• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:denzel:....
Really?

Ahem. He's a pretty nice and kind Smash YouTuber, dude have no reason to lose his reputation like that. He's behind the famous "Know your move" series. And yeah...he wouldn't ruin his reputation like that. If he says he can confirm at least 5 Newcomers I think we can believe him
Who are these 5 newcomers?

Still don't believe it honestly.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
mimikyu isn't exactly a villain tho
That's why I did villians/rivals. Especially if you pull more from the anime inspiration which Sakurai has done for Pokemon in the past (Lucario is like 90% based off the anime).

more bad guys:
game n watch
Villager
Lucina
R.O.B
Charizard
Metaknight.
Little Mac
Hmm this hero v. villians just maybe. jejej
I forgot about this!...There are some odditites though like Little Mac and Lucina. If they go off the rival thing Little Mac vs. Ryu and Lucina vs. Marth?

But the leak did specify heroes vs. "villians" right? Yea fun idea but doesn't seem likely :/

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
That list of newcomers seems to be a lot of wishful thinking. Kept out some characters in demand to stay more grounded. Bandana Dee, Decidueye*, Spring Man, and Rex are omissions that will get people's attention.

*Although i still think he won't be the Pokemon we get after some thought.
If you consider Smash's development, the roster would likely be decided before ARMS or Xenobade 2 had any final concept art, so their exclusion makes sense.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If you consider Smash's development, the roster would likely be decided before ARMS or Xenobade 2 had any final concept art, so their exclusion makes sense.
The first footage of both games was shown off at the 2017 January Switch presentation. If they weren't close to having finalized designs six months prior to that, then the devs were really pushing it with their deadline.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I better finalize my predictions soon before potential leaked info for Smash comes sooner before E3. The people claiming great things about newcomers today have got me under pressure. :L

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's why I did villians/rivals. Especially if you pull more from the anime inspiration which Sakurai has done for Pokemon in the past (Lucario is like 90% based off the anime).

I forgot about this!...There are some odditites though like Little Mac and Lucina. If they go off the rival thing Little Mac vs. Ryu and Lucina vs. Marth?

But the leak did specify heroes vs. "villians" right? Yea fun idea but doesn't seem likely :/
I know the Pokémon are all based on their anime incarnations for the most part, but man do I hope Sakurai bucks that trend if Mimikyu is indeed in.

I like Mimikyu and all, but they butchered it in the anime to the point where it's an edgy parody of itself. :/

Last edited:

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Either the ninjas threatened him or someone in the know chewed him out for saying anything at all. Saying outright that a bunch of YouTubers know now the roster of Nintendo's most hotly anticipated game of 2018 is probably not the best idea.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Topic: I would like to note something very interesting. I re-read an article surrounding on Sakurai had making an entire moveset for Greninja in one night when the Pokemon Company sent him some Pokemon to look at based on here:

https://mynintendonews.com/2014/12/...he-inclusion-of-greninja-in-super-smash-bros/

ND: When not you are not developing and there is a new title or character released, you are not thinking about “How about that one in the next Smash Bros?”, right?

MS: Absolutely not! I’m always thinking that doing Smash Bros. again will be impossible. Impossible, impossible…is what I always think, but I ended up making it again (laughs). But once I decide to do it, I’m very fast about creating moves and such. For example Greninja, even before his name was decided I received several illustrations. I took them home in the evening and around midnight I had already done all his actions, normal moves, special moves and pose-pictures and sent them around asking “What do you think?”.

ND: That’s incredible speed! By the way, when deciding on which characters to use, are you looking into unreleased new games?

MS: At the very beginning I did that. This time our project-proposal is dated May 2012, at that time all characters were decided already. Then as production moves on we will say “We won’t put that character in” and cut out low-priority-characters.

Assuming he made concepts for move-sets for every Smash 4 newcomer planned, if he made an entire concept for the Chorus Kids during the Smash 4 project proposal, then I think it is EXTREMELY likely that the Chorus Kids concept will be revisited to be implement for Smash Switch (Basing this on the Gematsu leak being true). There was an opportunity to change the choice to Karate Joe or Rhythm Girl base game and DLC back in Smash 4, but he chose not to. I speculate that Sakurai will stay firm on his choice on Chorus Kids back in Smash 4 and try hard to implement them in this game. It only makes me extremely certain that Chorus Kids are in this Smash. How do you feel about this theory?

Mewtader

Smash Cadet
Either the ninjas threatened him or someone in the know chewed him out for saying anything at all. Saying outright that a bunch of YouTubers know now the roster of Nintendo's most hotly anticipated game of 2018 is probably not the best idea.
True but man DO I love where this is going.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I've talked to Alax numerous times on his Patreon Discord for nearly a year now (he even made me a mod on his Twitch if that means anything), and I trust him. The dude likes to keep it real, and he really cares about his fans, the dude is a sweetheart, and I don't see any reason as to why he would lie about this, especially to his fans.

He hasn't said anything regarding his information on Discord in case anyone asks.
After all the likes I got I just want to put an asterisk here. Take this all with a grain of salt; don't trust my personal thoughts and his words so easily. This could very well be some elaborate bait, and I don't want you guys to get heartbroken if it is.

He is still a nice guy, but I do think it's very possible he's making **** up to stir the pot a little.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Topic: I would like to note something very interesting. I re-read an article surrounding on Sakurai had making an entire moveset for Greninja in one night when the Pokemon Company sent him some Pokemon to look at based on here:

https://mynintendonews.com/2014/12/...he-inclusion-of-greninja-in-super-smash-bros/

ND: When not you are not developing and there is a new title or character released, you are not thinking about “How about that one in the next Smash Bros?”, right?

MS: Absolutely not! I’m always thinking that doing Smash Bros. again will be impossible. Impossible, impossible…is what I always think, but I ended up making it again (laughs). But once I decide to do it, I’m very fast about creating moves and such. For example Greninja, even before his name was decided I received several illustrations. I took them home in the evening and around midnight I had already done all his actions, normal moves, special moves and pose-pictures and sent them around asking “What do you think?”.

ND: That’s incredible speed! By the way, when deciding on which characters to use, are you looking into unreleased new games?

MS: At the very beginning I did that. This time our project-proposal is dated May 2012, at that time all characters were decided already. Then as production moves on we will say “We won’t put that character in” and cut out low-priority-characters.

Assuming he made concepts for move-sets for every Smash 4 newcomer planned, if he made an entire concept for the Chorus Kids during the Smash 4 project proposal, then I think it is EXTREMELY likely that the Chorus Kids concept will be revisited to be implement for Smash Switch (Basing this on the Gematsu leak being true). There was an opportunity to change the choice to Karate Joe or Rhythm Girl base game and DLC back in Smash 4, but he chose not to. I speculate that Sakurai will stay firm on his choice on Chorus Kids back in Smash 4 and try hard to implement them in this game. It only makes me extremely certain that Chorus Kids are in this Smash. How do you feel about this theory?
Sakurai has a thing for going back to old ideas. And considering Rhythm Heaven MegaMix came out between the two Smash games, I've always felt as though the Chorus Kids were a safe pick this time around.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

Agree, except I can't be for certain that it's Chorus Kids and not another Rhythm Heaven rep, simply because I'm not familiar with the series. Overall though I think a character is likely.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
hey guys, I got some Smash 5 info early! Let me just say, it is insane info. You guys will know it for sure come E3, but it's hard to not just dump all of this info right now. I'll just give you a small taste - there are returning veterans. And stages.

There we go, it's that easy. Time to believe everyone else online who says anything similar.
It's not the same with some people. RelaxAlax has a reputation and I believe the guys here saying they know him enough to know he's loyal and honest with his fans.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

There's a good possibility that we'll see them, especially since we haven't gotten a Rhythm Heaven character yet.

However, keep in mind that characters who were previously planned in a Smash game aren't guaranteed to make it in the next entry. Dixie and Toon Zelda were considered in Brawl, but neither made it in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Y'all are sleeping on Tibby, the only existing Rhythm Heaven protagonist and came to existence in-between to Smash games ;)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I really like the hero vs. villians/rivals leak idea, despite it being unlikely. I don't know of this has been done before, but for fun I've listed all the potential villians from Smash Wii U + the leak.

Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Wario
King K. Rool
Ganondorf
Ridley
Medusa
Dark Pit
Kingdedede (I know that's debatable but I think they'd market him that way. More likely than Metaknight imo)
Wolf
Mimikyu
Mewtwo
Porky
Samurai Goroh

That's only 14... And while half of them would be added for this game, it still doesn't feel like enough to warrant the game's subtitle, which is why I find it unlikely. Cool idea though.
Needs more Meowth for the villain side.

Last edited:

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
Now that Alax is involved, I think that this idea of an incredibly hype-worthy roster is actually kind of believable. I've somewhat come round to the idea of the Ridley and Simon leaks now, as well. Personally it'd be nice to hear a vocal Kirby or XC2 fan say the roster is outstanding in the same way Alax has done, I'm desperately hoping Rex and Dee can make it in alongside all these supposedly incredible newcomers.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
What if with this Smash, after they release it, they confirm that there will be future new characters, but this time instead of being pay DLC, it would be free updates like in Kirby Star Allies?

Zippo

Smash Journeyman

Screncapped his tweet just in case something happened.

In hindsight, he probably shouldn't have said anything at all.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
What if with this Smash, after they release it, they confirm that there will be future new characters, but this time instead of being pay DLC, it would be free updates like in Kirby Star Allies?
I'm sure Smash Bros characters take a lot more time and resources than Star Allies characters.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
>What if Nintendo decide to give free fighters instead of milking that cow for free gold coins.

Yeah no. Not happening.

Zeox

Smash Champion

In hindsight, he shouldn't have said anything at all.
Nintendo is doing on purpose.
They send info to youtubers but force them to not say anything.
But they know the youtubers will not be able to shut up and will start to make small references and drop small info.
This will start to create more hype and expectation.
Nobody would miss Nintendo's E3 this year because all the rumors and hype.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Uh, the Alax leak said that he can confirm 5 newcomers in general, not 5 newcomers revealed at E3. This doesn’t worry anyone else?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Uh, the Alax leak said that he can confirm 5 newcomers in general, not 5 newcomers revealed at E3. This doesn’t worry anyone else?
No because there no full roster leak ever.
Beside Brawl that everyone dissmissed as fake because of
>R.O.B
>Toon Link

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
There was a problem fetching the tweet

RelaxAlax has apparently received info on who the new characters are as well. Looks like it's starting to go around to reputable sources. I can already guess other people who probably know now as well.
This bodes well for Ridley and King K. Rool.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Not really. If he can confirm 5 newcomers, then that likely means he knows which ones will be promoted at E3. There's probably more that he doesn't know about that they're saving for later reveals closer to release.

Very unlikely we're only getting five newcomers and nothing else.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
So what even is the leak? From what I’ve heard, Nintendo sent a bunch of YouTubers highly classified information. Why? And why is only Alax dropping breadcrumbs. Why are we believing this besides “uhhh Alax seems like a nice guy”?

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I want E3 to come now. Not just because of how excited I am but because I am starting to get a little worried with all these leaks that something big will become real and E3 will just be ruined.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So what even is the leak? From what I’ve heard, Nintendo sent a bunch of YouTubers highly classified information. Why? And why is only Alax dropping breadcrumbs. Why are we believing this besides “uhhh Alax seems like a nice guy”?
How about reading less than five pages?
We don't know who dropped those news to them. Probably not Nintnedo.
They probably have an external source.

D

Deleted member

Nintendo is doing on purpose.
They send info to youtubers but force them to not say anything.
But they know the youtubers will not be able to shut up and will start to make small references and drop small info.
This will start to create more hype and expectation.
Nobody would miss Nintendo's E3 this year because all the rumors and hype.
That doesn't seem like a very Nintendo like thing to do.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Who are these 5 newcomers?

Still don't believe it honestly.
You really think he would say? Come on man.

I really hate when you guys keep looping on the same topics over and over and over and over again, starving for some kind of information or leaks, even fake leaks, just for entertainment sakes, then we get a few cool ones and some of you are like "meh, what are you doing believing this obviously fake crap, you guys are naive and desperate"

Really? I don't understand sometimes..

In hindsight, he probably shouldn't have said anything at all.
To be honest I've seen a few videos from NGamethecube and he never seemed too bright in my eyes, no offense.

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
On the subject of Smash Switch not having enough villains to pull off a heroes versus villains theme, note that if we get a story mode we could see a bunch of other villains present as bosses. Robotnik, Wily, any Zelda boss, Hades, Louie, etc. Heck, they could even convert some of the more feasible bosses into playable characters with a post-launch update or DLC. (I'd love it if, for example, we could fight Ghirahim as a boss in story mode and then play as him a few months later.)

Also, hi. I normally don't post on this site but the E3 hype sucked me back in.

Zeox

Smash Champion
That doesn't seem like a very Nintendo like thing to do.
this is the whole new evil nintendo overlord, from here to 10 years an army of robomarios will control our lifes.
But they will make new good games, so I for one welcome our new overlords.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
In the event that veterans are getting an overhall, I think there's one guy who deserves it as much as Ganondorf
I used Smash 2's Wario art for a reason. He's easily the best incarnation of Wario I've seen in a Smash game. He's got the goofiness of Warioware Wario while still having plenty of references to Wario Land. Really, the only change I'd make to him is adding the motocycle (possibly keeping it as the side-special while making his shoulder bash the neutral special?).

D

Deleted member

Eh, I'm gonna play the wait and see approach with all these rumors. 90% of the time these things are just vague teases from people claiming to know something for some reason or another.

It's a week and a half 'till E3. Everyone and their brother is gonna say they know stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom