• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Never, ever, EVER, say a character is guaranteed to be in without any clear cut sources outright claiming they're in. Just because you think a character is likely, or has potential, or think you can read Sakurai's mind, it doesn't mean whatever character you're advocating for is a "shoo in".

As someone that was, unfortunately, deluded enough to believe Ridley was gonna be playable last game no matter what, let me tell you; it's one thing to feel sad about your character not getting in, but it's infinitely more harrowing to realize that after zealously defending said character to the bitter end, your efforts were completely worthless, you'l be (understandably) mocked for it, and you'll feel like an utter dolt.

Don't fall for the same trap I fell for 4 years ago. That's all I'm saying.
Late response but this statement is quite true. It also sounds just like the stuff the Dean of Academics of my old high school always said: "If you fail to complete your Christian service, you won't get your diploma. Don't. Be. That. Guy."

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
If we're seriously talking about Goku in Smash again, we're really in dire need of E3.

That being said, deep down I really want some form of Dungeons and Dragons representation in Smash Bros so I can't criticise too much. Best chances (I'm fully aware I'm comparing a group of characters with 0% chance) would be Drizzt Do'Urden or The Nameless One, who has the advantage of being a video game character in Planescape Torment, though non-Nintendo release kicks that bit into the dirt. I'm not seriously supporting this happening, hell I don't play with the official D&D settings and characters myself, but since a lot of people likely have that one random game that makes them think "wouldn't it be nice to see this stuff in Smash?" I'm saying D&D is mine.

More Xenoblade and Pokémon will keep me happy in this game anyway.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
She needs a moveset nerf, but nothing as bad a Meta Knight (the witch still needs to be viable and less evil)...also they better leave that Bayo booty alone cause that can never be nerfed
One doesn't get rid of the Bayo Booty. It and ZSS candy are just as good as shirtless Shulk and Falcon's clothes somehow getting tighter each game (like the dude's bulge is so noticeable lol). Next we'll get Shirtless Mario and Shirtless Link. Ganondorf will then be given tighter clothes. It's all so fun.

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
Drizzt Do'Urden is the most popular canonically recognized fan OC...
Yeah, as if there weren't enough death knells the best character they could add is a licensing nightmare. I'm under no illusions of thinking it'll ever happen at all, and I'm not even really supporting it. I was just throwing out wild ideas based on premise alone, probably shouldn't have said anything but I thought getting my stupid pipe dream out in the wild would be okay. I might post it in the unpopular opinions thread.

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
If we're seriously talking about Goku in Smash again, we're really in dire need of E3.

That being said, deep down I really want some form of Dungeons and Dragons representation in Smash Bros so I can't criticise too much. Best chances (I'm fully aware I'm comparing a group of characters with 0% chance) would be Drizzt Do'Urden or The Nameless One, who has the advantage of being a video game character in Planescape Torment, though non-Nintendo release kicks that bit into the dirt. I'm not seriously supporting this happening, hell I don't play with the official D&D settings and characters myself, but since a lot of people likely have that one random game that makes them think "wouldn't it be nice to see this stuff in Smash?" I'm saying D&D is mine.

More Xenoblade and Pokémon will keep me happy in this game anyway.
Oh HELL yes!

Nine Hells stage! Owlbear Assist Trophy! Beholder boss fight! D20's as items that have a 1/20 chance in doubling the knockback you deal or the knockback you take!

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Okay, I think I may be stepping WAY over my comfort zone here and I might get some people upset that I even ask this. But give me the benefit of the doubt here please...

Where did Geno support start? I'm serious here

Ridley and K. Rool I get. There are well established villains of their respective franchises. People have connections to these characters due to their history. But why Geno? If I was an outsider knowing nothing about Nintendo and seeing Smash speculation for the first time, I would've thought he was a main character of a big franchise. Please, help me understand here...
On top of what others have said, it's important to note that Geno's support was at its absolutely craziest height during Brawl speculation, and a lot of people who participated in that were people who grew up with the SNES. Geno has not had anywhere near the same popularity since as the Nintendo community is now primarily made up of people from the N64/Gamecube generations, but back then he really struck a nostalgic cord with a significant portion of the community.

I get the strangest feeling... that Goku might actually be in this one and i don't know how to feel about that.
As much as people just brush it off and don't want to talk about it, I actually think it's something that's worth discussing.

You know the silent majority? That part of the fanbase that Sakurai so often refers to, and the people who practically won the ballot with Bayonetta? Goku is their absolute #1 pick for Smash and has been since Sonic got in, and before then he was their #2. I'm like 90% sure that Goku was the true winner of the ballot, and he probably won by a landslide too, but obviously he wasn't a feasile option. He might eventually be though, maybe not for Smash 5, but eventually Smash will come to a point where it can no longer rely even on 3rd party characters to carry the hype, and they'll have to break the emergency glass. Goku is also the only character who would ever come close to Sonic in terms of hype, I don't think he'd outdo him, but he would be up there.

I'm not sure it'll ever happen as long as Sakurai has the reins as he's a video game fanatic out of the ordinary, for him Smash is like a video game museum, but once he eventually gives someone else a jab at directing a Smash game I think it should be treated as a serious possibility. It's not even that I want him, despite loving DBZ I think his inclusion would open up a lot of negative possibilities and hurt Smash in the long run, but I also think it's ignorant to just completely brush the prospect off as absolutely impossible. Even with Sakurai there's still an ever so slight chance that it could happen, just based on demand alone.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Not gonna happen.

Isabelle is coming.

She's the biggest thing since sliced bread that's not a Squid Kid.
Maybe. I just don't see what's so especial about her. Sure she's cute and all of that, but I don't see the big deal on her. I guess I just feel indiferent towards her.

D

Deleted member

To all Resetti fans, I think Isabelle is more likely than him.
Resetti is known to yell at you and do some stuff ( IDK ), but I feel like Isabelle is more important of a character ( helps you with mayor stuff, etc. ).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Legit talk but the aforementioned "silent majority" talk is exactly why I cannot take any of this Smash speculation seriously.

People think they know what everyone wants just because of a small faction of fanboys posting on an English speaking board about Super Smash Bros. This is all while ignoring pretty much everything else, because their closed off mentality prevents them from taking into consideration that there are people outside of that extremely specific demographic. Which is a major contribution to why Smash fans have a habit of being wrong about a lot of stuff.

Super Smash Bros. is a game meant to cater to everyone. If it only focused on catering to the Smash fans that only play 1 vs. 1 with no items on Battlefield using the space furries, obviously the overall quality would suffer.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Legit talk but the aforementioned "silent majority" talk is exactly why I cannot take any of this Smash speculation seriously.

People think they know what everyone wants just because of a small faction of fanboys posting on an English speaking board about Super Smash Bros. This is all while ignoring pretty much everything else, because their closed off mentality prevents them from taking into consideration that there are people outside of that extremely specific demographic. Which is a major contribution to why Smash fans have a habit of being wrong about a lot of stuff.

Super Smash Bros. is a game meant to cater to everyone. If it only focused on catering to the Smash fans that only play 1 vs. 1 with no items on Battlefield using the space furries, obviously the overall quality would suffer.
And this is why, as strange as it might sound, I don't want the ballot to be the sole inspiration for the newcomers. I'm fine with a few, but I don't want Sakurai to resort to basically going down a checklist and adding every single fanservice character he can think of. I like a little variety in the roster, and sometimes (not always) Sakurai can give us characters we never even knew we wanted.

Also, Ridley likely flopped in the ballot no thanks to Sakurai's comment. Another reason why I wouldn't want Sakurai to go off the ballot. :p

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I just want to say that Bayonetta wasn't a part of any "silent majority." Her fans were very vocal about wanting her in Smash.

I didn't even know Bayonetta existed until the Smash community rought her up for the thousandth time and I finally looked her up.

I have no clue where the idea that Bayo had sone super secretive fanbase preballot because it just isn't true.

Please don't put Goku in Smash. I love Dragon Ball but please....this would in theory open the door for Fairy Tail characters and Naruto characters to get in and thats not a world i wanna live in.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I unironically think that the "feasible Characters" that was said for Bayonetta was because Goku won. Legit.

The silent Majority is also the one who wanted Cloud, Ryu, Pac-man and now want Sora in Smash.

That's why I never listen to Smash speculation. It's the biggest Resonance box ever, always forgetting that the silent people are the majority.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
And this is why, as strange as it might sound, I don't want the ballot to be the sole inspiration for the newcomers. I'm fine with a few, but I don't want Sakurai to resort to basically going down a checklist and adding every single fanservice character he can think of. I like a little variety in the roster, and sometimes (not always) Sakurai can give us characters we never even knew we wanted.

Also, Ridley likely flopped in the ballot no thanks to Sakurai's comment. Another reason why I wouldn't want Sakurai to go off the ballot. :p
Concerning the ballot and Ridley, if Sakurai decides to go full ballot for inspiration (which I find very unlikely. I doubt he'll pull more than two characters from it) we don't have to worry about Ridley not being voted because Sakurai is already clear on his fan demand. It'll all boil down to his feasibility as a fighter.

I would be super pissed if Sakurai went off the ballot, didn't add Ridley, and went oh wait... You guys like that pterodactyl? Lol

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Would Ridley really have a lot of ballot votes then?

Cause with Smash 4's situation, I doubt he would've had many votes. Also, I doubt he's extremely popular outside of internet message forums. Ridley's popularity mostly came from the Melee intro video, where people thought he was in Smash and thus began to want him in there. I doubt he would've ever been a very seriously requested character otherwise.

Ballot characters should be sort of expected anyway. Melee also had a sort of ballot or at least had fans vote for which characters they wanted. Bowser, Peach, Mewtwo and Marth where all very popular requests, and thus made it in. Yeah they are hugely popular characters on their own, but still... Worthy to consider.

Personally I wouldn't dare guess which characters did extremely well on the ballot, I just hope King K.Rool is one of them, and with the Mii costume, am pretty sure he is. Not sure if they are gonna make him playable however.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Right, and I agree there's a lot of myopia, but that doesn't preclude valid speculation over individual characters, because not ever roster choice is based around the "silent majority". Sakurai caters to multiple levels of the Smash audience, and, while there's an abundance of over or understating certain facets of some candidates, it's not like the vocal fanbase never gets anything right. Trying to accurately predict the entire roster is obviously futile, but I don't think anyone who creates a speculative roster ever believes they'll actually replicate the real one flawlessly.

This is all horseshoes; it's just about how close we can get. I mean if everyone is so misguided... why be here?

None of the polls have ever been sole inspiration for the roster, and this one won't either. Sakurai clearly enjoys diverting fan expectations, and that can't happen if you're only going to choose the characters the fans always go on about.

Also Ridley probably did well on the ballot, because Sakurai's comments were not nearly as widespread as the ballot itself. I mean we all think everyone knows those statements Sakurai made, but again that's imposing our perspective on a much less invested audience at large, who aren't going to follow random Sakurai quotes.

I just want to say that Bayonetta wasn't a part of any "silent majority." Her fans were very vocal about wanting her in Smash.

I didn't even know Bayonetta existed until the Smash community rought her up for the thousandth time and I finally looked her up.

I have no clue where the idea that Bayo had sone super secretive fanbase preballot because it just isn't true.

Please don't put Goku in Smash. I love Dragon Ball but please....this would in theory open the door for Fairy Tail characters and Naruto characters to get in and thats not a world i wanna live in.
Well she was part of the silent majority concerning the ballot, because the vocal fanbase and all their unofficial polling only had her maybe on the outskirts of the Top 10. Now, the silent majority at large? Probably not so much, but the ballot didn't register with most of them anyway.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Do people really think, besides Goku, non-video game characters triumphed over video game characters in the ballot? I can totally see Goku because not only would he have meme/troll votes but he'd also have legitimate fans and is popular world wide. But Shrek? I really feel like people overstate troll and meme votes...but maybe I'm wrong and we will probably never know :/

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
I feel like the path that smash boards goes down with prediction is why we're usually so far off base. Smash boards has this nasty habit of looking for patterns and making up rules that correlate with the patterns it finds.

Pokemon/Fire emblem is destined to always be treated this way because people dont know how else to guess. People will continue to be wrong about these franchises I'm sure. To be fair tho, how else would you guess without any inside info?

Another problem is seeing the roster with reps on the mind. Instead of filling out the roster with sakurai's mindset where gameplay comes first, this place is concerned with adding every side character and villain from franchises that are already appearing just because.

I dunno. This place is by far the minority. Sometimes it becomes difficult to remember that. For every 1 wish for ridley, minecraft Steve probably got 5. Thinking like that gives you a better picture of what we're looking at

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I dunno. This place is by far the minority. Sometimes it becomes difficult to remember that. For every 1 wish for ridley, minecraft Steve probably got 5. Thinking like that gives you a better picture of what we're looking at
Honestly, just about any popular third-party character would appeal to the silent majority more than what's left from Nintendo. We've been requesting fan-favorites like Bandana Dee and K. Rool for years, but everyone else would probably look at those two and say, "Cool. Who are these guys and why should I care about them?" When you look at it from that angle, the weird characters that we continually dismiss, like Steve and Goku, might actually bring more hype than the guys we've rallied behind since the very beginning.

Smash is heading into strange territory.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Honestly, just about any popular third-party character would appeal to the silent majority more than what's left from Nintendo. We've been requesting fan-favorites like Bandana Dee and K. Rool for years, but everyone else would probably look at those two and say, "Cool. Who are these guys and why should I care about them?" When you look at it from that angle, the weird characters that we continually dismiss, like Steve and Goku, might actually bring more hype than the guys we've rallied behind since the very beginning.

Yes and I don't like this terrirory. Smash 4 only highlighed it more with additions as Mega Man, Bayonetta and Cloud.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Do people really think, besides Goku, non-video game characters triumphed over video game characters in the ballot? I can totally see Goku because not only would he have meme/troll votes but he'd also have legitimate fans and is popular world wide. But Shrek? I really feel like people overstate troll and meme votes...but maybe I'm wrong and we will probably never know :/
I don't think someone like Shrek did as overwhelmingly well as people suggest, places like 4chan and Reddit where the meme was strongest are still a minority, and in general I don't think a character who's being pushed solely as a joke will ever be able to compete with characters that people genuinely want as you can only spread a joke so far. I'd be surprised if he cracked the top 10.

I do think Goku is the outlier, he manages to appeal to so many different demographics because of how relevant DBZ has kept itself both in and outside the video game world for many decades, and he's also the face of an entirely different media in the form of anime. His popularity is also colossal both in the west and Japan, which isn't something most other non-video game characters can say, they tend to lean heavily one way or the other.

Last edited:

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255

I think it's that, and people getting older. The old guard is asking for the same characters they've been asking for years. Kids now a days probably have no clue who k rool or geno even are.

It's kinda like when you sit your son/daughter/nephew/niece/cat down and explain to them why rugrats was an absolute banger, and they say "cool, can we watch teen titans go now?"

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Ok so what if Goku was announced for Smash 5, but Sakurai promised this was the only time non video game characters were getting in, due to Goku's hypothetically high amount of votes in the ballot. Would we still be upset at that. This is also considering Sakurai actually keeps his promise.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Ok so what if Goku was announced for Smash 5, but Sakurai promised this was the only time non video game characters were getting in, due to Goku's hypothetically high amount of votes in the ballot. Would we still be upset at that. This is also considering Sakurai actually keeps his promise.
Only if the Trailer is Goku vs Falcon and Ryu

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Honestly, if I was Sakurai and I'd have to choose one exception to the "no non-video game characters" rule, it'd definitely be Goku.

Dragon Ball, whether you like the franchise or not, is just stupidly iconic. Many people grew up watching it, were introduced to anime thank to it and other things like that. It's also managed to pass the test of time really well, being around 30 years old and still remaining both beloved and relevant to this day. Not to mention the buttload of video games it's been getting over the years, so he can also appeal to gamers.

He's definitely earned the right to be the exception. The question is whether or not Sakurai will actually do it.

But the reaction? I'd say a mix of overwhelming hype (think Snake or Cloud, but even more than those) and some high amount of sodium from fans of other well-known anime like Naruto.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think it's that, and people getting older. The old guard is asking for the same characters they've been asking for years. Kids now a days probably have no clue who k rool or geno even are.

It's kinda like when you sit your son/daughter/nephew/niece/cat down and explain to them why rugrats was an absolute banger, and they say "cool, can we watch teen titans go now?"
I think it's really hard to satisfy fans anymore. One side wants to see characters they've been supporting for years and one side wants to get characters from contemporary games they play.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Goku is only a weeb's most logical ''No non video game characters" rule breaker. Sure, he's beloved and liked a lot, buttttttt....

Mickey Mouse honestly makes more sense. He practically invented the cartoon mascot, has many video games to pull a moveset from, iconic to just about everyone worldwide.

Though if you wanna get obscure and surprise people?

Popeye.

Dude's history with Nintendo pretty much lead to the creation of Mario.

But Goku would only please anime fans. And not everyone watches anime, believe it or not. That's part of why despite his iconic nature? He's so divisive.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Goku is only a weeb's most logical ''No non video game characters" rule breaker. Sure, he's beloved and liked a lot, buttttttt....

Mickey Mouse honestly makes more sense. He practically invented the cartoon mascot, has many video games to pull a moveset from, iconic to just about everyone worldwide.

Popeye.

But Goku would only please anime fans. And not everyone watches anime, believe it or not. That's part of why despite his iconic nature? He's so divisive.
Darth Vader is also bigger than Goku.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Darth Vader is also bigger than Goku.
Ehhhhhh. There's something to be said about that not everyone has seen Star Wars either though. There's cases of people who prefer Star Trek and just refuse to touch it. People who don't really **** with science fiction in general, etc, etc.

He's certainly a very iconic film character, but he's not one that would appease EVERYONE.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255

Popeye.

I don't agree. You don't have to be a weeb or even watch anime to understand that goku is one of the most iconic characters of all time.

I do however agree that mickey is on that level and probably beyond. Out of the two tho, goku is far more likely than mickey I'd say.

?????????????

Smash Master

Popeye.

For what it's worth, Super Smash Bros. is a Japanese video game, and literally all cartoons created in Japan are anime.

So there's that.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Ehhhhhh. There's something to be said about that not everyone has seen Star Wars either though. There's cases of people who prefer Star Trek and just refuse to touch it. People who don't really **** with science fiction in general, etc, etc.

He's certainly a very iconic film character, but he's not one that would appease EVERYONE.

Popeye.

I have yet to see someone in my life, from at least two generation behind me who can't recognize ****ing Darth Vader, Mickey and Goku too.
America is a weird place because they got the Dragon Ball craze VEEEERRRYY Late compared to EVERYWHERE in the world. My damn Grandfather know ****ing Goku because the Original Series passed on TV in the 80', and he can recognize Vader or Mickey...

Really, like Blue said before...You don't realize the cultural Impact that Vader had, or that Goku had, or that Mickey had.
No need to be a Weeb or Science fiction fan to recognize pop-culture and their impacts.
Also worth nothing to say, but if Bandai Namco managed to go through the licencing nightmare of Vader and Yoda for Soul Calibur, I'm sure Nintendo could do so too.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think I realize the culture impact of Vader or Goku.

I'm saying however. There would be far far far more people saying they don't belong.

Than saying Mickey would not belong.

Mickey is responsible for the ''mascot" character craze that Mario, Sonic, Pac Man...

And even to a degree Goku himself fills for anime.

There are parks world wide where Mickey is celebrated, etc, etc.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Popeye.

There are definitely a lot of characters who are more well known and famous than Goku, but as far as wanted for Smash? I don't think even amongst the silent majority Mickey Mouse or Popeye are hot stuff, they're not characters who people think of for a fighting game, and although they're well known the masses very few would pick them amongst their favorite fictional characters. I think Goku's sheer popularity in relation to Smash would get him picked first, not to mention he'd be among the easiest to attain the rights for, after that any other non-video game character would probably have to go through the regular checks.

Also, I don't think Nintendo cares at all about the stigma that might be surrounding anime in the west, with time that prejudice surrounding it is only getting smaller anyways.

Last edited:

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
The thing with goku is, he could absolutely happen.

The fans want him, he's popular and relevant, bandai namco owns the rights to his video game adoptions and is also working on smash again, funimation has been asking for him, and assuming lucario returns and retains his English VA he could also voice goku as its the same VA.

The one thing that would hold him back is his stance on characters not originating from videogames. I doubt this is an issue tho, seeing as he tried for james bond in 64, and has been known to change his mind on subjects. If goku doesn't make base roster, I think he'd be a strong candidate for dlc.

I only wonder if these boards are prepared for the meltdowns that would come with it.

?????????????

Smash Master
I tend to agree that Goku is the most likely choice for the first character to make it to Smash Bros. that did not originate from a video game.

However, if it were up to me...I would want Smash Bros. to stay as a series for characters originating for video games. At least, that's how I feel right now.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I doubt this is an issue tho, seeing as he tried for james bond in 64
Who also didn't make it in because Sakurai noted how much of a licensing nightmare he would be. Besides, the Mii Fighters exists to fulfill requests like Goku.

And despite Sakurai having been known to change his mind on stuff, his opinion on Goku has been consistent from Brawl (where he statedno manga characters were to appear) to Smash 4 (where he stated in an interview that the Mii Fighters exists for characters like Goku and Spongebob). There is no reason to assume he will change his mind now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom