• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Disclaimer: I am well aware that I am probably going to be wrong on my predictions.
I echo this. I know I've made some pretty bold declarations for newcomers, but I know they may not make it in. However, I also know I'm going to buy the game no matter what.

Edit: Even if I don't like a character that gets in, I won't be mad. I'll just use them as a punching bag. :demon:

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Controversial subject:
If custom moves do not return would the Miis?
The loss of customs wouldn't necessarily mean Miis won't come back. They could in theory give Miis a ton of options to choose from for their move-sets by giving up the time spent developing customs for other characters. I think Miis are coming back for sure but customs are pretty iffy.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Controversial subject:
If custom moves go, I don't expect Miis to be cut entirely. Rather, I could see them being replaced with a standard moveset based around things like Miitopia or Wii Sports Resort or Tomodachi Life. Still would have customizable appearances and whatnot though.

Or they could just keep the customs for only the Miis, I suppose.

At the end of the day I just don't see them being cut entirely though, mainly since Mii costumes and hats are probably a decent moneymaker for Nintendo given how many DLC costume sets they did.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I do think Isabelle is probably the most likely 2nd Animal Crossing rep if there is one (And I don't even think that's necessarily a guarantee yet). Though I usually see Isabelle fans kind of conflicted about her being playable. Some may not want to hurt the little secretary girl like that. There are cute characters in Smash though the difference is their main gameplay was about fighting eachother (Pokemon, particulary Pikachu and Jigglypuff), characters that look cute but are kind of monsters that can go to the lengths of EATING hordes of enemies (Yoshi and Kirby), and/or went on an entire adventure battling enemies along the way (Toon Link, Ness, and Lucas).

None of them are simply just pacifist assistants who just try to do the best they can to help out the player's avatar (Well except maybe Wii Fit Trainer in trying to get you to get fit, but I think that's another matter entirely)

As her current assist trophy in Smash 4, you can't hurt her. Worst you can do is make her sad if you KO the character she's trying to help out while she's still out there. Some may feel that's more in line with her assistance character.

I'm neither for or against Isabelle. Just noting that there may be some amount of hesitance about it even among her own fanbase heh. I suppose on the flip side it'd work towards some degree of humor to see her manage to beat up all the other fighters whichever way she fights. Still I couldn't blame fans for not wanting to see her get hurt in the many ways she could in Smash heh.

I'd still welcome it if it happens just because she has become the face for newer Animal Crossing titles. But I wouldn't be surprised to see alot of Isabelle fans after the confirmation say "Oh this is so cool! ...But I don't want to hurt her :(".

Villager was a blank slate and was probably helped by the Killager meme to kind of make him fit early in Smash 4, and AC Fans have always had at least sort of a beef with Tom Nook for all the debts he makes you pay in the series so there probably would be less of a hesitance there. (I'd laugh if Tom Nook was a DLC character. Making you pay REAL money to put him in the game, would be kinda meta that way). Not saying I'm explicitly supporting Tom over Isabelle though. I'm fine with whatever they do with Animal Crossing representation. I only played New Leaf so I'm kind of just a casual fan of it (Haven't touched it much lately though, briefly picked it back up when the Welcome Amiibo stuff dropped but lost interest again pretty soon afterward)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The only reason Isabelle isn't a 100% shoe-in from my viewpoint despite her all-star status is because Toad somehow failed to get in Brawl and Smash 4 despite his all-star status so being a genuinely huge Nintendo character isn't a complete guarantee for inclusion. That said she's still tied with Excitebiker for "most likely Smash Switch newcomer after Inklings" in my book.
Toad isn't the face of his franchise though. I love me some Toad, but his situation is nothing compared to Isabelle's.

Isabelle is the most important NPC in Animal Crossing. Prior to her? It was Tom Nook, but he never reached her success.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Controversial subject:
Nah, Miis are here to stay a while I think. They are still integrated into the Switch and make a lot of money with those costumes. I'd rather them have static movesets more based on their own games, most of their moves just felt like other characters'.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
If the game is actually called “Yoshi’s Flipping Island,” you can bet your bottom dollar I will refer to that game EXCLUSIVELY as “Yoshi’s ****ing Island.”

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I'm in the boat who personally wouldn't mind seeing Isabelle as a clumsy character who trips, falls, drops a stack of papers, and pretty much Jar-Jar Binks herself through the whole battle. It'd make for a fun and endearing moveset imo.

As for why that wouldn't bother me like some people? Can't really come up with a valid answer that's not "I just wouldn't mind" or "this is the same series where Ganondorf, the King of Evil, can kill Olimar with a baseball bat", but those are my actual views.

Plus I feel those saying "why would you wanna hit Isabelle?" are overexaggerating imo.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I hate to tell you, but Sakurai is picky when it comes to accurately portraying characters. If he wants to add Tom Nook, he won't look at the character and say "to hell with it, let's make him unscrupulous." He would find a way to portray the character that's accurate to his personality, abilities, and weaknesses. He wouldn't add him first and then question how to make him fot better.
Do you think a single aspect of his characterization would ultimately turn him down over the potential gameplay options he could play around with in terms of his move-set theme on relying on money? I think creative liberty would take priority over a single characteristic that does not really turn down Tom Nook as a character. Even in Brawl, when Ike was added at the time uniqueness was a semi-major part of selecting character, his characterization of being a fast and strong sword user in Path of Radiance to Smash was modified in a way that would adjust to the balance of his character in gameplay. Villager and Wii Fit Trainer weren't originally characterized in their respective games to commit violence, but Smash bends the rules that allows them to stay true while allowing them to use their tools for combat.

I am not saying that Tom Nook would be portrayed as un-scrumpulous in Smash. He can remain true to who he in personality as he is in Animal Crossing, he will just be adjusted in a way that displays his personality in small visual ways while also utilizing his characteristics of money business for combat. Even in Kid Icarus: Uprising, Palutena lets Pit do all of the hard work in combat and she has at one point in Chapter 3 where she intentionally used "Monster Pheromones" on Pit to attract the Hewdraw Boss's attention. In Smash, she does all of the hard work in combat. Tom's characterization aspect of letting players do his dirty work is far from being an obstacle.

Isabelle is essentially Aggretsuko. I mean there's already tons of fan art.
I do not like the Aggretsuko cartoon personally, but her as an internally angry worker would be an amazing idea.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Just want to stress that it wouldn't bother me personally. Just some Isabelle fans will probably be hesitant. I'd be perfectly fine with Isabelle if she made it.

Nielicus

Smash Lord
Isabelle is essentially Aggretsuko. I mean there's already tons of fan art.
Lol I love this comparison.

I wouldn't be mad if Isabelle was simply an alt costume for villager but it'd be nice to see her as a fully fleshed out character. From my perspective, there aren't many OMG characters left to add. I just hope they put more personality into this game, and more energy into the single player/local experiences because Smash 4 was pure trash in those departments.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
If custom moves go, I don't expect Miis to be cut entirely. Rather, I could see them being replaced with a standard moveset based around things like Miitopia or Wii Sports Resort or Tomodachi Life. Still would have customizable appearances and whatnot though.

Or they could just keep the customs for only the Miis, I suppose.

At the end of the day I just don't see them being cut entirely though, mainly since Mii costumes and hats are probably a decent moneymaker for Nintendo given how many DLC costume sets they did.
If they were to make the Miis have one standardized move set based on their own games, that would remove some of their ability to be used to approximate characters that aren’t in Smash, since a Mii game based moveset most likely won’t be fitting for whichever character people would be trying to emulate.
(If Smash Switch is essentially based on Smash 4 such that the existing three Mii classes would be easy to port, though, a Mii game based moveset would be a nice additional class.)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I hope most of the original 12 get tweeks to their movesets to reference other games they were in.

For instance: Yoshi should be able to summon a whole government to attack his opponets as a reference to the classic Yoshi Commits Tax Fraud.

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Isabelle having a bunch of accidental attacks would seem weird to me. I mean, if Isabelle didn't want to fight, why would she join Smash in the first place? Villager himself only has two attacks that seem unintentional: his dash attack and his forward smash.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Less than three weeks, y'all. We're almost there.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Unrelated to the Killager and Isabelle fighting in Smash together stuff...but I want the Kid Icarus series to have atleast one more character (an extra one would sufffice aswell) to join the lovely and friendly dynamic duo of:4pit:and:4palutena:....with:4darkpit:being there aswell I guess...and that person to join should be Viridi

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Isabelle having a bunch of accidental attacks would seem weird to me. I mean, if Isabelle didn't want to fight, why would she join Smash in the first place? Villager himself only has two attacks that seem unintentional: his dash attack and his forward smash.
Isabelle would join Smash absolutely. If it meant pulling the mayor back to his mayor-ly tasks.

I mean let's be real.

Luigi wouldn't join Smash willingly either. He's a giant coward. The idea of fighting the likes of which Smash has would probably make him cower.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Less than three weeks, y'all. We're almost there.
I know. It'll be so nice to be excited all together again instead of at each other's throats with speculation. It'll also be horrible because people are going to be disappointed and angry no matter what gets shown, and who gets revealed.

Ahh, Smash. Nothing quite like it.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Unrelated to the Killager and Isabelle fighting in Smash together stuff...but I want the Kid Icarus series to have atleast one more character (an extra one would sufffice aswell) to join the lovely and friendly dynamic duo of:4pit:and:4palutena:....with:4darkpit:being there aswell I guess...and that person to join should be Viridi
I don't know anything about Kid Icarus but I'd rather have medusa personally. She's badass as hell and would complete the trio of the original kid icarus.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
User was warned for this post
Isabelle would join Smash absolutely. If it meant pulling the mayor back to his mayor-ly tasks.

I mean let's be real.

Luigi wouldn't join Smash willingly either. He's a giant coward. The idea of fighting the likes of which Smash has would probably make him cower.
Also, think about it. Isabelle is the mayor's assistant, and would do anything for the mayor. Say whoop some ass.

Isabelle is a ride or die.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but I think AC representation is perfectly fine with just Villager. Isabelle can stick being an at for all I care.
I disagree.
I think Isabelle and Villager are fine representing Animal Crossing. I feel like the NPCs contribute a lot more than usual games, so I think Isabelle is just fine.
Maybe some others if a new game comes out.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I don't know anything about Kid Icarus but I'd rather have medusa personally. She's badass as hell and would complete the trio of the original kid icarus.
If it weren’t for the fact that she’s dead (as is Hades in a physical way unfortunately), I went with Viridi, though both Medusa and Hades joining along would be a dream that’ll probably never come true

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
If it weren’t for the fact that she’s dead (as is Hades in a physical way unfortunately), I went with Viridi, though both Medusa and Hades joining along would be a dream that’ll probably never come true
I don't think that matters much, ganondorf is also canonically dead

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I don't think that matters much, ganondorf is also canonically dead
True, but he’s lucky enough to have multiple evil incarnations and is handsome half the time (and I think Smash 4 is canon to the KI series, with Pittoo joining Viridi and talking about how Hades is done)

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Do you think a single aspect of his characterization would ultimately turn him down over the potential gameplay options he could play around with in terms of his move-set theme on relying on money? I think creative liberty would take priority over a single characteristic that does not really turn down Tom Nook as a character. Even in Brawl, when Ike was added at the time uniqueness was a semi-major part of selecting character, his characterization of being a fast and strong sword user in Path of Radiance to Smash was modified in a way that would adjust to the balance of his character in gameplay. Villager and Wii Fit Trainer weren't originally characterized in their respective games to commit violence, but Smash bends the rules that allows them to stay true while allowing them to use their tools for combat.

I am not saying that Tom Nook would be portrayed as un-scrumpulous in Smash. He can remain true to who he in personality as he is in Animal Crossing, he will just be adjusted in a way that displays his personality in small visual ways while also utilizing his characteristics of money business for combat. Even in Kid Icarus: Uprising, Palutena lets Pit do all of the hard work in combat and she has at one point in Chapter 3 where she intentionally used "Monster Pheromones" on Pit to attract the Hewdraw Boss's attention. In Smash, she does all of the hard work in combat. Tom's characterization aspect of letting players do his dirty work is far from being an obstacle.
Fair enough. I thought you were saying he should be portrayed as selfish and whatnot. If he isn't, then I have no qualms with adding him.

Regarding his personality and abilities in your moveset, I feel like the most important thing other than staying with a coheaive playstyle would be to not stray too far into things he doesn't have a connection with.

Nook could easily utilize bells, tools, furniture, plants, and the like, but I'm not sold on him using stuff like holiday items, public works projects, or fossils, which are associated much more strongly with other characters.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Wow, people actually talking about Isabelle.

Let me give you another reason why she will be in. The Animal Crossing twitter account, which has 186K followers, is Isabelle's twitter account. It has her face all over it. She is the face of the series and one of the most popular character not in Super Smash Brother.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
True, but he’s lucky enough to have multiple evil incarnations and is handsome half the time (and I think Smash 4 is canon to the KI series, with Pittoo joining Viridi and talking about how Hades is done)
I guess but I'm sure they can find an excuse to bring her back, I don't think it matters much

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Fair enough. I thought you were saying he should be portrayed as selfish and whatnot. If he isn't, then I have no qualms with adding him.

Regarding his personality and abilities in your moveset, I feel like the most important thing other than staying with a coheaive playstyle would be to not stray too far into things he doesn't have a connection with.

Nook could easily utilize bells, tools, furniture, plants, and the like, but I'm not sold on him using stuff like holiday items, public works projects, or fossils, which are associated much more strongly with other characters.
By the way, my full stance on Tom Nook's chance in Smash are here if you want to know why I still keep him in my predictions:

https://smashboards.com/threads/rat...day-75-tom-nook.453357/page-180#post-22074513

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I guess but I'm sure they can find an excuse to bring her back, I don't think it matters much
I hope so, cause the more Kid Icarus content in Smash I can get, the closer I get to an Uprising sequel and port

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It was.

The boards were also right about Mega Man, Pac-Man, Palutena, Miis, and Shulk before any leaks. Some people also predicted Robin instead of Chrom correctly, myself included.
Myself, Arcadenik and a few others also predicted Duck Hunt despite the onslaught of Takamaru cries.

I also guessed Ludwig but that was done as a joke. A joke with a secret want.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I love the KI series, and I'd love to see Viridi playable. But honestly, Medusa would be much cooler to see in, and I'd expect her in before anyone else from KI honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom