• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
This exact same situation happened with Smash 4. Every popular Smash YouTuber and then some said they had info on who the last DLC characters were gonna be. One of them even "leaked" it, though I can't remember what characters they mentioned. Come Cloud's reveal, they all revealed that they didn't know anything.
Then they should have had repercusions by losing fans and followers, I hope.
It's like if GameXplain one day says they know for certain Ridley and Geno, for example, are in, then, come to the full release of the game, one finds out they are not, and they say "hey we were messing around it wasn't true". I don't know about you but I would inmediatelly unsuscribe to their channel and unfollow them on Twitter, because to me they would have lost all seriousness and professionalism.

(lol at all the users/guests in the thread)

Well, it seems like info is being passed around like a hot-potato.

If there really is any big info, im sure that someone is going to let it slip eventually. Tight lips arent really a common theme for smashers.
:061:

domokl

Smash Lord
The way Alpharad in particular jumped into this makes it seem fake to me tbh.
He goes from “what leak?” To “Ohhhh that leak” so quickly.
You think he would know immediately if he was really given a list of a few new newcomers.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Pretty sure the point RelaxAlax is making is that there's going to be some longtime favorites. Considering he can only confirm at least 5 newcomers, he obviously doesn't know the whole roster.

Though to be honest, Porky doesn't sound like one. Another possibility is Geno is playable only, with Mallow showing up for some moves/Final Smash. That'd still be technically Geno and Mallow as a team, just not in the way some would expect.
I don't think it'll be a 100% fan favorites roster, and neither should it, surprise characters are some of the most beloved amongst the Smash community. That's not to say anything on the legitimacy of the Imgur leak, there's really no reason to believe it other than wishful thinking, but in case some obscure character gets announced at E3 it doesn't automatically make the claim that it's going to be a fan service roster wrong.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't think it'll be a 100% fan favorites roster, and neither should it, surprise characters are some of the most beloved amongst the Smash community. That's not to say anything on the legitimacy of the Imgur leak, there's really no reason to believe it other than wishful thinking, but in case some obscure character gets announced at E3 it doesn't automatically make the claim that it's going to be a fan service roster wrong.
Yep. Every game has some characters we don't expect, after all.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
P obviously means Ridley... i mean

Pterodactyl
Pirate
Perfection
Punylittlehumans!
Pandering
Plasma
Plight
P,idley
Peeeee-Daisy! Only logical conclusion.

I actually wouldn't mind Pichu but at this point I'm actually believing the Porky thing....

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
We really should have seen the alphanumeric character 'P' coming

Think about how many iconic game (menus) this character has been in.

Metroid Prime.
Pacman.
Pikmin.
Pokemon.

I'm honestly embarrassed I didn't make the connection myself sooner.

domokl

Smash Lord
If Porky were to actually get in, I would wonder what pushed Sakurai to add him.
Earthbound during Smash 4 only had 1 character on launch, after all, would a hypothetical Heroes vs Villains theme really push him into the spotlight?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
And now I just realized that he's going to infact write Five "Characters" as in Letters to write P-R-A-N-K.
Five newcomers. P-R-A-N-K.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
And now I just realized that he's going to infact write Five "Characters" as in Letters to write P-R-A-N-K.
Wow, thats actually a really good observation. If his next letter is R then your theory is pretty much confirmed lol.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Hmmm... I smell the bait-
I wouldn't be surprised if, like you said earlier, he starts to spell "Pranked" indeed.
Meh, whatever, these stuff is fun, especially after a long drought, but as always I will remain cautious and not expect any of this at all.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
P stands for Persona obviously. Anyways, Alpharaad's response to this seems like he was calling it out, then some YouTuber just messaged him and said "nah man go along with it!" and he horribly tried to play it off like there was something there.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I just tweeted him exactly that. Let's see how he reacts, if he even responds to me.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Unless Team Rocket's Meowth somehow gets the approval, Meowth will probably be treated as a neutral character.
True... but then again, if Smash Switch has the Heroes vs Villains theme and Mimikyu is in, then it would probably be Team Rocket's Mimikyu. The game's Mimikyu is neutral and it only wants to be popular like Pikachu whereas the anime's Mimikyu is a villain who hates Pikachu. And if Mimikyu in Smash Switch is based on Team Rocket's Mimikyu, then the "no anime" rule no longer applies to Team Rocket's Meowth.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The P clearly stands for Patience.

You know, the thing this fanbase needs during the next two weeks. :p

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I'm just taking them as liar for the purposes to keep my feelings neutral on E3 ending the rumor

Besides I have more important things to think about I go back to school tomorrow

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I need more context.

What is going on again?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Thank you for stating how I've felt for some time but was afraid of stating. A part of the reason why I want a large focus to be on ballot choices so that this thread would be focus more on what people are actually passionate about instead of merely focusing on what is expected because of "TEH RECENCY!"
I will admit, we have fallen into this trap of discussing likelihood over passionate choices, and the latter's something we should see more of. Since we don't have much to talk about, it seems like every conversation about a character circles back to how 'likely' they are rather then how much we want to see them or how the character would play or interact, and that's not a lot of fun since it means we may be overlooking characters that would be nice to talk about.

That's partially why I don't mind discussing rumors at the moment since, at least with the ones that are somewhat plausible, you get people talking about the characters in them as characters before you get to the dismissal phase. A good example of that is Simon Belmont, who beforehand I don't think many of us were giving him the time of day. Then comes in the Vergeban leak, and then we ended up having a good few pages of discussion over how his whip could work, what his design could be, what alts he could have, and so on. That was pretty nice to see since for a while we weren't thinking exclusively in terms of likelihood, we were talking about a character that people thought was interesting and what would make him interesting, and that type of conversation was good for the time.

With E3 around the corner, I think we'll see that spark ignite again since then we'll have a good idea of what the game is, but regardless it would be nice to have more discussions like that. Talking about what a character can do can be more enjoyable then just thinking about whether they're likely as we're not just here to guess the roster, we are also here to discuss our favorites, so maybe we could have a bit more of the latter with these topics since that is something we can be very passionate about.

Smashers are the fanbase where literally posting the letter 'P' can bring the entire fanbase into a frenzy
Well, at least we can take solace in that we're not like the Pokémon fanbase at the moment. Reading through Resetera's Pokémon thread is better then cable.

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
P? That's all I can think of:

Porky Minch
Pyra
Peppy Hare
Phoenix Whright
Princess Daisy
Pauline
Professor E. Gadd
Professor Layton
Proto Man
Poipole
Plusle and Minun
Pichu
Pheromosa
Persian
Prince Fluff

I will admit, this is something I think we should see more of, and we've all fallen into this trap of discussing likelihood over passionate choices. Since we don't have much to talk about, it seems like every conversation about a character circles back to how 'likely' they are rather then how much we want to see them or how the character would play or interact, and that's not a lot of fun since it means we may be overlooking characters that would be nice to talk about.

That's partially why I don't mind discussing rumors at the moment since, at least with the ones that are somewhat plausible, you get people talking about the characters in them as characters before you get to the dismissal phase. A good example of that is Simon Belmont, who beforehand I don't think many of us were giving him the time of day. Then comes in the Vergeban leak, and then we ended up having a good few pages of discussion over how his whip could work, what his design could be, what alts he could have, and so on. That was pretty nice to see since for a while we weren't thinking exclusively in terms of likelihood, we were talking about a character that people thought was interesting and what would make him interesting, and that type of conversation was good for the time. It'd be great to have more of that type of thing, and hopefully E3 will be the catalyst to get us talking about that again.

Well, at least we can take solace in that we're not like the Pokémon fanbase at the moment. Reading through Resetera's Pokémon thread is better then cable.
Read the pokeera AND smashera threads at the same time for maximum fun

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Thank you for stating how I've felt for some time but was afraid of stating. A part of the reason why I want a large focus to be on ballot choices so that this thread would be focusing more on what people are actually passionate about instead of merely focusing on what is expected because of "TEH RECENCY!"
Well you know me, am not ever affraid of controversy in most cases. I also genuinely hope they won't go down the same route with character additions as with Smash 4. And I don't believe they WILL... Because Smash 4 was released on a handheld for the very first time, and the Wii U did poorly. Plus, it clearly didn't go down the same route of what characters where chosen for games as Melee and Brawl, which was what most where expecting.

Relevancy has become the norm, and people are using "advertisement reasons" for just about EVERY possible character, ESPECIALLY third party ones. It's getting a bit state. I applaud our trolling YouTubing overlords therefore, just to make people think a LITTLE out of the box.

Am also guessing Sakurai will include a lot of ballot characters, and maybe even pick a few newcomers from there just because of their unique potential. Because the whole ballot had you fill in how a character should play and everything. For example, with the Melee poll, Ganondorf was clearly the most popular choice, but he innitially went for Zelda / Sheik because of their unique concept as a character (at that time).

We'll be blown away yet again at E3, and no fake leaks can troll me. But am loving the effect it has on the community so far.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Paper Mario
Ridley
Ashley
N...
King k rule

I thought I was on to something

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I will admit, we have fallen into this trap of discussing likelihood over passionate choices, and the latter's something we should see more of. Since we don't have much to talk about, it seems like every conversation about a character circles back to how 'likely' they are rather then how much we want to see them or how the character would play or interact, and that's not a lot of fun since it means we may be overlooking characters that would be nice to talk about.
Because everytime someone tries to do this kind of passionate discussion, some rude user comes and say we're dumb for wanting such a character in the game or whatever

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
“Hey guys are we still talking about Mario, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade like alwa-“

“P.”

“What?”

“P.”

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
If any of this business is real, it will be out by the end of the week. No way any Youtuber is going to keep a lid on it for longer than that...

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
All right, since I'm bored and have nothing to do, I'll take a crack at this.

Assuming RelaxAlax is actually hinting at a newcomer, the only characters who would make sense to me are Paper Mario, Pauline, and Pyra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom