• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The surfboard is an interesting mechanic which brings up some neat possibilities,, especially in the air.

There is a bit to work with for Cranky, his moveset could potentially be a mesh between classic Donkey Kong (barrels, girders,etc) and DKC (Squawks as a recovery move, Dentures, cane, gramophone, etc).

I like Dixie but I think I like Cranky a little more! For me any DKC representation in Smash would be welcomed with open arms.
Cranky Kong would be more interesting if he used potions that could turn him giant, metal, or invisible, but also it could be to his detriment and make him small.

D

Deleted member

Cranky Kong would be more interesting if he used potions that could turn him giant, metal, or invisible, but also it could be to his detriment and make him small.
I would not like that at all. That should be reserved for items, and it would be pretty unfair when he is the only one that can do it without items.

osby

Smash Obsessed
In before Dixie, Funky, and Cranky all become one character called ''The Kongs" to represent the partner swap system from the Country games.

That way every Kong fan wins.
I'd be up for it. But some might say we'd have another Pokemon Trainer in our hands.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
How would people feel about melee style clones as some DLC? Do you think that would sell? Would people be happy to buy it? I think if it was reasonably priced I’d be all for it

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Continuing on from earlier: I'm not great with Photoshop, but I'll give it a shot a combining the two. Unless someone much more talented beats me to it, then by all means:

osby

Smash Obsessed
How would people feel about melee style clones as some DLC? Do you think that would sell? Would people be happy to buy it? I think if it was reasonably priced I’d be all for it
I doubt they would create much excitement. Melee movset swaps were meant to be fillers for the base roster, which we don't need anymore. DLC characters need to appeal a certain, large fan group. If they are not returning veterans like Lucas and Roy, I don't think any character who uses another as a moveset base is a good choise for DLC, unless we have tons of them.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I wish Smash Mario wasn't so bland. And I'm not talking about his moveset, I'm talking about his voice. Where's the cheery and bouncy Mario that we all know and love? Why is he so serious in these games?
Smash Mario seemed fine from 64-Melee. He started getting real serious I feel from Brawl and on. 64 Mario was really wacky, but then again just about everything of that game was wacky (and I love it for that).

As for something non-character related to bring back? Meta Crystal with it's GOAT theme back with it.

Last edited:

BinWeevil28

Banned via Administration
Problem with Daisy comparing to Rosalina is that Rosalina's popularity sparked due to her backstory in Galaxy and Nintendo pushing her as a secondary female comparing to Daisy who was sidetracked to the spinoffs and sports. Had she made more appearance in a main game, I'll be all up for her
Well, I believe that it is starting to happen! She was introduced to Mario Run and that game was made by the main Mario team (the development name is Redsomething like other Mario platformers), in order to introduce players to the Mario series and it's characters.

Staarih

Smash Master
I dunno, to me "(last minute) clones" and "DLC" kinda defeat each other. DLC happens after the main game is out, so there shouldn't be time constraints to not be able to create unique characters... which is why clone characters as DLC would be kind of underwhelming to me (unless they're cut veterans who will retain their movesets, the veteran status sells by itself).

Got me thinking about clones and DLC in general. If I recall correctly, DLC wasn't initially planned for Smash 4 so last minute clones were thought to be added to the final game and that's that. But as we know, we ended up getting DLC anyway. This time, I think DLC is already a given at this point, so would there be a point in any last minute clones in Smash Switch? If time is an issue, they could just save a character for DLC.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I dunno, to me "(last minute) clones" and "DLC" kinda defeat each other. DLC happens after the main game is out, so there shouldn't be time constraints to not be able to create unique characters... which is why clone characters as DLC would be kind of underwhelming to me (unless they're cut veterans who will retain their movesets, the veteran status sells by itself).

Got me thinking about clones and DLC in general. If I recall correctly, DLC wasn't initially planned for Smash 4 so last minute clones were thought to be added to the final game and that's that. But as we know, we ended up getting DLC anyway. This time, I think DLC is already a given at this point, so would there be a point in any last minute clones in Smash Switch? If time is an issue, they could just save a character for DLC.
Well, we certainly won't get any last minute (Melee style) clones, because they were the result of a ridiculously little development cycle. And Smash For ones... they weren't really characters that could get their own movesets. Like, you can make Lucina and Dark Pit's specials different from Marth and Pit's but in the end, moveset differences were mostly due to the personalities.

That, and I don't think Sakurai is a fan of withholding content to save it for DLC or future installments.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
A switch between Kongs as one character doesn't work. You'd probably rather have a Dixie Kong + Kiddy Kong duo combo. And that is still a little iffy, cause both are downright semi-clones of Diddy and DK respectively. Reminds me quite a damn lot of the idea of having a Lucina + Chrom pair up duo for Smash 4, who would be Marth and Ike clones or semi-clones respectively.

It's not not a prefered idea and it's quite complicated to perform I guess. Would much rather have the Kongs as solo characters. It once had potential when Diddy wasn't yet a character, but in the end Sakurai decided against it. Which is why we still don't have Dixie Kong playable maybe.

Anyhow, when is E3?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't think that's a good idea. Just imagine an unchanged Pichu being a DLC character.

"sakuri i want a refund this is just a garbage verson of pikachu and hes really bad. lol cant beleve people actualy pay two bucks for pichuu."

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If you could get only one thing non-character related for the next game, what would it be?

I'm going with changing the loop on songs from 2 mins. to whenever the song needs it. Some remixes are seriously stumped in SSB4 because of it.
If English voice acting for Marth is too character-related, then a healthy selection of songs from FE15. Shadows of Valentia has an amazing soundtrack.

D

Deleted member

I want a better well designed menu
To add to this, one of my biggest gripes with Smash 4 is that the battle settings don't save when you turn the game off. I don't like having to constantly change the format from 2 minute timed to stock.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
To add to this, one of my biggest gripes with Smash 4 is that the battle settings don't save when you turn the game off. I don't like having to constantly change the format from 2 minute timed to stock.
I wish this is something they would've fixed in an update. It's annoying when you forget and you have to stop the match, go back to the menu, and start all over again.

I'm hoping they fix this in Smash Switch, but this is such a minor detail. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they don't touch it.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
If you could get only one thing non-character related for the next game, what would it be?

I'm going with changing the loop on songs from 2 mins. to whenever the song needs it. Some remixes are seriously stumped in SSB4 because of it.
Smash Run returns with online play for friends or randoms, and has 10 stages with more new villains from Smash franchises, even some hidden bosses that yield greater treasure when/if beaten.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Got no problem with Funky. He could theoretically make it instead of Dixie and I'd be ok with it, honestly.

Not the kroc, though. Hopefully demand gains a little more importance this time around. I don't see why we can't have a healthy mixture of old and new especially after a ballot. And ending the "relevancy!" criteria would be fun.
Yes! Someone said it. f** relevancy. There needs to be exceptions.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yes! Someone said it. f** relevancy. There needs to be exceptions.
I think characters like Little Mac or Ice Climbers are exceptions. But I get your point, if say, King K.Rool is going to be more unique and/or popular than Dixie Kong or Cranky Kong, it makes sense he'll have edge over those two.

I think relevancy makes it easier to narrowing down your character choosing pool, otherwise you'd have to deal with dozens of characters that each plausible.

D

Deleted member

I am all in favor of adding English Marth and English Roy.
Sakurai made Marth all Japaneese, because FE was Japanese-exclusive at the time, and he wanted it to show that reflection kind of.
However, as FE is now international, there is no point to make Marth Japanese for all languages.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I am all in favor of adding English Marth and English Roy.
Sakurai made Marth all Japaneese, because FE was Japanese-exclusive at the time, and he wanted it to show that reflection kind of.
However, as FE is now international, there is no point to make Marth Japanese for all languages.
I'm not sure how localization process exatly works, but I kinda doubt Sakurai is the one who calls the shots.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I think characters like Little Mac or Ice Climbers are exceptions. But I get your point, if say, King K.Rool is going to be more unique and/or popular than Dixie Kong or Cranky Kong, it makes sense he'll have edge over those two.

I think relevancy makes it easier to narrowing down your character choosing pool, otherwise you'd have to deal with dozens of characters that each plausible.
They are. They came to mind when I typed my last post. Just, there needs to be a few more. Little Mac and Ice Climbers have their own series which are iconic in their own right, If not give off the sense alone.

BinWeevil28

Banned via Administration
You know...I can see Captain Toad being a great new assist trophy. It would suit Toad more than being playable because let's face it, Toad is an assist character first and foremost and Captain Toad's game is built around his disadvantages more than his advantages. But I can see him throwing helpful items to the play or stunning opponents with a flashlight.

ErenJager

Smash Champion

• The Old Classic Mode: I preferred the Classic Mode prior to Smash 4. It felt as though you were traversing various video game universes and fighting their characters. I wouldn't mind a bit of unpredictability, but only if it's done right. By that I mean when you get to the Zelda series stage maybe you won't always fight Link, maybe sometimes it'll be Zelda & Sheik. Or maybe you fight the entire roster of Zelda characters depending of difficultly settings.

• Adventure Mode: Even if it's as basic and Melee's it still a another enjoyable mode. Maybe even a go-between Melee's adventure mode and Brawl's subspace. If i'm being over zealous i'll say a new and improved subspace.

• New Stock - New Character Mode; Similar to the end of Smash Tour, you play a stock match but each stock is a different character you chose.

• Online Stock Matches.

• The return of character specific Board The Platforms and Break The Targets. I understand it's a little over the top to request this much, but it's something i'd like. It would be nice to see this return to the old style of classic mode as well.

• Custom Moves: Get rid of them, or make unlocking them better. Repeatedly unlocking the same custom move seemed... silly. While never finding or unlocking others for some reason. I just don't really understand a point of them, they couldn't be used online or competitively so they were purely for fun. However they seemed uninspired and clearly they appear as they would be impossible to balance across the roster.

• Mii Fighters: Something needs to be done. Playable characters that aren't really entirely playable in every game mode.

• Organize the menu better.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You know...I can see Captain Toad being a great new assist trophy. It would suit Toad more than being playable because let's face it, Toad is an assist character first and foremost and Captain Toad's game is built around his disadvantages more than his advantages. But I can see him throwing helpful items to the play or stunning opponents with a flashlight.
I think Captain Toad would work better as an Assisty Trophy too, but maybe that's because I still don't understand why he got so popular in the first place.

No one was really crazy about Toad in Brawl and early Smash 4. Suddenly in 2013, we get a Toad who can't jump with a headlamp and a backpack and people suddenly go nuts for the idea of Toad in Smash. I love the little guy, but it makes me wonder how many people support Captain Toad just because of his relevancy.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Talking about DK newcomers, my Ideal DK roster would be like this:
Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong- Veterans and main characters.
King K. Rool- The main antagonist.
Rambi and Squawks- The animal buddies are a huge think in the DKC franchise. Rambi is playable in more DKC games than DK himself. They could be a duo Duck Hunt style.
Pauline- Represents the beginning of both Mario and DK franchises.

I think that with this roster all major aspects of the DK history would be covered. Dixie, Cranky and Funky are great, and I wouldn't mind their inclusion. If I had to choose, I'd pick Cranky. Being the original DK grants him more importance. And he has lots of potential with the walking stick, potions and the ghost of his deceased wife.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Talking about DK newcomers, my Ideal DK roster would be like this:
Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong- Veterans and main characters.
King K. Rool- The main antagonist.
Rambi and Squawks- The animal buddies are a huge think in the DKC franchise. Rambi is playable in more DKC games than DK himself. They could be a duo Duck Hunt style.
Pauline- Represents the begging of both Mario and DK franchises.

I think that with this roster all major aspecs of the DK history wold be covered. Dixie, Cranky and Funky are great, and I wouldn't mind their inclusion. If I had to choose, I'd pick Cranky. Being the original DK grants him more importance. And he has lots of potential with the walking stick, potions and the ghost of his deceased wife.
Rambi and Squaks!? ...... I WANT AND ABSOLUTELY NEED THIS!! :crazy:

Then again, am still gonna speak for Dixie and Funky because they are low effort additions. Maybe Dixie takes a little more work because of her Helicopter Spin, but hey as a semi-clone she won't take all too much effort. Funky even less so, as he could be a Melee-styled clone of DK but with better recovery, as he is gonna be "Easy Mode" in Tropical Freeze Switch so that's a nice nod to that.

Am still no fan of Pauline either. And I would be extremely upset if we got Pauline as a DK newcomer, and won't get at least King K.Rool, Dixie and / or Funky. There's literally NO EXCUSE not to have Donkey Kong COUNTRY newcomer this time. Plus, Oddysey is what makes Pauline "relevant" not the Arcade. She's not gonna be a retro addition, much like how Little Mac also wasn't a retro addition.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
How do you feel about the idea of Nintendo Power being represented as a character in the form of Nester. I have been thinking about Nintendo Power's impact in U.S. gaming history, and although that history would likely have nothing to do with Sakurai personally, I think I may finally have found something that could compete for a historical retro character.

Gotta be a video game character bruh. If he's not in a game, he's not gonna come around

To be fair, Nester actually DOES have some ties as a video game character in the form of both his Nester's Bowling Virtual Boy game AND ESPECIALLY his..."alter-ego(?)", Lark from Pilotwings 64 (who is WAY more likely to get into Smash, BTW).

In case you're curious to see what he looks like:

I even have a support thread for him (and the other pilots from the franchise) on SB: https://smashboards.com/threads/nin...me-to-switch-gears-for-the-next-smash.446577/

What if Nintendo released an SSB manga?
I KNOW I've seen a Smash 64 gag-manga online somewhere. What's weird is that I don't think future Smash games ever got that kind of treatment ever again. Maybe cause they were rated higher than 'E(veryone)'?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I think Captain Toad would work better as an Assisty Trophy too, but maybe that's because I still don't understand why he got so popular in the first place.

No one was really crazy about Toad in Brawl and early Smash 4. Suddenly in 2013, we get a Toad who can't jump with a headlamp and a backpack and people suddenly go nuts for the idea of Toad in Smash. I love the little guy, but it makes me wonder how many people support Captain Toad just because of his relevancy.
It's my only gripe about the Smash Speculation Community.
Whenever certain games or characters are relevant suddenly there's a rally behind that character or game.
It also applies to characters that appear in 'believable' leaks.
Suddenly a support thread pops up. People talking about how they always loved the character etc.
Yet the demand and popularity was nearly non-existent days prior.

It's almost as if perceived probability of inclusion makes the character popular rather then the other way around.

D

Deleted member

I'm not sure how localization process exatly works, but I kinda doubt Sakurai is the one who calls the shots.
Yes, I know.
I just wanted to use his name as an example of the Smash Bros. team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom