• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Apparently Crash Bandicoot as a Smash character is a Japanese meme. Maybe they think "Crash in Smash" sounds funny? Warped and Strikes Back actually sold over a million in Japan each, so there's that too.

?????????????

Smash Master
Here's what I want to know: How do you feel about a Dragon Quest character in Smash Bros.?

It doesn't seem to get brought up all that much, but if I recall, the Dragon Quest series is HUGE in Japan, much bigger than it's international fanbase. Even disregarding that, the series is as long lived and as big as Final Fantasy AT LEAST.

I absolutely love the idea of incorporating a Dragon Quest Hero as a playable Smash character; I think you can have a lot of fun with weapons, special abilities, and magic. I like the idea so much, I often put DQ Hero on my own rosters.

I've also seen Slime as an alternative, since it's become something of "the face" of the series, but...I dunno...that kinda feels... Goomba-y to me? It'd be fine, cause I think you could have fun with it's moveset, but I much prefer the hero idea.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Yeah, it probably depends on a lot of factors.

I'm part of the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox generation, and I swear that the Gamecube was almost as popular as the PS2 was in my little rural area of New Mexico. The Xbox might as well not have even existed here until the 360 came out.

Even when I had a PS2, I ended up giving it away because I didn't really care for it. I had Kingdom Hearts as my only game, and I had over a dozen Gamecube games in comparison.

I don't know if I'm really making much of a point, but it could be that certain companies are way more or less popular than average in different areas. Maybe Sony's was more popular in urban areas?
Ho boy, the Seattle/Tacoma area was most definitely an "urban area," even at the time. Though I was more in the suburb areas, and I got a PS1 probably because it was cheaper at the time and my parents didn't exactly have "luxurious" jobs

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Ho boy, the Seattle/Tacoma area was most definitely an "urban area," even at the time. Though I was more in the suburb areas, and I got a PS1 probably because it was cheaper at the time and my parents didn't exactly have "luxurious" jobs
It would be fascinating to see the sales ratio (between Nintendo and Sony, namely) broken down and compared by population density. If there's a correlation there, that might really be interesting to note.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Here's what I want to know: How do you feel about a Dragon Quest character in Smash Bros.?

It doesn't seem to get brought up all that much, but if I recall, the Dragon Quest series is HUGE in Japan, much bigger than it's international fanbase. Even disregarding that, the series is as long lived and as big as Final Fantasy AT LEAST.

I absolutely love the idea of incorporating a Dragon Quest Hero as a playable Smash character; I think you can have a lot of fun with weapons, special abilities, and magic. I like the idea so much, I often put DQ Hero on my own rosters.

I've also seen Slime as an alternative, since it's become something of "the face" of the series, but...I dunno...that kinda feels... Goomba-y to me? It'd be fine, cause I think you could have fun with it's moveset, but I much prefer the hero idea.
I'd be down for a Dragon Quest Hero.

I wouldn't be against it, but having a Slime instead of a playable character in Smash would be like if we got a generic Moogle instead of Cloud. Slimes may appear all throughout the series, and they're an iconic enemy, but the Dragon Quest games are experienced through your protagonist.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'd be down for a Dragon Quest Hero.

I wouldn't be against it, but having a Slime instead of a playable character in Smash would be like if we got a generic Moogle instead of Cloud. Slimes may appear all throughout the series, and they're an iconic enemy, but the Dragon Quest games are experienced through your protagonist.
Unfortunately, there is no "Cloud" character in Dragon Quest, someone whom everyone associates when they hear the name of the series. The closest two are Eight and Erdrick

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Slime is pretty much Dragon Quest's Pikachu, really. Whereas the usual hero is akin to a generic Pokemon Trainer. There's not very many protagonists who aren't intended to be generic.

They did something similar with the first Final Fantasy game, having solely classes. Later games had proper defined protagonists. The Dragon Quest Hero is ultimately not defined(though the descendant, Loto/Erdrick, is). Though there are other proper characters in various games, not counting obviously the ones like Dragon Lord in the first game.

Basically, it'd make a ton of sense to get Slime first. Especially since due to tons of games, has a ton of usable abilities, and you'd only have to take Dragon Quest Monsters into account alone to easily fill out most of the moveset.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

Isn't too out of the question, considering Dragon Quest has crossed over with Mario twice.

Wouldn't be opposed to it. Dunno who would be added though.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I don't blame you. But it's true, I was a Sony bot until I was 12. If it's any consolation, Yoshi's Island is my 2nd favorite game of all time
I can relate. I've always been a Nintendrone since I was younger, and even then, games like Crash and TF2 are becoming some of my personal favorite games in recent memory.
Speaking of which, it's a full moon tonight, so I'll see you all again when my Chicken Kiev disappears.

?????????????

Smash Master
Would having the “generic hero” be all that bad if they were a particularly interesting character/fighter? I mean, we already have “Villager.”

...Or you could just go with Erdrick, if it means that much.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Slime is best Dragon Quest bet.

Everyone else is a bit...

To anyone who isn't the absolute die hard Dragon Quest fan.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Would having the “generic hero” be all that bad if they were a particularly interesting character/fighter? I mean, we already have “Villager.”

...Or you could just go with Erdrick, if it means that much.
I mean avatars are nothing new to Smash :pt::4robinf::4corrinf::4villager::4mii:

Could probably count some of the Pokemon if you consider the Pokemon Mystery Dungeons games

?????????????

Smash Master
Slime is best Dragon Quest bet.

Everyone else is a bit...

To anyone who isn't the absolute die hard Dragon Quest fan.
But is that also the case in Japan?

Pardon me if I’m wrong, but I think the series is a much bigger deal there, so maybe the actually important non-slimes are also bigger deals?

If I remember correctly, “who?” was, by comparison, a bit of the Japanese reception of Little Mac, for instance.

But I’m not an expert.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Id love to play as a Moogle in smash

Chocobo and Black Mage too

Slime is great cause how funny and bizarre it will look fighting. Plus they could incorporate other dq enemies to the moveset

?????????????

Smash Master
Honestly, Slime just dwarfs other characters when it comes to recognizability. I don't know why Sakurai would choose anyone else.
Hmm...

...This isn’t a perfect comparison by any means, but out of curiosity...

Would Rayman or Rabbids be a “more recognizable” Smash newcomer?

Honestly?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Is there a good moveset to be had for Slime that doesn't involve summoning other slimes?
I imagine so, but I'm the wrong person to ask.
Hmm...

...This isn’t a perfect comparison by any means, but out of curiosity...

Would Rayman or Rabbids be a “more recognizable” Smash newcomer?

Honestly?
It's hard to call. Rayman is probably less recognized, but Rabbids are probably less liked.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Depends on who you're talking too. The Rabbids are very successful so they must be well liked. Not among older gamers but kids.

As for Slime? After Playing Rocket Slime and Mario Sports Mix I could see Slime using stretching and squashing in his moveset. A rubbery blob fighter.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So I was thinking, what if Smash had its debut for the NES back in the late 80’s? Besides obvious gameplay and content differences, what do you think the roster would have looked liked?

Due to the technical limitations at the time, at most, the roster would probably be around 5 to 8 characters max.
  1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Link
  4. Samus
  5. Donkey Kong
  6. Balloon Fighter
  7. Mega Man
  8. Simon Belmont
Taking a Super Smash Bros. NES into account, how would a SNES roster look with 12 characters max?

1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Bowser
  4. Yoshi
  5. Link
  6. Samus
  7. Donkey Kong
  8. Diddy Kong
  9. Kirby
  10. Ness
  11. Bomberman
  12. Ryu
Finally, and you are not expected to do this, but how would the roster for Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, Wii U/3DS, and potentially Switch look with those two starting off the series?

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Sigh...so it’s Slime, huh...

I guess I don’t mind; I just really like the Dragon Warrior idea. I can’t get “excited” about playing as Slime in the same way.

I’m gonna keep rebelling about this to myself for now.

So I was thinking, what if Smash had its debut for the NES back in the late 80’s? Besides obvious gameplay and content differences, what do you think the roster would have looked liked?

Due to the technical limitations at the time, at most, the roster would probably be around 5 to 8 characters max.
  1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Link
  4. Samus
  5. Donkey Kong
  6. Balloon Fighter
  7. Mega Man
  8. Simon Belmont
Taking a Super Smash Bros. NES into account, how would a SNES roster look with 12 characters max?

1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Bowser
  4. Yoshi
  5. Link
  6. Samus
  7. Donkey Kong
  8. Diddy Kong
  9. Kirby
  10. Ness
  11. Bomberman
  12. Ryu
Ooh, I conceptualized something similar once! I called them “Smash” and “Super Smash” (like Super Nintendo.)

I might do an answer later, but I need to finally sleep for now.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Unfortunately, there is no "Cloud" character in Dragon Quest, someone whom everyone associates when they hear the name of the series. The closest two are Eight and Erdrick
Erdrick ( or Loto/Roto) would make the most sense to me. They're the playable protagonist of DQIII but even before that they are referenced heavily with either dialogue or items that you find in the game. At least among the Japanese fanbase, their equipment and name are easily recognizable. They're basically the defacto RPG silent protagonist.

But that Slime concept is also really nice. I'd be down with Slime, but at the same time it doesn't feel... proper.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Can ya'll not just have fun with something different for once? You only have to wait a year for a normal Pokemon experience on the Switch anyways.
Tell that to Rerez when he posted this video on his second channel, man this video is pretty cringy to watch:

A bit unrelated but he once post a video last year September predicting that Switch will fail in 2018...

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

With Cloud in Smash Bros, a Dragon Quest rep isn't that far fetched... problem is just which DQ character should be in Smash...

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace

1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Link
  4. Samus
  5. Donkey Kong
  6. Balloon Fighter
  7. Mega Man
  8. Simon Belmont

1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Bowser
  4. Yoshi
  5. Link
  6. Samus
  7. Donkey Kong
  8. Diddy Kong
  9. Kirby
  10. Ness
  11. Bomberman
  12. Ryu
Finally, and you are not expected to do this, but how would the roster for Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, Wii U/3DS, and potentially Switch look with those two starting off the series?
Sounds fun.

Smash Bros. (NES, 1990):
  • Donkey Kong
  • Mario
  • Luigi
  • Little Mac
  • Link
  • Samus
Super Smash Bros. (SNES, 1994):
  • Donkey Kong
  • Mario
  • Luigi
  • Little Mac
  • Link
  • Samus
  • Ness
  • Yoshi
  • Kirby
  • Fox McCloud
Super Smash Bros. 64 (N64, 1998):
  • Donkey Kong
  • Mario
  • Luigi
  • Bowser
  • Little Mac
  • Link
  • Samus
  • Marth
  • Yoshi
  • Captain Falcon
  • Kirby
  • Fox McCloud
  • Pikachu
  • Mewtwo

Last edited:

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
Man I wish the Mega Man 11 version was in smash I like the MVC design if not Sakurai rework the Blue Bomber

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Imo if they go out of their way to get a character from another company it shouldn't be a no name undefined generic character who isn't even a popular request.

I think for guest characters the character themselves matter more than the series they represent.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Question, when does E3 construction at the Staples Center begin usually? This weekend?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Link
  4. Samus
  5. Donkey Kong
  6. Balloon Fighter
  7. Mega Man
  8. Simon Belmont

1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Bowser
  4. Yoshi
  5. Link
  6. Samus
  7. Donkey Kong
  8. Diddy Kong
  9. Kirby
  10. Ness
  11. Bomberman
  12. Ryu
I like this idea. I think it would look something like this:

NES:
  • Mario
  • Luigi (Mario Clone)
  • Donkey Kong
  • Ice Climber
  • Balloon Fighter
  • Duck Hunt

SNES:
  • Mario
  • Luigi
  • Bowser
  • Donkey Kong
  • Ice Climber
  • Balloon Fighter
  • Duck Hunt
  • Link
  • Ganon
  • Takamaru
  • Samus
  • Pit

Smash 64:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Ice Climber
Balloon Fighter
Duck Hunt
Link
Zelda
Ganon
Takamaru
Samus
Metroid (Metroid II Omega Metroid design)
Pit
Marth
Kirby
Pikachu
Mewtwo
Smash Gamecube:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Toad
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Yoshi
Ice Climber
Balloon Fighter
Duck Hunt
Link
Zelda
Ganon
Ganondorf
Young Link (clone)
Takamaru
Samus
Metroid
Pit
Marth
Anna
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Fox

Pikachu
Charizard
Mewtwo
Pichu (clone)
Smash Wii:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Toad
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
Yoshi
Wario
Ice Climber
Balloon Fighter
Duck Hunt
Link
Zelda
Ganon
Ganondorf
Toon Link (Replaces Young Link)
Tetra
Takamaru
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Metroid
Dark Samus (Clone)
Pit
Marth
Anna
Lyn
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Fox
Falco
Pikachu
Charizard
Mewtwo
Lucario
Olimar
Sonic
Smash Wii U/3DS:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Toad
Rosalina
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
Yoshi
Wario
Ice Climber
Balloon Fighter
Duck Hunt
Link
Zelda
Impa
Ganon
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Tetra
Takamaru
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Metroid
Dark Samus
Pit
Palutena
Marth
Anna
Lyn
Ike
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Fox
Falco
Pikachu
Charizard
Mewtwo
Lucario
Greninja
Villager
Olimar
Mii
Wii Fit Trainer
Pac-Man
Mega Man

Sonic
There's a lot more of a focus on established franchises than on introducing new ones. Might be just me being me, though.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
With Cloud in Smash Bros, a Dragon Quest rep isn't that far fetched... problem is just which DQ character should be in Smash...
Easy. For me it is...

Dragon Warrior (Hero from Dragon Quest) or
Eight (Hero from Dragon Quest VIII) or
Slime

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
You know what would really be an off the wall character?

Agnes from Bravely Default.

Have I played the game? No.

Do I know anything about this character? Not in the slightest.

Is she any bit likely by our standards? Probably not.

Does that make her a perfect "Sakurai-pick"? ABSOLUTELY.

Just sayin'.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
So besides the return of ivysaur and squirtle I think we may not get another Pokémon added to the roster. I think sun and moon are going to be x and y-ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom