• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smartz

Smash Cadet
I'm almost scared of Smash's E3 reveal.

Also, I'll be disappointed with the invitational because none of the players will pick Yoshi. I guarantee it
And my quesition is will any of them “Expand Dong”

I’m so sorry for the old meme...

Nielicus

Smash Lord
I can't wait to see the visual direction they go in this game. I hope a lot of the veterans are changed in some way too.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
While I do understand what you're saying, I absolutely do consider those characters to have archetypes that were specifically tailored to their personalities.

As a Pac-Man main, I can tell you with certainty that he was designed to be a character that plays exactly like his games. It's not a stretch.

He uses the layout of the arena to manipulate his opponents while simultaneously staying as far away from them as possible. That's his gameplan in Smash, and it's also his gameplan in his arcade game. He uses the layout of the maze to manipulate the AI of the ghosts so he can stay safe while eating the pellets.

Even his fruit charge reflects this, as you have to have enough time to go for the charge to get any given fruit, which becomes harder the higher you charge. This is exactly like how you need to carefully plan your way into a situation where you can grab the fruit for extra points without dying in Pac-Man, which is also harder for higher leveled fruit.

A character can have a bunch of weird abilities thrown together, but that doesn't mean it's not all carefully crafted together around a certral idea by Sakurai. Like - take Game and Watch - all of his moves are references, but he represents the Game and Watch games perfectly by also being a character who has to play really, really well, or he loses. If you make a mistake in a Game and Watch game, you just lose. The same thing applies to Game and Watch in Smash, because he's a paper cannon.

Corrin is very, very clearly designed to be a spacer. Everything from his lance arms to his projectile and his pin. It's all about keeping opponents away so he doesn't die, because if the Lord dies in Fire Emblen, you're through.

I agree that the characters you mention aren't weakly designed, but I argue that that's because the core of their gameplay was still at the focus when Sakurai designed their movesets.
With Pacman you're right that he's designed to emulate Pacman games, and that every character is designed with that sort of thought process to some extent or another. I cut the part of your post where you say every character needs to carry the character's essence when I quoted you because I have no disagreement there. I also mentioned that things ultimately have to work together as a cohesive playstyle. But what I was more getting at was you saying that characters are based on simple concepts like stat changer, puppeteer, ect.. The only concise way I could describe Pacman is that he is Pacman, which is neither an archetype nor is it simple, as there are multifaceted aspects to what makes Pacman Pacman, and in order to make that happen the devs had to get really creative with abstracting things from his games and then unabstracting them to fit the context. Archetype means an overarching type that a lot of examples fit into. Pacman isn't tailored to fit an archetype, he's tailored specifically to be Packman so hard that he doesn't fit into an archetype.

Furthermore, and towards my other point, that point can be reached not only by starting with a character concept and creating a moveset to fit that, but also by selecting moves peacemeal that represent different aspects of the character and then skillfully assembling them together into something that works. Example off the top of my head - Marth. All his moves have sweet spots to emulate crits in Fire Emblem. Dancing blade is a multi-step attack because FE has multi-attacks if you're fast enough. Counter is there because FE has counterattacks. Sheildbreaker is based off of Marth's signature weapon the rapier piercing armor. He's big on spacing because positioning is important in FE. Ect.. Sakurai took a bunch of unrelated concepts that happen to be important to Marth or Fire Emblem, converted those to even less obviously related individual character traits and moves for Smash, and then found a way to make it all work as one character. From a design perspective that's wildly different from something like taking Rosalina, saying "she'd make sense as a puppet character, let's try to make her moveset a puppeteer toolkit" and working from there. When fans make "a bunch of unrelated references" type movesets the Marth thing is what they're going for, it's just really hard to do well. In essence I'm objecting to the idea that you need to start with an overarching theme for the character and build things from there, when you can also represent different aspects with different moves or traits and then put them together in a way that works.

Corrin has several spacing tools and I even said if I had to I'd call them a zoning character, but they plays loose with the concept. I'll more or less cede the point there though.

With G&W the fact that his moveset is a bunch of random incongruous stuff is itself conceptually representative of the character. The G&W games are just a bunch of handheld games unrelated beyond hardware and publisher. Unlike everyone else in Smash G&W's games have no overarching gameplay concept, no consistent or even primary setting, characters, tone, style, nothing. And that's why none of G&W's moves have anything to do with each other either. But they are still put together in a way that the complete character works as a fighting game character. I'm not sure I'd say being fragile or high risk high reward is a "central idea" of G&W. It's certainly part of his character concept, but there's large chunks of who he is as a character that are unrelated to that. It's less central and more one of many pieces of the pie.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I can't wait to see the visual direction they go in this game. I hope a lot of the veterans are changed in some way too.
I'm just curious where they'll go from smash 4, that game's art style looks great and manages to suit all of the different characters as well, unlike Brawl no one feels out of place. Will it even change?

Luminario

Smash Lord

Alright, I'm going to share few information about Sakurai's cat. Are you saying that you already saw his cat as he's on thee poster in the cabin at Pokemon Stadium 2.

Sorry to say that Sakurai confirmed that it's not his cat so it's not his cat at all. Here is a picture of his cat.

Her name is Fukura. When Sakurai was asked about what Fukura meant, and Sakurai said, "It's a secret." So Only him and probably his wife know what her name meant and where it came from. Also she's 9 years old, and she born during April 2009. The breed of Fukura is Scottish Fold.

Sakurai mentioned that it was incredibly hard to able to have a cat in Tokyo Building Apartment, so he was glad that he finally able to have his own cat in the house. It's not secret that he's a cat lover!

Source: Fukura Article (Also there are more pictures in there, and more details as well)
If we ever get a cat character, we need a Fukura palette swap.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'm just curious where they'll go from smash 4, that game's art style looks great and manages to suit all of the different characters as well, unlike Brawl no one feels out of place. Will it even change?
Disagree with all of the characters fitting in with the artstyle, Ganondorf looked awful in Smash 4. I'm hoping he has a new look like Link for this game. Especially if they decide to go with HW instead of a BOTW inspired style.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Disagree with all of the characters fitting in with the artstyle, Ganondorf looked awful in Smash 4. I'm hoping he has a new look like Link for this game. Especially if they decide to go with HW instead of a BOTW inspired style.
Ganondorf's issue for me was his stupid derpy face, I think the model itself looks fine personally

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
-OW THE EDGE INTENSIFIES-

....I would be hyped. :lol:
"Death to all who oppose me... Chaos! Blast!"

Honestly one of my top favorite Sonic series characters. Rouge and Metal Sonic are the others. His game honestly made him so much more endearing characterization-wise to me. Felt way more fleshed out than simply a dark backstory. In Adventure 2, he was pretty much edgy too. Heroes was just... overly dramatic due to the game's own tone of severely high amounts of cheese. Shadow still has cheese too, but it did more for his character, including giving him tons of unique stuff to really separate him from Sonic. 06 kept it going further. It's just too bad that 06 was the last game for his playable appearances where he wasn't a clone.

Regardless, I wish we had some Shadow music in Smash. He has lots of great ones.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
With Pacman you're right that he's designed to emulate Pacman games, and that every character is designed with that sort of thought process to some extent or another. I cut the part of your post where you say every character needs to carry the character's essence when I quoted you because I have no disagreement there. I also mentioned that things ultimately have to work together as a cohesive playstyle. But what I was more getting at was you saying that characters are based on simple concepts like stat changer, puppeteer, ect.. The only concise way I could describe Pacman is that he is Pacman, which is neither an archetype nor is it simple, as there are multifaceted aspects to what makes Pacman Pacman, and in order to make that happen the devs had to get really creative with abstracting things from his games and then unabstracting them to fit the context. Archetype means an overarching type that a lot of examples fit into. Pacman isn't tailored to fit an archetype, he's tailored specifically to be Packman so hard that he doesn't fit into an archetype.

Furthermore, and towards my other point, that point can be reached not only by starting with a character concept and creating a moveset to fit that, but also by selecting moves peacemeal that represent different aspects of the character and then skillfully assembling them together into something that works. Example off the top of my head - Marth. All his moves have sweet spots to emulate crits in Fire Emblem. Dancing blade is a multi-step attack because FE has multi-attacks if you're fast enough. Counter is there because FE has counterattacks. Sheildbreaker is based off of Marth's signature weapon the rapier piercing armor. He's big on spacing because positioning is important in FE. Ect.. Sakurai took a bunch of unrelated concepts that happen to be important to Marth or Fire Emblem, converted those to even less obviously related individual character traits and moves for Smash, and then found a way to make it all work as one character. From a design perspective that's wildly different from something like taking Rosalina, saying "she'd make sense as a puppet character, let's try to make her moveset a puppeteer toolkit" and working from there. When fans make "a bunch of unrelated references" type movesets the Marth thing is what they're going for, it's just really hard to do well. In essence I'm objecting to the idea that you need to start with an overarching theme for the character and build things from there, when you can also represent different aspects with different moves or traits and then put them together in a way that works.

Corrin has several spacing tools and I even said if I had to I'd call them a zoning character, but they plays loose with the concept. I'll more or less cede the point there though.

With G&W the fact that his moveset is a bunch of random incongruous stuff is itself conceptually representative of the character. The G&W games are just a bunch of handheld games unrelated beyond hardware and publisher. Unlike everyone else in Smash G&W's games have no overarching gameplay concept, no consistent or even primary setting, characters, tone, style, nothing. And that's why none of G&W's moves have anything to do with each other either. But they are still put together in a way that the complete character works as a fighting game character. I'm not sure I'd say being fragile or high risk high reward is a "central idea" of G&W. It's certainly part of his character concept, but there's large chunks of who he is as a character that are unrelated to that. It's less central and more one of many pieces of the pie.
This is one of the greatest Smashboards posts I have read in my time of participating in Smash Switch speculation. Bravo to you. :kirby:

Last edited:

Nielicus

Smash Lord
The teaser indicates that the artstyle will be a cross between Brawl and Smash 4, which is ideal I feel.
I was getting Brawl meets Smash 4 vibes at first but now Idk, I'm feeling Melee vibes as well from this game in terms of style but we've seen so little this is just me guessing lol. My overall guess is that it will be a celebration of the series in general.

Also this is minor but something I want to point out, there's a point in the trailer where the Inkling is facing away from the camera and there is a dotted neon glo effect on the back of her Hair/Tentacles that I don't think we've seen on the character before, similar touch to the stars they added to Rosalina's dress. I love the detail the developers put into the design of the characters.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I was getting Brawl meets Smash 4 vibes at first but now Idk, I'm feeling Melee vibes as well from this game in terms of style but we've seen so little this is just me guessing lol. My overall guess is that it will be a celebration of the series in general.

Also this is minor but something I want to point out, there's a point in the trailer where the Inkling is facing away from the camera and there is a dotted neon glo effect on the back of her Hair/Tentacles that I don't think we've seen on the character before, similar touch to the stars they added to Rosalina's dress. I love the detail the developers put into the design of the characters.
please not melee, that art style is so ugly fr

D

Deleted member

So by show of hands....who here would feel legit bad every time they have to KO Isabelle :laugh:

A reminder that Isabelle is shown to cower when the action gets too close for comfort.

And this is someone people seriously think should be a playable fighter.

D

Deleted member

She's just practicing her side step so she doesn't get hit.
Cowering away as compared to fellow Animal Crossing AT, Mr. Resetti who just takes hits like a boss and itches to join the action himself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

A reminder that Isabelle is shown to cower when the action gets too close for comfort.

Didn't Villager do something similar in Brawl, on Smashville?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

I see what you're saying. I honestly think we're essentially in agreement.

While I definitely failed to properly articulate what I was thinking, I do agree with you on what you're saying. You don't need to start with an archetype so much as you need to have a glue that keeps the character true to themselves, which is what I was meaning to say.

The big takeaway from me is that a character's moves need to be pieces to a puzzle instead of being just randomly tacked on for the sake of references.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I think people are really over exaggerating the Isabelle thing :p

1) It’s a cartoon-y party fighter, not Mortal Kombat. It’s really not a particularly violent game.
2) We can already punch women, children, adorable little creatures and a dog. Isabelle isn’t a stretch at all.

You want something in Smash that makes you feel bad? Kill some of Olimar’s Pikmin. Now THAT’S a heartbreaking experience :laugh:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Cowering away as compared to fellow Animal Crossing AT, Mr. Resetti who just takes hits like a boss and itches to join the action himself.

If you hit Resetti, he explodes. Sounds like prime fighter material to me.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
please not melee, that art style is so ugly fr
To be fair, I'm not sure Melee had a proper unifying style so much as
"TEXTURES! FLIP YEAH!"

The step forward of the 6th Generation is often understated.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Since we're on the topic, how would Resetti fight? Attacking with his pickaxe seems obvious, but I'd love it if his moveset somehow involved him fighting with his massive speech bubbles. Just imagine him yanking one down from midair and whacking someone with it.

D

Deleted member

I feel like Luigi is no different from this
Not even close.

Luigi is a scardey-cat, but he will jump into the fray when necessary.

Isabelle notably keeps to the side of the battlegrounds as a support instead of getting in the line of fire herself. And even then, she jumps back even further and flinches as if afraid to be hit at all whenever the fight is close to her.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
To be fair, I'm not sure Melee had a proper unifying style so much as
"TEXTURES! FLIP YEAH!"

The step forward of the 6th Generation is often understated.
true but all the characters have this weirdly dark yet bright and saturated look. the lighter, slightly washed out smash 4 has is just so much nicer to look at imo. Characters like mario and bowser in melee make me wanna throw up lmao.

It's a party fighter with cartoon violence tho...no one's ripping out anyone's spine or getting their face smashed in or anything I really don't think it's a big deal. Just give her some cute cartoony facial expressions for when she gets hit it'll be fine lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Didn't Villager do something similar in Brawl, on Smashville?
Nope. None of the onlookers react to the fight being right in front of them. Only what happens in regards to the player they happen to be supporting.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
true but all the characters have this weirdly dark yet bright and saturated look. the lighter, slightly washed out smash 4 has is just so much nicer to look at imo. Characters like mario and bowser in melee make me wanna throw up lmao.
I'm really not sure what you expected of the shading engine for an early Gamecube game.

Nielicus

Smash Lord
Not even close.

Luigi is a scardey-cat, but he will jump into the fray when necessary.

Isabelle notably keeps to the side of the battlegrounds as a support instead of getting in the line of fire herself. And even then, she jumps back even further and flinches as if afraid to be hit at all whenever the fight is close to her.
I mean that's the first time she's really been in danger, she's was probably trying to figure out wtf was going on lol! Cut the pupper some slack.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom