• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I need an in-depth explanation for that Crusher.
For the most part, Villager took many moves that could've worked for Nook. Instead, it can end up having him as a clone instead of a flesh out character.

But then again Isabelle took over as the second most popular AC character so Nook's chances are pretty much isn't going to happen

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I don't know why, but I thought the Smash thing at E3 was on a Saturday, but it's on Tuesday... meh.

Also...

I can't stop laughing.

I hope Bayonetta isn't nerfed too hard in Smash Switch...
Just look at how bad Falco is now, poor guy.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I don't know why, but I thought the Smash thing at E3 was on a Saturday, but it's on Tuesday... meh.

Also...

I can't stop laughing.

I feel like Bayonetta is the Britney Spears to my Chris Crocker, because I just want people to leave her alone.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
What do guys think is crucial for this game's competitive success? Smash 4 probably won't last for more than 4 years and still be as competitive as it is now and aside from melee all the other smash games are relatively small and aren't big esports. I just want this game to last a long time but it's hard to think of a way that'd be possible outside of being quite similar to melee or getting big dev support both of which I don't think are likely.
The competitive scene will exist for this game no matter what crazy bs they attempt to add. It may not be as big as 4 but they would have to something incredibly dumb to make people not try to play competitively. It's Smash and thats enough for a lot of people. If they add tripping we will see another divide in the community but people will still play the game competitively.

I SERIOUSLY doubt they will readd tripping though. They know what it would take to harm the competitive scene and they have enough care for their fans to let them be. There is nothing crucial for the competitive success of it. Hopefully the game-play sets itself apart at least somewhat otherwise some more intense players may finally get bored but that is really it.
I feel like Bayonetta is the Britney Spears to my Chris Crocker, because I just want people to leave her alone.
To be fair, she needs some tuning. Gutting her would be moronic but she absolutely needs to be looked at and nerfed in some problem areas. After that though, we can all go back to hating our monkey overlord.

I would really like every character to be about at current Sheik and Diddy's power tbh. If every character was about that good I would love the game infinitely more.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Okay, I think I may be stepping WAY over my comfort zone here and I might get some people upset that I even ask this. But give me the benefit of the doubt here please...

Where did Geno support start? I'm serious here

Ridley and K. Rool I get. There are well established villains of their respective franchises. People have connections to these characters due to their history. But why Geno? If I was an outsider knowing nothing about Nintendo and seeing Smash speculation for the first time, I would've thought he was a main character of a big franchise. Please, help me understand here...
I'm not speaking as a Geno supporter, but I think the thing with Geno is that he came from a really beloved old game, had good characterisation, a distinct design unlike any other Mario character of the time (being a doll brought to life with weapons), and plenty of awesome attacks. I can imagine how someone who loved Super Mario RPG would think "I loved Geno in Super Mario RPG! I want to see him in Smash Bros!" That would probably get people interested, and anyone else who played SMRPG would remember him too, thus a fanbase emerges.

I know I'm speaking happy-idealism, but that's probably how Geno became a popular fan pick. He was a beloved character, had a cool design, and plenty of moveset potential that could be translated into something like Smash Bros.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Okay, I think I may be stepping WAY over my comfort zone here and I might get some people upset that I even ask this. But give me the benefit of the doubt here please...

Where did Geno support start? I'm serious here

Ridley and K. Rool I get. There are well established villains of their respective franchises. People have connections to these characters due to their history. But why Geno? If I was an outsider knowing nothing about Nintendo and seeing Smash speculation for the first time, I would've thought he was a main character of a big franchise. Please, help me understand here...
If I had to take a guess it's so we could have the Mario RPGs represented, as he's from Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Plus the fact Sakurai has actually considered him not once, but twice.

Ultimately though Geno <<<<<<<<<< Paper Mario

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ

Also...

I can't stop laughing.

Sooooo Pac-Man’s grab has the functionality of an Arcade skill crane but Bayo can do this?

...Nah, give her the Dedede treatment rofl

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
I want De3 to be good sooo bad but they throttled him after brawl, then kept nerfing him T_T
I honestly have no idea what the balance team was thinking with King Dedede in Smash 4. Like, he was garbage at launch, and they literally did nothing but nerf the guy.

Smash 4 did King Dedede and Jigglypuff dirty. They better get a ton of buffs this time around.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I honestly have no idea what the balance team was thinking with King Dedede in Smash 4. Like, he was garbage at launch, and they literally did nothing but nerf the guy.

Smash 4 did King Dedede and Jigglypuff dirty. They better get a ton of buffs this time around.
The ONLY thing I'm hoping is that they keep Gordo Toss.

That's some fun **** right there.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
"Death to all who oppose me... Chaos! Blast!"

Honestly one of my top favorite Sonic series characters. Rouge and Metal Sonic are the others. His game honestly made him so much more endearing characterization-wise to me. Felt way more fleshed out than simply a dark backstory. In Adventure 2, he was pretty much edgy too. Heroes was just... overly dramatic due to the game's own tone of severely high amounts of cheese. Shadow still has cheese too, but it did more for his character, including giving him tons of unique stuff to really separate him from Sonic. 06 kept it going further. It's just too bad that 06 was the last game for his playable appearances where he wasn't a clone.

Regardless, I wish we had some Shadow music in Smash. He has lots of great ones.
Supporting me is honestly one of the best video game boss music of all time

dont @ me

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I'm still holding out hope for more Yoshi representation.

Like not even more characters like Kamek or Baby Mario. The series has plenty of things that can be made as trophies and such, yet why is it the only trophies we get are character trophies and a Fly Guy? Not even mentioning the fact the babies are categorized within the Mario series despite being Yoshi characters at heart.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433

Like not even more characters like Kamek or Baby Mario. The series has plenty of things that can be made as trophies and such, yet why is it the only trophies we get are character trophies and a Fly Guy? Not even mentioning the fact the babies are categorized within the Mario series despite being Yoshi characters at heart.
Absolutely this. There are so many good characters that could be trophies or ATs. Burt the Bashful, Naval Piranha, Fuzzies, Raphael the Raven, Goonies etc. I dunno, it's just one of those really unrepped series' like Donkey Kong.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Absolutely this. There are so many good characters that could be trophies or ATs. Burt the Bashful, Naval Piranha, Fuzzies, Raphael the Raven, Goonies etc. I dunno, it's just one of those really unrepped series' like Donkey Kong.
I love both of you right now...

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
This is one of the greatest Smashboards posts I have read in my time of participating in Smash Switch speculation. Bravo to you. :kirby:
I want to frame this lol. Beautiful post
Aw shunks. >///<

I see what you're saying. I honestly think we're essentially in agreement.

While I definitely failed to properly articulate what I was thinking, I do agree with you on what you're saying. You don't need to start with an archetype so much as you need to have a glue that keeps the character true to themselves, which is what I was meaning to say.

The big takeaway from me is that a character's moves need to be pieces to a puzzle instead of being just randomly tacked on for the sake of references.
Yeah I've been thinking we're mostly in agreement, just not on some more specific nuances and phrasing.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Also...

I can't stop laughing.

She needs a moveset nerf, but nothing as bad a Meta Knight (the witch still needs to be viable and less evil)...also they better leave that Bayo booty alone cause that can never be nerfed

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
honestly isabelle has a higher chance than mimikyu. i rather see her playable than see the ghost/fairy type.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I don't think the developers ever intended for Yoshi and Birdo to be connected when they were first created. Hell, Birdo didn't even debut in a Mario game!!!
On that note, however, Waluigi first appeared in a sports spin-off game and one of the main characterizations they gave him was an affinity for Bob-Ombs.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Obviously Waluigi and Birdo are going to get in as a tag team character to represent their own franchise

What franchise you ask? I have no idea

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
On that note, however, Waluigi first appeared in a sports spin-off game and one of the main characterizations they gave him was an affinity for Bob-Ombs.
And Piranha Plants, if Mario Party 3 is taken into consideration. And construction equipment. And killer dance moves. And agrokinesis. A lot of games can provide some pretty deep moveset potential.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Mario or Yoshi series, I'm down for Birdo.

I don't think the developers ever intended for Yoshi and Birdo to be connected when they were first created. Hell, Birdo didn't even debut in a Mario game!!!
There's also the fact to consider that Birdo was created before Yoshi.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZAHÍRITΣiΚΛ

Unguided Rainbow
Switch FC
SW-7955-8996-6175
I get the strangest feeling... that Goku might actually be in this one and i don't know how to feel about that.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Ironically Birdo's appeared in more Wario titles than Waluigi if we count a Wario title as simply having Wario in the name;

Okay, technically Toad is the star but it's called "Wario's Woods" as he's the antagonist.

ZAHÍRITΣiΚΛ

Unguided Rainbow
Switch FC
SW-7955-8996-6175
No Im serious, like Smash 4 kinda just went all out wirh 3rd parties and then Funimation straight up wants him in, Toei, and Namco probably do too... dark times might be ahead.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I'd love it if at E3 they announced that Goku would be joining, just by name, and then show a trailer with that clarifies that it's actually the monkey king.
I just wouldn't want anyone important to be on stage at the time.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
No Im serious, like Smash 4 kinda just went all out wirh 3rd parties and then Funimation straight up wants him in, Toei, and Namco probably do too... dark times might be ahead.
I highly doubt that'll actually happen. Besides, we all know that companies cannot push Sakurai to include their characters. If they get included, Sakurai wanted them in. I'm pretty certain he'll limit the characters to atleast video game (or in R.O.B.'s case, video game-related) originals. There's likely a zero percent chance, if not less than zero percent, that Goku of Dragon Ball could actually make it in.

I'd love it if at E3 they announced that Goku would be joining, just by name, and then show a trailer with that clarifies that it's actually the monkey king.
I just wouldn't want anyone important to be on stage at the time.
I believe it'll be a digital presentation as they have been doing these last few years, so no chance of thrown tomatoes. I feel they've truly been benefiting from such an unusual decision. There's also not much concern for live-action hiccups. (See Skyward Sword gameplay reveal).

Edit: Another thing to note, it was Funimation that wanted Goku in. You know, the group that translates and dubs Japanese media into English? They have literally no shove in that area, other than probably supplying Sean Shemmel with the English voice role. However, as many of us already know, Sean already voices Lucario is Sm4sh, so Nintendo definitely does not need Funimation for... anything, really.

Besides, they stated this after Smash Bros was revealed in the March Direct. Remember that the project plan for the game, which includes the entirety of the desired roster, was finished around 2 years ago. Dragon Ball's Goku has no real place here. And even if he had, Goku himself would be the least of our worries...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom