• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I feel like Let’s Go coming out when it does has to support the notion of Smash coming out pre-November. Which just edges it closer to premiering with the Switch Online service. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ooh, good point, I thought about that a bit earlier but forgot in all of the discussion. If they want to hold up this game as a big first-party title then Smash is definitely not in November, plus December never really made much sense. I'm thinking September at best for Smash with the online and October at worst if need be.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Going by that logic then, Cloud represent Sony as his game is the second best PlayStation game.

Once again. Nintendo's enemy was their own bad decision at the time. Not Sony-

It has 18 games on soon 18 console with a lot of them being multiplatform. FFVII sold 11 million on 4 platform and literally one game.

People are really forgetting the power of multiplatform or the fact that it let out touch a larger selling base.

Look, maybe Crash is an Icons. But he doesn't have the same star power as any third party in the game or even "was" in the game.
Pac-Man/MegaMan/Sonic/Mario/Cloud/Ryu/Snake all managed to get through the test of time (even if for Sonic and MegaMan it was complicated) while Crash didn't and had to bank on nostalgia remake.

This is hardly a feat knowing that Sega went full Idiot during the Saturn era and the only true game they had was Sonic 3D blast. Until Sonic Adventure who was the Sonic Renaissance on the dead console that was the dreamcast.
So you genuinely think that does not matter? Crash was a big deal, sales prove that. Obviously he was not the biggest, but that's just semantics. Crash was big.

Also, Sony was Nintendo's biggest enemy. If the Playstation never existed, all of Nintendo's mistakes would have been irrelevant given they had no credible opposition. Nintendo was not some magic force that no one could affect, Sega alone proved that.

Edit: Based on data the first Crash outsold every Sonic game bar the heavily bundled Sonic 1. So to suggest it was purely the Saturn that led to Sonic's decline is wrong. It began on the Genesis.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Okay.

Crash was nothing short of an icon. End of story.

I swear, are we gonna have to go through another else's sion of explaining that the character with Playstation history is still a gaming icon? I got sick of that with Cloud.
I got sick of people not understanding character importance a long long long time ago. Having to defend characters like Pac Man, Ryu, Cloud, Lara Croft, Chun Li and Crash Bandicoot in a forum dedicated to a video game boggled my mind so much it broke.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Don't count on it. It's one real leak out of a tremendous amount of fake ones. There's at least 1 fake leak a week there, maybe more, that consistently contradict with each other. It's literally impossible to take each one seriously.
I doubt it. 4chan leaks have always been a complete joke, despite being right in the past.

For example, here's one that was right on the money:
View attachment 146169

And here is one that is quite literally on /v/ as I'm typing this:
View attachment 146170

There's always an abundance of "leaks" on 4chan, which are always killing its reputation.
I'm talking about the kind of people that scrape up every little thing and hold it up as a pattern/rule/law. Just because there is a ton of trash, as long as they find a few gems then that's all they need to keep looking. I know 4chan has terrible leaks, that's the point, people will look to them at least a bit more no matter what since they've had some incredible leaks.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Why are people putting stock into anything Emily Rogers says? She has a terrible track record and deletes her wrong predictions constantly (she's deleted her twitter over false rumors). "Ultimate roster (no examples given)" is less than nothing, it's "fill in the blank space with what YOU want so you'll believe it".
Stuff like this, mostly. Over and over and over.
Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 11.05.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 11.06.24 PM.png

Have you actually looked at her track record in full?

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

This ones from march and sorta has some similarities to RelaAlax's stuff if his "p" hint is paper mario.
It names the new fire emblem protagonist as well.
This one is terrible... Inklings being choose due teh ballot? yeah sure, dont say that the inklings werent probably up there, but due to the ballot?

even if some of teh stuff ends being correct (trex mario would be a cool final smash) i still dont buy it. not only he claims having inside info of content on the game, but he also clamis having inside info of WHY that content was developed in the game :/

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I've seen a lot of talk about Crash being a candidate for this Smash, but not really anything about his moveset potential. I never played the games, so could anyone enlighten me on what he brings to the table?
The best way I could describe his playstyle would be to picture a zany, Looney Tunes-esque character. Off the wall animations, lots of squash and stretch, a very crazed fighting style.

His signature spin would likely be his Neutral Special, having virtually no starting or end lag, like in his games, which can give him more air time, extend combos, and bring foes closer to him. A very versatile attack.

His Side Special would have him pull out his Wumpa Bazooka and take an aiming stance. A reticle would appear on screen that you could freely aim, and tapping the special button fires fruit. Exiting requires pressing the A button or jump/shield.

His Up Special would likely be the Arrow Crates, which would appear under him to shoot him upwards. I imagine you could use this twice before hitting the ground.

His Down Special could be a Crate Cycle. Cycle between a Metal, TNT, and Nitro Crate. TNT crates would explode three seconds after being touched, Nitro crates would instantly explode upon being touched with heavy knock back, and Metal Crates would do tons of damage if dropped from midair. Using your spin near a crate will send it hurdling in the direction you're facing.

Final Smash would utilize Aku-Aku, a mask spirit and Crash's friend and guardian. This could grant Crash a power boost and invincibility to knock back.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
The best way I could describe his playstyle would be to picture a zany, Looney Tunes-esque character. Off the wall animations, lots of squash and stretch, a very crazed fighting style.

His signature spin would likely be his Neutral Special, having virtually no starting or end lag, like in his games, which can give him more air time, extend combos, and bring foes closer to him. A very versatile attack.

His Side Special would have him pull out his Wumpa Bazooka and take an aiming stance. A reticle would appear on screen that you could freely aim, and tapping the special button fires fruit. Exiting requires pressing the A button or jump/shield.

His Up Special would likely be the Arrow Crates, which would appear under him to shoot him upwards. I imagine you could use this twice before hitting the ground.

His Down Special could be a Crate Cycle. Cycle between a Metal, TNT, and Nitro Crate. TNT crates would explode three seconds after being touched, Nitro crates would instantly explode upon being touched with heavy knock back, and Metal Crates would do tons of damage if dropped from midair. Using your spin near a crate will send it hurdling in the direction you're facing.

Final Smash would utilize Aku-Aku, a mask spirit and Crash's friend and guardian. This could grant Crash a power boost and invincibility to knock back.
No Belly Flop. For shame Opossum, for shame

ErenJager

Smash Champion
This one is terrible... Inklings being choose due teh ballot? yeah sure, dont say that the inklings werent probably up there, but due to the ballot?

even if some of teh stuff ends being correct (trex mario would be a cool final smash) i still dont buy it. not only he claims having inside info of content on the game, but he also clamis having inside info of WHY that content was developed in the game :/
It was mostly the list of characters that caught my attention that seemed to coincide with the RelaxAlax tweet.

Baby Bowser is Bowser Jr? no?

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice

Hopefully if he's in he won't be this dependent on props. If DK wasn't already in the game, people would write his specials as 3 barrels and the coconut gun. He does have a few actual attacks in his games, usually unlockable.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I saw the trailer for the Let's Go games, and this is all I have to say:
>Looks like we can disregard Gen 8 Pokemon from the base roster of Smash.
>At this point in time, Eevee seems incredibly likely for Smash, and at this point in time, I'm perfectly fine with that (so long as Jiggs doesn't go anywhere)
>Taking into consideration the fact that Trainer Battles are the same as they are in the mainline games, this is probably the closest we'll ever get to a third Colosseum-style game.
>I think I'll definitely be picking up Let's Go Eevee this year. I've only ever played Sun, and I desire more adventures in this franchise.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be on the lam from those who detest the game for what it is as of now.

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
>Taking into consideration the fact that Trainer Battles are the same as they are in the mainline games, this is probably the closest we'll ever get to a third Colosseum-style game.
Did they actually confirm that the battling is normal? As far as I could tell, there were just attack animations and no demonstration of the menu or turn system.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Did they actually confirm that the battling is normal? As far as I could tell, there were just attack animations and no demonstration of the menu or turn system.
As far as I can tell, yep. About over a minute into the trailer, the two trainers get into a battle with a Bug Catcher, and the battle UI features health bars, movesets, PP, and even the Pokemon in both parties.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
As far as I can tell, yep. About over a minute into the trailer, the two trainers get into a battle with a Bug Catcher, and the battle UI features health bars, movesets, PP, and even the Pokemon in both parties.
This is correct - it just looks like the menu has been completely overhauled which was to be expected as the Switch is a single screen console.

Battling stays the same, and I am assuming you weaken your Pokemon in the same manor, you just have to throw your Pokeball now.

My main question is if you can only run into Pokemon in the overworld or if there are still random encounters.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Thanks, I completely missed that part. It makes a lot more sense, because it's a way to get Go players into the core games for the 2019 release. I might actually get it now.
So does it only allow transfers of Gen 1 Pokemon despite Go going up to 3?

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Thanks, I completely missed that part. It makes a lot more sense, because it's a way to get Go players into the core games for the 2019 release. I might actually get it now.
So does it only allow transfers of Gen 1 Pokemon despite Go going up to 3?
Yeah, this tweet by Pokemon says it's Kanto only.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Eeevee concept for Smash (Purely fantasy. Will never happen)

Eevee evolves during battle. The form she evolves into depends on the strategy you use an Eevee stays that way for the rest of the battle (or for the remainder of the mode you are playing)
Ah, well even if it doesn't happen that's an interesting mechanic none the less. The only way I can see Eevee's mechanic work, is by... well I guess mixing Frank West from MvCI playstyle with Olimar. Like how Frank West uses zombies to attack his opponents,

Eevee's Eeveelutions come and attacks with Eevee but only during her attacks and you can choose which Eeveelution you want with to use by using Down B (Assist) (similar to Olimar) to switch between them you can even just choose Eevee if you want.

The hitboxes, Side B (Double Edge) and Up B (Agility) will always remain the same no matter who you chose they'll just different aesthetics, but Neutral B will allow you to launch a different projectile attack depend on who you choose and how long you charge it (you can also store the charge for later like Lucario, Samus, etc.):

Eevee: Swift/Last Resort

Vaporeon: Water Pulse/Hydro Pump

Flareon: Flamethrower/Fire Blast

Jolteon: Electro Ball/Thunderbolt

Espeon: Psyshock/Psybeam

Umbreon: Toxic/Shadow Ball

Leafeon: Energy Ball or Razor Leaf/ Solerbeam

Glaceon: Ice Shard/Ice Beam or Aurora Beam

Slyveon: Fairy Wind/Moonblast

I don't know if it does Eevee justice, but its worth a try.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Have you actually looked at her track record in full?
If you've got a complete list of everything she's said I'd love to take a look at it. I'm personally still waiting on Soul Calibur 5 for Wii U (which doesn't have a hard drive) and Mother 3's overseas release. She was confident enough on two of those that she vowed to never post another rumor, and look where we are now.
It's also worth pointing out that nothing she's said about Smash Bros - the most relevant topic at hand - can actually be verified because of how airy-fairy "Exciting roster" and "content from older games" is. If we're going to discuss her Smash rumors maybe there should be something of substance to... discuss?

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Okay.

Crash was nothing short of an icon. End of story.

I swear, are we gonna have to go through another session of explaining that the character with Playstation history is still a gaming icon? I got sick of that with Cloud.
Not to poke the bear lol, but I grew up with an N64 AND a PS1 (and PS2) and I had friends with both. And I was almost completely unaware of Crash. He's definitely a bigger video game character, but he has never struck me as iconic on the level of Mario or Sonic. Tbh I always thought Spyro was a bigger deal as a kid. And for that matter Spyro makes more sense to me in Smash given the history that Skylanders has with Nintendo (as much as that pains me to say...).

This is not necessarily to say that Crash isn't/wasn't a big deal. But we all have our perceptions, and mine is certainly different than a lot of people arguing for Crash it seems. Which is especially odd since I grew up around the time he was most relevant and was pretty plugged in to what was happening at the time. I had subscriptions to Game Informer, Nintendo Power, and the Official Playstation magazine at varying points and Crash honestly never struck me as a big deal at the time, so never ended up playing his games. It was only much later that I even realized people considered him a gaming icon.

Which is all to say that while I'm sure plenty of people are underselling his iconic status, it seems, to me anyway, plenty are overselling it too. I think the biggest factor on how you feel about that is whether you played his games or not. Particularly when they were new. And I doubt people's opinions will change much either way given that.

P.Kat

Smash Champion

I'm to believe just for Zeraora and T-Rex Mario, but in this case you can't spell believe without a lie.

?????????????

Smash Master
Look, I have literally no experience with Crash. I've never played a single Crash game. He holds no nostalgic value or general interest at all to me, and I don't personally care if he makes it into Smash or not.

But I'm not gonna sit here and pretend he wasn't one of the biggest gaming icons of his time! Crash would be nothing less than a hype-inducing, big-name newcomer joining Mario and Sonic in a big battling brawl. Even as a non-Crash fan, that just SOUNDS awesome, ESPECIALLY for the people who like the idea more than I do!

...I want Rayman.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I wonder if Crash had an issue with a split recognition based on geography. I'd personally heard nearly nothing of him (or Rayman, for that matter) when I was young, but Spyro was all over the place.

It might explain why people are so split on whether he's iconic or not. He might be very well known in some areas and extremely obscure in others.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Hmm, as a kid, I did see some Crash and Spyro games, but never played them much, mostly either tried them at a friend's house or saw them in the dentist's office. I can imagine how recognition for them can be pretty varied depending on one's circumstances.

MBRedboy31 MBRedboy31 Wow, you already changed your avatar to an image from Pokemon Quest. That was fast.

Also I've been on this site less than a month and I'm already a "Smash Journeyman." I apparently can't shut up...
If only I could actually get a Buizel in Pokemon Quest, I had to make a render of one instead, ahaha...
(I've also been here only less than a month and I have only slightly more than a third of the posts you've made, ahaha :p )

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I wonder if Crash had an issue with a split recognition based on geography. I'd personally heard nearly nothing of him (or Rayman, for that matter) when I was young, but Spyro was all over the place.

It might explain why people are so split on whether he's iconic or not. He might be very well known in some areas and extremely obscure in others.
Maybe. Even though during the PS1/N64 era, where the PS1 was DOMINATING sales, I was surrounded by kids who had N64's and I was alone with my PlayStation. This was Tacoma, Washington btw

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Actually, now that I think about it, Crash fans would actually get ANGRY if they decreased his belly flop landing lag. I'm not joking...
Not if you could use his upgraded belly flop from Crash 3 or the one from WoC. In the past, I made a moveset with those moves in mind in a way you can use both the upgraded and not upgraded forms of those moves.

it's on page 3 of the Crash support thread, if you're curious

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Maybe. Even though during the PS1/N64 era, where the PS1 was DOMINATING sales, I was surrounded by kids who had N64's and I was alone with my PlayStation. This was Tacoma, Washington btw
Yeah, it probably depends on a lot of factors.

I'm part of the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox generation, and I swear that the Gamecube was almost as popular as the PS2 was in my little rural area of New Mexico. The Xbox might as well not have even existed here until the 360 came out.

Even when I had a PS2, I ended up giving it away because I didn't really care for it. I had Kingdom Hearts as my only game, and I had over a dozen Gamecube games in comparison.

I don't know if I'm really making much of a point, but it could be that certain companies are way more or less popular than average in different areas. Maybe Sony's was more popular in urban areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom