• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Guys, if we're talking Breath of the Wild representation we forget a very important player: Kilton the Monster Merchant.

Not only does his monster affinity lend itself well for a scavenger hunt playstyle, where he must collect various monster intestines in order to create elixrs, he could also summon minions this way and smash them around with the Spring-Loaded Hammer.

MrNantendo

Smash Cadet
Honestly any video with him giving the rating is a lost cause, I've found. The Celica video was a pretty good example. Like, she's far from a shoo in, and I say that as one of her biggest advocates, but the arguments against her were laughably bad. It used Pichu's cut status in Brawl as "proof" that a self-damage-in-exchange-for-high-power gimmick wouldn't work, despite the slew of other reasons Pichu may have been cut, for one. And then the video was really disingenuous by implying her best shot would be as a Marth clone because of Warriors, ignoring the reasons they made her a clone there in the first place (last minute addition, each character locked to one weapon, and they felt having her use a tome would've gone against her character since she spellslings without one...none of these are limitations that Smash would have). Didn't help that the video used Warriors footage exclusively and the description was just "Female Mage Marth."

Yeah, Nantenjex has a lot of issues with his arguments. :p
I'm more than willing to clarify my argument if that's all it takes. I try and make my arguments and score as clear and bias-free as possible, even if it is still my opinion, and while I do sometimes miss some points I think that all the points I say are valid.

With Celica, for example, I didn't use Pichu's cut status in Brawl as proof in the way you claim i did. I pointed out that the mechanic of a character hurting themselves was cut in Brawl, and unlike other cut characters like Young Link, who saw Toon Link essentially replace him, Pichu and his mechanics didn't get that. They weren't implemented into a newcomer and so its likely that Sakurai moved away from the idea. It's not proof of course, and there is nothing to stop him bringing it back, just like there is nothing to stop him bringing back transforming characters.

As well for your claims on Warriors the devs have never commented why Celica plays like Marth however they did say that she wasn't a last minute edition and had apparently planned her before they even knew about Echoes. Whether this is PR talk or not I can't say but it is the only bit about her that we have to go on. She plays like Marth because that is how she was designed originally. in Gaiden Alm is basically Marth and Celica is Marth but with magic. Then in Echoes they made Alm more Chrom like and kept Celica as the finnesse swordfighter with magic powers. That is what she would be if she got into Smash, and she wouldn't necessarily be a full on clone like Lucina but she would likely be a semi-cloned based on Marth and we already have one of them, maybe two if they work Lucina. Warriors footage is because it is her only HD appearance and the description was just a joke to the fact that some people say ever Fire Emblem character is Marth.

While I'm here I may as well address Pauline. She's popular sure but so was Rosalina in Galaxy and yet there was no sign of her at all in Brawl. You could argue that is because she was new and Pauline has been around for ages so it's different yet, there has never been any sign or reason to add her into Smash until Odyssey pushed her back into the spotlight. But this was after Smash's plan was decided and even if Sakurai knew about Pauline in Odyssey during Smash's development she is a secondary character in odyssey. It's not like Rosalina who assists Mario, a key part of the story, and owns the observatory that is the hub. Pauline is a key character in one world in Odyssey who also happens to sing two songs and that is all. There is no way she would be picked over other DK and Mario characters at this time, and she doesn't really bring anything unique to Smash. People argue a singing/rhythm moveset but other characters like Chorus Kids and Barbara the Bat could do that and they are main characters in their series (arguably for the first one.

Anyway i'm always up to defend my views so let me know if you have any questions on any of the videos.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Whats the consensus on chibi robo at this point? I will be legitimately surprised if he doesnt make it this time around. Anyone else agree?

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Whats the consensus on chibi robo at this point? I will be legitimately surprised if he doesnt make it this time around. Anyone else agree?
Honestly? I don't expect him in the slightest, and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make it.
Gerudo Link is the prettiest thing ever, 10/10 would main
This man's got his priorities straightened out, alright folks?

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
He's got timing on his side and the moveset potential is there, his main issue is that the franchise has effectively been pronounced dead so who knows if Sakurai is willing to include him in spite of that.

Though including him in smash could be a solid way to try and keep the franchise alive and make people aware of it, but who knows if they'd do that.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
As the others said, he doesn’t seem likely as his series appears to be legitimately dead (IIRC, they said that Zip Lash was Chibi’s last chance, and we all know how that game went.) I definitely would like to see him in Smash, but, if he isn’t, it’s no big loss to me as he’s in SSF2 and I already main him there.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
I guess it more so comes from the feeling of nintendo not having many active franchises that aren't already showing up in smash. Sure its fun trying to figure out what new side characters might be added from existing franchises, or even what third parties might make it, but what about first party characters? Out of all the franchises not already here, I feel like chibi and rhythm heaven have the best shots.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I guess it more so comes from the feeling of nintendo not having many active franchises that aren't already showing up in smash. Sure its fun trying to figure out what new side characters might be added from existing franchises, or even what third parties might make it, but what about first party characters? Out of all the franchises not already here, I feel like chibi and rhythm heaven have the best shots.
I think Chibi could be pretty likely. Easy moveset potential and the franchise has been around for a while. His franchise might be dead, but Nintendo acknowledged him in that strange flaming thing this past January. Until we receive context on that image, I think his chance for Smash still exists.

EDIT: I think he'd almost definitely be a secret unlockable character, though. Revealing him early probably wouldn't generate a bunch of hype.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
The Wonderful 101 too, while the game may have flopped, Platinum is interested in porting it to the switch and continuing the franchise despite that. Plus Blossom City would make a dope stage and wonder red has hella moveset potential

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I can name a few other candidates, such as Golden Sun, The Wonderful 101, Advance Wars, etc. though ultimately I'm not interested in them.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I think Chibi could be pretty likely. Easy moveset potential and the franchise has been around for a while. His franchise might be dead, but Nintendo acknowledged him in that strange flaming thing this past January. Until we receive context on that image, I think his chance for Smash still exists.

EDIT: I think he'd almost definitely be a secret unlockable character, though. Revealing him early probably wouldn't generate a bunch of hype.
I don't know if the NOA Social Media department really decides how Nintendo as a whole feels about Chibi. Trust me I love the guy, but people blow that post way out of proportion. Besides the fact it was pretty much just a tease for Dark Souls anyway.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I can name a few other candidates, such as Golden Sun, The Wonderful 101, Advance Wars, etc. though ultimately I'm not interested in them.
Golden Sun's last game was in 2010 and Advance Wars was in 2008, their best shot was probably smash 4. Unless they get another game it's not looking good for them as great of characters as they would be

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Chibi's up there on my most wanted, but I'd put him in the semi likely. He had an amiibo and had a game of note during the roster selection period, even though it didn't sell well, I think it could be enough to just about get in.

It really is now or never for Chibi though and Smash could be the last possible saving roll he'll get.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I don't know if the NOA Social Media department really decides how Nintendo as a whole feels about Chibi. Trust me I love the guy, but people blow that post way out of proportion. Besides the fact it was pretty much just a tease for Dark Souls anyway.
I personally interpreted the image as them making fun of impatient fans effectively catching on fire from anticipation of a theoretical Direct, ahaha...

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
I would agree if it weren't for golden sun and advance wars being inactive for so long. Wonderful 101 has potential as well tho.

Chibi just has so many games. He's had a game on every nintendo console since gamecube iirc. Except for wii u, but a lot of franchises skipped that console.

As others have mentioned, the moveset potential is extremely easy to see, and would give off a really fun vibe. Using his various tools like the toothbrush, spoon, cup, blaster, copter, etc.

Feels like nintendo doesn't have a lot of franchises with as many games as chibi, that still aren't being repped in game.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I personally interpreted the image as them making fun of impatient fans effectively catching on fire from anticipation of a theoretical Direct, ahaha...

Just compare his pose to that. Plus the sun/fire motif. It was also months before Smash was announced and I'd doubt they'd give a tease that big :/

Chibi just has so many games. He's had a game on every nintendo console since gamecube iirc. Except for wii u, but a lot of franchises skipped that console.
He didn't really have a game on the Wii either (he had a Wii control game or whatever they were called of the original game cube game, but it was also only a Japanese release).

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

Just compare his pose to that. Plus the sun/fire motif. It was also months before Smash was announced and I'd doubt they'd give a tease that big :/
That's a comparison that I hadn't seen before. It does make sense. Seems pretty random to tease Dark Souls with Chibi Robo, but I can see why one would get that impression. Chibi has been in my top 5 most wanted since Brawl, so I'm not writing off that image or Chibi's chances in general because of that though.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255

He didn't really have a game on the Wii either (he had a Wii control game or whatever they were called of the original game cube game, but it was also only a Japanese release).
He had the wii re-release of his original game that added motion controls etc. I'd say it counts as evidence that Nintendo saw the game and franchise worthy enough for a re-release, as opposed to just keeping the series dormant.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
That's a comparison that I hadn't seen before. It does make sense. Seems pretty random to tease Dark Souls with Chibi Robo, but I can see why one would get that impression. Chibi has been in my top 5 most wanted since Brawl, so I'm not writing off that image or Chibi's chances in general because of that though.
I'm glad you hadn't seen it, I was worried everyone had already and I was reposting old news lol. It would be honestly random for that Chibi pic to be related to Smash too, Nintendo has never given teases about Smash like that, they keep their surprises secret.

Chibi is in my top 10, and after playing Zip Lash finally I reallllly want to play as him (sorry I waited until I could get your game on sale at Toysrus for $8 Chibi :( I should've supported you when you needed me most).

I have a weird feeling that if that Simon rumor is true Chibis chances go down. I don't expect two whip based newcomers.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I'm glad you hadn't seen it, I was worried everyone had already and I was reposting old news lol. It would be honestly random for that Chibi pic to be related to Smash too, Nintendo has never given teases about Smash like that, they keep their surprises secret.

Chibi is in my top 10, and after playing Zip Lash finally I reallllly want to play as him (sorry I waited until I could get your game on sale at Toysrus for $8 Chibi :( I should've supported you when you needed me most).

I have a weird feeling that if that Simon rumor is true Chibis chances go down. I don't expect two whip based newcomers.
I don't really think Chibi would be too whip-based. His specials would all be Chibi tools and his normals would probs be standard punches and kicks. I could see the whip for up/side smash and a couple Aerials at most.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Well I mean, outside of ziplash, he doesn't really fight using his plug.

He has access to a blaster, copter, toothbrush, spoon, cup, squirter, vacuum, satellite, etc. He also has his plug, but in the mainline games he would only use it to recharge, or carry it on his head to run faster.

Ziplash definitely opens the door to whiplike combat tho, which can only be seen as a plus.

I spent my ballot vote on chibi guys, I really want this lmao.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I'd much rather have a stage of a domestic house with Chibi doing his thing in it over a playable character. Or an assist trophy, wasn't his role in his games to "assist" people? It would fit well. His franchise seemed to always be low B/C tier in terms of popularity and success, I don't see him getting another major role after Zip Lash.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
I'd much rather have a stage of a domestic house with Chibi doing his thing in it over a playable character. Or an assist trophy, wasn't his role in his games to "assist" people? It would fit well. His franchise seemed to always be low B/C tier in terms of popularity and success, I don't see him getting another major role after Zip Lash.
I feel if his series were to get an assists or stage hazards, it'd definitely be the various toys you meet. They all have their own stories, motivations, abilities, etc. Chibi assisted people in the same way that link did in majora's mask I'd say.

Chibi's popularity actually has a ton to do with bad marketing, awful exclusivity deals, and poor release windows. I have a feeling he'd be doing much better if he got his start around now when nintendo understands marketing.

That, and sticking with his mainline formula. His last few outings have been extremley experimental, and not really representative of his core. Anyone interested in learning about the character should search up his first two games.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of stages.... NINTENDO LAND STAGE!
Seriously, that would sound like an amazing idea. Switching from franchises sounds fun enough on it's own.
Like mud slides in the Mario event, the guards in the animal crossing one, etc.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Speaking of stages.... NINTENDO LAND STAGE!
Seriously, that would sound like an amazing idea. Switching from franchises sounds fun enough on it's own.
Like mud slides in the Mario event, the guards in the animal crossing one, etc.
Yoshi 2018 is going to be an interesting stage, flipping to the reverse perspective between battles.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Ah, I see where we differ on this one. I intepreted Sakurai's statements in his project plan to mean that he chose Rosalina specifically because he thought the puppet character idea could be applied with her when it wouldn't for anyone else. As far as I can tell, her recent appearances were not the primary reason she made it in according to what Sakurai has said.

If that's true, then it's best to compare the Champions only if their moveset would be interesting enough to catch Sakurai's eye.

We actually agree on this. If people were rooting for Impa based on a one-off appearance in OoT or SS alone, then she wouldn't be a good choice.

However, she appears in small roles frequently throughout the Zelda series since its inception. Any of her roles alone amount to nothing of particular note, but together they make up a legacy that most characters in Zelda don't have. That's the reason why she stands a chance - not because of any single appearance.

How? I'm not intending to sound sarcastic when I ask that. What moveset potential do they have that would attract Sakurai's attention like Rosalina did?

Mipha has a spear (which is interesting but not exclusive to her, especially when one considers that Impa uses a naginata in Hyrule Warriors) and a healing power that doesn't really make much sense to focus a character's moveset on in a fighting game.

Daruk has a club that's functionally similar to Ike's broadsword, and he's a heavyweight. Sounds basically like Dedede? I don't see what's interesting about that.

Revali is an archer and a bird, which is new...but also a quality shared by Decidueye, who ultimately makes more sense to include if we assume Sakurai found the idea interesting.

Urbosa uses a sword amd shield similarly to Link, but with lightning.

What on earth am I missing? You seem to think these characters have something which speaks to their uniqueness as a fighter in Smash, but I'm not sure what you're seeing.

Relevency is a necessary but not sufficient reason to include a character.

Yes, a character needs to be in the public's eye when they're chosen. We've been told as much. That said, no, that's enough for a character to make it in.

And if you fail to see that Impa has more in her resume than just Hyrule Warriors, then I don't know what to tell you. She's in TLoZ, Zelda 2, OoT, the Oracle games, SS, ALBW, and BotW, and is depicted in WW. She also was a central character in HW and has appeared in numerous spinoffs and noncanonical materials.

Point blank, more people know her.

BotW is about a year old at this point. Anyone who has a Switch already has BotW, and those people are already likely to buy Smash, given that Nintendo markets it well.

The point of promotion is to sell a product, but you're not going to attract new people to BotW by including a Champion in Smash.

You're more likely to get the attention of new customers by including a character they're already familiar with who they want to play as. Impa fits that criteria, and rhe Champions don't.

Yeah, you can point out the positives of any character. That doesnt mean that all the positives are equally valid reasons to include the each character. That's false equivalence.

This is an appeal to ignorance.

While it is true that we cannot definitively say what is or is not going to happen in the future, it it not true that we cannot discuss the probabilities of these events.

Yes, it is fallacious to state that the Champions cannot happen, because I can't prove that.

However, it is not fallacious to use evidence to try to determine which character is more likely to happen.

You're correct. At the time, we did not recognize evidence that a character could be included primarily for promotional purposes.

That said, there are notably few instances of this happening. In fact, no character has been on the project plan primarily for that reason - Roy happened as a last-minute clone, and Corrin was chosen during the DLC period.

I'm not trying to claim that it is impossible for a Champion to make it in, but I am trying to claim that there is not precedence leading me to expect it.

I personally would not, just as I do not consider Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Duck Hunt, or Corrin to have been easy to predict.

I have already explained that Impa is one of the few recognizable characters left for Nintendo to choose from and that Smash 4 had higher priority characters to include. That is why I expect Impa now when I did not in Smash 4.

Again, you're not considering that Impa had more prioritized characters competing with her in Smash 4 than are competing with her now.

I'm not even saying that she has an extremely good shot - all I'm saying is that, if there is a LoZ character, she will be it. Whether there will be or not is a separate matter entirely, and it depends on how many characters Sakurai ends up adding.

You are free to look at other choices. I'm not stopping you. But I can tell you from experience that expecting a character because they're an atypical choice isn't wise either.

That's fair if you're looking at it from that perspective, but it's not the same way I interpret the possibility of the Zelda newcomers.

Impa being in Hyrule Warriors is, as you mention, not enough on its own. But the fact that she appears in that game gives her the recent game release she needs to be considered as a candidate given that she also has a number of notable roles throughout the Zelda franchise.

Again, I apologize for being testy last night. (I was in need of food and was dealing with the grief of losing some family friends in a car accident. I was unreasonable harsh because of thay, and it wasn't fair to you.)

I do enjoy having this debate, and I hope there are no hard feelings between us.
Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

I don't think the Champions are a shoo-in, but I still firmly believe they have the best shot of being added out of every Zelda character. Although, maybe that's because I'm not putting much stock in Hyrule Warriors to begin with. Very rarely will a spin-off influence Sakurai to the point of adding a character on the roster. Aside from maybe a trophy or two, I think HW's influence will be basically nonexistent in Smash, meaning that young Impa will have to rely entirely on her appearances from OoT and SS. Not saying it's impossible, but she definitely had more reasons to be playable in the last Smash game. Just like how you believe the Champions mainly depend on relevancy, I believe Impa mainly depends on being a recurring character.

But I'll just leave it at that. I feel like we're gonna go full-circle if we continue. It was nice debating on the topic with you, and I hope we'll get our answers in three weeks (and I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I know that must be rough).

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

I don't think the Champions are a shoo-in, but I still firmly believe they have the best shot of being added out of every Zelda character. Although, maybe that's because I'm not putting much stock in Hyrule Warriors to begin with. Very rarely will a spin-off influence Sakurai to the point of adding a character on the roster. Aside from maybe a trophy or two, I think HW's influence will be basically nonexistent in Smash, meaning that young Impa will have to rely entirely on her appearances from OoT and SS. Not saying it's impossible, but she definitely had more reasons to be playable in the last Smash game. Just like how you believe the Champions mainly depend on relevancy, I believe Impa mainly depends on being a recurring character.

But I'll just leave it at that. I feel like we're gonna go full-circle if we continue. It was nice debating on the topic with you, and I hope we'll get our answers in three weeks (and I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I know that must be rough).
I'm honestly excited to read your Mipha post for Character of the Day (that was you who said you had one ready right?) I'm really interested in seeing more reasonings for specific champions but not many people see them as likely. I also think Mipha is the most likely but I don't really have a sound arguement prepared so I'm interested in reading yours.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

At the very least, I understand your perspective a lot better now. :)

(Thank you for the condolences. It hit my mom harder than me, and it took a lot out of me to keep her grounded.)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm honestly excited to read your Mipha post for Character of the Day (that was you who said you had one ready right?) I'm really interested in seeing more reasonings for specific champions but not many people see them as likely. I also think Mipha is the most likely but I don't really have a sound arguement prepared so I'm interested in reading yours.
My argument is still a work in progress, but Mipha is the last character I want that hasn't been rated yet, so I'm giving it my all. Might not be until next weekend before she's rated though. Unfortunately, Mipha doesn't have a strong support system in the RTC thread.

That being said, I can't complain too much. She was originally going to be rated Thursday, but now I might be lucky enough to get her on Saturday or Sunday.

At the very least, I understand your perspective a lot better now. :)

(Thank you for the condolences. It hit my mom harder than me, and it took a lot out of me to keep her grounded.)
Even if you don't agree, it's nice that you can see where I'm coming from. It's refreshing after the 2 years of "lol ridleys too big" during Smash 4.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Beedle, Tingle and Kilton would all be fun, zany representations of the Hylian citizens (whom are all very peculiar).

Last edited:

Minch

Smash Rookie
Well on the topic of Breath of the Wild... What stages/items/assist trophies would you like to see?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom