• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Isn't a new Eevelution more likely? iirc they always appear in even numbered gens.
Anyway this gives me a tiny bit of hope, at least.
Eevee has cool evolutions in the 151 everyone already likes.

Pikachu has Raichu....and not even the cool surfs on his tail version.

I'd wager for a new Pikachu evolution.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Are you sure the opponent’s stats won’t scale to compensate? I mean, a lot of typical RPG’s have a party of 4 or so characters out at once, and the opponents are strong enough for it to be a fair difficulty. (Please correct me if they said that the opponents won’t scale.)
Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 9.26.29 PM.png

Considering the two Pokemon used in the fight are Level 18, whereas the Venonat is Level 9, it doesn't look like its scaling.

Also, here's another fun fact:
Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 9.27.52 PM.png

That exact trainer had a team of four Level 10 Pokemon in Fire Red and Leaf Green...

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 9.28.43 PM.png

and two Level 14 in Pokemon in Red and Blue. If you look back to the first image, said trainer only has a single Level 9 Pokemon.

So, even WITHOUT the 2v1 mechanic, it is STILL easier than past games. Granted, he's a Bug Catcher, so he'd be a pushover in all of them, but this probably means that every trainer will face a decrease in difficulty, even ignoring the 2v1 mechanic, just like how trainers did in FR/LG, HG/SS, and OR/AS.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
The problem people are having with Pokemon is that it is already a simple experience. It's the casual rpg of rpgs, it didn't need to be watered down. I'm always dissapointed that Gamefreak adds in a sliver of innovative content with each gen only to scrap it for the next game, making Pokemon as a whole a flat experience as the series doesn't do the best job of building upon itself.

Are you sure the opponent’s stats won’t scale to compensate? I mean, a lot of typical RPG’s have a party of 4 or so characters out at once, and the opponents are strong enough for it to be a fair difficulty. (Please correct me if they said that the opponents won’t scale.)
Those games are built around party systems and having multiple characters around at once, Pokemon is primarily a 1v1 experience. It seems to be pretty much just doubling your power.

D

Deleted member

Apparently there isn't going to be any online in it, which is making people suuuuuuper salty.

I don't know why when the more traditional core games are next year, but eh, to each their own. I personally never touch Pokemon's online mechanics, so for me personally, I'm not too bummed. No wild battles isn't a big deal to me either, as Trainer battles are still fully intact and are the ones I always preferred anyway.

This will be a great game for kids and more casual gamers. For me, I'll just be picking it up as a fun appetizer while I wait for Pokemon 2019. :)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
That leak with Captain Toad, Spyro, and Crash? I hope that's real. I really want Captain Toad so bad.
Nope not that one

That one got deconfirmed by this Pokémon thing

Vergeben leak is

Simon Belmont, ice climbers, everybody from smash 4 comes back, and that the big E3 reveal for smash switch is Ridley is playable

And this person has ben correct before but also wrong

To bust that one it has to be a different big character reveal for smash

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Eevee has cool evolutions in the 151 everyone already likes.

Pikachu has Raichu....and not even the cool surfs on his tail version.

I'd wager for a new Pikachu evolution.
but pikachu in yellow can't evolve anyway, so I feel like they're gonna do the same here which would make the evolution ultimately pointless. For all we know it's a new legendary or something that'll tie into gen 8

And a new pikachu evo wouldn't work since they wouldn't be able to bring it over to the main games, making it pointless

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
View attachment 146157

Considering the two Pokemon used in the fight are Level 18, whereas the Venonat is Level 9, it doesn't look like its scaling.
Seems rather strange that Pikachu and Bulbasaur are both set to level 18, and yet Pikachu has more HP. Whenever Game Freak showed footage for their Pokemon titles, if the previous trailers mean anything, the Pokemon tend to have their HP IV set to 31.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I mean, from a business perspective, I appreciate what they're doing. Like, trying to bring in the PoGo players that aren't currently playing the mainline games and using this to ease them in.

I'm pretty sure it's not marketed towards me and other hardcore Pokemon fans.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I agree. A hard mode would be great, but unless they make structural changes (as in grinding for hours isn't auto win anymore), I don't think it would matter.
Perhaps they could have all Pokemon default to level 100, with the player owning an item that allows them to easily teach a Pokemon any level up moves they can learn, and requiring the use of items to evolve Pokemon that evolve by level up, so that battles are based on strategy rather than level. Edit: I don't think it's likely that they'd do that, but it would be an interesting challenge. But yeah, for now, people who want challenge are free to do self imposed challenges.

View attachment 146157

So, even WITHOUT the 2v1 mechanic, it is STILL easier than past games. Granted, he's a Bug Catcher, so he'd be a pushover in all of them, but this probably means that every trainer will face a decrease in difficulty, even ignoring the 2v1 mechanic, just like how trainers did in FR/LG, HG/SS, and OR/AS.
To be fair, we can't see the stats of the Venonat as level =/= stats; for all we know, they might be twice that of what a Venonat would normally have at Level 9. Of course, this is going to be a really easy fight anyway since the player Pokemon are far beyond their opponent's level, and I agree that this game most likely will be on the easier side anyway, but yeah.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
"Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee look awful and boring!!!"

Look at this gif and say that to my goddamn face.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Honestly? Yeah.

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Does anyone know of any other leaks besides the Lazzyman/4chan leaks that claimed Crash/Spyro/Captain Toad would be in smash 5 that also claimed wrong information on the new pokemon game?

Another important footnote nobody mentioned: Pokemon Quest is coming out tonight on switch for those interested.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I think, regardless, we can all agree it's going to be either Gorochu or an Eeveelution.
For some reason when I hear 'Gorochu' my mind thinks of either Goro Akechi who's been turned into a Pikachu, or a four-armed Pikachu like MK's Goro. Either image would be hilarious.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Seems rather strange that Pikachu and Bulbasaur are both set to level 18, and yet Pikachu has more HP. Whenever Game Freak showed footage for their Pokemon titles, if the previous trailers mean anything, the Pokemon tend to have their HP IV set to 31.
Wouldn't surprise me if the Pikachu / Eevee starter Pokemon were a bit buffed up compared to their normal counterparts. After all, these games are based off of Pokemon Yellow, where both of them were starters.

I wonder if Gen 8 will be out early enough to get a bit of DLC action.

Im not sure it's going to go long enough, and gen 8 may wind up not being in smash until smash AFTER smash switch.

Let's Go, on the other hand, i dont really care too much about haha.
:061:

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
"The new pokemon is going to to be a new Pikachu form."

"The new pokemon is going to be a new Eevee form."

No. With the big emphasis this game is putting on co-op play they're finally going to introduce Pokemon fusions. The new Pokemon is going to be a Pikachu/Eevee fusion and you need to get together with a friend with the other version of the game to make it happen. We are going all in on using Digimon ideas Mega evolutions was just the beginning.

(I'm joking but I would seriously like this)

Pakky

Smash Hero
It's subjective. I wish it was't. I ******* love Pokemon since I can think, but this is the first time I've seen a new game and felt nothing but apathy.
Go's simplified capture mechanic should've stayed in Go. I have no interest in visiting Kanto again, specially since what we've seen doesn't look much different.
And only the first 151 Pokemon? No thanks.
Edit: It got worse, I had a silver of hope left they would be optional or something.
Now that's objectively bad. Not gonna sugar coat it.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Also, the thing with marketing this to be more casual is that Pokemon was always casual. I doubt making it like PoGO will draw in PoGO players, they play PoGO because it is free and on their phones. If this gets negative reactions, then it might push away more people than draw them in. Nah who am I kidding, it's HD Pokemon, people are gonna buy it.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
"The new pokemon is going to to be a new Pikachu form."

"The new pokemon is going to be a new Eevee form."

No. With the big emphasis this game is putting on co-op play they're finally going to introduce Pokemon fusions. The new Pokemon is going to be a Pikachu/Eevee fusion and you need to get together with a friend with the other version of the game to make it happen. We are going all in on using Digimon ideas Mega evolutions was just the beginning.

(I'm joking but I would seriously like this)

Finally, this can be canon.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Does anyone know of any other leaks besides the Lazzyman/4chan leaks that claimed Crash/Spyro/Captain Toad would be in smash 5 that also claimed wrong information on the new pokemon game?

Another important footnote nobody mentioned: Pokemon Quest is coming out tonight on switch for those interested.
Pokemon Quest is actually out on Switch right now, I just started downloading it.

Last edited:

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
Honestly as much as I LOVE Pokémon as a series.....yeah this reveal felt very meh to me. And now with people confirming no normal wild battles or anything makes me really wonder how the pacing of the game will go. Not at all thrilled but I’m sure I’ll get one of the two when it releases. Also I’d love for them to atleast finally give us Gorochu

D

Deleted member

Could you give a source for that? Sorry I just want to make sure thats the truth.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Kind of a bummer, but not that bad when one considers the ones next year will for sure have it.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
By the way,I know we're all starved for news, but should we really even be posting about Pokémon here if it's not Smash 5 speculation?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I don't get the complaints of Kanto being remade again. FireRed/LeafGreen came out almost 14 years ago. It's been long enough to justify another remake for a younger generation.

Personally, I think the game looks ok. Its not the "blow your socks off" game everyone was expecting for Pokemon on the Switch, but it still looks ok. The only thing that has me concerned is every wild battle being luck based, that could get annoying for rare Pokemon or Pokemon with already high catch rates.

I don't know if Lets Go really ups Eevee's chances at DLC at all, especially since its technically Gen 7 and not Gen 8 like a lot of people were assuming. Plus, its in that weird pseudo-spinoff game space like Colosseum and XD, where the mechanics are kinda like the mainline games but at the same time not really. I think the safer bet is a Gen 8 'mon when that game comes out next year.

Also, getting rid of Leaf is sacrilege.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
By the way,I know we're all starved for news, but should we really even be posting about Pokémon here if it's not Smash 5 speculation?
who really cares at this point, when it comes to smash we've talked, multiple times I might add, about pretty much every topic we can.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Nothing about Let's Go looks fun, though.

Now all I need is the Crash and Spyro leak to be real to lock my Switch up and go on a spiritual retreat.
Damn, that’s crazy b. You just gonna have to start packing now because my son Crash definitely needs to be in this game :p

But seriously, you that against Crash?? Why

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Im torn regarding the lets go games... for starters, i like that eevee is being used as counterweight to pikachu, and im looking forward to new ways to interact to pokemon besides the battle system (although the last thing i want is teh battle system to get simplified, or screwed, but since this is not a core pokemon game shouldnt be a problem)

I like a lot the idea of enriching pokemon go (since pokemon go is a nice experiment, but isnt a game) and i understand that since is a new experience, there is a good chance that not every pokemon is there.

but why? WHY THE FRIGGIN 151??? i wouldnt mind if is only kanto. but could at least they could implemented the friggin baby pokemon into the respective friggin lines. and stop making clefairy, snorlax, chansey, electabuzz or pikachu a basic pokemon. and i dont think that they would alienated the fanbase by implementing stuff like magnezone, rhyperior, or the other eeveelutions... specially in a game around frigghin EEVEE!!!
Gosh... i hate pandering to genwunners... and this is coming from someone that actually played pokemon blue on a friggin gameboy with friggin link cables as a kid.

Still.. if they want to really make it pokemon go, the ACTUAL video game, I expect they will at least try to catch up with pokemon go gens. a "jhotho dlc or a hoenn dlc" wouldnt be bad...

oh, and smash stuff... yeah... definetly we arent getting a gen VIII pokemon for base roster.

D

Deleted member

"Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee look awful and boring!!!"

Look at this gif and say that to my goddamn face.
Honestly, this is probably what sold me on the game.

Cute things are my weakness. It's why I love franchises like Kirby, Pokemon and MLP; cute is an easy way to sell me something, lol.

Pakky

Smash Hero
So I wonder if there will actually be more than 6 pokemon this time around?

I know "no cuts" were hinted at by Rogers but hmmm, things just seem to be moving along.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
So I wonder if there will actually be more than 6 pokemon this time around?

I know "no cuts" were hinted at by Rogers but hmmm, things just seem to be moving along.
I really can't see any of our current pokemon getting cut tbh. Either we get a 7th or we just keep the ones we have with no newcomer

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom