• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I’m in the boat that, frankly, thinks that characters aren’t the best way to represent a series.

Characters are the best way to represent characters.

It sounds weird, I know.

However, a character obviously by default represents the series they come from. We know this. Gameplay in Smash, however, and what that character does for the game is faaaaar more important to this Smasher and Nintendo gamer.

I’ve played plenty of Animal Crossing. PLENTY. More like an UNHEALTHY amount. There’s still furniture moving, public works, fishing, finding sketchy unidentifiable bones that the local business owner will take off your hands for no fee at all (Nook seems like a classy businessmen, but he gets that weird look in his eye when you walk around with some weird bones)!

Do I think that needs to be represented in a moveset? Not really. Isabelle plays the part of AT currently and she simply throws fruit. The possibility of throwing furniture out sounds like a violent version of what Isabelle does, with a mix of Dr. Wright. and his skyscrapers. Those can be represented just fine through AT and what not.

To be honest though, I really do think that this fan base has this..thing...where everything needs to be represented through a playable character. There are trophies, alternate colors, AT’s, items, stages...so many different ways that characters/series can be shown off in all their glory.

Obviously, there are characters who make more sense as a playable character. The thing is though, that as soon as it turns into, “They can represent so much in their moves” which isn’t the purpose of development time. The purpose of the development of the character is to make a working moveset that functions a certain way.

I think it’s a bit backwards, really. Sakurai doesn’t necessarily make the moveset with, “Oh! These features have to be used!”. It’s more of, “This character does this and uses these. How can I make it all fit together in the moveset?”

If it were only about representation, we’d have one mediocre roster i’ll tell you that much.

Btw, I would welcome Isabelle. But I highly doubt she’d just have **** crammed together to represent things. Isabelle will represent Isabelle, just like Villager represents Villagers in Animal Crossing.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I don't think that's necessarily true. While Smash has been going increasingly for archetype characters, there's still some characters that I'd soonest describe as a grab bag of individually interesting move ideas with no cohesive theme (gameplaywise. They all have an aesthetic theme based around the character, obviously). Pacman, Corrin, WFT, ect.. Like if you really want to stretch to fit everyone into an archetype you could call Pacman stage control or Corrin zoning ect. but they really aren't strongly centered around those things or anything really. That said, even if your character's moveset has no strong theme conceptually, you still need to put them together in a way that makes for a cohesive playstyle in practice.

I think for fans making movesets is way easier to come up with a moveset if you follow a basic theme, because then the ideas just kind of naturally flow as you think about what moves support that archetype or gimmick. They're also way easier to sell to other people. "Grab bag" characters take a lot of talent and probably a lot of playtesting to make work and tend to be "I didn't believe this would work at all until I played them" type of deals. Still, I think it's important to note that those kinds of characters do still have a place in Smash and aren't necessarily a case of weak design.
While I do understand what you're saying, I absolutely do consider those characters to have archetypes that were specifically tailored to their personalities.

As a Pac-Man main, I can tell you with certainty that he was designed to be a character that plays exactly like his games. It's not a stretch.

He uses the layout of the arena to manipulate his opponents while simultaneously staying as far away from them as possible. That's his gameplan in Smash, and it's also his gameplan in his arcade game. He uses the layout of the maze to manipulate the AI of the ghosts so he can stay safe while eating the pellets.

Even his fruit charge reflects this, as you have to have enough time to go for the charge to get any given fruit, which becomes harder the higher you charge. This is exactly like how you need to carefully plan your way into a situation where you can grab the fruit for extra points without dying in Pac-Man, which is also harder for higher leveled fruit.

A character can have a bunch of weird abilities thrown together, but that doesn't mean it's not all carefully crafted together around a certral idea by Sakurai. Like - take Game and Watch - all of his moves are references, but he represents the Game and Watch games perfectly by also being a character who has to play really, really well, or he loses. If you make a mistake in a Game and Watch game, you just lose. The same thing applies to Game and Watch in Smash, because he's a paper cannon.

Corrin is very, very clearly designed to be a spacer. Everything from his lance arms to his projectile and his pin. It's all about keeping opponents away so he doesn't die, because if the Lord dies in Fire Emblen, you're through.

I agree that the characters you mention aren't weakly designed, but I argue that that's because the core of their gameplay was still at the focus when Sakurai designed their movesets.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
See, I don't think that's an accurate reading of the character.

Tom Nook is a clever and shrewd businessman, yes, but he's never getting his hands dirty if he can manage otherwise.

He sees you looking all desolate in town and what does he do? He makes a calculated risk that becoming your renter will pay off for him a lot in the long run because you'll want to increase your house size.

Doesn't mean he's a bad guy, though, and I'd imagine he wants the best for you, both as a client and as someone he took under his wing.

He sees that he can make money with the situation, but he never actually does the hard stuff himself. He signs contracts, finalizes plans, and submits paperwork, but he prefers to be doing it all in his store if he can manage it.

And I think there's a reason for that. He's implied to be Timmy and Tommy's dad (same species, all have names that start with T, all work at the same place in some games, the kids seem to have inherited the family business while Tom branches out into house construction), and it seems he has a busy home life with them on his hands. He's trying to support them and teach them to be successful the the world, particularly the world of business.

Note that he has them doing a lot of the heavy lifting even in the first game. They're at the furniture place, while he's the one taking care of selling essentials like tools, stationary, and gardening supplies. He wants them to learn the hard parts of the job like moving stuff and convincing customers that they really do need a fourth bed. And he's gotten them trained well enough to place his trust in them to do what he needs them to.

That said, he's not evil. By no stretch of the imagination is he malicious. A little greedy? Yeah, probably, sure.

But he has a clear moral code that he abides by; he even actively displays displeasure with Redd because of his less-than-honest business practices, iirc. This isn't a man who values bells over people, and he intentionally cause another person harm, even if it would benefit him financially.
I understand that, but all I am saying here is that his fan-depiction makes him easier to see as a fighter. Sakurai would probably know a large number of Animal Crossing fans that depict the character as a greedy evil raccoon. If we get down to the very basics, greed is one of the seven deadly sins that almost every person in the world would have a moral grasp of. I think such fan-portrayal of Tom would really help him imagine Tom fighting than Isabelle. Look at a number of villains/characters in American media that have greed as a characteristic:

It would not be that farfetched for Sakurai to think of Tom as a greedy fighter first than to think of his actual characterization and find that a fun idea.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Am I the only one who doesn't think Tom Nook is greedy at all? I mean the guy gives you multiple no interest, no money down, no payment plan loans without any credit check. I don't know if any of you have ever taken out loans, but that's not how they work lol.

I've actually always had the opposite view of Tom Nook than most people. He's a really nice guy looking to help you out. After all he leaves it up to you whether or not you want to renovate your home and heck he's only helping you out when you show up to town with literally no home and no money. Villager is the evil idiot here.

That said, I do think Isabelle is a way better fit for the reasons everyone gave. I'd like if Tom Nook did more than just the Villager final smash, but seeing how tied together they are as characters, it fits.

(ALSO That's why Redd exists. He's meant to be the opposite of Tom Nook. He's actually greedy and evil.)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Honestly, Isabelle is the only character who's absence as playable would surprise me this time around.

Though that list is much smaller than it once was, after Smash 4 proved DK wasn't as important as Kid Icarus, apparently. Oh and the concerns about time frame hurting Spring Man and Rex/Pyra.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Question, what if Amiibos unlocked extra alt. palletes for characters?
like for example inklings had 8 alts, but with the squid sisters amiibos you unlock them as extra alt.
And the same with some other amiibos, like getting to play as K.k slider as an alt. for the villager, or even more crazy, using the amiibo cards of the animal neighbours to play as them as salt. of the villager.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean it's probably a bit of a shock for how much I defend her, but honestly Isabelle isn't even one of my most wanted characters. She's just a character I think SHOULD be in. Thought the same of the Inklings and Miis, honestly. She just makes total sense to me as a character, and is easily the Nintendo character with the most star power that isn't on the roster. That alone makes her pretty deserving, IMO.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
You wish you could get an emotional outburst from me. :)

But moving on.

Isabelle is far too popular to ignore.

She's on that level worldwide that the Inklings are. She's the closest thing to a shoo-in we have now that they're in the game.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
You wish you could get an emotional outburst from me. :)

But moving on.

Isabelle is far too popular to ignore.

She's on that level worldwide that the Inklings are. She's the closest thing to a shoo-in we have now that they're in the game.
Tag me in the post next time instead of hiding bud! ;)

Moving on,

But I agree, Isabelle does have a shot, but definitely not a shoo-in.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I understand that, but all I am saying here is that his fan-depiction makes him easier to see as a fighter. Sakurai would probably know a large number of Animal Crossing fans that depict the character as a greedy evil raccoon. If we get down to the very basics, greed is one of the seven deadly sins that almost every person in the world would have a moral grasp of. I think such fan-portrayal of Tom would really help him imagine Tom fighting than Isabelle. Look at a number of villains/characters in American media that have greed as a characteristic:

It would not be that farfetched for Sakurai to think of Tom as a greedy fighter first than to think of his actual characterization and find that a fun idea.
But Sakurai is very clear that he wants to have characters stay true to themselves in his games. He won't add Tom Nook if he has to make him act like the Joker to fight. If he's in, he'll be Tom Nook, not some other character.

That would be reaching, which is what your initial question was about.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Oooooouuuf.... Last time I heard someone said something similar Pre-smash 4 release and for the DLC and ballot...They were very disapointed.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To be honest though, I really do think that this fan base has this..thing...where everything needs to be represented through a playable character. There are trophies, alternate colors, AT’s, items, stages...so many different ways that characters/series can be shown off in all their glory.
My issue with using this to dismiss characters is the fact that this line of thinking was used against Duck Hunt long before he became playable. "Not everything needs to be a character." And then bam, we got the character that that argument was most often used against.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I for one think people who think Villager is enough? Probably haven't played or seen more than 5 minutes of AC.

It's ALWAYS read that way to me, because anyone who has put any extensive time into an Animal Crossing game could simply not look at Villager and think he represents everything there is to that series.
Not at all. I've played all mainline AC that have released this side for an unholy amount of time and I don't want another rep. Tom Nook and Isabelle as fighters feels pretty forced. Unlike Villager, who is an avatar, Isabelle and Tom Nook are pretty well established as a secretary and a store chain owner. Forcing them to fight for the sake of it is out of character and unnecessary. If anything I want more stages that are not Smashville clones, as much as I like it.

Personally, the idea of hitting an innocent animal repeatedly doesn't really sit well with me. Duck Hunt is actively trying to kill you in Smash, which is very different from Isabelle accidentally hurting you (which also feels kinda wrong).
Seriously, all those clumsy fighter suggestions are distasteful. Do people really want to see Isabelle all flustered tripping and stuff all over the stage just to get smashed by a giant hammer, then shot in the face, and finally stomped to the abyss by Cap. Falcon?
Kirby, Pikachu, Yoshi, etc. all try to kill you, she wouldn't.
If she gets in, I seriously hope they don't put her in that awful position.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Personally, the idea of hitting an innocent animal repeatedly doesn't really sit well with me. Duck Hunt is actively trying to kill you in Smash,
The duck did nothing wrong you heathen.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Not at all. I've played all mainline AC that have released this side for an unholy amount of time and I don't want another rep. Tom Nook and Isabelle as fighters feels pretty forced. Unlike Villager, who is an avatar, Isabelle and Tom Nook are pretty well established as a secretary and a store chain owner. Forcing them to fight for the sake of it is out of character and unnecessary. If anything I want more stages that are not Smashville clones, as much as I like it.

Personally, the idea of hitting an innocent animal repeatedly doesn't really sit well with me. Duck Hunt is actively trying to kill you in Smash, which is very different from Isabelle accidentally hurting you (which also feels kinda wrong).
Seriously, all those clumsy fighter suggestions are distasteful. Do people really want to see Isabelle all flustered tripping and stuff all over the stage just to get smashed by a giant hammer, then shot in the face, and finally stomped to the abyss by Cap. Falcon?
See, that's a really valid criticism compared to a lot that I've heard. I don't agree that it would be unfitting in Smash, but I do understand it as a concern.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I’m in the boat that, frankly, thinks that characters aren’t the best way to represent a series.

Characters are the best way to represent characters.

It sounds weird, I know.

However, a character obviously by default represents the series they come from. We know this. Gameplay in Smash, however, and what that character does for the game is faaaaar more important to this Smasher and Nintendo gamer.

I’ve played plenty of Animal Crossing. PLENTY. More like an UNHEALTHY amount. There’s still furniture moving, public works, fishing, finding sketchy unidentifiable bones that the local business owner will take off your hands for no fee at all (Nook seems like a classy businessmen, but he gets that weird look in his eye when you walk around with some weird bones)!

Do I think that needs to be represented in a moveset? Not really. Isabelle plays the part of AT currently and she simply throws fruit. The possibility of throwing furniture out sounds like a violent version of what Isabelle does, with a mix of Dr. Wright. and his skyscrapers. Those can be represented just fine through AT and what not.

Obviously, there are characters who make more sense as a playable character. The thing is though, that as soon as it turns into, “They can represent so much in their moves” which isn’t the purpose of development time. The purpose of the development of the character is to make a working moveset that functions a certain way.

I think it’s a bit backwards, really. Sakurai doesn’t necessarily make the moveset with, “Oh! These features have to be used!”. It’s more of, “This character does this and uses these. How can I make it all fit together in the moveset?”

If it were only about representation, we’d have one mediocre roster i’ll tell you that much.

Btw, I would welcome Isabelle. But I highly doubt she’d just have **** crammed together to represent things. Isabelle will represent Isabelle, just like Villager represents Villagers in Animal Crossing.
I agree with this in the sense that I think Isabelle will get in, but not because "Villager doesn't represent everything in Animal Crossing". She'll get in because she's popular, a huge Nintendo icon, and has the potential of a new and interesting moveset in the form of a management fighter (building projects and such). I personally want her just for that unique potential.

Idk why the conversation shifted to series don't need to be completely repped by characters, but to answer Blue's question that's a stretch when it comes to Movesets.

I never understood this arguement...no one is killing each other in smash. It's a comical fighter. No one bleeds, gets seriously injured, and defintely doesn't die. In the end most of them even applaud the victor (looking at you Mewtwo). While Sakurai has mentioned not having the Villager fight in the past I think it had more to do with not seeing him have potential attacks as he wasn't a violent character. I don't think Sakurai has anything against Nintendo's icons getting into a comedic fight, I mean I don't think he'd be making the game if he did lol

Last edited:

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Isabelle is far from a shoo in. Absolutely no character is a shoo in. Inklings were the closest we've ever been, and even then there were valid arguments you could have made against them.

Every speculation period this echo chamber dog piles on characters they feel should make it, and then they don't. When the game releases, and they don't see the character, panic ensues as everyone frantically unlocks characters, only to find a few newcomers and clones. Then mass anger ensues and those same people berate sakurai for failing to see their genius, and bash the clones.

I promise you this will happen. You might think it won't, but it will. To avoid this its best you dont look at any character as a shoo in, or even close to a shoo in.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
But Sakurai is very clear that he wants to have characters stay true to themselves in his games. He won't add Tom Nook if he has to make him act like the Joker to fight.
Again, all I am saying is that the common characteristics like greed and its association with Tom Nook would help Sakurai easily imagine him as a fighter in the newcomer consideration process. Of course, he will likely fine-tune the character in a way that fits Tom Nook in Animal Crossing to a certain degree during the planning phase. Nook's characterization of being lazy in terms of money making methods is a picky thing at best, and I believe it is not something that would ultimately turn down his inclusion. That does not come as natural to me.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Stages for Super Smash Bros 5

Super Mario
  • Mario Galaxy
  • Mario Odyssey
  • Mario Circuit
  • Mushroom Kingdom U
  • 3D World
  • Luigi's Mansion 2
  • Super Mario Maker
  • Mario Party: The Top 100
  • Sarasaland
  • Paper Mario
  • Dr. Mario
Donkey Kong
  • Jungle Hijinx
  • Grassland Groove
The Legend of Zelda
  • Skyloft
  • Gerudo Valley
  • Outset Island
  • Hyrule Castle
Metroid
  • Pyrosphere
  • SR388
Yoshi
  • Woolly World
  • Flipping World
Kirby
  • Dreamland
  • The Great Cave Offensive
  • Fine Fields
  • Resolution Road
Star Fox
  • Orbital Gate Assault
  • Area 3
Pokemon
  • Kalos Pokemon League
  • Alola Pokemon League
F-Zero
  • Mute City
Earthbound
  • Magicant
Ice Climber
  • Icicle Mountain
Fire Emblem
  • Coliseum
Game & Watch
  • Game & Watch Gallery
Kid Icarus
  • Palutena's Temple
  • Labyrinth of Deceit
Wario
  • Game & Wario
  • WarioWare Gold
Pikmin
  • Garden of Hope
  • Twilight River
R.O.B.
  • Gyromite/Stack-Up
Animal Crossing
  • Town & City
  • Tortimer Island
Wii Fit
  • Wii Fit Studio
Punch-Out!!
  • Boxing Ring
Xenoblade
  • Gaur Plains
  • Azurda
Duck Hunt
  • Duck Hunt
Splatoon
  • Urchin Underpass
Rhythm Heaven
  • Rhythm Heaven
Excitebike
  • Excitebike Stadium
Sheriff
  • Sheriff
Sonic The Hedgehog
  • Studiopolis Zone
Mega Man
  • Wily Castle
Pac-Man
  • Namco Museum
Street Fighter
  • Suzaku Castle
Final Fantasy
  • Midgar
Bayonetta
  • Umbra Clock Tower
Bomberman
  • Battlefeild
Castlevania
  • Dracula's Castle
Other
  • Living Room
  • Brain Age
  • Tomodachi Life
  • Balloon Fight
  • Pinball
  • Pilotwings
  • Wuhu Island
  • Wrecking Crew
  • Snipperclips
  • Sanderson Household
  • Panel De Pon

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Oooooouuuf.... Last time I heard someone said something similar Pre-smash 4 release and for the DLC and ballot...They were very disapointed.
I think the only person disappointed here is CroonerMike CroonerMike because he really thinks he matters to me.

That's the oof.

Anyways. I have no doubt I won't be disappointed. Isabelle is on a whole other level than a lot of the other requested newcomers around here. If she can't get in? They have no chance.

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Topic: When it comes to people bringing up gameplay potential for a certain newcomer in Smash, what kind of move-set ideas feel forced to you? I am asking this mainly for my Tom Nook RTC analysis, and perspectives would definitely help.
Way too many Rex and Pyra moveset ideas end up down playing the hell out of Pyra, either having her just stand around in the background giving Rex a passive buff or making her merely one of three blades Rex switches between to change weapon types. Prya's the very thing that makes Rex stand from the other characters in Smash in terms of both moveset and personality to begin with, no moveset idea should push her off to the side like some afterthought. It's why I feel like they're the one character where bringing back transformations would actually be justified.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Isabelle is far from a shoo in. Absolutely no character is a shoo in. Inklings were the closest we've ever been, and even then there were valid arguments you could have made against them.

Every speculation period this echo chamber dog piles on characters they feel should make it, and then they don't. When the game releases, and they don't see the character, panic ensues as everyone frantically unlocks characters, only to find a few newcomers and clones. Then mass anger ensues and those same people berate sakurai for failing to see their genius, and bash the clones.

I promise you this will happen. You might think it won't, but it will. To avoid this its best you dont look at any character as a shoo in, or even close to a shoo in.
Can I give you a cookie? You summarized everything I'm trying to warn people about the past few weeks.
Hopefully, one day they'll learn

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Isabelle is by far a shoo-in situation.

Ya'll are the same people who really think Elma and Rex are all stars and a second Xenoblade rep is basically all but guaranteed.

But Isabelle isn't?

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I think the only person disappointed here is CroonerMike CroonerMike because he really thinks he matters to me.

That's the oof.

Anyways. I have no doubt I won't be disappointed. Isabelle is on a whole other level than a lot of the other requested newcomers around here. If she can't get in? They have no chance.
Come on, don't be a jerk bud. Relax. I am not attacking you at all. I'm simply trying to have a conversation.

I'm personally not disappointed about anything. I only want K. Rool in smash. Even then I don't get disappointed when he's not in.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Come on, don't be a jerk bud. Relax. I am not attacking you at all. I'm simply trying to have a conversation.

I'm personally not disappointed about anything. I only want K. Rool in smash. Even then I don't get disappointed when he's not in.
I am kind of being a jerk and for that I apologize to you. I came at you a bit hard. I don't even know why. Must be on edge about something off board related.

I was trying to have a conversation and I guess I really did have an emotional outburst. Huh. Fancy that.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Again, all I am saying is that the common characteristics like greed and its association with Tom Nook would help Sakurai easily imagine him as a fighter in the newcomer consideration process. Of course, he will likely fine-tune the character in a way that fits Tom Nook in Animal Crossing to a certain degree. Nook's characterization of being lazy in terms of money making methods is a picky thing at best, and I believe it is not something that would ultimately turn down his inclusion. That does not come as natural to me.
I hate to tell you, but Sakurai is picky when it comes to accurately portraying characters. If he wants to add Tom Nook, he won't look at the character and say "to hell with it, let's make him unscrupulous." He would find a way to portray the character that's accurate to his personality, abilities, and weaknesses. He wouldn't add him first and then question how to make him fit.

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I am kind of being a jerk and for that I apologize to you. I came at you a bit hard. I don't even know why. Must be on edge about something off board related.

I was trying to have a conversation and I guess I really did have an emotional outburst. Huh. Fancy that.
Here, I shouldn't of said emotional outburst. What I meant is that you are super passionate about a character. I used to be about Geno. Sometimes our passions make us defensive is all.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Isabelle is by far a shoo-in situation.

Ya'll are the same people who really think Elma and Rex are all stars and a second Xenoblade rep is basically all but guaranteed.

But Isabelle isn't?

Well, I dunno about them, but thats not what I think lol.
I've been around since brawl speculation. I've done my time and seen what happens. Smashboards is almost always completely wrong. It isn't until we start getting leaks closer to release that help curve speculation that things get closer.

Maybe it's easier for me to take this stance because to me, brawl added all of the essentials I felt the series needed. Now its just flavor of the week stuff, the icing if you will. It makes it much easier to not hold a stake in things and be disappointed.

I do have some characters I hope for, (chibi robo/sora) but I know better than to trick myself into believing a character is pretty much guaranteed. That's the quickest way to get upset lol

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think with the way Isabelle has played prominently in promotion for not only her series but Nintendo as a whole. It's a little dishonest to call her a flavor of the week type of addition to Smash Brothers.

That's also kinda being weird about any sort of Nintendo all star that becomes so after your so called cut off point. I mean it's pretty obvious the Inklings are also already all-stars.

Or are they too flavor of the week?

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Imagine fighting and arguing about which character have the largest e-penis to get in a crossover fighting video game and dissmissing the other because you have the biggest one.

But remember guys. It's not the lenght (Fame,Iconess and such) that only matter the most. But also how we use it. (Moveset potential)

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
User was warned for this post
Disclaimer: I am well aware that I am probably going to be wrong on my predictions.

I dunno, we were pretty spot on about Little Mac. And that was before that leak was out IIRC.
It was.

The boards were also right about Mega Man, Pac-Man, Palutena, Miis, and Shulk before any leaks. Some people also predicted Robin instead of Chrom correctly, myself included.

Last edited by a moderator:

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
I dunno, we were pretty spot on about Little Mac. And that was before that leak was out IIRC.
Boards also guessed ridley, krool, bandana dee, meoletta, ghirahim, waluigi, daisy, isabelle, isaac, etc. They are always more wrong than right.

I remember fighting people tooth and nail over pacman and shulk. The boards were pretty split on a lot of things. The chrom gag only had so much impact because everyone swore he would get in, even before the leak.

Last edited:

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace

Alright, I'm going to share few information about Sakurai's cat. Are you saying that you already saw his cat as he's on thee poster in the cabin at Pokemon Stadium 2.

Sorry to say that Sakurai confirmed that it's not his cat so it's not his cat at all. Here is a picture of his cat.

Her name is Fukura. When Sakurai was asked about what Fukura meant, and Sakurai said, "It's a secret." So Only him and probably his wife know what her name meant and where it came from. Also she's 9 years old, and she born during April 2009. The breed of Fukura is Scottish Fold.

Sakurai mentioned that it was incredibly hard to able to have a cat in Tokyo Building Apartment, so he was glad that he finally able to have his own cat in the house. It's not secret that he's a cat lover!

Source: Fukura Article (Also there are more pictures in there, and more details as well)

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I'm only passionate about a select few characters. Mimikyu because I loved its backstory and somewhat related to it (also Ghost and Fairy were my two favorite types prior to its reveal )and Daisy because she feels completely left out of everything but Spin-off games and I cannot figure out a legitimate reason why. I really like Daisy's personality as a foil to Peach's and Rosalina's too. would be nice if we at least saw her hanging out with Peach in Odyssey or maybe she sees a bit of an Arc in a Paper Mario sequel. Just dropping characters out of no where drives me crazy....thankfully I don't play LoZ.

I also was pretty passionate about Inklings because if any series truly "deserved" a place in Smash it was Splatoon. They fit so perfectly it would have been a crime for them to not be included.

I don't expect either though. I am almost willing to bet money Daisy will never even be a reskin of Peach and holy hell is that a sad thing to want for her as a best case scenario. Mimikyu I'm super wishy-washy on, some days I feel like its a guarantee and others I feel like I'm kidding myself. Meh, guess I'll find out.

I don't really know what the whole bandwagon stuff is all about. Everyone seems to stick with their own opinion pretty consistently. Even the Eevee thing was people just playing around with the idea as opposed to "even is expecting Eevee cause of Go!"

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
The only reason Isabelle isn't a 100% shoe-in from my viewpoint despite her all-star status is because Toad somehow failed to get in Brawl and Smash 4 despite his all-star status so being a genuinely huge Nintendo character isn't a complete guarantee for inclusion. That said she's still tied with Excitebiker for "most likely Smash Switch newcomer after Inklings" in my book.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Never, ever, EVER, say a character is guaranteed to be in without any clear cut sources outright claiming they're in. Just because you think a character is likely, or has potential, or think you can read Sakurai's mind, it doesn't mean whatever character you're advocating for is a "shoo in".

As someone that was, unfortunately, deluded enough to believe Ridley was gonna be playable last game no matter what, let me tell you; it's one thing to feel sad about your character not getting in, but it's infinitely more harrowing to realize that after zealously defending said character to the bitter end, your efforts were completely worthless, you'l be (understandably) mocked for it, and you'll feel like an utter dolt.

Don't fall for the same trap I fell for 4 years ago. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom