• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
So what even is the leak? From what I’ve heard, Nintendo sent a bunch of YouTubers highly classified information. Why? And why is only Alax dropping breadcrumbs. Why are we believing this besides “uhhh Alax seems like a nice guy”?
Man, if they are sending these guys classified information for real, then that's on them if they end up teasing or straight up telling stuff. They should know by now you can't trust these people not to leak stuff :p

ErenJager

Smash Champion
The more Youtubers I see claim to have information, but not stating anything outright...

The skeptical side of my brain says this, no I don't think it's an elaborate troll.

What I think it is... There are Youtubers that see individuals with prominence and notability within the community.
When they say something open ended and a generalization they also see those individuals gain more attention/ focus.
Which then translates into views, etc. therefore income.

I think people are just trying to get attention, views, whatever because Smash Bros brings that look at any channel that covers it and compare their videos.

I also think every single leak is fake, besides the ones that are expressed by people with reputation to lose.
But those leaks from them are very umm probable or safe... or in the very least arguable for them to say it is despite the subjective outcome.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
in subspace emissary the 2 villains were working at master hand orders, then they realized that master hand was a puppet, then they got angry at being used and decided to go against taboo. what I was saying is, villains do their own ****, then a new dude force comes and try to destroy them.
I dunno, I don't work for nintendo, they don't pay me to write them a story (and thank god because it would be awful)
And of course right now there is not enough villains, that's why a new game with +6 villains or so would be cool, then we put the other 3 we already have, add dedede because why not and dark pit because edgy and there we go.
There are still more heroes but villains usually have lots of minions on their side.
Dark Pit May be edgy, but he knows better to not help any villains (even thought that’s what he was created to do in a way...before he glitched/the Mirror of Truth broke)
This argument doesn't work. Mega Man's last game was merely two years before the roster for Smash 4 was finalised. Or was Punch Out a dead franchise before Smash 4?
...can I say yes, since they completed the story of Little Mac while Mega Man had an anticipated game cancelled and he had a pedo version of himself appear in Street Fighter X Tekken (and also the time when there were people praising Nintendo for bringing him back to life). A completed series is one thing, but cancelled games, no real attention (and Bad Box Art Mega-Pedo) for a good amount of time is another (the DKC main series and Metroid were dead for some time, but both still got repped...not a good example, but it popped up...and it’s better to forget about StarFox or F-Zero)

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
So onto a slightly more serious topic, if RelaxAlax is correct and we end up with five newcomers at E3, which characters would you expect?

Inklings would be the first, so that's a freebie. If the rumors are correct, Ridley would definitely be an E3 reveal due to his massive support. I'm not sure about Pokemon, Mario, or Zelda reps being shown off, but I definitely think they're a top contender. Last would probably be a third-party reveal.

So my prediction looks something like this.

Inklings
Ridley
Lycanroc and/or Captain Toad and/or Mipha
Simon Belmont
Inklings, Ridley, Mimikyu, Belmont, and a unexpected character (ala Ice Climbers in Melee reveal, Pit in Brawl and WFT in SSB4)

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I'm so over all of this leak talk. It's gotten really dumb and lame. I really don't believe any of it at this point.

Vergeben's is the only notable leak to have any sort of legitimacy I feel, and even then it could very well be false.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I know the Pokémon are all based on their anime incarnations for the most part, but man do I hope Sakurai bucks that trend if Mimikyu is indeed in.

I like Mimikyu and all, but they butchered it in the anime to the point where it's an edgy parody of itself. :/
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so. I was so down to give the anime a second chance since the animation was actually pretty new and Mimikyu was supposedly getting a decent role as Jessie's mon.....then it turns out to be this demonic creature hellbent on hurting Pikachu.

Like why go from 0-100 anime people?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The more YouTubers I see claiming that have info on Smash the more I think this is just a collaborated effort to troll everyone.
This exact same situation happened with Smash 4. Every popular Smash YouTuber and then some said they had info on who the last DLC characters were gonna be. One of them even "leaked" it, though I can't remember what characters they mentioned. Come Cloud's reveal, they all revealed that they didn't know anything.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Dark Pit May be edgy, but he knows better to not help any villains (even thought that’s what he was created to do in a way...before he glitched/the Mirror of Truth broke)

...can I say yes, since they completed the story of Little Mac while Mega Man had an anticipated game cancelled and he had a pedo version of himself appear in Street Fighter X Tekken (and also the time when there were people praising Nintendo for bringing him back to life). A completed series is one thing, but cancelled games, no real attention (and Bad Box Art Mega-Pedo) for a good amount of time is another (the DKC main series and Metroid were dead for some time, but both still got repped...not a good example, but it popped up...and it’s better to forget about StarFox or F-Zero)
Kinda throwing out the word "pedo" around way too lightly, man. :/

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
This exact same situation happened with Smash 4. Every popular Smash YouTuber and then some said they had info on who the last DLC characters were gonna be. One of them even "leaked" it, though I can't remember what characters they mentioned. Come Cloud's reveal, they all revealed that they didn't know anything.
I also recall a few sources on Twitter boasting about either Wolf or Inkling being locked as DLC. No clue if they later said they were just messing up with people, but I know one or a few of them constantly fabricates info to hype people (and they still have lots of followers lmao)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I also recall a few sources on Twitter boasting about either Wolf or Inkling being locked as DLC. No clue if they later said they were just messing up with people, but I know one or a few of them constantly fabricates info to hype people (and they still have lots of followers lmao)
Nintendo wouldn't put their flagship "new" character as DLC, even Capcom, who was dumb enough to lock almost all newcomers in MVCI behind a season pass knew to have Mega Man X and Captain Marvel on the starter roster.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
The more YouTubers I see claiming that have info on Smash the more I think this is just a collaborated effort to troll everyone.
Then that's easy, everyone who ever trusted them stops doing so and stops following them and it's over for them.

I'm so over all of this leak talk. It's gotten really dumb and lame. I really don't believe any of it at this point.

Vergeben's is the only notable leak to have any sort of legitimacy I feel, and even then it could very well be false.
Yeah, we should instead debate again about an 8th gen pokemon, Fire Emblen or Rex & Pyra. That sounds refreshing enough.

Last edited:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
How about reading less than five pages?
We don't know who dropped those news to them. Probably not Nintnedo.
They probably have an external source.
How about not dropping a condescending remark every time someone asks a question?

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Some people are saying RelaxAlax was the one who did or spread the Rayman fake leak in Smash 4, is that true? Because if it is then he can go **** himself.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Some people are saying RelaxAlax was the one who did or spread the Rayman fake leak in Smash 4, is that true? Because if it is then he can go **** himself.
The one who created the Rayman leak was ArtsyOmni.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Could someone explain who they represent? I get some like Ice Climbers, but...
Here you have, you're welcome!:

1. Ice Climbers (Ice Climber)
  2. Mimikyu (Pokémon)
  3. Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
  4. Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven)
  5. Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)
  6. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
  7. Wolf (Star Fox)
  8. Ridley (Metroid)
  9. King K. Rool (Donkey Kong)
  10. Medusa (Kid Icarus)
  11. Porky Minch (Mother / Earthbound)
  12. Samurai Goroh (F-Zero)
  13. Simon Belmont (Castlevania)
  14. Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
  15. Geno & Mallow (Super Mario RPG)
  16. Solid Snake (Metal Gear)

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Being honest, the smash 4 newcomers were, for me, the least interesting.
the only ones I got a little hype was megaman and the koopalings, the rest were ok, either I didn't knew them or I didn't care.
opinions are opinions and I know a lot of you loved the newcomers from that game, but they really weren't for me.
The reason why I hope this super fake leak is real is because it's been a long time since I got really hyped for a smash... or a game in general.
I think the only ones I was legit marking out for were

Bowser Jr, Little Mac, Lucina (I marked the **** out then went a 180 on Robin being revealed lmao), Greninja, Megaman, and Cloud

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
How about not dropping a condescending remark every time someone asks a question?
We've been explaining all discussed leaks in three pages. ALMOST once per page since the discussion started
After awhile, repeating things that were said less than an hour ago is becoming tiring.

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Being honest, the smash 4 newcomers were, for me, the least interesting.
the only ones I got a little hype was megaman and the koopalings, the rest were ok, either I didn't knew them or I didn't care.
opinions are opinions and I know a lot of you loved the newcomers from that game, but they really weren't for me.
The reason why I hope this super fake leak is real is because it's been a long time since I got really hyped for a smash... or a game in general.
I thought I was the only one who wasn't interested in the Smash 4 newcomers.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Exactly this.

Besides, all the Ridley talk is 1000% guaranteed to stir people up. Cause all the last 2 eras of Smash speculation, Ridley was just about the main topic.

Things love to repeat themselve it seems.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
It's not the same with some people. RelaxAlax has a reputation and I believe the guys here saying they know him enough to know he's loyal and honest with his fans.
Ok, so tell me this. What does one have to gain by saying that they know spoilers, but won't say what the spoilers are?

The only answer to this is attention.

There are three cases here.
1. They have real, leaked info, in which case dropping any news would screw their source to the moon, so it's irresponsible for them to be coy about having knowledge. If they really have knowledge, they can never tell us, therefore there's no reason to pay attention to them.

2. They have fake, leaked info, that they believe. This is largely the same as the previous case, except now they're also naive and stupid as well as irresponsible.

3. They have no info and are just riding the hype wave for more attention. Funny enough, you don't actually need insider info to ride the wave. You just need a half-recognizable name. Then, when all the real info hits, there's no way to prove anything. Even if you leak wrong info, you can just be like 'Well, I guess my source was wrong, sorry guys'.

So in all three of those cases, I don't want to actually give them any attention. They're all bad. The best way to deal with an attention ***** is to ignore them. The only reason people follow them is because they're ravenous for new info, and don't care about the consequences. They hope and hope and hope that one of these guys is case #1, that they'll slip up and drop something real, and then we'll have a tidbit of new information. But that does a lot more harm than good. People lose their jobs. Reputations are destroyed. Everything has consequences. So those people need to staple their balls to the inside of their trousers and just wait for E3 or something official.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ok, so tell me this. What does one have to gain by saying that they know spoilers, but won't say what the spoilers are?

The only answer to this is attention.

There are three cases here.
1. They have real, leaked info, in which case dropping any news would screw their source to the moon, so it's irresponsible for them to be coy about having knowledge. If they really have knowledge, they can never tell us, therefore there's no reason to pay attention to them.

2. They have fake, leaked info, that they believe. This is largely the same as the previous case, except now they're also naive and stupid as well as irresponsible.

3. They have no info and are just riding the hype wave for more attention. Funny enough, you don't actually need insider info to ride the wave. You just need a half-recognizable name. Then, when all the real info hits, there's no way to prove anything. Even if you leak wrong info, you can just be like 'Well, I guess my source was wrong, sorry guys'.

So in all three of those cases, I don't want to actually give them any attention. They're all bad. The best way to deal with an attention ***** is to ignore them. The only reason people follow them is because they're ravenous for new info, and don't care about the consequences. They hope and hope and hope that one of these guys is case #1, that they'll slip up and drop something real, and then we'll have a tidbit of new information. But that does a lot more harm than good. People lose their jobs. Reputations are destroyed. Everything has consequences. So those people need to staple their balls to the inside of their trousers and just wait for E3 or something official.
If believing a leak that turned out to be fake makes someone stupid, you just called 80% of this thread idiots.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
It may not be collaborated effort, but I get the feeling all these YouTubers got the same idea. ****ing with the Smash community is just so damn easy.

D

Deleted member

Didn't those people also say they knew stuff before Corrin and Bayo were shown off? And then backtrack after/shortly before the reveal?

I think the biggest reason I distrust this stuff (including Vergeben) is that it all seems too...wish fulfillment, for lack of better words. While a lot of these characters are choices that would appeal to the super hardcore Smash fanbase, none of them seem like ones that would be "boxart worthy" marketing sellers apart from characters like Sora, and big marketing characters are typically what Nintendo uses for Smash. Plus, this all stems from a game of pictionary on imgur, so that alone is enough to discredit it in my personal opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
We've been explaining all discussed leaks in three pages. ALMOST once per page since the discussion started
After awhile, repeating things that were said less than an hour ago is becoming tiring.
If you had basic reading comprehension, you would have been able to tell that my question wasn’t “what is the leak we’re talking about”, but it was moreso “why exactly is this credible enough for people to heavily discuss it?” In the future, don’t bother replying to any of my questions if you plan on sneaking a snide remark in the answer.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Maybe I missed something but what makes the imgur leak anymore credible than any other leak we've had to date?
Literally the only thing is that it has a lot of "fan favorites."

As of now it's no more credible than Tower of Smash, but some folks take it as gospel because it has K. Rool on it.

Zeox

Smash Champion
> noone of the leaks were true
> this is not the best roster but the worst
> cuts everywhere
> COD character, Steve from minecraft and Bubsy are the new reps
> Sakurai confirms that he made up all the leaks to mess up with people, then laughs at us for 10 minutes, E3 ends

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Maybe I missed something but what makes the imgur leak anymore credible than any other leak we've had to date?
TL;DR it's riding both Emily Roger and the Simon/Ice Climbers leaks by complementing them and not contradicting them.
It doesn't use "shoe-in" Characters like Dee/Decidueye/Rex/Arms which is a novelty in the fake leaks territory

But it's still 98% fake.

IronTed

Smash Ace
It also doesn't help we haven't gotten any information since the reveal in March, which itself had little information. People are thirsty, and these leaks give them something to latch onto and debate.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Does anyone know what days and times the Nintendo E3 stuff is at? Just wanna know for when it actually happens.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Absolutely nothing. It could be real, but there's absolutely no reason to believe it more than literally anyone else's prediction roster.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. People are just desperate for something. E3 is just around the corner. This is the time where hype is nearing its peak, and it brings lots of delusion with it.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
If believing a leak that turned out to be fake makes someone stupid, you just called 80% of this thread idiots.
Well, I'm not judging them for it. I've been there myself. I understand how easy it is to get caught up in the hype wave. There's an element of fun to it. It's my personal favorite part of the speculation era. And really, most people are idiots anyways (myself included), so they shouldn't take it too harshly.

However, to be a little more precise, I was targeting the people who claim to have leaked knowledge, who think they really do have leaked knowledge, and are really just getting fooled by a fake source. That's a second layer of stupidity added on to the first. People with influence should know that they'll be the target for fake leaks if the source wants any sort of widespread talk. Critical thinking is an important skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom