• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Can ya'll not just have fun with something different for once? You only have to wait a year for a normal Pokemon experience on the Switch anyways.
I'm totally down for this game. It looks a lot nicer than what I was expecting. I just wish it weren't Kanto personally, ha ha.

Oh well, at least this means I get HD Rapidash and Ninetails, which is plenty enough reason to buy. :038:

I'm curious by their wording, though...like, is it a core game? Or is it in that weird limbo the Colosseum games exist in where they play like the core games, but technically aren't?

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Can ya'll not just have fun with something different for once? You only have to wait a year for a normal Pokemon experience on the Switch anyways.
My dislike for Let's Go has nothing to do with it being different. I encourage difference. Going back to Gen 1 is not breaking new ground. Forcing me to use Go features in a "mainline game" just feels bad as a long time Pokemon fan. Gen 7 was different and I loved it.

I'm sure the game will be fine but a sequel to XD would have made me ecstatic, this just makes me disappointed. It feels like some side thing they didn't really care about compared to what I was expecting, which very well may be my nostalgia goggles, I'm not gonna deny that.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
>Having fun with other game than Smash the year a Smash game is out

Y'all plebians.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Okay, we need a third version of Pokemon Let's Go.

Let's Go Meowth!

Meowth! That's right!

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So we’re getting Generation 8 next year.

THANK GOD!!!

I was worried the Let’s go games were all that they had planned. But it turns out they were only meant to cater to the casual audience.

Gen 8 grass starter for DLC in 2019.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
I'm totally down. Co op is something I really hoped for, and while it seems simple, it's still a pretty cool thing. I haven't been this excited for a Pokemon game since X and Y.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Serebii's not saying that you can't take your Pokemon from the other games and use them in this one.
Eurogamer is saying it's not a core RPG (it is an RPG) but it's not core.
The leaker called everything on 4chan.

I don't know what else to tell you.

The core RPG is coming in 2019.

If you don't believe me, I have nothing else to say, that's all I got.

Go research it yourself.

Check out Eurogamers twitter, and ruffled rowlet's youtube channel.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
An "even number" means something different than just a number divided by 2.
Last I've checked, a number has to be divisible by 2 if it's to be called an even number. 25 is NOT an even number, but it is a composite number.

So far, the roster total for each Smash Bros. title, ends with a composite number value.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Oh, yay, now a bunch of people are going to put Eevee on their Smash roster predictions even though this game probably wasn't even in development when Smash 5's roster was finalized.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
What "Let's go Pikachu/Evee" means to Smash speculation? From what I remember there was at least one leak that mixed this title with Smash newcomers.

It's Crash/Spyro/C.Toad one?
Simon Belmont?
P?

There was a connection, right?

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I've noticed that every Smash game has "even" rosters. 12 for the first one, 25 (not including Shiek) in Melee, 36 (when excluding transformations and including the Random icon) for Brawl and 50 base (includes Miis as one and the Random icon) for Sm4sh
Might as well keep it going (plus, 20 year celebration)

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
I guess there's not going to be any surprise gen 8 pokemon on the bright side, so all previously announced pokemon are on the same playing field. However, while I don't think Eevee is a likely newcomer, Eevee had appeal before the Lets Go games, and it's possible the Lets Go Games shared a similar development cycle to smash switch anyway. I still don't think we're getting eevee though due to how recent this announcement is and how little exposure eevee has had over this game's development cycle, although I'm willing to bet we see Eevee in more "leaks" in the future despite this (what my original statement intended to convey, not that Eevee was a much more likely pick).

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I still consider transformation separate characters so it's still 39 characters IMO. It's just mere coincidence. Also consider that there were 3 last minute clones in 4 for ther base game, so it would have been 47 character slots there.

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Now that's not true.
It's subjective. I wish it was't. I ******* love Pokemon since I can think, but this is the first time I've seen a new game and felt nothing but apathy.
Go's simplified capture mechanic should've stayed in Go. I have no interest in visiting Kanto again, specially since what we've seen doesn't look much different.
And only the first 151 Pokemon? No thanks.
Edit: It got worse, I had a silver of hope left they would be optional or something.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
There's a bit of back and fourth information.

But from what I can tell the core RPG was announced to calm the concerns of no actual core rpg.

It's not being described as a core rpg any where (yet) but the 2019 game is.

Also the leak that leaked said only the first 151.
Leak was 100% correct with everything else.
I doubt a core game would only have 151.
They didn't show a battle system either.

Okay they did show the battle system, appears only gen 1 moves? idk.
They call it a Core RPG, just one for 'everyone':

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I guess there's not going to be any surprise gen 8 pokemon on the bright side, so all previously announced pokemon are on the same playing field. However, while I don't think Eevee is a likely newcomer, Eevee had appeal before the Lets Go games, and it's possible the Lets Go Games shared a similar development cycle to smash switch anyway.pick).
This is the same crap I hear time and time again when people act like Marx is in the realm of possibility.

There was no reason to add Eevee before now. Yes, it's always been popular, but if it wasn't already Smash-worthy, they're not going to just suddenly decide it is now without basing it's selection entire on this new game (which is too new).

I know you said yourself that you don't think Eevee is likely, but there's not even a remote possibility of it happening. 0% chance.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
What "Let's go Pikachu/Evee" means to Smash speculation? From what I remember there was at least one leak that mixed this title with Smash newcomers.

It's Crash/Spyro/C.Toad one?
Simon Belmont?
P?

There was a connection, right?
Yes. There a connection. That connection being Emily Roger who implied that those game will be announced end of may. Which did happens and that Nintendo would use Pokemon Go features in it.

Emily Roger who talked about barely/no cuts and that smash switch being the Ultimate Smash Bros Roster and fan will love it.

But once again credit where it's due, it was a 4chan leaks first.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Yikes... Well over 100 people in this thread combining users and guests... I fear literal Crashboards for this place when E3 Drops.

Anyways, RE: Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, didn't expect a reveal that soon. Looks like it'd be an entertaining re-imagination of the Kanto games, and most likely going to appeal to new Pokémon fans who started from Pokémon Go. Personally, it might be a fun little diversion until the proper Pokémon experience, so I might try it out eventually. Maybe before the year ends (and when I go back to Ultra Moon), I might consider getting the Let's Go Eevee version myself.

But this is a Smash Bros speculation thread. Either way, the sooner the Smash Bros news happens, the better. I'm pretty sure quite a lot of us are slowly going insane from this news drought. At the very least, I hope we don't see another Smash Bros news drought for a long time post E3.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
They call it a Core RPG, just one for 'everyone':

So it's not a core rpg? or is it?

One for "everyone" ...

that tweet looks like ones for competitive... so the actual games... and the lets go ones are "casual" meaning... not core...?

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Looks like Let's Go did de-confirm an existing leak. Remember the 4chan leaker who got the lucky May 7th guess for the Nintendo online announcement? That was the Crash/Spyro/Captain Toad leak. That's busted now: The leak stated the 2018 Pokemon game had a "realistic tone" and was more like a watered down pokken. The Lazzyman leak is dead in the water.
For reference: The 4chan link: https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/414524048
Lazzyman: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/189706-nintendo-switch/76571076

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean, it's a remake of Yellow, which is a core game, so at least in my eyes I'm gonna treat this as a core game unless Game Freak themselves say otherwise (Serebii's wording seems to imply that it's a core game as well).

Also, I got to agree with Gameboi834 Gameboi834 with this one, Pokemon isn't a hard series. It's kind of like the Kirby of RPGs; simple, easy fun is it's primary goal. And Pokemon, like Kirby, does that very well. Believe me, I'm one of those guys that would love a hard mode in these games, but that's not the kind of gameplay GF's going for and that's okay. It's a "you either like it or you don't" situation, in my opinion.

Besides, if hard Pokemon is what I want, there's always Persona. :p

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
What challenge? All you have to do is level up your starter and use their STAB move and you win. Pokemon was never a challenging game.
The idea that Pokemon never being a super challenging game doesn't justify the idea of stripping all challenge from the game completely.

In previous games, you still had to worry about things like typing differences and level differences. You probably aren't going to be getting through the entire Elite Four with your starter and STAB alone, unless you spend a whole ton of time grinding and buying tons of potions and the like. At least, in the earlier generations.

This new change quite literally just gives you a free extra move every single turn. Like, I'm not sure how you can look at a 2v1 battle and think it isn't an extreme decrease in difficulty.

Last edited:

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Saw the trailer, heard the details, could not be less excited.

Oh well, I got Smash, Mega Man 11, Kingdom Hearts, and (probably) Star Fox Grand Prix this year, among the known stuff. That's a 11/10 E3 for me.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
It's subjective. I wish it was't. I ******* love Pokemon since I can think, but this is the first time I've seen a new game and felt nothing but apathy.
Go's simplified capture mechanic should've stayed in Go. I have no interest in visiting Kanto again, specially since what we've seen doesn't look much different.
And only the first 151 Pokemon? No thanks.
Edit: It got worse, I had a silver of hope left they would be optional or something.
There you go, it's not a core rpg...

Edit...

The Pokemon CEO announced this game will feature one completely new pokemon.

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I'm curious by their wording, though...like, is it a core game? Or is it in that weird limbo the Colosseum games exist in where they play like the core games, but technically aren't?
Nope. The core games are coming 2019.
Let's Go is like "my first Pokémon game", way more casual geared (apparently it doesn't even have wild Pokémon battles according to Serebii), it's made to be a more simple experience

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Saw the trailer, heard the details, could not be less excited.

Oh well, I got Smash, Mega Man 11, Kingdom Hearts, and (probably) Star Fox Grand Prix for me. That's a 11/10 E3 for me.
I kinda wished they showed more for the upcoming game in 2019.

But it’s possible that they will showcase that game along with the other 2019 games that they are planning to show sometime after E3.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
The idea that Pokemon never being a super challenging game doesn't justify the idea of stripping all challenge from the game completely.

In previous games, you still had to worry about things like typing differences and level differences. You probably aren't going to be getting through the entire Elite Four with your starter and STAB alone, unless you spend a whole ton of time grinding and buying tons of potions and the like. At least, in the earlier generations.

This new change quite literally just gives you a free extra move every single turn. Like, I'm not sure how you can look at a 2v1 battle and think it isn't an extreme decrease in difficulty.
Are you sure the opponent’s stats won’t scale to compensate? I mean, a lot of typical RPG’s have a party of 4 or so characters out at once, and the opponents are strong enough for it to be a fair difficulty. (Please correct me if they said that the opponents won’t scale.)

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Unknown Let's Go Pokemon for Smash.

There's no battling against wild pokemon.

Basically how do you train them?

same as Pokemon Go?

Catch a bunch and consume them?

These games are basically Pokemon Go for lazy people.

Just trying to cash in/ revive Pokemon Go hype.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
I mean, it's a remake of Yellow, which is a core game, so at least in my eyes I'm gonna treat this as a core game unless Game Freak themselves say otherwise (Serebii's wording seems to imply that it's a core game as well).

Also, I got to agree with Gameboi834 Gameboi834 with this one, Pokemon isn't a hard series. It's kind of like the Kirby of RPGs; simple, easy fun is it's primary goal. And Pokemon, like Kirby, does that very well. Believe me, I'm one of those guys that would love a hard mode in these games, but that's not the kind of gameplay GF's going for and that's okay. It's a "you either like it or you don't" situation, in my opinion.

Besides, if hard Pokemon is what I want, there's always Persona. :p
I agree. A hard mode would be great, but unless they make structural changes (as in grinding for hours isn't auto win anymore), I don't think it would matter. Making AI better would be cool, maybe limiting things like TM's and trading could work.

But yeah, Pokemon has never been hard, and most difficulty has to be self imposed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom