pakky

Smash Hero

• Decidueye
  • Incineroar
  • Lycanroc
  • Mimikyu
  • Tapu Koko
  • Buzzwole
  • Eevee

Lycanroc
Incineroar
Mimikyu
Decidueye
Buzzwole
Tapu Koko
Eevee
Alright I'll play.

Mimikyu
Incineroar
Lycanroc
Decidueye
Eevee
Tapu Koko
Buzzwole

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
The issue with Ridley is that, according to Sakurai, making him too small wouldn't make him Ridley, but not making him small enough will make him unbalanced. It's a difficult situation, and the only two ways I see him making the roster are if Sakurai is willing to forego at least one of those two issues or if we get a suitable redesign at some point in the Metroid series.
I say do the former. While size is a factor, that's not all that makes Ridley who he is. What makes Ridley, Ridley, is his ferocity, cunning, and overall bestial demeanor. Sakurai could stay true to Ridley's character by making him feel like the most brutal fighter in the roster, with claw swipes and bites that look and feel more animalistic than Bowser or Charizard.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!

"Decidueye overtook the other starters in popularity"

Okay so am I out of the loop or is GameXplain because this has never been the case.

I mean Pokken is a thing but Greninja didn't get in and it owned the 6th generation of Pokemon.
That statement is definitely true for Rowlet. To say the same thing about Decidueye.... it kinda comes off as more piggybacking off of Rowlet's popularity.

Decidueye certainly has his share of fans, and it certainly got a boost thanks to its appearance in Pokken. But, being in Pokken doesn't increase of decrease Decidueye's chances of getting into Smash.

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
You know this kind of comes across as 'Keep that gross woman face hidden by that androgynous armor!" but I know that's not the intention.

At least I hope not.
I think you're reading way too much into this. It's just their personal preference, and I highly doubt that anything about it is blatantly bigoted. At least give 'em the benefit of the doubt; I've heard countless players list their grievances about multiple versions of the same character, so why should this one be assumed to be any different?

It does for the purpose of the question; it's a specification that the content cannot have any appearances on Nintendo systems from their respective series.

It's not just that, but other Halo content. No matter how you slice it, Halo content has made a Nintendo appearance, and that invalidates Master Chief from being a possible answer according to the specifications of the question.

I agree it's not a proper appearance of him, mind you. But context says otherwise.
True. I wholeheartedly agree regarding Halo content, but I just have a difficult time equating a skin for a customizable avatar with a named character from a completely different universe, even if it is officially endorsed.

• Decidueye
  • Incineroar
  • Lycanroc
  • Mimikyu
  • Tapu Koko
  • Buzzwole
  • Eevee

Lycanroc
Incineroar
Mimikyu
Decidueye
Buzzwole
Tapu Koko
Eevee
I'm not an anime buff, so this might not be too accurate, but based off of fan popularity and what I've heard about the topic:

Decidueye
Mimikyu
Incineroar
Lycanroc
Buzzwole
Tapu Koko
Eevee

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
True. I wholeheartedly agree regarding Halo content, but I just have a difficult time equating a skin for a customizable avatar with a named character from a completely different universe, even if it is officially endorsed.
That's why I called it a cameo myself.

That said, I'd rather have Fulgore anyway for a Microsoft option. Master Chief and Steve? are still good iconic options, though.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
but how would it be possible to create a second metroid prime if Phazon was literally wiped out of existence.
It wasn't, necessarily.

So, Phaaze, the living planet home to Phazon was destroyed along with Dark Samus in Prime 3. However, this doesn't mean that all the Leviathans sent out by Phaaze were intercepted. There is also no guarantee that all traces of Phazon were destroyed, as the Space Pirates were known to mine and experiment with it for the purposes of energy production and weaponization.

If Sylux got even a small amount of Phazon, he could expose it to the Metroid hatchling he stole to turn it into a Phazon Metroid that can become a Prime. If it does, then it will produce it's own Phazon and begin replicating again.

Sylux could desire this so he can weaponize Phazon, Phazon Metroids, or both against the Galactic Federation, but he could easily be in over his head, and his own armor could be overrun.

Of course, all of this is speculation, but Phazon isn't gone entirely - it's just Dark Samus and Phaaze that are gone, who were the source of Phazon on some individual planets and the original source of Phazon, respectively. Offspring of Phaaze could still be out there.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Updated Imgur rumor compilation from GameFAQS user GoldEmperorKing.
https://imgur.com/96hM2zI
Changes (copy pasted from GameFAQS):
>some color squares so it doesn't look to messy
>Masked Man info revised, included the fact he voluntarily cut off all his accounts (which i find pointless) and his extent of his credibility (being just a intern).
>the Castlevania new game/collection rumor by Vergeben's "mighty reputable" source, along with Konami E3 listing and a interview pertaining to Castlevania's return
>added the show planner rumor, he got in contact with Vergeben about it
>IndustryInsider1 backing the Snake rumor (there's probably connections with him and DasVergeben's reputable source too, who knows)
>added the project plan setbacks on Celica and Rex sections since people were talking about that alot
> not adding the 5ch piggyback rumor right now, rather wait until after E3 or more stuff starts starts dropping, because its too messy
So, the Imgur leak have 3 more days to live, that is nice.
Enjoy as much as you can, Mr. Imgur Leak, because soon we will see if you are a liar or a prophet, and honestly there are not a lot of prophets around here, so you are still in a bad situation.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

• Decidueye
  • Incineroar
  • Lycanroc
  • Mimikyu
  • Tapu Koko
  • Buzzwole
  • Eevee

Lycanroc
Incineroar
Mimikyu
Decidueye
Buzzwole
Tapu Koko
Eevee
I think the order might b...

Actually you know what that is the order except the difference is switch between mimikyu and decidueye

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
So, the Imgur leak have 3 more days to live, that is nice.
Enjoy as much as you can, Mr. Imgur Leak, because soon we will see if you are a liar or a prophet, and honestly there are not a lot of prophets around here, so you are still in a bad situation.
I mean, the Imgur leak dying would also mean the death of Vergben's leak. Which kinda sucks.

And IF Vergeben ends up being true, that still doesn't EXACTLY confirm the Imgur leak is as well, unless we get more than the "Vergeben 4" confirmed.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I mean, the Imgur leak dying would also mean the death of Vergben's leak. Which kinda sucks.

And IF Vergeben ends up being true, that still doesn't EXACTLY confirm the Imgur leak is as well, unless we get more than the "Vergeben 4" confirmed.
Vergeben is somewhat likely real

But imugar is just bogus

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman

I believe Imgur piggybacked off Vergeben, so it being proven false doesn't affect him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom