• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

?????????????

Smash Master
Okay, but what I REALLY want to talk about now is...

How many Pokémon newcomers do you think we’ll actually get, and what types? One or two? A 7th gen? Maybe another new 1st gen thanks to the upcoming rumored Switch games? Will we get additional ones as DLC?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

How many Pokémon newcomers do you think we’ll actually get, and what types? One or two? A 7th gen? Maybe another new 1st gen thanks to the upcoming rumored Switch games? Will we get additional ones as DLC?
Probably one, personally hoping for 2. I want one of them to be Meowth, and the other to be a gen 7 whether that is Lycanroc, Mimikyu, Bewear, etc. I would fully anticipate one as DLC, especially if we only get one new Pokemon in the base game.

Zeox

Smash Champion

I believe it will be only one, and if there are DLCs probably a second one as DLC.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

1 is fine. And it's hard to say, will they go with Mimikyu or Lycanroc cause of the anime? zerazora cause of the movie? Decidueye for being a starter and completing the starter trinity? a ****ing ultra beast? A first gen poke? Squirtle and Ivysaur? No new mon at all?

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

I think we'll get two, simply because Sun/Moon were the biggest games about to release when the roster was being finalized (2016). Plus, Pokemon is big enough to justify 8 characters in my opinion.

I think Lycanroc is kinda inevitable. He's everywhere in the marketing for Sun and Moon and he's Ash's ace for this season of Pokemon. The second slot is a cross-up between Rowlet, Decidueye, and Mimikyu. I'd like Decidueye the most as I think he would be the most unique of the bunch, but Rowlet is probably the most likely of the three seeing how Ash has one and its the most popular Alola Pokemon according to Famitsu. Mimikyu is kinda a dark horse in the race, but sometimes a dark horse wins, so I figured he's significant enough to mention.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So... Piccolo for Smash?

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

I'm hoping for two, a gen 7 Pokemon, preferably Mimikyu, and then Eevee for the everything but confirmed Switch Gen 1 remake.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325

I've said this a lot, but two.

Squirtle and Ivysaur.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
If we just got Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Pichu back, I'd be extra hyped. I am one of the few who really liked Pichu's inclusion lol.

Polan

Smash Lord

hopefully we get two. every smash game except 4 has added multiple pokemon. my picks would be decidueye and lycanroc. they have a lot of moveset potential, unique typings that lend themselves to making a moveset and just cool designs in general. mimikyu can go and be a pokeball or something.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Just so everyone knows, if you watch Relaxalax's most wanted newcomer videos etc.

His most wanted/ favourite is Paper Mario

I thought it might be worth mentioning...

Start his video around 8:00 minute mark... he calls Paper Mario his golden goose etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDwhYwRanVw

If he's being legit, I could see how P would be such a good hint for people who "know" or watch him.

Otherwise this is just his master plan to get views and subs for videos like this... we may be playing right into his hand. lol!

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Oh its so obvious

I've officially gone mad. Maybe we can talk about something else like the special mechanics you would like the characters you want in to have.

For me I would Lyn from Fire emblem to have an Iaido gauge that fills up for every hit you get on the enemy when it fills completely, her stats gets boosted especially her damage output since she'd be a fast hitting combo speedster who lacks power.

By pressing B, you can preforms the same move as she does in her AT, automatically flash stepping to the nearest (or even through all) opponents and performing a critical strike upon the opponent for high damage and knockback you can even slash through all 8 of them (assuming if 8 player smash returns) if your lucky but the more enemies you cut through this way, and the further your enemy is, the less knockback there is but damage stays the same.

Instead if you slash through most or all your enemies or if they are further away, an very quick animation will show your opponents stunned stiff while Lyn quickly sheaths her blade with a 'click' and the enemies fall to the ground taking high damage similar to Snake's sleeper hold throw (forgot which direction) if timed right enemies can power shield out of it so this move is best done after a combo.

Another idea (a bit more difficult to implement I admit) is she could use afterimages instead after the gauge fills a little with a couple attacking along side her (number of afterimages depend on how full the gauge is max 3, 5 if the system can handle it)allowing her to attack faster and extend her combo kinda like an Astra ability in FE enemies can attack the afterimages to stop them or attack Lyn to cancel the ability altogether.

Or to make it less complex, filling the gauge can activate Astra and the overall speed and the damage of her attacks and movements increase dramatically.

Another characters that could have cool mechanic is the Bo Staff wielding Krystal from Star Fox, for those who don't know she's a telepath. So why not add a mechanic that helps her avoid moves like she's reading the minds and movements of her opponent.

"Reading movements? You mean having visions like what Shulk does?" Quiet you. No, not even close. She would have gauge similar to the staff gauge in Star Fox Adventure except divided into ten segments to fill the gauge, you need to attack your opponent three hits with standard attacks fills one segment (even if you hit with a smash attack it still counts as one) one special attack fills two segments, and a KO fills 5 .

When the gauge is full you just hold shield and whatever attacks that comes land or air will automatically miss Krystal, it even cancels out end lag and shield stun from Krystal's moves and allows her to punish.

The catch is you can only dodge three moves it could be in a row or separate occasions but you can only dodge three moves and only when you hold shield (final smashes not included). Also the gauge increases her overall damage and the elemental powers of her staff (B: Fire Blaster, Side B: Ice blaster, Up B: Rocket Boost, Down B: Ground Quake) so you have to decide: build up your gauge to auto dodge oncoming attacks, or use the gauge to annihilate foes with the forces of nature.

Just my two cents (or twenty) on mechanics I'd like to see on characters that I think could add interesting gameplay. if anyone who want Lyn or Krystal have ideas of their own, I'd love to hear them, and of course if anybody want to describe mechanics they would want their other characters to have let me know to I'd love to hear what all of you come up with (if I remember, I heard someone say that Waluigi should have a cheating mechanic and Daisy a sport/stamina mechanic).

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Ivysaur is by far the most out of left field character in Smash, when you think about it. It just happened that Charizard and Squirte were super popular compared to Bulbasaur.
I'd love to have Ivy back just for that tbh.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Alax, I love you, but even if you're not bull****ting us, I sincerely doubt your source is any more "legitimate" than any of the leaks we've been getting publically lately. :V

T-Hell

Smash Lord

Probably one, and probably from Alola. Probably Decidueye, Mimikyu, Lycanroc or even Bewear (don't sleep on Bewear, especially after Jiggs). But the one I really want and think deserves it, it's Meowth.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
True... but then again, if Smash Switch has the Heroes vs Villains theme and Mimikyu is in, then it would probably be Team Rocket's Mimikyu. The game's Mimikyu is neutral and it only wants to be popular like Pikachu whereas the anime's Mimikyu is a villain who hates Pikachu. And if Mimikyu in Smash Switch is based on Team Rocket's Mimikyu, then the "no anime" rule no longer applies to Team Rocket's Meowth.
Ironically, if I recall correctly, Melee Mewtwo was somewhat based on the one from the first Pokemon movie. Of course, Mewtwo only talked when the language was set to Japanese.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion

Two in the base roster hopefully Lycanroc (dusk form) and Gardevoir. Then one more as DLC Zeraora.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
hopefully we get two. every smash game except 4 has added multiple pokemon. my picks would be decidueye and lycanroc. they have a lot of moveset potential, unique typings that lend themselves to making a moveset and just cool designs in general. mimikyu can go and be a pokeball or something.
....yall gonna make me toxic. I am having an even harder time accepting Waluigi and Decidueye because of comments like this. At least if Daisy and Mimikyu won I wouldn't be a **** about it. All these petty jabs. :skull:

"Decidueye can just go be in a pokeball or something" is not a sentence that would ever leave my mouth. You can be a good sport win or lose why choose to be a poor one.

At least most of the Captain Toad/Paper Mario fans are cool.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'll probably get some hate for this, but unless Dusk Form Lycanroc has psychic powers, carrying a two-handed item will pretty much be impossible for it. Also, if the Daybreak returns, all playable fighters (excluding Final Smashes) have to be able to carry it.

Khao

Smash Lord
....yall gonna make me toxic. I am having an even harder time accepting Waluigi and Decidueye because of comments like this. At least if Daisy and Mimikyu won I wouldn't be a **** about it. All these petty jabs. :skull:

"Decidueye can just go be in a pokeball or something" is not a sentence that would ever leave my mouth. You can be a good sport win or lose why choose to be a poor one.

Win, lose...

Why are Smash characters a competition now, lol.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

People jab at Decidueye supporters because they think they only want a grass type.
People jab at Lycanroc supporters because they think they're only following the anime.
People jab at Mimikyu supporters because they think they're only supporting it because it's popular in the games.

It's the holy trinity of jabs.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Hm... could "P" be a play on leaking? Taking a leak and peeing both mean to urinate, after all.

Either way, I am seriously thinking of unsubscribing from Relax Alax's YouTube channel. This kind of thing is pretty distasteful.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
I disagree with Lycanroc being a good character choice for smash bros. Smash bros already has a doglike pokemon (lucario) and a quadrapedal dog (duck hunt) fighter already. If Zoroark was turned down the last smash bros, I don't see why Lycanroc would be picked for this installment. I have seen the argument that lycanroc was advertised better and has form changes with it's werewolf-like-niche, but I'm just not seeing it when Zoroark was turned down the last game with it's illusion abilities. I also don't know if Sakurai would want day/night cycles for every stage that would determine the character's usefulness or telegraphed form changes.

On the other hand, Mimikyu and Decidueye both have redeeming qualities that would make them different from existing in game fighters and would give them a typing/move uniqueness that differenciates them from the rest of the cast. I understand link is also an archer for one of his moves, but this is not nearly to the extent of decidueye could be with his feathers. Mimikyu's ability (disguise) also proposes an extremely unique mechanic which very few other characters could appeal to: free immunity from the first attack that lands. This can be a massive advantage, basically having a free defense at the start of every stock or life allows for you to be aggressive when spawning in without worries of being overaggressive. Both of these pokemon could also exploit their ghost typings to pull out new and unique movesets.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
People jab at Decidueye supporters because they think they only want a grass type.
People jab at Lycanroc supporters because they think they're only following the anime.
People jab at Mimikyu supporters because they think they're only supporting it because it's popular in the games.

People jab at Zeraora by not even mentioning Zeraora. xD

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Did not he also admit he was just lucky with online service release date, and that all the rest was fake ?
Only Vergeben has not been debunked so far.
From what I heard yes but never seen any actual quotes/screenshots of him saying that

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The "P" actually stands for "pathetic."

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I disagree with Lycanroc being a good character choice for smash bros. Smash bros already has a doglike pokemon (lucario) and a quadrapedal dog (duck hunt) fighter already. If Zoroark was turned down the last smash bros, I don't see why Lycanroc would be picked for this installment. I have seen the argument that lycanroc was advertised better and has form changes with it's werewolf-like-niche, but I'm just not seeing it when Zoroark was turned down the last game with it's illusion abilities. I also don't know if Sakurai would want day/night cycles for every stage that would determine the character's usefulness or telegraphed form changes.

On the other hand, Mimikyu and Decidueye both have redeeming qualities that would make them different from existing in game fighters and would give them a typing/move uniqueness that differenciates them from the rest of the cast. I understand link is also an archer for one of his moves, but this is not nearly to the extent of decidueye could be with his feathers. Mimikyu's ability (disguise) also proposes an extremely unique mechanic which very few other characters could appeal to: free immunity from the first attack that lands. This can be a massive advantage, basically having a free defense at the start of every stock or life allows for you to be aggressive when spawning in without worries of being overaggressive. Both of these pokemon could also exploit their ghost typings to pull out new and unique movesets.
Except the reason why Lycanroc is popular has nothing to do with him being a canine or a quad. Most of his supporters genuinely want him in Smash because they think it'd be cool to have a fighter with geokinesis.

Decidueye and Mimikyu are unique, but don't act like those are the only two options with potential.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I'll probably get some hate for this, but unless Dusk Form Lycanroc has psychic powers, carrying a two-handed item will pretty much be impossible for it. Also, if the Daybreak returns, all playable fighters (excluding Final Smashes) have to be able to carry it.
Not really, have it so Dusk Form Lycanroc can hold items via Geokinesis two rocks about as big as his\her paws grip around whatever items they want to hold. It's like how Mewtwo holds items but the way Lycanroc does it (dare I say it) rocks. :D

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord

If it’s any consolation, I’m pulling for Mimikyu. I think he has a ton of potential, especially if they lean into the ghost/eerie side of things.

It really is a shame that sometimes people turn pulling for characters into some kind of petty, personal feud. We don’t need other people’s ideas to get crushed for ours to be valid. I even find that attitude sneaking into my own speech sometimes, and it really shouldn’t be that way :/

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
This is possibly the most fun I have ever had making a prediction list. It started out as a joke, then I realized all these characters are actually possible because of the ballot and now I’m going to keep it as my final roster. I present to you the newest characters that will be added to Smash 5.

Takamaru
Hunter (Monster Hunter)
Inklings
Simon Belmont

Isaac
Skullkid

Andy

Paper Mario
Ridley
Ashley
Nester (With the Power Glove)
King K Rule

P.Kat

Smash Champion

More jabs than the characters in Smash itself? Impossible!

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Oh and hey apparently I found the original source of the Lazzyman rumor ppl brought up (thanks for the heads up everyone I really didn't know that) https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/414524048

In any case I still call bull since the original leak still mentions the GB games and the dedicated voice chat service thing which both went unmentioned on the Switch online announcement (they only mentioned NES games and explicitly mentioned the bad phone app thing for voice chat)

EDIT: also noticed the original leak does not mention Kanto at any point. Guess that if the Let's Go rumor is real, the Lazzyman version only did a lucky guess

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Not really have it so Dusk Form Lycanroc can hold items via Geokinesis two rocks about as big as his\her paws grip around whatever items they want to hold. It's like how Mewtwo holds items but the way Lycanroc does it (dare I say it) rocks. :D
Wolves are strong they could carry a two hand item in it's jaw.
They drag large animals irl.
It's a fictional wolf monster creature, it can be as strong as it needs to be.

Nebunera

Smash Apprentice

I'd love to have 3 but I feel only one of them are coming.

I want Sceptile and Decidueye as playable characters since we have never had a fully evolved grass starter yet, I have a feeling they are gonna do it.

Also wish they would bring back Squirtle :squirtle:, was my favorite back in Brawl. I liked Ivysaur and Squirtle better than Charizard, so I didn't really like that they brought back Charizard...

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Is there a franchise represented in Smash that we have yet to predict a newcomer from? I feel like we’ve been through every single one

Only one, and it should be a grass type...grass to match up with the fire and water combo of :4charizard::4greninja:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace

I think just one. Whoever is more fitting between Decidueye, Mimikyu and Lycanroc :p
however Gen VIII/Eevee/whoever's the new flavor of the month is a lock for DLC/updates I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom