• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Goku is only a weeb's most logical ''No non video game characters" rule breaker. Sure, he's beloved and liked a lot, buttttttt....

Mickey Mouse honestly makes more sense. He practically invented the cartoon mascot, has many video games to pull a moveset from, iconic to just about everyone worldwide.

Though if you wanna get obscure and surprise people?

Popeye.

Dude's history with Nintendo pretty much lead to the creation of Mario.

But Goku would only please anime fans. And not everyone watches anime, believe it or not. That's part of why despite his iconic nature? He's so divisive.
Idk about that, Goku is pretty much an icon. Like a lot of people aren't anime fans but they are dragonball fans. He's pretty universally known from what I've seen

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Ok no.
The only thing I hear is people sarcastically saying they want him, Goku is like Shrek, just a meme, almost nobody really wants him in smash.
I wish I was joking by saying that there is actually a part of "mainstream" people who want him without joking.
If people wouldn't want him, Sakurai himself wouldn't have talked about the matter using GOKU as an exemple.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
*Logs on to Smashboards*

*Sees people talking about Goku, Mickey Mouse, Homer Simpson, Shrek, and Popeye in Smash."

*Logs out*

No, but really, good morning everyone. 19 more days.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
So is Homer Simpson, Spongebob and Shrek.
If Goku makes it in, they might as well go completely crazy and add in all of those characters plus an Smash OC, the Eiffel Tower and a literal disco ball. Because they all make as much sense as Goku.:troll:

Zeox

Smash Champion
I wish I was joking by saying that there is actually a part of "mainstream" people who want him without joking.
If people wouldn't want him, Sakurai himself wouldn't have talked about the matter using GOKU as an exemple.
I like a lot dragon ball but for the love of god I don't want him in smash, that would only open a can of worms.
Imagine these forums full of threads of people saying that they want Naruto, Luffy, Jotaro, and every single anime character...
**** this could end in Pepsiman in smash, do you guys want that? do you want smash characters to be chaos?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I think I realize the culture impact of Vader or Goku.

I'm saying however. There would be far far far more people saying they don't belong.

Than saying Mickey would not belong.

Mickey is responsible for the ''mascot" character craze that Mario, Sonic, Pac Man...

And even to a degree Goku himself fills for anime.

There are parks world wide where Mickey is celebrated, etc, etc.
Mmm gotta disagree here. Mickey is recognized world wide sure, but not as a fighter. Goku on the other hand is a fighter, has prominent fighting videogames and his highly requested for Smash. I'm not even trying to say one is more likely than the other, but there would defintely be more shock and confusion over Mickey. Unless he came due to Sora or something.

I would defintely for one be shocked about Mickey, and on the other hand Goku wouldn't shock me as much as Sakurai opening the gates to non-video game characters would.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Smash is supposed to be a celebration of nintendo games and franchises, with some special thirdparty characters that are invited to join, usually having some conexion with Nintendo.
Open the gates of hell and you would end with Fred Flinstone fighting against Dio Brando in the stage "Jurassic Park".

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Ok no.
The only thing I hear is people sarcastically saying they want him, Goku is like Shrek, just a meme, almost nobody really wants him in smash.
Says who? This board? Go ask some gamers on the street if they think goku in smash would be a cool idea. Dont ask your friends, ask random gamers. You'll hear more yes than no.
Who also didn't make it in because Sakurai noted how much of a licensing nightmare he would be. Besides, the Mii Fighters exists to fulfill requests like Goku.

And despite Sakurai having been known to change his mind on stuff, his opinion on Goku has been consistent from Brawl (where he statedno manga characters were to appear) to Smash 4 (where he stated in an interview that the Mii Fighters exists for characters like Goku and Spongebob). There is no reason to assume he will change his mind now.
I do think that licensing is what really kept bond back, and can definitely see why it would leave a sour taste in his mouth. But do you really think licensing would be a problem for goku? The company that has the rights to all of his game adaptions co-develops smash. There's also the ballot that we all know goku won without really knowing lol.

I dunno man. I'm not saying goku is even someone I want in either, but it would be foolish to think he has no chance. He has everything he needs except the go ahead from sakurai, and that might change seeing as how the ballot probably went.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Smash is supposed to be a celebration of nintendo games and franchises, with some special thirdparty characters that are invited to join, usually having some conexion with Nintendo.
Open the gates of hell and you would end with Fred Flinstone fighting against Dio Brando in the stage "Jurassic Park".
I know it's a joke but still I wonder who in thw world can have all these three's rights.

...I mean, nobody has yet... right?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
That doesn’t sound so bad tbh, but it’s better to leave Smash as a Nintendo + friends celebrations

ThatGuyWhoKnowsNothing

Smash Apprentice
so, in order to change the topic (because the idea of goku in smash is physically painful) if smash 5 was as fast paced as melee, how well do you think melee players would transition? would people stick with melee or all swap to 5?

Quick amendment, Goku in smash just feels wrong, I don't have a terribly good reason that I don't want Goku otherwise

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
so, in order to change the topic (because the idea of goku in smash is physically painful) if smash 5 was as fast paced as melee, how well do you think melee players would transition? would people stick with melee or all swap to 5?
They would stick with Melee, since new game wouldn't have as much bugs- sorry, tecniques as Melee.

?????????????

Smash Master
No, Melee is a holy and sacred artifact that can never be usurped.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Melee wouldn't move over even if you gave them melee hd on switch. There isn't a smash game that could come out that everyone would prefer.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I remember making a hypothetical Smash Flash Roster with a mix of what would make sense and what really wouldn't just for fun. This is how it went roughly.

Regular Characters
  • Mario
  • Donkey Kong
  • Link
  • Samus
  • Yoshi
  • Kirby
  • Fox
  • Pikachu
  • Luigi
  • Falcon
  • Ness
  • Jigglypuff
  • Bowser
  • Peach
  • Zelda/Sheik
  • Ganondorf (unlockable)
  • Mewtwo (unlockable)
  • Wario
  • meta Knight
  • Dedede
  • Diddy Kong
  • Sonic
  • Tails
  • Mega Man
  • Bomberman
  • Black Mage
  • Sora
  • Simon Belmont (unlockable)
  • Geno (unlockable)
And all these weird characters
  • Goku
  • Naruto
  • Ichigo
  • Luffy
  • Sailor Moon (unlockable)
  • Mr. Incredibles (unlockable)
  • Shrek (unlockable)
  • Gaston (unlockable)
  • Elsa (unlockable)
  • Coldsteel the Hedgehog (unlockable)
  • Shaquille O' Neal (unlockable)
  • Mr. Freeze (unlockable)
  • Ewok (unlockable)
  • Cory Baxter (unlockable)
  • The Eiffel Tower (unlockable)
  • Navy Blue Jukebox (unlockable)
  • Star Wars Boxset (unlockable)
  • Buzz Lightyear (unlockable)
  • Carpenter Mario (unlockable)
  • Red Mega Man (unlockable)
  • Toon Ridley (unlockable)

The company that has the rights to all of his game adaptions co-develops smash.
Nope, the video game rights are still shared between Toei Animation and Funimation as well as Shueisha.

Last edited by a moderator:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I remember making a hypothetical Smash Flash Roster with a mix of what would make sense and what really wouldn't just for fun. This is how it went roughly.

Regular Characters
  • Mario
  • Donkey Kong
  • Link
  • Samus
  • Yoshi
  • Kirby
  • Fox
  • Pikachu
  • Luigi
  • Falcon
  • Ness
  • Jigglypuff
  • Bowser
  • Peach
  • Zelda/Sheik
  • Ganondorf (unlockable)
  • Mewtwo (unlockable)
  • Wario
  • meta Knight
  • Dedede
  • Diddy Kong
  • Sonic
  • Tails
  • Mega Man
  • Bomberman
  • Black Mage
  • Sora
  • Simon Belmont (unlockable)
  • Geno (unlockable)
And all these weird characters
  • Goku
  • Naruto
  • Ichigo
  • Luffy
  • Sailor Moon (unlockable)
  • Mr. Incredibles (unlockable)
  • Shrek (unlockable)
  • Gaston (unlockable)
  • Elsa (unlockable)
  • Coldsteel the Hedgehog (unlockable)
  • Shaquille O' Neal (unlockable)
  • Mr. Freeze (unlockable)
  • Ewok (unlockable)
  • Cory Baxter (unlockable)
  • The Eiffel Tower (unlockable)
  • Navy Blue Jukebox (unlockable)
  • Star Wars Boxset (unlockable)
  • Buzz Lightyear (unlockable)
  • Carpenter Mario (unlockable)
  • Red Mega Man (unlockable)
  • Toon Ridley (unlockable)
What the **** is Toon Ridley??? Lol

Last edited:

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
I had a crazy dream tonight

We were at the e3 direct and the first newcomer was Ridley, from other M, but I was still happy, it felt so real, in gameplay, in the CSS, everything were real I cried of excitement !

The second newcomer were Simon (leak confirmed in my dream) and the third were a random FE character that I'm sure doesn't really exists.

And finally the game names ends up being (wait for this one):

Super Smash Bros Iron Ice Breaking

(Like WTH?)

I tell all my friend about that and go on youtube to see Etika's reaction to Ridley, I was not disapointed

Then I wake up (but still in my dream) and realize it's a dream so I decide to post all this to you on this thread only to wake up in reality this time (Inception style) lmfao

So here we are, writing this story again, but in the real world

So yeah...

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
I had a crazy dream tonight

We were at the e3 direct and the first newcomer was Ridley, from other M, but I was still happy, it felt so real, in gameplay, in the CSS, everything were real I cried of excitement !

The second newcomer were Simon (leak confirmed in my dream) and the third were a random FE character that I'm sure doesn't really exists.

And finally the game names ends up being (wait for this one):

Super Smash Bros Iron Ice Breaking

(Like WTH?)

I tell all my friend about that and go on youtube to see Etika's reaction to Ridley, I was not disapointed

Then I wake up (but still in my dream) and realize it's a dream so I decide to post all this to you on this thread only to wake up in reality this time (Inception style) lmfao

So here we are, writing this story again, but in the real world

So yeah...
That is a beautiful dream... but...
How do you know this is not still part of your dream and you will wake up again?

Zeox

Smash Champion
Wait, what if for the classic rep of this game, they do something like with ROB and they make the Virtual Boy playable?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
You want Goku? Go play Super Smash Flash 2. Heck, there's a few other characters added like Ichigo and Luffy that you may also enjoy.

He's never coming to Smash as long as the series remains viedo-game oriented, which I'm expecting it will for quite some time.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Late to this: Hypotehtically speaking the effort to bring Goku into Smash would be worth it for Sakurai and Nintendo. People love their DB and any content of it in Smash is bound to attract more buyers. This could open up interest in their own franchises should a DB fan be curious about them.

As for why Sakurai would think of Goku: the ballot, pretty much. No doubt Goku scored high due to memes and actual desire. He's popular in both Japan and in the West, unlike other meme choices like Shrek that are primarily western or Home Depot/Cory in the House that are niche.

At this point DB has cherished games too. Budokai and Tenkaichi are fondly remembered and FighterZ is a hype machine.

(I cannot believe I typed this out so seriously)

However, Dragon Ball has no need for Smash to promote anything. It's a juggernaut of a franchise. Funimation are on board but they're the ones with the less power to pull these strings. The only way it is feasible is if Toei and Shueisha decide to just let Goku in for a reasonable fee and in good nature - which let's face it, isn't going to happen.

Last edited:

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
That is a beautiful dream... but...
How do you know this is not still part of your dream and you will wake up again?
I know this cause everything makes sense and is in 4k
But hey I could just wake up during e3 and realize Smash doesn't exist at all

Anyway i'm super proud of my Smash 5 name prediction

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
As for why Sakurai would think of Goku: the ballot, pretty much. No doubt Goku scored high due to memes and actual desire. He's popular in both Japan and in the West, unlike other meme choices like Shrek that are primarily western or Home Depot/Cory in the House that are niche
Goku's ballot votes won't matter due to the fact the Smash Ballot itself explicitly stated it is only for video game characters, meaning that votes for him would have already been disqualified.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
This is something that was being discussed in the Ridley thread. Thought it might go along with the Simon and ICs rumor. Apparently, Vergeben recently made this statement.

"My sources are different. I can't really get into the other thing I want to say, because it could implicate people, but I even had a third source come to me and tell me about Ridley recently that also pertains to E3. But if I can try to be subtle.... they say he'll have a presence there outside of just being revealed for the game."

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
This is something that was being discussed in the Ridley thread. Thought it might go along with the Simon and ICs rumor. Apparently, Vergeben recently made this statement.

"My sources are different. I can't really get into the other thing I want to say, because it could implicate people, but I even had a third source come to me and tell me about Ridley recently that also pertains to E3. But if I can try to be subtle.... they say he'll have a presence there outside of just being revealed for the game."
Most likely Ridley being revealed for Metroid Prime 4.

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
Goku is only a weeb's most logical ''No non video game characters" rule breaker. Sure, he's beloved and liked a lot, buttttttt....

Mickey Mouse honestly makes more sense. He practically invented the cartoon mascot, has many video games to pull a moveset from, iconic to just about everyone worldwide.

Though if you wanna get obscure and surprise people?

Popeye.

Dude's history with Nintendo pretty much lead to the creation of Mario.

But Goku would only please anime fans. And not everyone watches anime, believe it or not. That's part of why despite his iconic nature? He's so divisive.
I have to disagree. Most people to an extent watched or like dbz in this day and age. I'll say a lot of people watched dbz growing up regardless of liking anime or not. Plus my gumption is people who play smash most likely like anime too, to an extent.

But I rather have Mickey. Can't see Goku working unless Sakurai makes a trailer showing every fighter being scaled up to universal destruction level- power wise to fight him. Power levels are significant in dbz although pointless, so it wouldn't make sense canon wise Goku getting beat up by Mario lol

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
But I rather have Mickey. Can't see Goku working unless Sakurai makes a trailer showing every fighter being scaled up to universal destruction level- power wise to fight him. Power levels are significant in dbz although pointless, so it wouldn't make sense canon wise Goku getting beat up by Mario lol
Don’t bring in this argument. We’ll have to question why anyone else in Jump Super Stars can beat Goku, or why Roshi or Yajirobe can beat Goku in Tenkaichi, or how Phoenix Wright can beat Hulk in MvC3.

It’s a non-issue.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I have to disagree. Most people to an extent watched or like dbz in this day and age. I'll say a lot of people watched dbz growing up regardless of liking anime or not. Plus my gumption is people who play smash most likely like anime too, to an extent.

There are a whole list of reasons to discount Goku but canon power levels are not. In DB games alone you can beat him at full power with Chi-Chi as a kid in Tenkaichi 3.

Then in Smash there is the fact nobody except Link can beat Ganondorf in Zelda lore but in smash everyone can juggle him around like a rag doll.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Power levels are significant in dbz although pointless, so it wouldn't make sense canon wise Goku getting beat up by Mario lol
And yet you can beat Beerus and the Super Sayian Blues with Nappa and Yamcha in FighterZ. :rolleyes:

Things like power levels only matter when it comes to storytelling. When it's just you and a few friends pummeling each other, stuff like that tends to be shoved aside in favor of a more balanced and fun experience.

Besides, friendly matches are non-canon anyway because what are the odds of Goku facing Mario in an actual DB episode?

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
To be honest, I can't believe we're discussing the idea of a meme character like Goku in Smash. Man, we seriously need E3.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I would not call Goku a meme character, at least not in its entirety. His name is not mentioned solely down to memes like Shrek and Home Depot.

But it is simply not happening.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Imagine if that "Ultimate Smash Bros roster ever" thing from Emily Roger is true.

Imagine at E3 Nintendo announce Ridley, Simon, Snake, Sora, K.rool, Bandana Dee, All FireEmblem Lord's and the 823 Pokemon and the E3 invitational Is an Iron Man Match with all characters ever.

I truly need E3. I think I'm becoming crazy.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

I'd point out this flawed logic, but seems like everyone beat me too it... eh **** it I'll do it anyway:

Let me remind you this is the same series where a metal Jigglypuff can KO a Samus with Bunny Ears using nothing but a baseball bat on Yoshi's Island.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom