• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Pikachu can stand on two legs though. Lycanroc's Midday and Dusk Forms are 100% quadrupedal, so they're not able to use firearms in the same way as Pikachu. Midnight Form Lycanroc, however, does not have this problem, but it's far less popular than the Dusk Form.

As for Ivysaur, its vines enabled it to overcome its quadrupedal handicap.
I should point out that it’s already not a requirement that a character actually reach the trigger on the Super Scope in order to fire it. For example, Kirby and Jigglypuff hold it on top of their hands from the middle, and Wario holds it at the middle with one hand from his side. Excluding stuff like using Stealth Rocks to hold and fire the Super Scope, it only really needs to hold it in its moth and turn its head to the side.

prettynice

Smash Apprentice
I am almost 100% sure they wouldn’t do that to us, after being so vague and secretive for the past few months. Let’s just hope I’m right.
I think you're right. Besides, that's just worst case scenario, in my opinion. And, as far as we've seen, Smash isn't known for ports. So, there's a small chance that it'll happen. Me, personally, I'm still taking in all of this news with a grain of salt. You never know what could happen.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Read the pokeera AND smashera threads at the same time for maximum fun
:061:
I just checked it out a minute ago, they're now talking about who to ship Ridley with.

Resetera is now officially my favorite channel.

I disagree with Lycanroc being a good character choice for smash bros. Smash bros already has a doglike pokemon (lucario) and a quadrapedal dog (duck hunt) fighter already. If Zoroark was turned down the last smash bros, I don't see why Lycanroc would be picked for this installment. I have seen the argument that lycanroc was advertised better and has form changes with it's werewolf-like-niche, but I'm just not seeing it when Zoroark was turned down the last game with it's illusion abilities. I also don't know if Sakurai would want day/night cycles for every stage that would determine the character's usefulness or telegraphed form changes.

On the other hand, Mimikyu and Decidueye both have redeeming qualities that would make them different from existing in game fighters and would give them a typing/move uniqueness that differenciates them from the rest of the cast. I understand link is also an archer for one of his moves, but this is not nearly to the extent of decidueye could be with his feathers. Mimikyu's ability (disguise) also proposes an extremely unique mechanic which very few other characters could appeal to: free immunity from the first attack that lands. This can be a massive advantage, basically having a free defense at the start of every stock or life allows for you to be aggressive when spawning in without worries of being overaggressive. Both of these pokemon could also exploit their ghost typings to pull out new and unique movesets.
Just because a potential character carries similarities with others doesn't automatically mean they'd play the same, Greninja and Sheik are good examples of that as both are different takes on a similar concept. Even ignoring that, Duck Hunt and Lycanroc likely wouldn't play the same as both have different traits and tools that aren't shared by the other. The former is based around his Light Gun mechanic, with the character using tools drawn from those games and having assistance from the duck and offscreen player, Lycanroc on the other hand would have Rock and Ground type moves in its kit, which would give it access to moves like Accelrock, Stone Edge, and Drill Run, alongside other Pokémon moves like Counter. There wouldn't be that much overlap in what they do as playable characters, and if both were in the game they likely wouldn't play the same outside of sharing the same locomotion. It'd be like saying Decidueye is redundant because Pit exists and both are archers, yes they share that similarity, but you're dismissing quite a bit about both characters in doing so.

As for Zoroark, we don't know the exact reason why it was turned down, so we can't assume that it was denied due to being similar in appearance to another Pokémon character. In fact, based on what we do know, the implication for its exclusion would actually be timing rather then the character itself as Sakurai set aside a slot for the most recent Pokemon, and Gen 6 was the most recent set at the time. Thus, Zoroark (or any other Gen 5 Pokémon) wouldn't have been considered at the time, they missed their chance and were overlooked for the next big thing.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Agreed. I don't like that Kanto is the only region revisited in the post games. I would really like to see time skips of one of the other regions instead.
I would ask for Hoenn, but admittedly that already had a remake, so hopefully Sinnoh, then Kalos.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This may not be Smash Bros. related, but it seems that we finally got an announcement for the next upcoming amiibo.

Could this mean that Smash Switch might get its own amiibo line-up?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
User was warned for this post
This may not be Smash Bros. related, but it seems that we finally got an announcement for the next upcoming amiibo.

Could this mean that Smash Switch might get its own amiibo line-up?
I hope it's Smash Amiibo cards.... my wallet didn't like it last time.

Imagine we get a Smash trailer after this Pokemon announcement...

Last edited by a moderator:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
First announcement is Pokemon quest, a pixel game that's 'free-to-start' and seems to be coming to Switch and mobile. They're announce 2 more things.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
People were always making jokes about Pikachu becoming taller and thinner, but nobody ever expected Boxachu.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
I guess this is why the roblox and minecraft pokemon games were shut down. Still looks very pretty though. Blocky Pikachu will never be in smash bros tho.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Pokemon Quest

Announcement

Gameplay

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Ugh. More Kanto remakes. >_> I hope those weren't real. Now I completely lost interest.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Good thing this Pokémon stuff doesn’t affect me, though I will check them out

Pakky

Smash Hero
2018 I knew it , yeeyeyeyeye

Can I put a hat on my Slowpoke though?

Nothing about this is bad, I am satisfied.

Now all I need is this 151 rumor debunked.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
2018 I knew it , yeeyeyeyeye

Can I put a hat one my Slowpoke though?
Lets Go is coming in 2018, but the next mainline games aren't coming til the second half of 2019 which is unfortunate.

I don't really want to jump on some sort of bandwagon, but depending on when these games started development, Eevee could actually be strongly considered for Smash.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I wonder if this Pokémon stuff might split people apart or not, and if it’s on the Switch sooner rather than later (also the affects of Smash)

Eevee for Smash?
YES KANTO REMAKE!
I like that Joker Sting pfp

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
There's a mainline RPG coming in 2019 too, which I'm assuming is Gen 8. Makes sense I guess. I'm so torn on this game.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Pokemon Yellow Remake.
Transfer from Pokemon Go to the switch game.
Pokemon follow you.
It's not a core RPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom